USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
NBME 17: 221 (2 months out before dedicated)
CBSE: 248 (6.5 weeks out- beginning of dedicated)
NBME 20: 232 (6 weeks out)
NBME 23: 252 (5 weeks out)
NBME 18: 259 (4 weeks out)
NBME 24: 252 (3 weeks out)
UWSA1: 269 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2: 264 (5 days out)
Free 120: 89% (5 days out)
Predicted score using spread sheet: 258
STEP 1: 260

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
It’s crazy how the average here is like 245 and reddit is like 220 haha interesting to see how different the demographics are.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow you guys all crushed it! Congrats to all of you!! I'm definitely not in the same boat, got within the 215-220 range. Score predictor had me at 230 but my score was pretty darn close to UWSA2. Definitely under performed according to the predictor. Kinda bummed, but have been set on IM and I think I'll be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
230’s NBME 16,17,18
230 UWS1
237 UWS2

233 REAL DEAL!!! I’m a mere mortal and stoked on this score

Also had 2 weeks of dedicated thanks to army training / school schedule

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
alright fellas,
Score prediction 251
Actual score 250-255

all in all it was ok,was really hoping to cross that 260 threshold, but it could have been worse considering i barely slept the night before.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
alright fellas,
Score prediction 251
Actual score 250-255

all in all it was ok,was really hoping to cross that 260 threshold, but it could have been worse considering i barely slept the night before.

WE CAN BE ANYTHING WE WANT, MY DUDE

ANYTHING

Edit: ANYTHING

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Congrats everyone!! Glad to see so many awesome scores from all you hardworking people. I’ll report back next week when I (hopefully) get my score. I also got to hear scores from a couple friends at my school and they both also crushed it (both their scores were just a couple points above their UW2 and both above their predicted scores slightly) so all in all I’m very pumped for everyone!!!

Reactions: 3 users
alright fellas,
Score prediction 251
Actual score 250-255

My first reaction was a little disappointment I didn't hit 250 honestly, so I can relate. I reminded myself that I am very competitive for what I want to do and that my goal when I started med school was to get a 240 and I exceeded that so why should I complain when I have hit every entering goal I set for myself. The more I think about my score the more thrilled I am with it. Someday when we're all in the field and career we've always wanted we'll probably laugh about how disappointed we were we didn't score a few points higher on Step 1. Go celebrate that great score man, all of us should honestly, all that hard work paid off in a big way today for all of us.

CBSE 1 (mid January in my school): 245
CBSE 2 (March or so in my school): 246
NBME 20 (6 weeks out): 252
NBME 21 (5 weeks out): 246
NBME 22 (4 weeks out): 248
NBME 23 (3 weeks out): 257
UWSA 1 (2 weeks out): 269
Free 120 (1 week out): 88%
UWSA 2 (5 days out): 271 (score first came up as 230, which devastated me 5 days out. Hit recalculate to get the final score ;) )
UWorld %: 89% (first pass)

Real deal: 263.

Might be nice to look at the correlation with the new NBMEs

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Started dedicated with a 205 CBSE and a 481 on COMSAE 105. Took UWSA1 5 weeks in and got a 247. Took UWSA2 4 days out and got a 251. Finished one pass of uWorld timed/random with a 75% average.

Final score: 254

Felt awful and feeling like I underperformed coming out of the exam. Opened the score report email during morning report this morning as my resident was getting berated by some attending's, and the resident saw my smile and thought I was laughing at him lol. Definitely felt like I had something to prove with this exam after taking 3 attempts to finally get into a random DO school. Never though I'd be able to earn over a 250. Now to wait for COMLEX.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
My first reaction was a little disappointment I didn't hit 250 honestly, so I can relate. I reminded myself that I am very competitive for what I want to do and that my goal when I started med school was to get a 240 and I exceeded that so why should I complain when I have hit every entering goal I set for myself. The more I think about my score the more thrilled I am with it. Someday when we're all in the field and career we've always wanted we'll probably laugh about how disappointed we were we didn't score a few points higher on Step 1. Go celebrate that great score man, all of us should honestly, all that hard work paid off in a big way today for all of us.
Exactly this. Been through so many of these goal post shifts in my life that it’s honestly comical how we trick ourselves over and over. 3 years ago I just wanted a good GPA and MCat, then I just wanted to get into *any* med school. Then I wanted to get into a top school. Then I wanted a 230, then 240 then 250.

the treadmill is exhausting and stupid. We need to realize how damn far we’ve come. The fact that I am moderately useful on rotations and not that far behind the interns on my team is remarkable and I get to help care for patients every day is enough to realize I don’t have any regrets

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if I'm an anomaly or what but the highest I got on NBME's was 217 on exam 18. Taking those exams just made me very nervous esp with the random anatomy that I wasn't good at.
Then I took UW2 and got 234. 77% on free 120. Did 2 passes of U world and the best preparation for the exam in retrospect was going through my incorrect again and again. Couldn't get into Anki. Seeing all the high practice scores on this thread and having a fair exam on test day was making me nervous but I got a 233.
I know it's not the most amazing thing especially because the average was 230 but to me it's a dream come true. I thought I barely broke through 210.
Thank God this stress is finally done and we can all move on (hopefully). I'm excited for the next phase. I start with OBGYN

Reactions: 14 users
Idk if I'm an anomaly or what but the highest I got on NBME's was 217 on exam 18. Taking those exams just made me very nervous esp with the random anatomy that I wasn't good at.
Then I took UW2 and got 234. 77% on free 120. Did 2 passes of U world and the best preparation for the exam in retrospect was going through my incorrect again and again. Couldn't get into Anki. Seeing all the high practice scores on this thread and having a fair exam on test day was making me nervous but I got a 233.
I know it's not the most amazing thing especially because the average was 230 but to me it's a dream come true. I thought I barely broke through 210.
Thank God this stress is finally done and we can all move on (hopefully). I'm excited for the next phase. I start with OBGYN
The best way to get over STEP1 is seeing a baby being born. =)

Reactions: 5 users
Definitely under performed according to the predictor. Kinda bummed, but have been set on IM and I think I'll be okay.

Same here. The thing that stinks is I noticed a lot of IM programs screen at 220 so thats disheartening. Guess we gotta just rock Step 2 and it will work out.

Reactions: 1 user
256! I just want to specially shout out @Lannister and @USMLE_Pro for your methods. I used a combined method where I did Rx and read every word similar to Lannister and then in dedicated made anki cards off of my Uworld misses. I reviewed them for awhile and then quit about 25% through Uworld but I kept making them. I think the process of communicating your thought process is really helpful. Really appreciate this thread. I tried for more than a year to become a Zanki person and I failed. Lack of willpower. It worked out but it may not be for everyone.

Congratulations! Glad that the Anki flashcard creation worked for you :)

All right all right if we're all making plans and goals this early I'll join the game.

Not sure what I want to do yet, maybe derm, rads, ophtho, maybe IM, PM&R, non-op sports med. Who really knows?

So goal score 250+ (255 would be sweet) to keep my options open. Will be taking this beast in June 2019.

Hoping I can keep up with all you guys!
Finished the free 120 earlier today after taking UWSA2 and have practically completed all my prep for this beast. At this point, I know there is still a lot that I do not know, and a lot left on my list that I did not accomplish, but I can still be happy with how far I've come.

Med School Study Timeline with Scores:

Discovered Anki and made some cards for class first semester.
Started Zanki second semester first year in January, finished it in February this year.

After finishing Zanki, in March I took my first NBME, form 16, and got a 238.
I then did the Rx Qbank in March 80/day and finished with just over 80% correct.
In April I tried to get through Kaplan but local curriculum only allowed me to get through 1/3 of it, at 86% correct.

CBSE just before dedicated 250. 6 weeks of dedicated.
Took the first week to do general content review.

The following week, took NBME 21 for a 246. Started UWorld at that point.
After my first week of UWorld I took UWSA1 and got a 269.
Next week, 244 on 17 and 246 on 22.
Next week, 255 on 23 and 248 on 24.
255 on 18, and 252 on 20.

Today, 262 on UWSA2 and 94% on free 120.

Currently sitting at 88% on UWorld, with a few more blocks to finish up these next few days.

I haven't sat for the test yet, but currently my only regrets are that I didn't fully keep up on my Zanki reviews and that I didn't finish Kaplan, namely because I cared too much about my local curriculum during the first two years. If I could take it back, I would have ignored my local more than I did, and study out of the boards resources more.

Wishing the best for everyone on this thread and for the future readers of this thread. SDN and Reddit have been huge contributors to my medical school education, and I certainly would not be doing nearly as well without the posters from prior years. Hopefully this helps, and if anyone has questions feel free to post here or PM me. Will post back once I get my final score
Took the real deal today, felt exactly like the free 120. Honestly concerned about the curve, but happy to be on the other side! Good luck to everyone still studying!

And after all that, I got a 256.

This was higher than my original goal, but lower than what I expected going in, and higher than I expected after taking the test and thinking about the curve.

Best of luck to everyone still studying, and looking forward to seeing everyone over on the step 2 thread this next year!

Reactions: 10 users
236. My original goal was 240, but that quickly changed to 230+ when I started taking nbmes lol. My highest score on the nbmes was 228 and my UWSA2 was 234. So I’m feeling pretty happy with my score! Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
And after all that, I got a 256.

This was higher than my original goal, but lower than what I expected going in, and higher than I expected after taking the test and thinking about the curve.

Best of luck to everyone still studying, and looking forward to seeing everyone over on the step 2 thread this next year!

Lol, you and me both brother. I was expecting to see a 220ish when I opened my report

I do still think Zanki is a good foundation and I don't think my approach was "wrong".... just maybe could have been more optimized. During M2 pre-dedicated I spent 95% of my study time on zanki, and 5% on QBank. I think it would have been better to strike a 70/30 split, and prioritize finishing either Rx or Kaplan prior to dedicated rather than prioritizing getting through all of Zanki.

The grass is always greener though, I guess - using QBanks as a primary information source would be more time consuming than blasting through zanki cards. Maybe in practice it wouldn't work as well as it seems in my head.

Yeah, 95% Zanki might be a bit too much. For me personally at least, it felt like there were some facts that just wouldn't stick no matter how many times I saw them - then I got one Qbank question wrong about them and suddenly I never forgot it.

Awesome job though my dude, significantly above average for literally any specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be interested to hear the results of other heavy step 1 prep materials > class people here, but I'm a few weeks into third year now and I wanted to give my thoughts on the clinical impact of my studying style for the preclinical years.

I know everybody feels like they know nothing originally in third year, and I did too. A few weeks in, though, I can say that my step 1 preparation and the abilities I honed throughout it have definitely served me in good stead. I almost never get straight recall questions wrong, and I've made anki cards for treatment guidelines that my attending love to pimp on. Furthermore, the skill of breaking down really large tasks into small manageable chunks of information has been super helpful. Also basically all additional structured learning in 3rd year has to be self-motivated and self taught, and two years of experience with that style is really helpful as well.

Reactions: 6 users
I think you will be 100% just fine. Pls read my sig

Question about the charting outcomes. For IM on the osteopathic one.. On page 92, there is data for the level 1 and level 2 exams, page 93 is the probability matching graph from the previous page data. My question is about page 94. It looks like these are step scores but why do they label them as level 1 and level 2? I'm interpreting these two graphs as "DO students who applied IM and took step 1 and step 2".

Question about the charting outcomes. For IM on the osteopathic one.. On page 92, there is data for the level 1 and level 2 exams, page 93 is the probability matching graph from the previous page data. My question is about page 94. It looks like these are step scores but why do they label them as level 1 and level 2? I'm interpreting these two graphs as "DO students who applied IM and took step 1 and step 2".

View attachment 271416
Probably just a typo

I took my UWSA 1 almost a month before and had 258. Took NBME 21 a week or two earlier with 242 and Just finished Uworld first pass today with an 86.1%. And have almost three-four weeks left for my exam. The thing is I am almost done reading and feel like waiting more could prove detrimental. I am presently working on reviewing my weak areas( general path, biostats) and reviewing uworld again along with first aid q and a. So just wanted to ask this:

1. I keep scoring in the lower 80%'s for my first aid q and a. Is that good? Or bad? Can anybody who used first aid q and a provide input on this?

2. Is waiting for three-four weeks detrimental in this state?

Also, I am aiming for 250-255+. Is this possible with the above?

Thanks
Glo

I took my UWSA 1 almost a month before and had 258. Took NBME 21 a week or two earlier with 242 and Just finished Uworld first pass today with an 86.1%. And have almost three-four weeks left for my exam. The thing is I am almost done reading and feel like waiting more could prove detrimental. I am presently working on reviewing my weak areas( general path, biostats) and reviewing uworld again along with first aid q and a. So just wanted to ask this:

1. I keep scoring in the lower 80%'s for my first aid q and a. Is that good? Or bad? Can anybody who used first aid q and a provide input on this?

2. Is waiting for three-four weeks detrimental in this state?

Also, I am aiming for 250-255+. Is this possible with the above?

Thanks
Glo

I bet if you took either UW2 or NBME18 and you were in the 250s I would strongly suggest moving it up. The burn out is real.

Is a 246 competitive for ortho, urology, or general surgery as a DO student? I was initially (and still am) interested in less competitive specialties but just curious about other options as well. Thanks in advance

Is a 246 competitive for ortho, urology, or general surgery as a DO student? I was initially (and still am) interested in less competitive specialties but just curious about other options as well. Thanks in advance
IMO yes for ortho and uro if you have the research to back it up. Prev AOA programs will still be your best shot, and based on my limited experience talking with prev AOA programs peeps comlex will be the major factor as well as auditions for those programs.

Yes for GS

Edit: i do want to clarify that your score is competitive for those specialties as a DO, as far as being competitive as a DO in those specialties goes. The majority of programs will still be shut out to us no matter how high you score, but for the programs that will give you a look as a DO your score def hits threshold. Comes down to research and who you know now if you wanna crack at non prev aoa places

So, as I honestly did not expect my result, I am realizing that I can consider more specialities than I originally thought. It's surreal.

• Wow
  • Love

I'm also going to say yes for ortho although you need the research to back it up, the score alone doesn't do squat, uro probably but with the same qualifier, and absolutely yes for GS. The honest truth is that for ortho and uro your COMLEX is what will really matter as your chances of going to a traditionally MD program instead of a former AOA one is extremely low.

Although with the merger who knows. Now you can do 6 auditions at former AOA programs, apply broadly to MD ones and even if you only get 1-3 interviews that is still a chance and you can rank how you want and never know how the match will work out.
did you suddenly develop an interest in skin pathology ?

An undying love that has long festered but has only reared it's head to full heights in the presence of dat 270

• Haha
I'm also going to say yes for ortho although you need the research to back it up, the score alone doesn't do squat, uro probably but with the same qualifier, and absolutely yes for GS. The honest truth is that for ortho and uro your COMLEX is what will really matter as your chances of going to a traditionally MD program instead of a former AOA one is extremely low.

Although with the merger who knows. Now you can do 6 auditions at former AOA programs, apply broadly to MD ones and even if you only get 1-3 interviews that is still a chance and you can rank how you want and never know how the match will work out.

An undying love that has long festered but has only reared it's head to full heights in the presence of dat 270
honestly, i still feel a little intimidated applying to competitive specialties with a mere 250+. I know that sounds crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
honestly, i still feel a little intimidated applying to competitive specialties with a mere 250+. I know that sounds crazy.

I honestly think applying to anything competitive is just intimidating no matter what. The idea of not matching terrifies me.

A lot of it probably stems from the horror stories of people doing most everything right and not matching, when the reality is that most people match just fine if they play their cards right.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey, did anyone take USMLE during rotations? Was it manageable? Thinking about switching my test date to the weekend after my first week of rotations...

I took my exam on 6/22 and didn’t get my score. My friend took it day before me and got his back. I think the cutoff was 6/21

So can we assume the score release on July 17th will be for those that took the test from June 22nd to June 28th?

In the spirit of tradition and neuroticism I made the 2020 CK thread.

Probably a good place to talk about rotations and shelves as well.

• Love
In the spirit of tradition and neuroticism I made the 2020 CK thread.

Probably a good place to talk about rotations and shelves as well.

Not even gonna take Step 2 CK but you guys are my SDN cohort so I moved there with you :)

• Haha