Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Took it on Aug 15th. New pool of questions haha. Had new question types that looked like admission and discharge summaries i.e. super long stem
Yeah same, I took mine on the 17th that's why I was asking, you got your results but the lot that took it on Saturday hasn't yet

Step 1 - mid 220's
U-world first pass (did during MS-3, didn't complete bank): ~63%
U-world "second pass" (did 1000ish questions): 73%
UWSA1: 217 (2.5w out, 7w after end of MS-3, hadn't studied for CK during that time)
UWSA2: 254 (2d before)
Step 2 CK - low 240's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 - mid 220's
UWSA1: 217 (2.5w out, 7w after end of MS-3, hadn't studied for CK during that time)
Step 2 CK - low 240's.

Hey nice work! That’s good improvement!

Need advice. Still have about 200 questions left in uworld. Took me about 3 months to get through uworld; this was my 2nd pass, did first pass over a year ago. Took nbme 8 three weeks ago and scored 248. Took uwsa 1 yesterday, scored 258. Exam date is 11th Sept. Should i push the date and get through the remaining 200 questions, incorrects and a quick read of my notes OR should i finish the 200 questions in a couple of days, take uwsa 2 and give it on he 11th?
Step 1 is 248, CS pass, YOG 2017

Need advice. Still have about 200 questions left in uworld. Took me about 3 months to get through uworld; this was my 2nd pass, did first pass over a year ago. Took nbme 8 three weeks ago and scored 248. Took uwsa 1 yesterday, scored 258. Exam date is 11th Sept. Should i push the date and get through the remaining 200 questions, incorrects and a quick read of my notes OR should i finish the 200 questions in a couple of days, take uwsa 2 and give it on he 11th?
Take it on the scheduled date, you are likely at the point of diminishing returns as you have been going at this for 3 months. You do have to do what feels comfortable for you though. While you can never feel totally prepared, once you are scoring in the high 250s, there is little to glean from continuing, in my experience.

For sure take this test on the original date. You’ve done thousands of questions, another couple hundred aren’t gonna make the difference.

Reactions: 1 user
So does anyone know the answer to this. Do people actually do better on Step 2 or is the scale just shifted? I mean despite the difference in percentiles is a 230 on step 1 and 230 on step 2 supposed to be an equivalent performance?

So does anyone know the answer to this. Do people actually do better on Step 2 or is the scale just shifted? I mean despite the difference in percentiles is a 230 on step 1 and 230 on step 2 supposed to be an equivalent performance?

I mean, “equivalence” between the tests IMO would mean same relative performance (percentile) rather than same numerical score. I don’t really know how else you could compare them but I am not sure why or how the numerical score is generated (I.e. is it the same overall amount correct or something).

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, is it reliable?

Well, I thought I was getting my score last Wednesday and wasnt able to register last Monday. I looked at some old threads and there was a guy who failed and then passed the retake, he wasnt able to register before the release the time he failed but he was able to the time he passed. I havent seen any contradictions posted either(unlike for the "step 3 trick")

I'm assuming the "step 3 trick" for registering doesn't work for DO's since we don't usually take Step 2 CS..?

I think it will work for DO's that have taken step 1 and CS. Like you said most dont take CS so it wont work for those who do not but I dont think being a DO will prevent it from working for those who have taken the other 2 exams.

Step 1 - mid 220's
Step 2 CK - low 240's.

Good job! How did you prepare to arrive at the significant increase in your UWSA in ~2 weeks. What was your strategy?

Good job! How did you prepare to arrive at the significant increase in your UWSA in ~2 weeks. What was your strategy?
i don't have the best answer. The day I took USWA1 had a lot of external stressors so that might have depressed my score. Otherwise, I just hadn't really been studying for CK during the 1.5 before- between studying for and taking CS, a week of vacation and a Sub-i. I think a lot of it was justing doing a lot a questions again and getting in that head space. More over, as my UWSA 2 score was 10ish points higher than my CK score I think I wouldn't think too much into how my got from a 217 to a 254 in on UWSAs as it isn't really the relevant measure.

Step 1-216
step 2-226
Nbme 6- 209
Nbme 7-236
Uwsa 1-240

I’m so disappointed. I did walk out feeling like I failed so I guess it’s good I passed??

Studied for about 1 month for step 2 ck. Unfortunately was so burned out after studying for step 1 that I took year 3 very easy. Did not study for shelfs much except for 2-3 days before each one. Really hit my stride and learned how I studied best 1 month out but unfortunately was too late.

Applying in psychiatry. Anyone think I have a shot? I’m a DO student.

Step 1-216
step 2-226
Nbme 6- 209
Nbme 7-236
Uwsa 1-240

I’m so disappointed. I did walk out feeling like I failed so I guess it’s good I passed??

Studied for about 1 month for step 2 ck. Unfortunately was so burned out after studying for step 1 that I took year 3 very easy. Did not study for shelfs much except for 2-3 days before each one. Really hit my stride and learned how I studied best 1 month out but unfortunately was too late.

Applying in psychiatry. Anyone think I have a shot? I’m a DO student.

Hey, congratulations on passing. So sorry you didn't get the score you were hoping for. 240 to 226 is quite a difference but I heard UWSA 1 tends to overpredict. When did you take it and did you take UWSA2? I think you still have a shot for psych, try to stay optimistic.

244! Not the best score and was hoping for a little higher (UWSA 1 was 253, UWSA2 was 248) but overall content. Got a 231 Step 1. Hoping the 13 point bump helps at least a little.

After freaking out (see previous post) , finally got my score.

Step 1: 249
UWSA1: 240 (two months out), retook two weeks out and got a 257 but didn’t put to much weight on that since I was familiar with what I’ve seen on the exam
UWSA2: 251 (one week out)
NBME7 (the most predictive supposedly): 245 (two days out)
UWORLD second pass: 79%
Free 120: 85%
Step 2 CK: 259

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, congratulations on passing. So sorry you didn't get the score you were hoping for. 240 to 226 is quite a difference but I heard UWSA 1 tends to overpredict. When did you take it and did you take UWSA2? I think you still have a shot for psych, try to stay optimistic.
I took UWSA1 about 2.3 weeks out. I did 3 blocks of UWSA 2 the night before but was scoring less then average so I didnt want to psych myself out with the score.

Have so many regrets from this year. Would have done things so differently, but i guess i need to forgive myself that it was first time in a clinical enviornment.

Scores out!

Actual: 250

Uworld FP %: 69%
Uworld second pass: 79%
NBME 6: 250
NBME 7: 252
NBME 8: 252
USWA1: 245
USWA2: 260
Step 1: 231

ended up falling where my averages were anyways, plus scores are good enough for EM. Thank god this experience is over - worst exam I've ever taken imo.

Scores out!

ended up falling where my averages were anyways, plus scores are good enough for EM. Thank god this experience is over - worst exam I've ever taken imo.
awesome! how where the shelf exams for you in general if you don't mind me askin?

Scores out!

also can you message me I have a few questions about EM in general!

US MD

Step 2: 257

Step 1: 221

UW first pass: 70% (100% complete)

UW second pass: 88% (100% complete)

UWSA 1: 256

UWSA 2: 266

Free 120: 88%

I didn’t do any NBMEs. 4 week dedicated using only uworld and keeping up with anki. I used zanki step 2 throughout 3rd year and made my own cards based off uworld concepts not covered in zanki.

I was hoping for >260, but I can’t complain seeing as I improved quite a bit from step 1. Happy I wasn’t an outlier this time as I scored 28 points below my UWSA 2 on step 1.

Good luck to all! I’m happy to answer any questions.

Edit to add test day experience for people yet to take it:

I get bad test anxiety for big exams so I was pretty nervous heading in, but when it started it felt like I was taking another UWSA that was slightly harder than the practice ones. I definitely had easy questions and WTF questions. For about 60-70% of the test I was able to narrow it down to 2-3 answer choices and just went with my gut. Didn’t change any answers and maybe marked 2-3 questions per block to come back and re-read to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I was finishing uworld blocks with about 7-10 minutes to spare. On the real deal I finished each block with 10-20 minutes to spare (thank you short stems). After the exam I was mostly relieved it was over. Maybe knowing that I was going to do a lot of guessing helped me not feel like crap like everyone else here does? Not dwelling on questions during the exam helped me not be able to remember a ton of them in the subsequent weeks. I’m sure I missed a bunch of easy ones.

Overall, expect to guess on a lot of questions, be confident, trust your prep, trust your practice scores, party after it’s done.

Last edited:
US MD

Step 1: 227

Step 2: 242

UWSA 1 (before I started dedicated): 232

UWSA 2: 245

NBME 7: 241

Meh. Not thrilled, not devastated. It's what I expected but not what I was hoping for.

US MD

Step 2: 272

Step 1: 261

UW first pass: 82% (100% complete)

UW second pass: 91% (100% complete)

UWSA 1: 279

UWSA 2: 270

Free 120: 92%

No NBME's

No anki

Shelves were all >90th percentile.

Hello, I wanted to share my experience. I am a non US IMG, I completed my practice material in the following order:

NBME6 - 235 - in March
NBME7 - 243 - in May
UW first pass: 72%
Amboss - I do not remember my %.
UW1: 251
UW2: 256 - 2-3 weeks before my exam
Step 2 CK: 244 - in August

I am a little bit disappointed. The software unexpectedly crushed during my exam, which was pretty stressful. Should I try to get my score rechecked?

Thanks and good luck for everybody!

Hey all,
Have a technical question :p
If you take your exam on a Saturday,should you expect your score on the 3rd upcoming Wednesday or the 4th one?

I took it on 8/31 (Saturday) and my permit disappeared today which means I will be receiving the report in the 3rd Wednesday. I was able to register for Step 3.

I haven't taken the CS yet :(
Hopefully mine will be out on Wednesday too :)
Good luck to you and anyone who's waiting ;)

You could register on FSMB go to FCVS and under Education & Certification then Examination History supposedly you could see if you passed the test at about 12-1 AM later tonight, on the day that your score comes out. I think that trick would work even if you have not taken CS yet.

FCVS says Pass. The FCVS trick works at 12 AM of day in which you’ll receive your results. For future readers, my conclusions:

- on Sunday before the Wednesday you receive your score report your permit link will disappear
- on Monday through FSMB it will permit you to start Step 3 application if you passed and have passed Step 2 CS and Step 1. Otherwise it will say that you are currently not eligible
- on Wednesday at 12 AM central time you will be able to see if you passed through FCVS

Got my step 2 CK score today. 259. Not what I was hoping for as I was averaging > 260 on my NBMEs and UWSA. However, I felt like I failed the test and confirmed at least 30 wrong questions coming out of it so I can't complain. At least it's over!

CK score back today
Real deal: 265

UWSA1: 254
UWSA2: 259
Step 1: 250+
COMLEX 1: 800+
COMLEX PÉ: pass

I took both of the UW practice and exams in June but didn’t take CK until end of August so I doubt there is much correlation between these scores. I used a few passes of Uworld and used sketchy pharm and micro. I also used and really liked First aid for step 2 CK.

So nice to have this done and to have increased percentiles.

STEP 1- 228
STEP 2 CK- 239
STEP 2 CS- REMAING
NBME 8-243
UWSA1- 248
UWSA2- 246

I'm aiming for IM or PEDS. what are my chances of getting a match?
what more I can do to increase probability of matching?