Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
On my exam the 2 blocks of 38 had the article based 3 question sets included. Pretty sure thats by design. Make sure to allocate as much time to those as possible.

My exam was very hard and i feel like i got hit by a massive bus. Counted 15 or so wrong so far but im so dazed i can barely remember 10% of the questions.
Are the article questions pretty similar to the ones on Uworld?

Hey everyone!

Im a foreign IMG. Originally took ck August 18 and the worst thing possible happened and didnt pass ( and dont think I didnt study, I did, passed all my shelves even honoring some, but usually im a bad test taker even though my grasp of concepts are adequate. I passed step 1 and CS first try)
So imagine studying all over again...

Just got out of the exam today...( imagine also getting out and finding out half hr afterward you grandma pssed rough day today) and just as brutal second time around. Tbh in my opinion not to discourage people but I would have wished i knew upfront I was getting myself into; nbmes and self assessments didnt truly reflect the actual exam. The test itself was not well rounded, very theme qts on same topic so if u didnt know it in block 1 wouldnt know it in block 4,5, 8 etc ... a lot of very sticky ethical qts where in real life i still wouldnt know what to do. And some of those outliers that are just like wtf. The concept of common things are common doesnt apply for this exam.

Ill keep you posted! Pls wish me luck! And let me know what you guys who took it think, and i those studing i used mtb, ome, uworld, secrets over the two exams, let me know if u have qts.
Would you please tell me your %in uworld ?
As I am 60% and fell that is no enough to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the article questions pretty similar to the ones on Uworld?
Uworld has added a lot of step 2 questions. When I started this fall it was like 24xx now like almost 2600 and most added are pretty esoteric. Assuming they made ck broader recently over past few years

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, I have a request from this group of amazing people. I have my exam on 27th February and I don't have an active UW subscription now. If anyone who took the exam recently can share their Q bank with me I would be very thankful. I am asking this because I don't have the funds to buy a new Q bank now and I want to revise Paeds and OBGYN from uw once more.
If anyone can help please respond to this.

Thank you.

Uworld has added a lot of step 2 questions. When I started this fall it was like 24xx now like almost 2600 and most added are pretty esoteric. Assuming they made ck broader recently over past few years
I agree. When I did my first pass vs now seems the questions have gotten longer and more vague for sure. Can’t wait to be done with step though. One more week of this bull

Any advice on last week? Scored a 245 on uwsa 2. Been focusing at least one day purely on my weak areas.
Anybody read the rapid review section of FA 2 before their test and found it useful?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Review the lysosomal storage disorders, glycogen storage disorders, basic anatomy like humerus fractures, and just the rapid review, etc...

Review the lysosomal storage disorders, glycogen storage disorders, basic anatomy like humerus fractures, and just the rapid review, etc...

Also the basic genetic disorders, and i still used the big chart in FA step 1 for immunodeficiencies. (Wow i feel like i just listed so much) but that should be plenty enough

Advice?

Did UWSA1 & 2, got 242 and 252 respectively. Have about 500 questions left on Uworld medicine to go and less than 2 weeks until my exam.
Question: Should I bother with NBMEs or should I just focus on Uworld and my anki deck of my wrong questions?
My goal is to get 240, I got a 225 on step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Just watching the videos everyday?

I was but now I just finished UW yesterday so working on weaker subjects (OBGYN and surgery) just building on concepts for further retention. I will probably redo all medicine tho since it makes up most the exam I feel like. Gonna redo my incorrects for UW and prob gonna reset to work on stamina at this point. Gonna take the advice from @Ballinmd19 and take a look at FA rapid review doesnt seem too bad and should be a quick read everyday. Gonna throw in biostats as well cause I've been avoiding it.
Upset by my UWSA score although I passed shouldve scored a 250+ cause I made silly mistakes so gotta make some notes on how they were presenting Sx's for some diseases. The way that were asking some question made me second guess myself so I'm upset I didn't go with my gut.

Question: I know ppl have been saying the style on the real deal was similar to UWSA which I see is different from UW/NBME imo, is it wise to make notes on those phrases they give in UWSA for the real deal?

Tbh i didnt feel like anything really correlated with the real thing ( and im anxious to see what you think when you get out of the real thing). I read your plan and I think it is a solid one, and i know each exam is different but both time I had heavy obgyn so good to look at that topic. I also recommend to review ethics and family med concepts. Like which screening necessary at what ages

Tbh i didnt feel like anything really correlated with the real thing ( and im anxious to see what you think when you get out of the real thing). I read your plan and I think it is a solid one, and i know each exam is different but both time I had heavy obgyn so good to look at that topic. I also recommend to review ethics and family med concepts. Like which screening necessary at what ages

Thanks man, appreciate it and the advice.

Advice?

Did UWSA1 & 2, got 242 and 252 respectively. Have about 500 questions left on Uworld medicine to go and less than 2 weeks until my exam.
Question: Should I bother with NBMEs or should I just focus on Uworld and my anki deck of my wrong questions?
My goal is to get 240, I got a 225 on step 1.
I would t bother with the nbmes. They suck lol I’d just stick to what you’re doing and review your weak areas

Sitting here mulling over the questions i got wrong while waiting for my score, figured id do a write up and just update it later.

US MD

Shelf exams (percent correct/raw)/prep during the year:
Medicine (first one): some SUTM, mostly uworld and uptodate - shelf 85+
Surg: de virg, pestanas, uworld - shelf 85+
Obgyn: uwise, uworld, blueprints - shelf 90+
Neuro: not much studying - shelf 95+
Peds: uworld, some brs, utd - shelf 90+
Psych: uworld and first aid psych - shelf 95+

Dedicated was about 4 weeks. Basically just uworld and UTD. Repeated uworld (finished it during the year) and then did my 100 or so incorrects again. Took notes throughout but didnt review them (big mistake as i missed a few i couldve gotten by just reviewing).
NBME 8 - 282 - not sure why i crushed this one honestly. Thought it was really easy and very diagnostic based, which is my strength. Didnt really put much stock into this score, expecting it to overpredict by at least 10.
UWSA 1 and 2: low 270s (first taken as a diagnostic and 2nd 2 weeks later). Took my time reviewing these as they really often do teach new info that can come up.

Exam experience: did not sleep well which is typical for me but unexpected here as i wasn’t particularly nervous. Exam day is quite long. Its very easy to lose focus so being well rested helps a lot id imagine, especially for those darn article Qs.
Most of the questions tested things weve all been familiarized with already and either went the easy route to the answer or a difficult route like a 2nd line treatment. Some questions really test your clinical reasoning (ie the scenario is something maybe weve never seen but we are all familiar with the choices as they are basic - cbc etc). Id say i answered around 40% with ease, another 30% or so with some lack of confidence, 20-25% very difficult (narrow down to 2-3 and pick one), and 5-10% random stuff ive never heard of that i just had to work through. My ethics Qs still haunt me til today.
I had about 5-10 minutes at the end of each section to review, which i felt would have been best used by going back to specific Qs i couldve reasoned through and tackling them head on. This is something i always do on tests but i couldnt really get it going on this one, not sure why. Maybe it was the stress, maybe just the overall uncertainty of so many questions. I ended up kinda just flipping through my marked Qs and ensuring i had decent reasoning for the answer i put without considering others much.
I left the test feeling defeated and i knew i made a bunch of mistakes i would instantly regret making by googling, but i did it anyway. Ive counted about 10 that i definitely got wrong and 5 more that i likely got wrong. These are just the ones that i can remember that werent strange electrolyte Qs or whatever. I did recall about 10-15 that i was unsure of that i ended up getting right, however, so thats a plus.
I left step 1 with the same feeling and ended up scoring at my practice exam average so im hoping ill have a similar experience here, but this test felt different for some reason. I do think step 2 is a harder exam but i wont go into that as hindsight bias can really impact my take on things.

I felt that my study methods were probably sufficient and idk if i wouldve changed much. Perhaps i wouldve used uptodate more, especially the summary sections. I also wouldve reviewed my uworld notes. As others have said, clerkship year is very important for building a great foundation if you want to crush step 2. Dedicated for step 2 is a different beast and, i think, unlike in step 1, its very hard to make up for poor studying throughout. I think this is exemplified by the reddit data showing study duration has little impact on score for step 2. I personally found it hard to study during the year and didnt do this well.

Good luck everyone! Ill update when my score is out.

Update: scored in between my uworlds and nbme exam once again. Trust your practice scores people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
No clue!
When did you take your exam? I took mine feb 4th so im assuming mine will come out next week.
My permit is gone but i think last time it was gone like a week after i came out of exam.
I just really hope I passed

No clue!
When did you take your exam? I took mine feb 4th so im assuming mine will come out next week.
My permit is gone but i think last time it was gone like a week after i came out of exam.
I just really hope I passed
I took mine on Jan 28th, my permit disappeared yesterday morning

Like the actual link disappeared right? There is nothing to click on to later have error message come up?
Yeah there's nothing there for a CK permit but there's a link for eligibility extension which is weird. My eligiblity ends Feb 28th.... There's a link for an extension still

Yeah there's nothing there for a CK permit but there's a link for eligibility extension which is weird. My eligiblity ends Feb 28th.... There's a link for an extension still

My friend got her score back (eastern time around 10/11). Im praying for you hope it comes out the way you hoped

Non-US IMG. Took my exam on Jan 30th . The real deal definitely felt harder and very tricky compared to any of the assessments. Wasn't short on time however, had nearly 5 mins on most blocks.
Real deal- 256
Nbme 8- 254 (2 weeks prior)
Uwsa 1- 266 (10 days prior)
Uwsa 2- 263 (7 days prior)
I did spend a lot of time obsessing over these correlations. For me , it was nbme 8 which was close to my main score. Prepped using Uworld. Step 3 Uworld was also useful for certain questions IMO. Good luck guys.

My permit disappeared around Monday and was able to register on FSMB for step 3, chances are your already got your score or it's on the way!

I passed. Didn't get the score I wanted....got the exact same score as step 1. IDK what that's gonna do to my chances of residency....

Thank you, Im thankful I passed but I dropped significantly from my UWSA. I was 245 and 255 and scored 230 on CK. Test day was so draining and I panicked and changed so many answers . I'm not a good test taker at all...like I said, I'm thankful I passed but I was hoping for 240+ at least. I got the exact same score as step 1, hopefully it doesn't hurt me for residency

Thank you, Im thankful I passed but I dropped significantly from my UWSA. I was 245 and 255 and scored 230 on CK. Test day was so draining and I panicked and changed so many answers . I'm not a good test taker at all...like I said, I'm thankful I passed but I was hoping for 240+ at least. I got the exact same score as step 1, hopefully it doesn't hurt me for residency
Anything you wish you would’ve known 2 days before? Lol

Congrats. Could you tell us your prep strategy?
Honestly, I barely studied. I didn't do OME, I didn't read any books, I didn't even finish uworld....I had to take the test when I did because of my school, otherwise I would have taken more time to get through all that and probably not changed so many answers. I just used my knowledge from clinicals to reason through questions.... Sorry I'm not much help :(

hey guys :
just wanted to say that i took the exam 2 days ago . and damn it felt really hard and had mixed feelings
lots of Psych and ethics , and one of the 3 "Question "grouped bioStat felt like it needed an entire 10 min of time to fully grasp.

any way..
here is my exp.:
my experience was like :
Uworld 75% one read
NBME 6 225 , my first one back in December . was only after 300 of Uworld and felt terrible
NBME 7 : 260 late january
NBME 8 : 255 7th feb
and
UWAS :255 / 260
65% felt like Uworld Questions .
each block had like really 10 hard Questions that i usually had to face at the second half.

over all it felt like an epic battle , I barely could finish each block at its allotted time, could not get back to check on any tagged Question

any way i really have mixed feeling "actually petrified to be honest , and i hate it that i am using google now to search some of the puzzling questions i can hardly remember and felt like i made some really stupid terrible mistakes.

----------------------------------------------
when is the earliest , it`s expected to get the results of CK exam , cause i checked today and found my permit link is gone. only 2 days after i took it.
should i just ignore it and focus on My CS till mid march..i hate the waiting

Last edited:
US IMG, took on 1/27 got score back in Wed.

NBME 6 252 6 weeks prior
UWorld 1 254 6 weeks prior
NBME 7 243 5 weeks prior
NBME 8 254 4 weeks prior
NBME Online 89% 3 weeks prior
UWorld 2 252 3 week prior

Real Deal 259.

Average in the exam was 244 and SD 17

hope this helps someone. Let me know if anyone wants to know how I study. I studied for 2 months dedicated.

I found that doing Step is 70% knowledge and 30% technique. I aced the technique pretty well I feel.

I definitely feel I got at least 20 wrong. I feel better than my step 1 but was still nervous.

Last edited: