This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what per diem and temporary mean for the experiences section?
I think per diem is everyday and temporary could mean that you did it for a season. o_O??

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to a school that says that they need 6 credits of general biology with lab and that they must be in sequence. My general biology sequence has only one course with lab (3.5) credits and the other 2 courses do not. Because they need one other course with lab AND a biology sequence, should I match the three courses part of the general biology sequence AND upper level biology courses with lab to meet the lab requirement (such as anatomy, etc.)? Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
This is probably a really dumb question. Once I have submitted AADSAS do schools email me more info on their supplemental/secondary applications? I am trying to find them online and am having trouble with some.

Or do I just follow the links and pay/submit online in that section of aadsas?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably a really dumb question. Once I have submitted AADSAS do schools email me more info on their supplemental/secondary applications? I am trying to find them online and am having trouble with some.

Or do I just follow the links and pay/submit online in that section of aadsas?

You are already being very proactive by trying to find them online! Not all of them will have them online. Some schools will email you a special link for it. Many others require logins for their supplemental and that is why you would have to wait for an email. So if you can't find them online, you probably have to wait.

Also make sure to check their info page on your AADSAS application. Some schools will have the link to their supplemental on there.

Reactions: 1 users
I forgot to put a description for one of my achievements! It's just my university honors and I used the same description for the other times I gotten it; what do you guys recommend I do?

I forgot to put a description for one of my achievements! It's just my university honors and I used the same description for the other times I gotten it; what do you guys recommend I do?

If you've submitted, there's nothing you can do at this point. I wouldn't stress about it since it seems to be a repeating achievement.

Do you think I should email them explaining it? I feel so dumb I checked through my application and still made a mistake ahhh
If you've submitted, there's nothing you can do at this point. I wouldn't stress about it since it seems to be a repeating achievement.

is it enough to just say "medical leave of absence"
or it is better to discuss about why you left, and how you got better?

I am applying to a school that says that they need 6 credits of general biology with lab and that they must be in sequence. My general biology sequence has only one course with lab (3.5) credits and the other 2 courses do not. Because they need one other course with lab AND a biology sequence, should I match the three courses part of the general biology sequence AND upper level biology courses with lab to meet the lab requirement (such as anatomy, etc.)? Thanks :)
Would also like to know the answer to this question! This is what I'm doing at the moment (my general bio I did not have a lab so I am matching it with my Genetics Lab). I think it should be okay but I am not 100% sure

I have a few ~20 hour volunteer experiences (done over a 4 week break) - is listing them still worth it? They're all very short term.

Also, how detailed is the "responsibilities" section of the experiences section supposed to be? 600 characters makes it seem like it's very basic (not like a flourished secondary essay) with a brief description of what we did instead of some elaborate explanation that ties into why we want to be a dentist

Last edited:
How do schools know which letter of recs correspond to which? I was going through the pdf version of my application and the occupation/professional title/organization is just a dash so I'm kinda worried atm... anyone have an issue with this? I submitted my letters through interfolio

Hey guys my application just got verified and while some schools are already reviewing my application some schools haven't received them; is there some sort of time-line I should expect/wait for schools to receive my application?

What should we put down for class name for ap credit if they're "unassigned"?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How do schools know which letter of recs correspond to which? I was going through the pdf version of my application and the occupation/professional title/organization is just a dash so I'm kinda worried atm... anyone have an issue with this? I submitted my letters through interfolio
If schools need you to clarify, they will notify you as your application will be "incomplete". This happened with me the other day. I needed two science professors LoRs and the school did not think I met that requirement. They emailed me what part of my application was incomplete and I filled out a form (which took 2 minutes tops). My application is now complete and it was figured out within the day! I also used interfolio. The people who wrote your letters most likely also specified how they know you, ie. I had _____ in my Biology 2 lecture class Spring 2017.

For the activity descriptions, how are you supposed to write them? I've been introducing what the organization is/does and included what I've done... am I missing anything else?

I submitted my application but not all my letters of evaluation are finished yet. Do they need to be submitted before schools will email me the supplemental application?

What would be considered an early application?

Anything submitted up until mid-July is probably considered early. I submitted first day and already got an interview. If you application is done and free of errors I would start submitting soon :)

If we have a grade listed on our official transcript as "DR", the "D" corresponding to the grade earned and the "R" meaning the university considers the grade replaced by a re-take, should I just input the course grade into the AADSAS as just "D" since the AADSAS doesn't recognize grade replacement? If I put "DR" into the AADSAS the CAS grade shows up as "None"

I volunteer at a free dental clinic. I do chairside assisting and sterilization. When I do sterilization I can't watch the dentist work on the patients. But, when I am done sterilizing I spend the rest of the time observing the dentist when I can't assist.

1. Would chairside assisting be considered shadowing hours?
2. Would you separate the hours you assisted or sterilized on the application?
3. Would I count the time I observe the dentist (after sterilization but can't assist) as shadow hours?

If I separate everything like this I would have 3 separate entries (dental assistant, sterilization technician, dental observer) on the application under one organization. Would that look strange to schools?

Of course, I won't double dip my hours.

I volunteer at a free dental clinic. I do chairside assisting and sterilization. When I do sterilization I can't watch the dentist work on the patients. But, when I am done sterilizing I spend the rest of the time observing the dentist when I can't assist.

1. Would chairside assisting be considered shadowing hours?
2. Would you separate the hours you assisted or sterilized on the application?
3. Would I count the time I observe the dentist (after sterilization but can't assist) as shadow hours?

If I separate everything like this I would have 3 separate entries (dental assistant, sterilization technician, dental observer) on the application under one organization. Would that look strange to schools?

Of course, I won't double dip my hours.
This is all lumped together under volunteering.

I submitted my application but not all my letters of evaluation are finished yet. Do they need to be submitted before schools will email me the supplemental application?
Yes most school need all the letters before they actually start processing your app

I know I can submit my app before I receive all my LoRs, but if I am using Interfolio, how does it update the application once my professors upload their letters? Am I able to go back to the "Evaluations" page and enter the Interfolio-generated email address after I submit?

Hey guys! Does anyone know if the FAP award has been depleted for this year? I am intending to send my documents tomorrow morning, but I am confuse on one of the documents that I have to provide, the "if there is any additional income that does not show on the tax return" part of the FAP, I don't have anything that falls under this category so do I have to provide a letter of explanation? Thanks in advance!

How long does it approx take for AADSAS to receive an electronic transcripts? & then verify?

Will schools contact you if you don't fulfill prereqs? I'm a little concerned about my biology (using molecular bio/ecology as my gen bio 1+2) and english (1 writing + 1 composition class) fulfilling all school requirements

Will schools contact you if you don't fulfill prereqs? I'm a little concerned about my biology (using molecular bio/ecology as my gen bio 1+2) and english (1 writing + 1 composition class) fulfilling all school requirements
Many schools won't mind as long as they are completed before matriculation is to occur.

I graduated though so I don't want to have to
Oh, I see... not sure about all schools, but I know some won't let you know until after they award acceptance. For example, I only took Intro Biology (1 semester) because that's all I could get at my uni. Nova Southeastern sent me a letter with my acceptance package stating that I didn't fulfill their prerequisite requirement for Biology. I was graduating in a couple weeks, and I was not about to take an extra biology course. Especially when I received another acceptance and they considered my classes sufficient as is. :shrug: Your best bet might be reaching out to your selected school officials to see if the classes you already have will suffice.

I have a few ~20 hour volunteer experiences (done over a 4 week break) - is listing them still worth it? They're all very short term.

Also, how detailed is the "responsibilities" section of the experiences section supposed to be? 600 characters makes it seem like it's very basic (not like a flourished secondary essay) with a brief description of what we did instead of some elaborate explanation that ties into why we want to be a dentist
You can simply list them here.

If we have a grade listed on our official transcript as "DR", the "D" corresponding to the grade earned and the "R" meaning the university considers the grade replaced by a re-take, should I just input the course grade into the AADSAS as just "D" since the AADSAS doesn't recognize grade replacement? If I put "DR" into the AADSAS the CAS grade shows up as "None"
I would just put D and list it as a class was that repeated.

It depends on the school; each one does it a little differently. For your schools, I would check their website first. See if it is something that they have open and available for applicants to complete. Some schools will consider you without LoR. Other schools require a full, complete application before consideration.

is it enough to just say "medical leave of absence"
or it is better to discuss about why you left, and how you got better?
It depends what you are comfortable discussing. I think the latter would be better, but only if I could discuss it without emotion.

Hi, I am about to enter my senior year of college am filling out my Dental application right now. But when filling out my coursework, im confused on what to put for my classes occurring this Spring? I obviously have not planned out what classes I am taking in the spring, other than Biochem (which i put down) but what about the rest? I already listed my fall classes. I am just unsure about spring.

You should just plan out your coursework for the spring. Do your best to determine which classes you are going to take to fulfill your degree requirements and pre reqs for dental school (if any are left). Most schools will not have a problem with you taking courses that differ from what you stated previously so long as you still take all of the required coursework for your degree and admission to d school.

For the experience section, would you put more about your task and what you did or more about what you've learned from it? There's not many words, so I'm wondering how to best divide the spaces.

Last edited:
If I listed a course as planned at one school, but I want to take it at another school instead, is it possible to delete that course if I already submitted my application? Or do I have to take the course at the school I listed when I submitted?

If I listed a course as planned at one school, but I want to take it at another school instead, is it possible to delete that course if I already submitted my application? Or do I have to take the course at the school I listed when I submitted?
planned means planned
it's not a promise

For the experience section, would you put more about your task and what you did or more about what you've learned from it? There's not many words, so I'm wondering how to best divide the spaces.
I would talk about what you did. They want to see what you did, and then they can formulate on their own what they think you learned from that experience.

Recently added a couple of new shadowing experiences to AADSAS (after submission). Will those updates be automatically sent to the schools via AADSAS, or do I need to email each school individually?

What you did, and you could still definitely add a sentence about the things you learned/skills you gained and/or acquired.
I don't think you'll be able to do anything about that until the Academic Update period opens (August 15th). You should be able to delete the course from school 1, and add that course & school 2 onto your application during this period.
Recently added a couple of new shadowing experiences to AADSAS (after submission). Will those updates be automatically sent to the schools via AADSAS, or do I need to email each school individually?
I believe schools get a notification that an update was added to your application, but I'm not sure if they are told what exactly was updated. You can email and tell the schools too, no harm done.

Reactions: 1 users
I was under the impression that transcripts had to be mailed to aadsas but my registrar's office is telling me they accept electronic copies. Does anyone know for sure?

I was under the impression that transcripts had to be mailed to aadsas but my registrar's office is telling me they accept electronic copies. Does anyone know for sure?
They only accept electronic transcripts if your school uses Credentials, Parchment, or National Student Clearinghouse. If none of those, you have to mail it in!

When assigning pre-reqs, some schools list a minimum requirement of 6-8 semester units and will say recommended courses include genetics, ecology, anatomy & physio, etc. Do we assign only general bio requirements? Or add on the higher level bio/science?

Transcripts are reviewed entirely even though some courses aren't assigned to the pre-req right?

When assigning pre-reqs, some schools list a minimum requirement of 6-8 semester units and will say recommended courses include genetics, ecology, anatomy & physio, etc. Do we assign only general bio requirements? Or add on the higher level bio/science?

Transcripts are reviewed entirely even though some courses aren't assigned to the pre-req right?
I'd contact the schools directly to see their preference.

For example, UNC only said to mark those that fulfill the pre-reqs whereas UConn said to mark all courses that fit the category, not just the pre-reqs.

I just finished up my first week at my new job as a dental assistant. Is now a good time to put an extracurricular update in and mark the job as continuous (even though I only have 40 hours thus far)?

Is the academic update already available? On the main page it asks if I want to update anything.