COMLEX Official 2018 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

• Thread starter ThrowAwayStepDO
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

ThrowAwayStepDO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Literally scored over an 800. Like significantly over. I had no idea the scores went that high. I’m in shock 100% right now. All I could do when I saw the score was laugh because I felt trashed after that exam

Isn't 800 the highest?...at least that's what I thought lol.

Congrats! Was this close to your comsaes (if you took any), and how were your combank/comquest averages if you don't mind sharing? No pressure to share of course!

I actually only took one COMSAE and that was form B. I took it a week and a half before COMLEX and scored a 617...so almost spot on.

My comquest average was an 88% at the end of my first and only pass. Uworld was about 79% and COMBANK really didn't matter because the school made me start before I was ready to get serious so it was artificially low. Not that I would recommend even using COMBANK at all though.

The point is, even if you feel terrible like I did as you leave the test, keep your chin up because you very well may have aced it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember leaving just being glad to get it over with, so I'm quite happy with my score.

comsae c - 549
combank assessment - 627-631
COMLEX - 609 (6/14)

nbme 13 - 186
uworld sa 1 - 228
nbme 15 - 207
nbme 16 - 234
nbme 17 - 219
nbme 18 - 223
uworld sa 2 - 232
nbme 19 - 219
STEP 1 - 241 (6/22)

Last two I took were C (550) and the combank assessment (600). So I guess I was in the standard deviation range of those tests
This is what worries me, people get almost 100 points less on comlex compared to comsae/combank assessment.
As I'm trying hard to get above 475 Comsae (our school requirement) - and now I know that it may not be enough on real exam - like I may score 100 points less and get 375 or something. :(

Step 1: 250
Level 1: 671

Did not use any COMSAEs. Finished about ~70% of COMBANK. Did not do OMGOMT or COMQUEST.

I prepared for Step 1, and then read through the green book before my Level 1. Don’t spend more money than you need on multiple things. In the end behavioral science is what brought me down in both Step and Level 1, so I don’t know how I could have prepared more.

Keep your heads up and push through.

Edit: I’ll explain how I studied if anyone is interested. It’s not COMLEX heavy though. My school, in my opinion, prepared us very well for OMM and I did not believe I needed much OMM review.

Last edited:
I actually only took one COMSAE and that was form B. I took it a week and a half before COMLEX and scored a 617...so almost spot on.

My comquest average was an 88% at the end of my first and only pass. Uworld was about 79% and COMBANK really didn't matter because the school made me start before I was ready to get serious so it was artificially low. Not that I would recommend even using COMBANK at all though.

The point is, even if you feel terrible like I did as you leave the test, keep your chin up because you very well may have aced it.

What terrific averages! Mine is nowhere as close but hopefully it will be enough :)

Thank you for sharing!

Question for people to ponder: since last year a 555 was the 50th percentile (per the NBOME score converter for May 2017-April 2018) & this year that vague statement in the score report made it seem that the average is 520; does that mean the new score conversion/standard setting that was happening ended up being around a 35ish point slide? I hope the question I'm asking makes sense to some people.

Question for people to ponder: since last year a 555 was the 50th percentile (per the NBOME score converter for May 2017-April 2018) & this year that vague statement in the score report made it seem that the average is 520; does that mean the new score conversion/standard setting that was happening ended up being around a 35ish point slide? I hope the question I'm asking makes sense to some people.
From what I can understand, yes. It says that passing is still a 400, so it makes it seem as if they just constructed a 520 average.

Reactions: 4 users
Always liked looking at correlations and how other students did. So here is mine:

Comsae D : 664
Comlex Level 1: 652

USMLE NBME and UWSA all together average (took all of them) - 244
USMLE step 1 - 243

The "correlation gurus" can tell you what that means in terms of how those about to take it will do.

For those starting M2 or even M1 I do not have any magic board advice, But my advice for the students starting M2 is to work your butt off during systems before you start studying for Step. By that I mean read, read, read, and read some more to fully understand and grasp a topic and not just memorizing. For example, understanding why in RTA 4 the K serum levels are high rather than just memorizing that they are. This way when you sit to study for boards you will just be reviewing RTA and not trying to memorize and relearn it a month before boards. I fully believe getting 240/600 is having the pure basic fundamental understanding of material. But that's just my opinion. Y'all can look at my post history to see I was not a strong student before med school but nothing like some good old fashioned hard work to push you above and beyond. Not that my scores are above and beyond (I see you 700/250'ers scoffing) but working hard during systems to understand material will set you up during board studying to review the material you already mastered which then sets up you for success on boards.

...Oh and also Zanki.

Good luck!
i concur

Members don't see this ad :)
Used UFAP + Sketchy. Did Kaplan and USMLE Rx for questions. Green book is all I used for OMM.

Kaplan Average - 75%
USMLE Rx - 82%
UWorld 1st pass - 82%

4 weeks out UWSA 1 - 262
2 weeks out NBME 17 - 250
1.5 weeks out NBME 18 - 242
1 week out UWSA 2 - 260
2 days out NBME 19 - 254

Step 1 - 248
COMLEX - 676

uworld 1st pass: 66%
UWSA 1: 232
COMSAE C: 543 before dedicated
COMSAE E: 651 two weeks out
COMSAE B: 651 one week out

COMLEX: 576

Pretty drastic drop from my comsaes

uworld 1st pass: 66%
UWSA 1: 232
COMSAE C: 543 before dedicated
COMSAE E: 651 two weeks out
COMSAE B: 651 one week out

COMLEX: 576

Pretty drastic drop from my comsaes

Still a great score, congrats! Do you think it was the nerves during the exam that might have accounted for it, or was it the material (ie more low yield stuff on the exam, omm was totally different etc)?

COMLEX Level 1 (taken 5/22) - 627
USMLE Step 1 (taken 5/17) - 229

I used UWorld, Combank, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy, and Boards & Beyond to study. I REALLY dropped the ball by not taking a single practice exam (no NBMEs/COMSAEs) except for one practice NBME our school made everyone take...definitely would not recommend doing what I did. Also my school doesn't give us any dedicated time so I started my studying in January. It's been a marathon of a semester.

Reactions: 1 user
COMLEX Level 1 (taken 5/22) - 627
USMLE Step 1 (taken 5/17) - 229

I used UWorld, Combank, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy, and Boards & Beyond to study. I REALLY dropped the ball by not taking a single practice exam (no NBMEs/COMSAEs) except for one practice NBME our school made everyone take...definitely would not recommend doing what I did. Also my school doesn't give us any dedicated time so I started my studying in January. It's been a marathon of a semester.

Congrats on two really great scores! How did you think the test was compared to Combank, if you don't mind me asking (since you didn't take any comsaes). Thanks in advance!

Congrats on two really great scores! How did you think the test was compared to Combank, if you don't mind me asking (since you didn't take any comsaes). Thanks in advance!

The vignettes were significantly longer compared to Combank, but I had some questions that were basically Combank questions worded a little differently. I'm typically a fast test taker and have never worried about timing on an exam, but I struggled with that on the COMLEX. If I could go back, I'd probably take a few COMSAEs just to prepare myself for the length of the questions on there.

The vignettes were significantly longer compared to Combank, but I had some questions that were basically Combank questions worded a little differently. I'm typically a fast test taker and have never worried about timing on an exam, but I struggled with that on the COMLEX. If I could go back, I'd probably take a few COMSAEs just to prepare myself for the length of the questions on there.

Thanks for the info! In terms of content though, you felt like combank was decently representative (minus the wtf questions that everyone gets and nobody can prepare for)?

Thanks for the info! In terms of content though, you felt like combank was decently representative (minus the wtf questions that everyone gets and nobody can prepare for)?

I only did about 40% of the Combank questions and tried to mainly use their OPP questions (mainly did UWorld for everything else) so I don't know how representative Combank is as far as a blueprint of the real test. I remember my COMLEX being a bit more microbio and path heavy, but honestly I took it 2 months ago and don't remember too much about it anymore...actively suppressing those memories lol

I only did about 40% of the Combank questions and tried to mainly use their OPP questions (mainly did UWorld for everything else) so I don't know how representative Combank is as far as a blueprint of the real test. I remember my COMLEX being a bit more microbio and path heavy, but honestly I took it 2 months ago and don't remember too much about it anymore...actively suppressing those memories lol

Haha fair enough! I'm always scared when I see people posting their uworld averages (because they are so high on SDN), anyway congrats on being done!

Haha fair enough! I'm always scared when I see people posting their uworld averages (because they are so high on SDN), anyway congrats on being done!

My first pass average was only 68% on UWorld and I did pretty well on both exams

For those waiting,

UWorld first pass timed/random: 66%
Averaged 639 on Comsaes B, C and E over three weeks, all in the 600-700 range.

Comlex Level 1: 650+

Left the exam feeling like I probably passed but had no idea how I did. I thought it was very difficult compared to Comsaes and barely finished. I worked insanely hard in years 1 and 2 to build a solid foundation and did well in coursework. There is no magical substitute board prep resource for this. There were many questions I answered because I remembered some odd fact from coursework and not from dedicated.

For those waiting,

UWorld first pass timed/random: 66%
Averaged 639 on Comsaes B, C and E over three weeks, all in the 600-700 range.

Comlex Level 1: 650+

Left the exam feeling like I probably passed but had no idea how I did. I thought it was very difficult compared to Comsaes and barely finished. I worked insanely hard in years 1 and 2 to build a solid foundation and did well in coursework. There is no magical substitute board prep resource for this. There were many questions I answered because I remembered some odd fact from coursework and not from dedicated.

Congratulations! If you did Combank/Comquest/Uworld, how did you think the difficulty of the questions on there compared to the real exam (seems like the real exam questions are much longer)?

Yeah, long question stems and people barely finishing in time worries me. I did Comsae and I finished with only 5 min to spare. Considering everyone is saying Comlex has longer questions - I'm screwed? I can improve knowledge, but I can't improve my ability to read and think faster. I'm bummed, because it feels like a reading competition instead of knowledge. Puts slower test takers in disadvantage imho :(

Figured this might help some people. My school doesn't give a dedicated board study period unless they let you sacrifice your 3rd year vacation month depending on your grades. So I just started my dedicated in the beginning of January and tried to ignore my classes as much as possible. I figured it's all the same material so studying for boards should allow me to maintain good grades in my classes. It worked pretty well. We had classes right up until mid-may so it was a bit frustrating at times.

USMLE (5/14) - 261
COMLEX (5/21) - 807

NBME 13 (3/21) - 244
NBME 15 (3/31) - 259
UWSA1 (4/7) - 271
NBME 16 (4/14) - 261
NBME 19 (4/21) - 257 - heard this one had a harsh curve and makes people freak out if taken soon before the board so I took it out of order
NBME 17 (4/28) - 252
COMSAE D (5/1) - 787 - school made us take this
UWSA2 (5/5) - 264
NBME 18 (5/11) - 252

Resources:
UWorld - did it once through, then did marked+wrong (like 700), then did 2000 more. Started with 40 per day then after first run through did 80 per day. First run through ended at like 75%, second one 91%.
Boards and Beyond - Best resource out there. Watched about 3-4 hours of videos per day. Took me about 12 weeks to finish it all. Followed along in FA and wrote down everything Dr. Ryan said that wasn't in FA. I wrote this into FA so my FA was marked up like crazy. This helped more than anything. Almost every question on my USMLE was mentioned in B&B. Same with the non-OMM COMLEX questions. Writing it down helped understand it, especially cardiac physiology and neuro stuff. Dr. Ryan teaches you to understand stuff instead of memorize, made everything way easier to learn and answer correctly. If you are on the fence about this watch the samples on youtube.
Pathoma - Watched them along with B&B based on the B&B topic I was on. Finished at the same this as I finished B&B. Also great as everyone knows. First 4 sections aren't really found anywhere else so those were awesome. Didn't read the book. Also wrote down into FA everything Dr. Sattar said that wasn't in FA. I thought B&B covered almost everything that was in Pathoma but there were things that only Dr. Sattar mentioned so very useful overall.
Sketchy - Watched through micro and pharm, but didn't really get much out of it. Kind of overwhelmed by all the different drawings used for memory tools. Lots of my classmates really liked sketchy so if it works for you it's great.
FA - Used this mostly when watching videos. I read through the section briefly before the video (B&B gives page numbers so it's really easy to follow along) and then wrote down all the stuff in the videos into the related section in FA. A month before my USMLE I started reading my heavily marked-up FA to jog my memory. Got through it twice. I think it helped remember some stuff I hadn't looked at in a while, but it's really tedious to read through. Should not be used as a primary resource. Even if you memorize all of it it would be hard to break 240. There is just a lot missing that was in B&B and Pathoma.
Combank - School gave it to us, I found the questions were lower quality than Uworld. Used it mainly for OMM questions. Ended up doing about 1000, usually did 40 a week, 81% overall. In the week between my USMLE and COMLEX, I did a bunch of OMM questions for a refresher and to get used to the writing style.

Yeah, long question stems and people barely finishing in time worries me. I did Comsae and I finished with only 5 min to spare. Considering everyone is saying Comlex has longer questions - I'm screwed? I can improve knowledge, but I can't improve my ability to read and think faster. I'm bummed, because it feels like a reading competition instead of knowledge. Puts slower test takers in disadvantage imho :(

I finished the only COMSAE I took with over an hour to spare, and I ended up using every second on COMLEX. I'd recommend entering the test with a time management strategy. For example, I found the stroke localization and OMM questions to be the most time consuming. I would skip these until the end of each block, and then analyze how much time you have left to answer them. If you only have 5 minutes to answer 10 questions, then just make the most of it and do some guess work.

Whatever you do, don't carry over time by thinking "it's fine, the next block will be shorter" -- it won't. A classmate of mine did this and ended up blind guessing on 40 questions.

Another tip: At least 30% of the questions can be answered simply by reading the question and looking at the answers. Often these are attached to long stems to throw you off. Make sure you take advantage of this by reading the question first and only reading the stem if you need more information.

Hey everyone. took the exam on the 17th. I kept running out of time, I was ten minutes behind every block. had to guess on a few questions. was literally trembling during the exam bc I was running out of time. Had a few tough pharm questions. i felt like i didn't have time to even process the questions and think about the answers. I tried reading the question before even reading the stem and sometimes it helped other times it didn't. i had more biochem questions than I was expecting. some questions had 2 tables. I did combank and finished each block with 10 mins left but during the exam I was running out of time. I hope I passed. honestly felt like I was just clicking random answers. holy f, so many respiratory phys questions. oh and farkin cardio. had a few murmur questions. overall it was a tough exam. foirgot to mention. so many histo slides. The stem helped me a little but dam I had 3-4 histo slides and had to use my best educational guess

ps: im a below avg student .

Congratulations! If you did Combank/Comquest/Uworld, how did you think the difficulty of the questions on there compared to the real exam (seems like the real exam questions are much longer)?
My school gave us Combank so I tried it out and only ended up using it for OMM. I felt UWorld was a better use of my time since it revealed more of my knowledge gaps (started out around 40-50%) and had better explanations with thought-provoking questions. Never did Comquest. The real thing had a mix of basic recall that you either know or you don’t mixed in with UWorld level difficulty imo. Nothing prepared me for the looooonng stems on the majority of questions and you had to be quick about sorting out what was important and what was being asked. I had no time to go back so I’d guess and move on since I was always behind.

Hey everyone. took the exam on the 17th. I kept running out of time, I was ten minutes behind every block. had to guess on a few questions. was literally trembling during the exam bc I was running out of time. Had a few tough pharm questions. i felt like i didn't have time to even process the questions and think about the answers. I tried reading the question before even reading the stem and sometimes it helped other times it didn't. i had more biochem questions than I was expecting. some questions had 2 tables. I did combank and finished each block with 10 mins left but during the exam I was running out of time. I hope I passed. honestly felt like I was just clicking random answers. holy f, so many respiratory phys questions. oh and farkin cardio. had a few murmur questions. overall it was a tough exam. foirgot to mention. so many histo slides. The stem helped me a little but dam I had 3-4 histo slides and had to use my best educational guess

ps: im a below avg student .

Boo histo! Sounds like a tough exam, congrats on finishing, and you never know, most people walk out feeling terrible and generally do ok (on sdn of course the averages are skewed way high). If you don't mind me asking did you do any comsaes (if so, what were the ranges/avgs)? What was the range for your combank average? And for the physio queetions, was it stuff you had seen before through FA/uworld/combank or random wtf type of questions?

Congrats on being done!

A lot of questions just have a lot of fluff. Maybe you could try developing some kind of strategy like reading the first and last sentences first and then working your way backwards or jumping straight to lab values to answer questions.

COMSAE D (April): 481
COMBANK 400 Assessment (MAY):567
NBME 13 (June): 215
NBME 18 (July): 223
COMSAE C (July): 649

Took NBME 19 today 3 days away from Step 1. Got 225 :/. Kinda disappointed. I took COMLEX this past Tuesday. I came out of that prometric hoping I passed.

COMSAE D (April): 481
COMBANK 400 Assessment (MAY):567
NBME 13 (June): 215
NBME 18 (July): 223
COMSAE C (July): 649

Took NBME 19 today 3 days away from Step 1. Got 225 :/. Kinda disappointed. I took COMLEX this past Tuesday. I came out of that prometric hoping I passed.

I've heard from lots of people that NBME 19 has a really terrible curve so definitely keep that in mind!

What did you think was wacky about the COMLEX? Your comsae scores are amazing!

Essentially what we've been reading here. I didn't take them seriously but I was proved wrong. Questions were long. There were videos half a minute long.

On another note, I took UWSA 2 today. Got 234. At this point, I really just want at least 230.

Essentially what we've been reading here. I didn't take them seriously but I was proved wrong. Questions were long. There were videos half a minute long.

On another note, I took UWSA 2 today. Got 234. At this point, I really just want at least 230.

How was it in terms of content? Did you feel like it tested high yield topics most of the time or was it mostly random low yield info not found in FA or your studying? Your uworld scores are really amazing, good luck with Step 1!

How was it in terms of content? Did you feel like it tested high yield topics most of the time or was it mostly random low yield info not found in FA or your studying? Your uworld scores are really amazing, good luck with Step 1!

UWSA 2? I thought it was more difficult than any NBMEs I have taken. Heavy on biochem. Plenty of random low yield info. Thankfully, the curve is more generous than NBME

UWSA 2? I thought it was more difficult than any NBMEs I have taken. Heavy on biochem. Plenty of random low yield info. Thankfully, the curve is more generous than NBME

Sorry I meant COMLEX haha. Yeah the nbme don't seem as difficult as Uworld but I heard they're still good at predicting.

I'm taking the comlex soon and am kind of freaking out! @_@''

Sorry I meant COMLEX haha. Yeah the nbme don't seem as difficult as Uworld but I heard they're still good at predicting.

I'm taking the comlex soon and am kind of freaking out! @_@''

I keep reading/hearing that COMLEX was heavy on this or that but from my experience, it was well balanced. It was more like COMSAE C in terms of content distribution but with much longer question stems.

OMM was doable. I didn't study the techniques in detail (positions, etc.) and I think I did fine. Just know the core principles. Savarese is enough.

I keep reading/hearing that COMLEX was heavy on this or that but from my experience, it was well balanced. It was more like COMSAE C in terms of content distribution but with much longer question stems.

OMM was doable. I didn't study the techniques in detail (positions, etc.) and I think I did fine. Just know the core principles. Savarese is enough.

Thanks man, here's to hoping for the best!

Agh, weeks of wondering. Torture.

I really hope it is over 400.

But if it isn’t, it wouldn’t be my first setback in life and plenty of doctors working now didn’t make it their first try.

I honestly felt like if I failed I would self-destruct and the world would end but if it actually happens, I’ll just buckle down for a month and try again. All you can do.

Can’t wait to know though.

Last edited:
I thought I crushed the COMLEX and did poorly on the USMLE, but if anything it was the other way around! I guess I can't tell what my percentile is yet though.

Goal scores: step 1 - 240, comlex - 600

Actual scores:
Step 1: 237
COMLEX: 543

NBMEs: steady around 230 1 week out
UWSAs: both were 245 a month and a week out
COMSAEs: form a (12/17) 410, form d (3/18): 528, form e (5/18): 550

I really thought I could reach close to 600 considering that I scored a 550 a month before the exam. Kind of disappointing that I didn't reach my goal scores, but hey it could be worse. I thought that UWSA2 was supposed to be the closest predictor but clearly it overpredicted for me.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought I crushed the COMLEX and did poorly on the USMLE, but if anything it was the other way around! I guess I can't tell what my percentile is yet though.

Actual scores:

I really thought I could reach close to 600 considering that I scored a 550 a month before the exam. Kind of disappointing that I didn't reach my goal scores, but hey it could be worse. I thought that UWSA2 was supposed to be the closest predictor but clearly it overpredicted for me.

Congrats on the great scores, even though you didn't hit your personal goal those numbers will surely keep doors well open for you!

How did you feel the COMLEX was compared to the different comsaes you took?

Actual scores:

I'm just wondering why your gain between Comsae d and e is minimal 528 vs 550 - while the time difference is exactly 2 months!? Was Comsae E harder?

This is to give some ease to those who didn't do well on COMSAES.
I took COMLEX in June 2018 and just got my score back.

2 months before -- COMSAE D= 432
3 days after taking COMSAE D -- COMSAE B= 468
10 days before -- COMSAE A = 581
6 days before -- COMSAE C = 498

**COMLEX= between 550-560
I am VERY happy with this score. And shocked.

I only got through 65% of COMBANK. I did COMQUEST the last month and got through 60% of it. COMQUEST is amazing and I feel contributed to my increased COMLEX score. Finished UWORLD 1.5 times, was averaging around 60%. I stopped focussing on USMLE the last month because I decided to push it back (NBMEs weren't in a safe spot and I was burning out).

I walked out of COMLEX feeling certain that I failed it. This year definitely is the recorrected curve year. The exam was challenging because of long question stems and minimal time. I'm a slow reader so it was like "sink or swim" mode the entire torturous 9 hours. All of the "classically easy" topics (like OMM) were made difficult by being 6-20 sentences long and complicated wording, while all of the difficult topics were short and you either knew it or you didn't. Micro was probably 1/4th of the exam and had buzzwords/freebies.

Also, there seems to be no correlation with the COMSAEs whatsoever. Many of my friends who scored consistently above 600 on the COMSAEs had a COMLEX between 500-550, a good amount had 550-600, only 3-4 people had above 600. Next week should be when they release the average, I'm guessing/hoping they will have made it to be around 515-520, but only time will tell.

Best of luck guys. For those who haven't gotten their score back yet- stay positive and hopefully it will work out for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
More likely than the rumor going around of raising the passing score to 450 since most DO schools require a 450 on COMSAEs to get an OK to take the exam (however, I've seen schools allow students to take it if they feel ready even if their COMSAEs was <450) or students opting to take a known "easy" COMSAE form like A and getting a 450+ (although I've heard that form in particular could give a false sense of confidence and has historically over predicted students at our school).
I think schools are making 450 the cutoff for COMSAEs because it allows a margin of error in either direction but indicates the student is likely to make the passing 400 score on COMLEX. lt's probably just to feel more confident that the student will pass, not because COMLEX is raising the minimum passing score.

Last edited:
When does the NBOME update the percentile calculator so it has the current testing cycle?