*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2013-2014 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Funny enough, I had a question related to this!

Let's say that I applied to one school ("A-COM", and let's call this application version #1), made some edits to the PS while it was still processing (version #2), and a week after it got verified and sent to the first school (on a Tuesday, I presume), I made some edits to the PS again (version #3) and then I submitted my application to another school ("B-COM").

At the end of the day, which version of the application will the schools be able to access and assess? Would "B-COM" be able to access versions #1 and #2, or just #3? If it's the former, I presume "A-COM" could access #1 as well - and if it's the latter, then I'm guessing "A-COM" could only access #2 and #3?

I hope that's not too confusing and thank you in advance!

Schools look at your most recent application

Members don't see this ad.

So my school listed physics on the transcript as 6 semester hours although I took a lab in both semesters with the lecture (they're not counted as credits). Should I e-mail the schools and let them know? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Schools look at your most recent application

Thanks for the response! I understand that, but would schools be able to access versions of applications you submitted earlier in the cycle than when you submitted to them?

Also, one more question: if I were to edit my PS now and submit it to a school, then edit it again on Sunday, then when AACOMAS submits to schools on Tuesday would that school see both versions (from today and Sunday)? Not necessarily what they would assess me based on, but I just want to know whether they could see the older version from today in addition to the latest edit on the Sunday.

Members don't see this ad :)
What should I put down for total hours under the AACOMAS Community Service Section for a week long medical relief trip?

Should I leave it blank?

How many hours did you spend working in the medical field while on this relief trip? I'd do that.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I had questions on "quality points."

We all know how to analyze GPA, but how to we appreciate our quality points? How do the schools interpret this number? My apps were released yesterday so this is the first time I have come in contact with this ambiguous term.

Thanks!

How many hours did you spend working in the medical field while on this relief trip? I'd do that.

What about hours/week for publications, posters and presentations? Should I just leave those blank too?

What about hours/week for publications, posters and presentations? Should I just leave those blank too?

Do you mean like the time you spent preparing for it/them? I believe there's a section for which you can put down publications, posters, and presentations. It had never occurred to me that you would list the time spent working to achieve that. Like for example, if you're an RA somewhere and your name gets published with the main investigators, you'd put the publication in one section and then the work experience in another. Another example: say you took a research methods course that allowed you to design a study which you ran (either subjects or participants); I do not believe that you would include your time that you were working on the study since it was part of a class. Make sense?

Publications, posters, and presentations are achievements in and of themselves. I am not a big fan of fluff. Put in the stuff that shows that you achieved something and did something meaningful. You can try to add more hours and things like that, but in the end, it's the quality not the quantity that matters.

(If anyone would care to add more/correct me, do it! :cool: )

What should I put down for total hours under the AACOMAS Community Service Section for a week long medical relief trip?

Should I leave it blank?
I was on a 3 week medical trip. I just put total hours and will discuss if brought up.

I classified my genetics class as biology on the aacomas:(. Now my processed application shows a deficit in genetics for the schools that require it. What should I do now? email the schools directly or email aacomas? I have a feeling if I email aacomas, they will re-verify my coursework and that will delay my application....

uhh, confused. Isn't genetics considered a biology class...?

I also forgot to classify my genetics properly... but my application has already been released. Should I contact DMU directly? They're the only school I applied to that requires it

So my school listed physics on the transcript as 6 semester hours although I took a lab in both semesters with the lecture (they're not counted as credits). Should I e-mail the schools and let them know? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

:confused: Why would you not ask your school to fix it and send an updated transcript?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to bump this thread, but I had questions on "quality points."

We all know how to analyze GPA, but how to we appreciate our quality points? How do the schools interpret this number? My apps were released yesterday so this is the first time I have come in contact with this ambiguous term.

Thanks!

See above :confused:

I also forgot to classify my genetics properly... but my application has already been released. Should I contact DMU directly? They're the only school I applied to that requires it

Tell AACOMAS first. If they update it, DMU will see the change in the weekly download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Hey Guys,

I submitted my application (before being verified for grades) on AACOMAS a couple of weeks ago, and I have since edited a few things in my "additional academic info" section, I was wondering, which version of my application are my schools going to get, and if they get both, which ones do they get to actually see.

Thank you

See above :confused:
I saw what Mr. Coffee wrote, but I wasn't sure if it as something we needed to focus on or if science/cumulative gpa & mcat where all we needed.

Just clarifying.

I saw what Mr. Coffee wrote, but I wasn't sure if it as something we needed to focus on or if science/cumulative gpa & mcat where all we needed.

Just clarifying.

No. It's a method to determine GPA and is just proportional to both credits and grades. That's all.

Last edited:
My application is already verified but I want to retake 2 courses this fall. Should I indicate that now or just wait until I complete the courses and resubmit new transcript?

If you're using Windows you can paste it into Notepad and then re-copy and paste it into AACOMAS. That will remove all formatting.

If the statement and other text looks good in the summary it should be fine, right? Or will it still look different to the person reading it on the other side?

Post AMCAS submission: Can I change the type of Letter of Evaluation Method? For instance can I go from "committee letter" to "letter packet" to "individual letters"? The reason that I ask is because my pre-medical committee is seems super busy and I don't hear from them for weeks and I have head a bad experience with them in the past. I do not want them holding up my application.

Also, if you list your GRE scores, do you have to have the ETS submit your scores to AMCAS/ACOMAS? If they are just decent scores (312) am I better off not mentioning them?

Do the schools know or care if you did not apply to them first?
If you haven't submitted already and had your application released amongst the first wave, you're not going to gain admittance to a DO school this cycle :(

If you haven't submitted already and had your application released amongst the first wave, you're not going to gain admittance to a DO school this cycle :(

says the guy who was telling me not to submit until my application was PERFECT... I decided to just submit my application like 5 minutes ago... I applied to 9 DO schools... yey!!!

PTL for post-AMCOMAS changes... I wish that AMCAS was the same way...

Can anyone please give me an idea of how long it took AACOMAS to verify their transcript? I've been waiting for a week now with no results..

It took them a week to verify my two transcripts. And 12 days to verify my application. Be patient

:confused: Why would you not ask your school to fix it and send an updated transcript?

It sounds like a problem with the way the school credits physics w/ lab, not an actual error on the transcript.

Your best bet is to ask someone at the school to write a brief letter indicated that you took two semesters of physics w/ lab but that they only issue six credit hours instead of the standard eight. Assuming your LORs are ready, you can throw it in that pile.

I am filling out the AACOMAS and I do not see any area to specifically enter contact information for work/activities. Are these not needed for AACOMAS?

I am filling out the AACOMAS and I do not see any area to specifically enter contact information for work/activities. Are these not needed for AACOMAS?

I didn't put contact info for anything 4 years ago. I didn't have any problems.

It;s to my understanding that if you start filling in the information for AACOMAS it will be saved for the next cycle correct? And this means everything? Personal Statements, EC descriptions, classes etc. Im applying 2014 - 2015 so it wouldn't hurt to start early. Did anyone else do the same ? Also does anyone know if the same applies to the allopathic and podiatry ones? Are these applications roughly all the same meaning they ask for the same info?

Hey guys, I took two extra quarters during my undergrad to finish my degree. What would I put down for my academic status? (Senior or post bacc?) thanks.

To update an app (has not been verified) all you have to do is edit aacomas and click save? Sounds so dumb but I feel like I should hit submit again or something?

hey I have a question about inputting the personal statement. When I paste into the box provided, should I keep the indentations or separations between paragraphs or just have it be one large paragraph (which would save characters)?? thanks!

hey I have a question about inputting the personal statement. When I paste into the box provided, should I keep the indentations or separations between paragraphs or just have it be one large paragraph (which would save characters)?? thanks!

Definitely separate your paragraphs.. I did not indent... I left a space between the paragraphs... how would you feel if you had to read one large paragraph?

update it in your application. The schools see updated apps every Tuesday

Definitely separate your paragraphs.. I did not indent... I left a space between the paragraphs... how would you feel if you had to read one large paragraph?
you left a whole entire line between paragraphs? thanks!

Should I include the grades earned in my 1 year vocational program that awarded a career certificate? None of those classes apply to my bachelors degree but were taken at a local CC.

can anyone tell me on average how many days it takes to process a transcript? been waiting a week and a half with no updates.. should i resend with fedex or something?

I think the longest it took for any of mine (3 total) was 2 weeks from the time it was emailed. There are probably more people sending in transcripts now than when I did it which would slow the process down.

can anyone tell me on average how many days it takes to process a transcript? been waiting a week and a half with no updates.. should i resend with fedex or something?

Mine was over two weeks. Give it time.

Prior to being verified I could see my cGPA and sGPA under the coursework tab. Now that I'm verified, there is no longer a cGPA or sGPA, just individual grades for each course. Is there any way to see what my GPA ended up being after verification?

My MCAT scores have just been uploaded to AACOMAS, am I correct in assuming that I don't have to do anything to have the scores sent to the schools I applied to as they get updated versions of my application? Or should I contact schools that have already sent me secondaries to tell them that my application has been updated?

My AACOMAS is marked as verified and it says that "Release dates appear next to schools." So far none of my schools have any dates next to them, but I just got my first secondary e-mail from CCOM. :confused:

If an app was verified today, how long will it take for it to be released to schools?

Anyone putting in future EC's that haven't started in their primaries?

Prior to being verified I could see my cGPA and sGPA under the coursework tab. Now that I'm verified, there is no longer a cGPA or sGPA, just individual grades for each course. Is there any way to see what my GPA ended up being after verification?

Sorry to bump this but I'm truly baffled.

Also verified today for me. My private message on their website said it would be released next week.

verified today, took ~2 weeks.

Oh wow good to know- my AMCAS only took 1 day so I was wondering- guess since this is all reg decision it's a bit slower thanks