Official 2020-2021 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitaminr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post everything here related to 2020 - 2021 Rheumatology Fellowship Application. Good luck to All

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, all rheumatic disease is cured because someone added zinc to HCQ. Moving on.

Good luck all. Hard year to apply, but the field is fantastic.

Applying rheum this cycle! :D
Should be an interesting cycle for all to say the least, personally I wonder how the virtual format and delayed timeline will affect # of applicants interviewed per program and what interview days will look like in the virtual format.
Good Luck to all others applying!

Since the program cannot download application until August 12, we have until then to complete our application without getting delayed, right?

Can associate PD write the mandatory PD LOR instead of program director? If the PD that knew the applicant well is gone and a new PD has just arrived, who the applicant has never worked with. Associate PD knows the applicant well and can write a genuine letter. Do the programs view APD letter as a red flag as compared to PD, or they understand?

Can associate PD write the mandatory PD LOR instead of program director? If the PD that knew the applicant well is gone and a new PD has just arrived, who the applicant has never worked with. Associate PD knows the applicant well and can write a genuine letter. Do the programs view APD letter as a red flag as compared to PD, or they understand?

I was in a similar situation when I applied for fellowship. My PD who left right before my 3rd year wrote my entire class' LORs for fellowships since the new PD did not know us as well.

I was in a similar situation when I applied for fellowship. My PD who left right before my 3rd year wrote my entire class' LORs for fellowships since the new PD did not know us as well.
Thanks for your reply. My old PD has been MIA and out of contact.

I'm applying this year. Dumb question, will all interviews be virtual? I feel like this puts me at a disadvantage as I feel like I could probably sell myself better in person.

I'm applying this year. Dumb question, will all interviews be virtual? I feel like this puts me at a disadvantage as I feel like I could probably sell myself better in person.
Thats what I have been hearing as well. I did not see any official notice but given all the hospital restrictions and only allowing essential employees thats totally possible

In my program APD wrote the PD lette. My APD said they do it all the time for residents and should not be any problem. I do get a decent amount of interviews but I cannot r/o any possibilities that any particular program may care since they write explicitly "PD letter" as their requirement

Members don't see this ad :)
In my program APD wrote the PD lette. My APD said they do it all the time for residents and should not be any problem. I do get a decent amount of interviews but I cannot r/o any possibilities that any particular program may care since they write explicitly "PD letter" as their requirement
Great. Thank you

Is there a website / resource that sorts out and compare the rheumatology programs in terms of how many spots per year and other details?

The NRMP PRISM App also has information on the number of positions per program, but FREIDA is the way to go otherwise. Totally wish there was an insiders guide to programs, my training program does not have a Rheumatology fellowship...

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on things I should look for that make a strong fellowship program or nuanced questions I should ask during interviews? I am very much interested in a clinical training program, so maybe even recs on which programs are more clinical.

Thanks!

The NRMP PRISM App also has information on the number of positions per program, but FREIDA is the way to go otherwise. Totally wish there was an insiders guide to programs, my training program does not have a Rheumatology fellowship...

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on things I should look for that make a strong fellowship program or nuanced questions I should ask during interviews? I am very much interested in a clinical training program, so maybe even recs on which programs are more clinical.

Thanks!

knowing you want a clinical program is a huge stepping stone to finding the right program for you.

now the question is what makes a “good clinical program”

is it scut heavy programs, where you learn by sheer volume? is it a certain population you want to work with? is it procedures (who gets called to tap a joint in the ed?) is it a specific attending? ultrasound? Do you want va exposure?

i think as you read thru program websites and their faculty you’ll get a sense for what theyre about

Thanks!

I think the answer is exposure to all of rheumatology. This is hard to gauge. Ask fellows how much lupus, scleroderma, myositis, etc they see. In some larger cities, many large institutions split the pie and have their own focus, so some institutions may see 95% of the scleroderma cases while other see all the vasculitis. This is bad for training. Look whether the institution has subspecialty clinics and how many. It suggests that the volume is larger, but keep in mind that in some institutions there are 8 faculty members in one subspecialty clinic full time while in others it is a half day for 1 person. Ask the fellows.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the answer is exposure to all of rheumatology. This is hard to gauge. Ask fellows how much lupus, scleroderma, myositis, etc they see. In some larger cities, many large institutions split the pie and have their own focus, so some institutions may see 95% of the scleroderma cases while other see all the vasculitis. This is bad for training. Look whether the institution has subspecialty clinics and how many. It suggests that the volume is larger, but keep in mind that in some institutions there are 8 faculty members in one subspecialty clinic full time while in others it is a half day for 1 person. Ask the fellows.
I think these are the aspects of a Rheumatology fellowship program that I don't have exposure too without having a home program.
Seems like some serious investigative work is in order... :unsure:
I definitely am looking for that broad clinical training, potentially with a focus in medical eduction

Given this year the interviews will be virtual / online, how do applicants assess the program? At the same time without the body language, the programs will have hard time judging an applicant. I have a difficult time making a conversation online. I just mostly answer questions and then there is an awkward silence

^it's going to be super awkward.. at least we're all in the same boat so the playing field will still be level

Given this year the interviews will be virtual / online, how do applicants assess the program? At the same time without the body language, the programs will have hard time judging an applicant. I have a difficult time making a conversation online. I just mostly answer questions and then there is an awkward silence

i think the speculation is people with home-programs will favor staying at their institution.

regardless. applicants will over-apply, applicants will hoard interviews, and pds will have no idea who to offer interviews to.

the only real winner$ are the one$ collecting the fee$.

Good luck to all applying! Tomorrow is the day!
i'm so nervous - GIF - Imgur

Reactions: 3 users
Did you guys receive emails from any program you applied to that they received your ERAS application??
My co-residents applying for other specialties received emails here and there, but I didn't get any... and I'm paranoid my application didn't go through lol...

Did you guys receive emails from any program you applied to that they received your ERAS application??
My co-residents applying for other specialties received emails here and there, but I didn't get any... and I'm paranoid my application didn't go through lol...

I have only gotten one and I applied pretty broadly. I wouldn’t sweat it.

having said that, I’m resisting the urge to apply to all 123 programs....

Last edited:
I received one, but believe that means nothing.
However I know that people applying to endo and ID already got interviews!!!

I haven't gotten any emails or heard back either!

I applied I believe quite broadly (at least how I feel about it anyways) and got just one confirmation of receipt thus far.
It is quite early still, but I am sure the "We've received your application" emails and/or interviews will come as early as next week if not sooner!
Fight the urge to apply to all 123 programs lol

No confirmation emails here either. As long as you make sure all of the documents have been assigned to the programs, I think you're good. This is yet another exercise in patience, guys, but we've got this!

Definitely an exercise in patience! :) I think it's also harder this year, because previous year's time stamps of when interviews were offered doesn't really help us because our timeline is off.. good luck to us all!

I got an interview from University of Florida Jacksonville today.

AMG
8/14- University of Florida, Jacksonville

Hi all, I am non US IMG, need visa. I am in the need of a good mentor who can guide through the interview trail, as its very competitive for IMGs

I really like this format they are using over on PCCM to track interviews.. I think it would give us all more information.

Good luck to everyone!!

AMG-MD:

AMG-DO:

IMG-US (does NOT need Visa):

IMG-International (needs Visa):

Rejections:

AMG-MD:

AMG-DO:

Rejections:

AMG-MD:
8/15- Oregon Health & Science University

AMG-DO:

Rejections:

Reactions: 1 users
AMG-MD:
8/17- Virginia Commonwealth University

AMG-DO:

Rejections:

AMG-MD:
8/17- Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Iowa

AMG-DO:

Rejections:

AMG-MD:
8/17- Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Iowa, Emory

AMG-DO:

Rejections:

AMG-MD:
8/17- Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Iowa, Emory, Henry Ford

AMG-DO:

Rejections:

AMG-MD:
8/18- Loyola

AMG-DO:

Rejections:

AMG-MD:
8/18- Loyola

AMG-DO:

8/18: Loyola

Rejections:

AMG-MD:
8/18- Loyola, University of Pennsylvania

AMG-DO:

8/18: Loyola

Rejections:

IMG-US (does NOT need Visa)
8/19: University of Florida- Gainesville, LSU-Shreveport

I feel like the interviews are moving so much slower in comparison to other specialities. Not sure what to make of it. :meh:

I feel like the interviews are moving so much slower in comparison to other specialities. Not sure what to make of it. :meh:

agree, I’ve been stalking the other threads and infectious disease especially seems to be on fire.
Rheumatology seems to be the most sluggish. Some Cardiology programs apparently stopped taking applications after August 14