Official 2021-2022 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been invited to the Cleveland Clinic?
Yes, received an invite yesterday. Have you heard from UC Irvine if you applied?

Members don't see this ad.

Screenshot_20210903-185815_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting this. Curious, for the people with >16 interviews, are you planning on going to all of them? I feel like there is diminishing returns after 8-9, especially for AMGs
I believe it is hard to schedule so many. Also it may be tough to do more than 10, even virtual. What do you mean by diminishing returns? And why it is relevant for AMGs?

I believe it is hard to schedule so many. Also it may be tough to do more than 10, even virtual. What do you mean by diminishing returns? And why it is relevant for AMGs?
Looking at the charting the match 2018, on average, AMGs with 7 ranks had a 90% of matching. For IMGs, that number is 10, so I guess the question is relevant for both groups of applicants.

Looking at the charting the match 2018, on average, AMGs with 7 ranks had a 90% of matching. For IMGs, that number is 10, so I guess the question is relevant for both groups of applicants.
Thank you for clarification! I believe with virtual interviews people schedule more on average, since money is not an issue.

based on the 2018 NRMP data, don't u need like 16 interviews to hit the asymptote.

Hey Anyone got invite from university of Arizona?
(curious how they got invited - very strange invitation for me)

Direct email with one interview date offered and some follow up questions
Okay. I guess it’s the same but never had that before.. so thought it’s unusual that they don’t offer other dates to choose from.
Thank you

With interviews being virtual, I've heard of programs sending more invites than when it was in person. Has anyone heard of how many interviews is a safe number to match? I know the 2018 data is available but that was pre-virtual. All the best luck to everyone in this match!

Members don't see this ad :)
Canceled a couple of interviews on the east coast. Hopefully it’ll go out to one of you fine folks. Best of luck

Yes, received an invite yesterday. Have you heard from UC Irvine if you applied?
Thank you. I finally got a Clinic invitation as well. I did not apply to Irvine and just withdrew from interviews with USC, UCLA, and San Diego because I will not be able to relocate to California. Hope you get good news!

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but does anyone have an idea of how much longer one can reasonably expect to get interviews? I know you have to certify your list by some point in November, but is it realistic to expect interviews into the 1st-2nd week of October?

Hi guys,
I remember while ago someone shared the information about programs to help us for ranking. like how each program is, he mentioned he found it in the forum from last year. I can not find that post. Any idea?

Hi guys,
I remember while ago someone shared the information about programs to help us for ranking. like how each program is, he mentioned he found it in the forum from last year. I can not find that post. Any idea?
took a mini deep dive and only found this post from a few years back of one persons opinions on their rank list. but otherwise not sure of any document! every now and then on forums from other years people will share their opinions on how to rank things.

yes, I got an invite from UCF last week too. didn't accept. good luck, y'all!

Curious to know people's thoughts on the following programs.

1. Stony Brook- there is an interim PD and it looks like they are searching for a new PD. Not once was this mentioned and the intro for the program was 8 slides about SB's history. Nothing was mentioned about the curriculum, clinics etc and most of the site was about Yao syndrome named after the Chair/current PD of the program. Interview was just rapid fire and personally they did not seem that interested. It seems like it could be a great program but I got a weird vibe during the interview.

2. Downstate- Seems like a very busy program. Faculty and fellows seem nice but Downstate is known to be malignant for IM so I'm wondering if this translates over to the Rheum dept. Also no one to do prior auths makes it seem like a lot of time will be used with clerical responsibilities.

Also does name really matter for going into private practice?

took a mini deep dive and only found this post from a few years back of one persons opinions on their rank list. but otherwise not sure of any document! every now and then on forums from other years people will share their opinions on how to rank things.

Thanks for finding this. Fun to read. Too bad I didn't interview at many of the places on this list

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how match is going for everyone -- are people relatively confident, kind of know where they are going to be matching or just have absolutely no idea/hoping for the best?

How are people formulating rank lists: location, reputation, research opportunities, etc? I feel like programs are now similar than different and the differences I see may just be perceived differences on my part.

Here's the data from 2018 (most recent year it was available) regarding chances of matching based on number of contiguous ranks stratified by MD, DO, IMG, etc. I would imagine it could be slightly more competitive now, but it's good to have some idea. For those who want to review further, you can click the charting outcomes in the match on Fellowship Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program.

1633789617152.png

How are people formulating rank lists: location, reputation, research opportunities, etc? I feel like programs are now similar than different and the differences I see may just be perceived differences on my part.
I am ranking on location, then mainly on how awesome the people are? It was hard to decide any other way for me.

I think I’m ranking based on combo of location, “vibe” I got, reputation of program, amount of scholarly activity being done and distance to family/friends. Still have 2 more interviews, so will probably get a little more into the nitty gritty for the top of my rank list once I’m done.

Everyone will have things they value in a program/location. I will be ranking based on location, program reputation, clinical vs academic focus, how fellows like the program and other fellows, and faculty/fellow mentoring relationship. Ultimately I want to have a "fun" 2 years of experience in a program that would help me thrive in a clinical or academic setting.

Hi all, I am having difficulty ranking Einstein Montefiore, Northwell health, U Chicago, and U of Illinois programs. Hope to hear from others who have interviewed there. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, I am having difficulty ranking Einstein Montefiore, Northwell health, U Chicago, and U of Illinois programs. Hope to hear from others who have interviewed there. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Are you bound to any particular location in general? How much do you care about reputation? Are you trying to go private practice or academics?

If it were me, I would rank in the following:

U Chicago
Montefiore/University of Illinois
Northwell

I interviewed at Chicago and really liked it. University of Illinois seemed a bit disorganized. Monte vs UofI will depend on geographic preference although I did not interview at Monte or Northwell. The reason I put Northwell last is that it’s associated medical school, Hofstra, is still pretty new and Northwell as a whole still has a community hospital feel to it, but I think they have a good network if you are looking to do private practice in the tristate area.

Last edited:
Hey guys, having trouble deciding how to rank the University of Washington, Stanford, Rush, and Emory. I am pretty open geographically and am open to both private practice and academics. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input. I'm not bound by any geographic location but would prefer to remain on the east coast. I envision my career being mostly clinical with a tiny bit of education/research. Either working for a multi-specialty group, or hospital system, or clinical in an academic institute.

I really like the U Chicago program and I agree U Illinois seems to lack a core structure. I love my 1st and 2nd choice and would be happy to end up there, but I'm struggling with 3rd to 6th (U Chicago, Monte, Northwell, and UIC), 7th-10th are outside my geographic preference. This whole ranking process isn't easy.

I did not interview at the University of Washington, Stanford, Rush, and Emory. However, I personally would rank Stanford > Emory > Rush > U Wash based on reputation, didactics, research, location, career pathway of previous fellows.

Joining the ranking question bandwagon.

Any thoughts on musc vs Baylor?

Also can anyone from northeast comment on Beth Israel? They fact that it’s a relatively newer program makes me a little nervous, and I don’t really know how it fits in with the whole Boston academic scene since I’m not from the area.

Also agree with UIC being disorganized, didn’t love that.

Curious to know people's thoughts on the following programs.

1. Stony Brook- there is an interim PD and it looks like they are searching for a new PD. Not once was this mentioned and the intro for the program was 8 slides about SB's history. Nothing was mentioned about the curriculum, clinics etc and most of the site was about Yao syndrome named after the Chair/current PD of the program. Interview was just rapid fire and personally they did not seem that interested. It seems like it could be a great program but I got a weird vibe during the interview.

2. Downstate- Seems like a very busy program. Faculty and fellows seem nice but Downstate is known to be malignant for IM so I'm wondering if this translates over to the Rheum dept. Also no one to do prior auths makes it seem like a lot of time will be used with clerical responsibilities.

Also does name really matter for going into private practice?

people look up their doctors and make biased/false presumption. “prestige” unfortunately is a thing

Are you bound to any particular location in general? How much do you care about reputation? Are you trying to go private practice or academics?

If it were me, I would rank in the following:

U Chicago
Montefiore/University of Illinois
Northwell

I interviewed at Chicago and really liked it. University of Illinois seemed a bit disorganized. Monte vs UofI will depend on geographic preference although I did not interview at Monte or Northwell. The reason I put Northwell last is that it’s associated medical school, Hofstra, is still pretty new and Northwell as a whole still has a community hospital feel to it, but I think they have a good network if you are looking to do private practice in the tristate area.

id rank u of chicago and the remainder based on locality.

Hey guys, having trouble deciding how to rank the University of Washington, Stanford, Rush, and Emory. I am pretty open geographically and am open to both private practice and academics. Any input would be appreciated.

I’d go u of washington > stanford > emory > rush

for me:

i’d rank the program based on “strength of training” (as best designed to fit ur needs) > location > prestige

gl everyone

Last edited:
For anyone who interviewed at Yale, what vibe did you get from the fellows in regards to how happy they are, strength of their training. I feel like I got conflicting sense during the meeting with them.

For anyone who interviewed at Yale, what vibe did you get from the fellows in regards to how happy they are, strength of their training. I feel like I got conflicting sense during the meeting with them.
oh really, the fellows I might with were very blunt about it. what did you feel from the interview?

oh really, the fellows I might with were very blunt about it. what did you feel from the interview?
I italked 2nd year fellows. I got a lot of 1st year was really hard and there may have been some promises that weren’t kept and not so nice attendings to work with but still liked their training. I felt like they were being vague at times. Just wondering if other people got a clearer sense of how things are. What was your or anyone elses perception?

I italked 2nd year fellows. I got a lot of 1st year was really hard and there may have been some promises that weren’t kept and not so nice attendings to work with but still liked their training. I felt like they were being vague at times. Just wondering if other people got a clearer sense of how things are. What was your or anyone elses perception?
egos maybe?

Didn’t interview at Yale, but I feel like the first year is tough at many programs.

i got the sense they were displeased with some of the general politics of the program/attendings etc and it had made them not enjoy their experience. they were being pretty up front about some of the things they did not like, which is just their opinion so should be taken with a grain of salt. I dont think any of it was related to the quality of the training, more was related to interpersonal issues

Just finished my last interview and certified my rank list! :eek:

christian bale joker GIF

Hello everyone,

Wanted to get thoughts on where to rank the following options as I figure out the top of my rank list. Best of luck to everyone.

UPenn vs UPMC vs northwestern vs uchicago.

Just wanted to get others vibes/thoughts. Thanks so much!

Hello everyone,

Wanted to get thoughts on where to rank the following options as I figure out the top of my rank list. Best of luck to everyone.

UPenn vs UPMC vs northwestern vs uchicago.

Just wanted to get others vibes/thoughts. Thanks so much!
They all sound like great options. I think it will largely depend on your geographic preference. I’m not familiar with Penn and UPMC, but for the Chicago programs, I would personally rank NW > UC

Happy final weeks everyone.

Please help us and fill out this quick survey regarding your ranking and what you value in a program. Hopefully, this will add some extra insight into what we value going into the match. The results will be shared here for everyone to see.

Rheum fellowship application