COMLEX Official 2018 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

• Thread starter ThrowAwayStepDO
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

ThrowAwayStepDO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have done well on Comlex (and USMLE), I give my most sincere congratulations to you all because I know how hard everyone worked to get those scores and do well on these board exams. I'm just posting this to give some people who may not have done as well or who do not do as well some hope with scores that is more down to earth. For reference, I'm pretty much what I would call an "average Joe med student" - ranked probably somewhere in the bottom 25th percentile of the class, with grades that aren't close to failing per se, but always below the class average (maybe that makes me below average...? :confused:). I was also one who took one of the earlier Comlex exams in the 3rd week of May that fell within the new score cycle. Just following the standard format that most people seems to use:

- Comsae D (~ a little over 2 weeks before the exam started): 481
- Comsae B (2 days after Comsae D): 473
- Comsae C (1 week before the test): 523
- COMBANK Assessment 2 (around the same time as Comsaes): ~540 range. We also took a COMBANK Assessment 1 in January of second year, but I won't most post it, because it was meaningless, I didn't remember anything, and it was more to just see what we didn't know.
- Actual Comlex 1: 510-520. Happy with this score, because I too, walked out of the exam feeling like I failed it miserably, and would need to retake it. And its a score that will still allow me to do what I originally wanted to do in medicine (as I'm reaffirming during rotations right now), so I'm very thankful.

- Because classes ended so late, my actual dedicated study period was just ~2 weeks. I wanted to take a study month for boards, but unfortunately, that wasn't given to me because I technically passed the Comsae D cutoff, and also passed my school's board review exam as well. I wasn't able to study much during the 2nd semester of 2nd year, because I was the type of student who wasn't able to balance both board studying and classes well, and I almost ended up failing a couple of classes when I focused too much on board studying (which could have been disastrous). I did manage to study on and off for about a month or so, but not much, because before I could even take boards, I needed to make sure that I passed 2nd year first.
- I wasn't able to actually finish a single question bank. During my 2 weeks of dedicated study period, I literally studied like 12-14 hours a day (because desperation and panic starting sinking in, once I realized that I wouldn't have more time to study). By the end of my off/on month and dedicated study period, I finished about 80% of UWorld (with an average of ~50%), 70% of COMBANK (with an average of 62%), and about 50% of COMQUEST (average of 62%). Of course, I understand that one should to finish a question bank, and that I probably overloaded myself with too many, without finishing one. But I appreciated the fact that I got to experience (and learn) from a variety of different questions, and I think it helped me understand and learn in a variety of ways.
- What worked in my favor though, was that OMM was always one of my strongest subject (in school, in practice exams, and in the real COMLEX exam). Also, considering micro and pharm were huge on my exam, sketchy micro and pharm probably saved my butt plenty of times, and I happened to have easier anatomy/neuro questions (which wasn't my strong suit, but manageable on the actual test). Those 3 areas, which were my strengths, helped save a lot of time during studying, and allowed me to focus whatever time I had left on pathophysiology of organ systems.

As I said though, I still felt like I failed the exam miserably (even more so, knowing that the curve would be reset), but I ended up doing okay! So just wanted to shout out encouragement to those who are still waiting for scores/still studying for the test that you can also get through this and do okay as well! Sending positive vibes your way. Any questions, just ask/message me!

Reactions: 7 users
To those who have done well on Comlex (and USMLE), I give my most sincere congratulations to you all because I know how hard everyone worked to get those scores and do well on these board exams. I'm just posting this to give some people who may not have done as well or who do not do as well some hope with scores that is more down to earth. For reference, I'm pretty much what I would call an "average Joe med student" - ranked probably somewhere in the bottom 25th percentile of the class, with grades that aren't close to failing per se, but always below the class average (maybe that makes me below average...? :confused:). I was also one who took one of the earlier Comlex exams in the 3rd week of May that fell within the new score cycle. Just following the standard format that most people seems to use:

- Comsae D (~ a little over 2 weeks before the exam started): 481
- Comsae B (2 days after Comsae D): 473
- Comsae C (1 week before the test): 523
- COMBANK Assessment 2 (around the same time as Comsaes): ~540 range. We also took a COMBANK Assessment 1 in January of second year, but I won't most post it, because it was meaningless, I didn't remember anything, and it was more to just see what we didn't know.
- Actual Comlex 1: 510-520. Happy with this score, because I too, walked out of the exam feeling like I failed it miserably, and would need to retake it. And its a score that will still allow me to do what I originally wanted to do in medicine (as I'm reaffirming during rotations right now), so I'm very thankful.

- Because classes ended so late, my actual dedicated study period was just ~2 weeks. I wanted to take a study month for boards, but unfortunately, that wasn't given to me because I technically passed the Comsae D cutoff, and also passed my school's board review exam as well. I wasn't able to study much during the 2nd semester of 2nd year, because I was the type of student who wasn't able to balance both board studying and classes well, and I almost ended up failing a couple of classes when I focused too much on board studying (which could have been disastrous). I did manage to study on and off for about a month or so, but not much, because before I could even take boards, I needed to make sure that I passed 2nd year first.
- I wasn't able to actually finish a single question bank. During my 2 weeks of dedicated study period, I literally studied like 12-14 hours a day (because desperation and panic starting sinking in, once I realized that I wouldn't have more time to study). By the end of my off/on month and dedicated study period, I finished about 80% of UWorld (with an average of ~50%), 70% of COMBANK (with an average of 62%), and about 50% of COMQUEST (average of 62%). Of course, I understand that one should to finish a question bank, and that I probably overloaded myself with too many, without finishing one. But I appreciated the fact that I got to experience (and learn) from a variety of different questions, and I think it helped me understand and learn in a variety of ways.
- What worked in my favor though, was that OMM was always one of my strongest subject (in school, in practice exams, and in the real COMLEX exam). Also, considering micro and pharm were huge on my exam, sketchy micro and pharm probably saved my butt plenty of times, and I happened to have easier anatomy/neuro questions (which wasn't my strong suit, but manageable on the actual test). Those 3 areas, which were my strengths, helped save a lot of time during studying, and allowed me to focus whatever time I had left on pathophysiology of organ systems.

As I said though, I still felt like I failed the exam miserably (even more so, knowing that the curve would be reset), but I ended up doing okay! So just wanted to shout out encouragement to those who are still waiting for scores/still studying for the test that you can also get through this and do okay as well! Sending positive vibes your way. Any questions, just ask/message me!

Thank you for your post! I'm also below average student and this shows that there is hope for me too. I'm also at about average 50% in UW (still have 1/2 of UW to go), so it's good to know that it's close to passing score. I didn't make it to 450 Comsae cutoff and have to retake it.

Reactions: 1 user
@ayyoDO what we’re your comquest combank averages?
COMQUEST was 71%, COMBANK was 68%. In my opinion, averages on Q-banks are not a clear indicator because you are actively learning from each question as you go along (I did all of mine on tutor mode) and it’s averaged over a large period of time. They probably are only helpful if you start over fresh on a Q-bank a few weeks before your exam and use that average.

I was doing around 200 Questions a day the last 2 weeks before my exam. The explanations from COMQUEST were amazing and I think having them in the back of my mind during COMLEX helped me reason through some questions. I didn’t study OMM until a few days before my exam, but only because I studied diligently the first 2 years to really understand it, so it was one of my stronger subjects. I did all of the OMM Questions from COMBANK and COMQUEST twice over the 3 days before my exam so it was fresh in my mind.

I felt like I burned out the day before my exam and was going stir crazy, so all I did was look through First Aid’s musculoskeletal/anatomy section and watched sketchy. After a certain point, it’s kind of like... you know what you know and there isn’t much you can gain from cramming in that last night except maybe some extra anxiety.

So I guess overall, I credit my score to spending a lot of time trying to understand concepts and doing multiple Q-banks (COMQuest, UWorld, combank) on topics to solidify what I had learned from questions I had gotten wrong before. It would have been nice to finish the Q-Banks, but at the end of the day I felt it was more important to see questions on the same stuff asked in multiple different ways.

...although, I wasn’t too upset about not finishing COMBANK because the majority of those questions were very irritating and poorly written and I greatly disliked every moment spent using that Q-bank.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those who took multiple COMSAEs and have sat for COMLEX, which ones would you recommend?

I have taken D.

If you’re gonna take more tests, do the UWSA. At least you get explanations with those. I took comsae d only, 2 NBMEs and a UWSA. I don’t regret that course of action

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Disagree. 70-80% of my exam was exactly like the comsaes. In hindsight I wish I took all 5.

Really? I guess that shows how different the test can be on different days. All my COMSAE questions were short and super easy. A lot of high-yield.

My COMLEX questions were several paragraphs long, and not as much high-yield. Only a few give-me’s.

For those who took multiple COMSAEs and have sat for COMLEX, which ones would you recommend?

I have taken D.

Haven't taken the exam yet (very soon), but I took D (I think our school gave this one to us), B, A, and C in that order. A was too easy and C was pretty difficult.

My COMLEX questions were several paragraphs long, and not as much high-yield. Only a few give-me’s.

So scared to take this thing....T____T

Members don't see this ad :)
“What is the next best step”?

Me, “I guess I gotta dig through this mess after all.”

And I got 30 seconds to dig through these five paragraphs. Let’s look at the labs. Okay, so maybe something kidney? Dig. Dig. Dig.

OMG this is taking several minutes.

Got my score... >530.

COMSAE's were 495 two months out and 611 one month out (both provided by the school). Required Combank 200q assessment one month out was 550-560. Moral of the story, don't put too much stock in your COMSAE's; they suck.

Kinda bummed my real score was lower, but it really doesn't matter at all since I took Step 1 (220's). Time to move on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Step 1: 238
Comlex: 652

I agree with whoever said don't waste money on COMSAEs. I studied strictly for Step 1 with UFAPS. I took Step 1 on 6/15 and COMLEX on 6/18. With the two days in between tests, I only studied OMM with OMGOMT and a little Savarese. If you are planning on taking Step 1, this approach was perfect. I did Uworld 2x and it prepares you enough for COMLEX minus OMM. I did 20-50 combank and comquest questions for OMM with my study group (3-4 guys) per day during 6 wks of dedicated and we discussed them together.

I did take COMSAE form E as required by my school and got 629 on 4/21.

Step 1: 238
Comlex: 652

I agree with whoever said don't waste money on COMSAEs. I studied strictly for Step 1 with UFAPS. I took Step 1 on 6/15 and COMLEX on 6/18. With the two days in between tests, I only studied OMM with OMGOMT and a little Savarese. If you are planning on taking Step 1, this approach was perfect. I did Uworld 2x and it prepares you enough for COMLEX minus OMM. I did 20-50 combank and comquest questions for OMM with my study group (3-4 guys) per day during 6 wks of dedicated and we discussed them together.

I did take COMSAE form E as required by my school and got 629 on 4/21.

Lol $45-60 for a Comsae is not much when a whole career and thus your future life depends on this exam. People are paying $200-380k for 4 years of med.school - and still care about $60 for an exam that is written by same people who write comlex questions. If anything your 4/21 score showed that you are in a good place to be before dedicated. For others like me who are struggling to get 450 on Comsae - this is also a good indicator that I'm not ready yet. So imho it's $60 well worth every penny.

Happy to report that I passed but did so much better on my USMLE Step 1 than this dogshiet exam

Step 1 220s
Comlex 1 470s

UWSA 2 was 234
My scores were similar >220 usmle 510-520 comlex. Final nbme/uwsa were similar to my real score, combank/comsae over predicted me by almost 100 lol

Just checked my score. Ended up with a 535 on COMLEX 1.

I only took 1 COMSAE (required by our school to sit for COMLEX) and that was it.

I had 7 days between step 1 and comlex 1.
Took 4 of those days off.
Spent 2 days rereading step 1.
Day before, I read green book and youtube videos on chapman's.

Thank god this stupid ass exam is done but still pissed that studying for USMLE helped me more on COMLEX than the actual USMLE.

WTF IS THAT?

Hoping for psych, IM, FM, etc.

Any advice or thoughts from those with similar scores would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Lol $45-60 for a Comsae is not much when a whole career and thus your future life depends on this exam. People are paying $200-380k for 4 years of med.school - and still care about $60 for an exam that is written by same people who write comlex questions. If anything your 4/21 score showed that you are in a good place to be before dedicated. For others like me who are struggling to get 450 on Comsae - this is also a good indicator that I'm not ready yet. So imho it's $60 well worth every penny.
Sheesh. Shark week got ya fired up??
I'm just offering the same advice that was offered to me and it worked! Apparently it worked for queenjames (see below) as well. Study hard for step 1 and you are set up for comlex too. Maybe you could try and do that too if you are striggling with comsaes.. Comsaes are too first order and short. The only thing people should be doing are Uworld qbank and UWSA and nbme. This approach sets you up best to do well on BOTH tests.

Really? I guess that shows how different the test can be on different days. All my COMSAE questions were short and super easy. A lot of high-yield.

I feel the same way. COMSAE question stems were at least pretty short. I finished COMSAE D with well over an hour to spare. COMLEX was completely different. Long question stems (had no time to go back and check marked questions.) Low-yield content. VERY low yield micro questions. Compared to UWorld....I think the questions on COMLEX were extremely poorly written. I found myself having to make assumptions on a handful of questions. The fatigue made the "easy" questions seem fairly difficult. So to reiterate for those of you who are reading this and have yet to take the COMLEX....it was nothing like the COMSAE exam I took.

I feel the same way. COMSAE question stems were at least pretty short. I finished COMSAE D with well over an hour to spare. COMLEX was completely different. Long question stems (had no time to go back and check marked questions.) Low-yield content. VERY low yield micro questions. Compared to UWorld....I think the questions on COMLEX were extremely poorly written. I found myself having to make assumptions on a handful of questions. The fatigue made the "easy" questions seem fairly difficult. So to reiterate for those of you who are reading this and have yet to take the COMLEX....it was nothing like the COMSAE exam I took.

Low yield micro as in the non-bacterial non-virus stuff? Or low yield stuff that's not in First Aid (had a couple of questions on the Comsae which had bugs I've never seen in FA).

Low yield micro as in the non-bacterial non-virus stuff? Or low yield stuff that's not in First Aid (had a couple of questions on the Comsae which had bugs I've never seen in FA).

Both! I relied mainly on FA for micro. I did some sketchy, and it helped to some extent. But I'm not sure if anything would have prepared me for some of the micro questions.

Congrats! Care to share any thoughts about the COMLEX in terms of breakdown of topics or difficulty in terms of Combank, Comquest, Comsaes, Uworld, etc?

I only did UWORLD but 2X. Once during the year, and again during dedicated. I thought I tanked the USMLE walking out so naturally felt shocked and relieved to get the score that I did. COMLEX felt meh...I would have taken anything over 400 so this was a pleasant surprise as well. Using UFAP to study for the USMLE was enough to get me a 580+

Sheesh. Shark week got ya fired up??
I'm just offering the same advice that was offered to me and it worked! Apparently it worked for queenjames (see below) as well. Study hard for step 1 and you are set up for comlex too. Maybe you could try and do that too if you are striggling with comsaes.. Comsaes are too first order and short. The only thing people should be doing are Uworld qbank and UWSA and nbme. This approach sets you up best to do well on BOTH tests.

Unless you get screwed by an insane exam (I'm still bitter about that lol).

Just checked my score. Ended up with a 535 on COMLEX 1.

I only took 1 COMSAE (required by our school to sit for COMLEX) and that was it.

I had 7 days between step 1 and comlex 1.
Took 4 of those days off.
Spent 2 days rereading step 1.
Day before, I read green book and youtube videos on chapman's.

Thank god this stupid ass exam is done but still pissed that studying for USMLE helped me more on COMLEX than the actual USMLE.

WTF IS THAT?

Hoping for psych, IM, FM, etc.

Any advice or thoughts from those with similar scores would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Not sure what the cutoffs you should be aiming for psych and IM are, but from what I've seen and heard so far, I'm pretty sure a 535 will get you a wide variety of choices in FM, even with the merger. A lot of FM residency program directors I've met with seemed to be fine with anything above a 500, and others with scores above 450 (especially when you do well on audition rotations and show a genuine interest in the field). So I don't think you have to worry too much about FM.

really disappointed. just got my comlex score today of 490.
I had a 505 on comsae E first time around back in april and a combank assessment of 580 week and a half before comlex. Last NBME [19] was 215 a week before the exam. Ended up delaying usmle because of that nbme, will be taking it late november [i have psych and family med so it's easier to study around that time]
Just really disappointed in myself at this point. I was interested in obgyn and i feel like I don't even have a chance at it anymore.

Just got my score at 526....It says average is 520 +/- 80 but on the convertor it says 38 percentile LOL... what's considered a descent score for COMLEX in terms of IM?

Just got my comlex score back too, comlex was 661, so pretty happy with that, but further cements my thoughts that I really just under-performed big time on usmle, which is disheartening (especially since I wanted to do academic ACGME IM).
UWSA1: 251
UWSA2: 245
Comsae (form E I think if I remember correctly): 657
NBME 18: 246

USMLE: 232
COMLEX: 661
Comsae was pretty predictive for me, but have friends that just heard back that scored over 100 points lower, so really is a test mostly of luck in my opinion.

I don’t understand what’s happened... I massively underperformed in both USMLE and COMLEX. MY COMSAEs were all high 600s and I scored a 480. I feel absolutely hopeless

I got a 515. What the actual...
My last comsae the week of my test was a 640. Cute, NBOME. It's not like it's going to be harder to match in 2020 anyways.
Aside from the sarcasm, I'm actually freaking out. and want to cry.

This truly is an awful exam. I scored almost 100 points less than the COMSAE (573 vs 483). Good thing I want to do peds...I would be careful taking this exam if you are not getting over 500 consistently

Step 1: 238; Comlex: 591.

Was waiting to get it back before I posted my thoughts.
I used mostly OMGOMT for the omm stuff. Walking out of the exam I thought it was inadequate, however my performance profile says I did decently on OMM so I guess in addition to my school's prep it was adequate.
Took it ~5 days after Step 1. Did not do any additional qbank questions in that time frame. Only practice exam I took was COMSAE E ~1 month out and got a 596 on that

The exam was long as hell and I honestly had trouble finishing blocks within the hour. Lots of questions were so long and had pretty lengthy videos. I felt like no effort or thought was put into whether or not test takers could finish questions within a timely manner, (ie ~70 seconds) when the questions were written. I thought the micro was super wacky and presented in ways I hadn't seen before. I walked out of the exam being uncertain if I passed, which was in contrast to Step 1 where I felt confident I passed, but not that I did well. If I'm being honest I also walked out of COMLEX in disbelief that that flimsy unrefined exam was actually a gateway to a medical license. Was surprised about the number of legal/ethics questions on the exam, but that might be because my only exposure to COMLEX style/format was COMSAE E.

Last edited:
Step 1: 238; Comlex: 591.

Was waiting to get it back before I posted my thoughts.
I used mostly OMGOMT for the omm stuff. Walking out of the exam I thought it was inadequate, however my performance profile says I did decently on OMM so I guess in addition to my school's prep it was adequate.
Took it ~5 days after Step 1. Only practice exam I took was COMSAE E ~1 month out and got a 596 on that. Did not do any additional qbank questions in that time frame.

The exam was long as hell and I honestly had trouble finishing blocks within the hour. Lots of questions were so long and had pretty lengthy videos. I felt like no effort or thought was put into whether or not test takers could finish questions within a timely manner, (ie ~70 seconds) when the questions were written. I thought the micro was super wacky and presented in ways I hadn't seen before. I walked out of the exam being uncertain if I passed, which was in contrast to Step 1 where I felt confident I passed, but not that I did well. If I'm being honest I also walked out of COMLEX in disbelief that that flimsy unrefined exam was actually a gateway to a medical license. Was surprised about the number of legal/ethics questions on the exam, but that might be because my only exposure to COMLEX style/format was COMSAE E.

I don't even know what OMGOMT is but used Savarese and did very well in OMM. I also did very well in Biochem, Anatomy, and Pathology. Micro was in the middle mostly because of their non-FA bug questions. Somehow, behavioral science was my lowest, which is weird, since that is usually my highest. I am starting to think I have someone else's score report lol.

Didn't mean to quote you previously if I did.

That's fair. Should of worded my earlier response differently-- sorry for coming off like a b****

No problem. Rereading my previous post, I can see where some might've thought I meant you would only have a shot at community IM, but not my intent.

Comlex-762
No practice comlex exams, watched omg omt once, the only comlex style questions I did were the Kaplan micro, pharm and omm. If you prep with UWorld and do well with that, this exam will go well for you.