COMLEX Official 2018 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

• Thread starter ThrowAwayStepDO
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

ThrowAwayStepDO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Micro and Heme Onc were HY.

Has anyone got any biostats on their exam yet? In regards to the formulas in FA.

Haha no. And if I did, I don’t remember. 99.9% sure I didn’t have any formulas. I think I maybe had 2-4 biostats questions TOTAL. It’s so low yield that you should focus your energy memorizing other things. Definitely don’t waste your time on biostats formulas.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone remember any formulas coming up on your test that you recommend memorizing? (not including biostats since many people have already said that's low yield!)

So the next scoring period begins on Wed. That means everyone who takes the exam after the 11th tomorrow will take a new form of the exam. Everyone has different forms but many questions and topics are the same among test takers in the same testing period. So if anyone wants to discuss how their exam goes please do. I will do the same when I take mine in a week.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So the next scoring period begins on Wed. That means everyone who takes the exam after the 11th tomorrow will take a new form of the exam. Everyone has different forms but many questions and topics are the same among test takers in the same testing period. So if anyone wants to discuss how their exam goes please do. I will do the same when I take mine in a week.
OMG, I didn't know that. Can you please elaborate if it will be easier or harder?

So for the people who took the test and felt it was a random mess...is it because

1) the information asked was considered "low yield" (ie 1 to 2 sentences in FA with little detail )
2) the information wasn't in first aid at all
3) the question was so convoluted that no sane human being could figure out what they're asking

I just heard from a friend who took it today that the content on the COMLEX was nothing like the content emphasized in Combank or Comquest. So where is the information they're pulling from? I feel like even though Combank and Comquest focus more on obscure micro and certain diseases, that it was generally still asking similar "high yield" topics questions (of course including OMM).

Have about 2 weeks of studying left and it's freaking me out that ya'll with such amazing scores on the practice exams are coming out being like "WTF."

T____T

So for the people who took the test and felt it was a random mess...is it because

1) the information asked was considered "low yield" (ie 1 to 2 sentences in FA with little detail )
3) the question was so convoluted that no sane human being could figure out what they're asking

I just heard from a friend who took it today that the content on the COMLEX was nothing like the content emphasized in Combank or Comquest. So where is the information they're pulling from? I feel like even though Combank and Comquest focus more on obscure micro and certain diseases, that it was generally still asking similar "high yield" topics questions (of course including OMM).

Have about 2 weeks of studying left and it's freaking me out that ya'll with such amazing scores on the practice exams are coming out being like "WTF."

T____T

My best advice is to try and relax. I didn’t think it was as bad as a lot of people have said. I’d say ~75% of my stuff was pretty straightforward but there were a few scattered that I found ridiculous. I felt like the combank assessment was the closest thing to my test as far as difficulty and content go.

My best advice is to try and relax. I didn’t think it was as bad as a lot of people have said. I’d say ~75% of my stuff was pretty straightforward but there were a few scattered that I found ridiculous. I felt like the combank assessment was the closest thing to my test as far as difficulty and content go.

I agree with this except I didn’t take the combank assessment so I can’t comment on that

There will simply be things that you couldn’t have prepared for... and there’s nothing you can do about it so focus on higher yield stuff and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

T____T

All of the above were true for my exam. There were some straightforward questions mixed in with the bunch. But the majority of questions were so long and I felt like I was guessing on at least 50% of each block. And FYI, if this happens to you, it makes you feel HORRIBLE. Most of my questions didn't seem to be high-yield at all, which was frustrating. If I had to guess, about 50% of the exam was easy and straightforward. Another 25% focused on more minute details that you may have gotten right if you were 1. a good guesser or 2. that was one of your strong points. The other 25% was just had me feeling like ".............why in the world would they ask that?". I didn't feel like it was representative of the first two years of med school AT ALL. Especially because my exam seemed to be heavy on 1-2 systems (endo/repro) in particular in addition to micro and OMM, then everything else was just sprinkled on top of that. It definitely wasn't equal at all. Sometimes I knew what they wanted, sometimes I didn't. The ethics questions seemed like they had multiple right answers. And some other questions felt that way too. I've honestly tried to forget everything about the exam. I can barely remember questions now. One will pop into mind every now and then but it didn't solidify in my mind because I was guessing so much. I studied for 7 weeks and did fine on my COMSAEs. I did roughly 3200-3400 practice questions in preparation for this exam, some UWorld but mostly COMBANK. My exam unfortunately was very heavy in my weak subject (endocrine) so I felt absolutely horrible walking out of it. I just didn't know how to feel so I am preparing myself for the worst because I would rather be excited than disappointed when scores are released.

Disclaimer: This post was not intended to be negative nor was it meant to instill fear but rather to give an honest interpretation of my COMLEX experience. Just because I had this experience does not mean that you will have the same one. All you can do is study and study well. That's all you can ask of yourself. And if you give it your best shot, you cannot be disappointed with the results because you couldn't have done anything differently or done anything better. Literally every COMLEX exam will be different, especially since we fall on a restandardization year. So everything is highly experimental right now. This testing cycle was meant to bring the average back down to 500. Don't expect it to be easy but don't expect it to be impossible. You will do fine.

Last edited:

Thanks for your input! I am trying my best to stay sane as I do rotations and study at the same time haha, but sometimes I have better days than others :) Unfortunately our school mandated the combank assessment late in April when we didn't have much dedicated time to study yet so my score was a 450 on that (not great, but definitely better than the 350 I got on Comsae D a week before that at the very start of dedicated).

I will definitely try to go in with a good attitude and not freak out! Thanks again :)

I agree with this except I didn’t take the combank assessment so I can’t comment on that

There will simply be things that you couldn’t have prepared for... and there’s nothing you can do about it so focus on higher yield stuff and hope for the best.

You're so right! I just got freaked out because my friend who took it yesterday threw me off when he said it was nothing like he had studied (which made my mind go into a crazy loop). I can only hope I have prepared to the best of my ability and walk in knowing what I know and not knowing what I don't. Your thoughts are much appreciated !

All of the above were true for my exam. There were some straightforward questions mixed in with the bunch. But the majority of questions were so long and I felt like I was guessing on at least 50% of each block. And FYI, if this happens to you, it makes you feel HORRIBLE. Most of my questions didn't seem to be high-yield at all, which was frustrating. If I had to guess, about 50% of the exam was easy and straightforward. Another 25% focused on more minute details that you may have gotten right if you were 1. a good guesser or 2. that was one of your strong points. The other 25% was just had me feeling like ".............why in the world would they ask that?". I didn't feel like it was representative of the first two years of med school AT ALL. Especially because my exam seemed to be heavy on 1-2 systems (endo/repro) in particular in addition to micro and OMM, then everything else was just sprinkled on top of that. It definitely wasn't equal at all. Sometimes I knew what they wanted, sometimes I didn't. The ethics questions seemed like they had multiple right answers. And some other questions felt that way too. I've honestly tried to forget everything about the exam. I can barely remember questions now. One will pop into mind every now and then but it didn't solidify in my mind because I was guessing so much. I studied for 7 weeks and did fine on my COMSAEs. I did roughly 3200-3400 practice questions in preparation for this exam, some UWorld but mostly COMBANK. My exam unfortunately was very heavy in my weak subject (endocrine) so I felt absolutely horrible walking out of it. I just didn't know how to feel so I am preparing myself for the worst because I would rather be excited than disappointed when scores are released.

Disclaimer: This post was not intended to be negative nor was it meant to instill fear but rather to give an honest interpretation of my COMLEX experience. Just because I had this experience does not mean that you will have the same one. All you can do is study and study well. That's all you can ask of yourself. And if you give it your best shot, you cannot be disappointed with the results because you couldn't have done anything differently or done anything better. Literally every COMLEX exam will be different, especially since we fall on a restandardization year. So everything is highly experimental right now. This testing cycle was meant to bring the average back down to 500. Don't expect it to be easy but don't expect it to be impossible. You will do fine.

Thank you for your honest thoughts, I'm glad you shared them! It really sucks that the exam is so random, but it sounds like you did plenty of prep as much as you could, and if you narrowed choices down then that's a great thing and gives you a better chance than not. I know the wait will be brutal, so hang in there!

If you could go back and prepare differently, would you change anything or do you think you could have done the same thing? I know the random questions no one can prepare for (and maybe some are experimental?), but do you think you would have used another question bank, or changed up how you studied, what topics you would have studied more etc?

Thanks again for your reply!

Last comment of mine regarding this rescoring issue and I promise I will shut up and call a truce or whatever. Another thing we have to keep in mind is that the nbome algorithm adjusts the scores to a mean of 500 (or 520?). That means 1/2 of test takers will score below 500 (assuming the median is also ~500, which is a good assumption with several thousand test takers). Which also means that 1/2 of test takers are going to be really upset when they see their score report and came dangerously close to failing or did in fact fail. And 1/2 of those thousands of test takers is still thousands of unhappy people, hence the reason why we individually don't have the right perspective to judge the scoring. Only someone with true data can assess that.

This is from the COMLEX 2015 thread. So I'm purely going off what I've read from online sources. I should have stated that prior to making that blanket statement. I apologize for the confusion. Additionally, this conjecture is based on the emails that were sent by the NBOME regarding the COMLEX Level 2 CE fiasco back in 2014 (which came after exam restandardization). Because the NBOME said they have "historically mapped scores to a norm-based mean score of 500", I think everyone now assumes this is how they score every exam regardless of level when restandardization comes around.

https://www.nbome.org/docs/Level2_CE_090214.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your honest thoughts, I'm glad you shared them! It really sucks that the exam is so random, but it sounds like you did plenty of prep as much as you could, and if you narrowed choices down then that's a great thing and gives you a better chance than not. I know the wait will be brutal, so hang in there!

If you could go back and prepare differently, would you change anything or do you think you could have done the same thing? I know the random questions no one can prepare for (and maybe some are experimental?), but do you think you would have used another question bank, or changed up how you studied, what topics you would have studied more etc?

Thanks again for your reply!

Honestly, I don't know how much I could've done differently without knowing what I know now. Especially since I didn't know what my exam would be heavy in. I think I tried my best and that's all I can expect of myself even though it was hard to accept how I felt coming out of the exam. I just did what I could to survive that long 7 week period.
But if I could go back and redo my study plan based on my specific COMLEX exam, I think I would've focused on the systems first in First Aid. I only read FA through one time and felt that to be enough especially with the amount of practice exams and questions I was doing. I went through COMBANK slowly and kept a word document full of annotations I could reference (ended up being 86 pages long!!!!!). I should've started going through longer question blocks sooner but I felt like I couldn't do a ton of questions without reviewing the material out of FA first. Just start with 40 as the baseline or else there's no way you'll make it through an entire question bank. I definitely would've made sure I had endocrine and renal down more. I thought I had those both down a little better going into the exam but the topics I got weren't ones that I knew particularly well so that was my mistake. I used a lot of quizlet (anki's format just confuses me haha) toward the end and that helped a lot with short-term memory the week before going into the test. Those especially helped with micro as well as pathology. I think that really helped me in the end. You're welcome to PM me if you have any further questions! Hope I gave enough info!

Honestly, I don't know how much I could've done differently without knowing what I know now. Especially since I didn't know what my exam would be heavy in. I think I tried my best and that's all I can expect of myself even though it was hard to accept how I felt coming out of the exam. I just did what I could to survive that long 7 week period.
But if I could go back and redo my study plan based on my specific COMLEX exam, I think I would've focused on the systems first in First Aid. I only read FA through one time and felt that to be enough especially with the amount of practice exams and questions I was doing. I went through COMBANK slowly and kept a word document full of annotations I could reference (ended up being 86 pages long!!!!!). I should've started going through longer question blocks sooner but I felt like I couldn't do a ton of questions without reviewing the material out of FA first. Just start with 40 as the baseline or else there's no way you'll make it through an entire question bank. I definitely would've made sure I had endocrine and renal down more. I thought I had those both down a little better going into the exam but the topics I got weren't ones that I knew particularly well so that was my mistake. I used a lot of quizlet (anki's format just confuses me haha) toward the end and that helped a lot with short-term memory the week before going into the test. Those especially helped with micro as well as pathology. I think that really helped me in the end. You're welcome to PM me if you have any further questions! Hope I gave enough info!

Thank you so much for your response! I totally hear you about wanting to go through FA before doing questions (it is what I did as well). I have 2 weeks left so maybe I will try to review 2-3 systems a day each night after rotations!

I have a similar word document, but I put stuff in Anki instead and try to review flash cards of the things as much as I can. I'm pretty weak in renal as well so I'll be sure to try to hammer that home (though at this point what exactly can I say I am confident in...haha).

Thanks again for your input, I'm a little sad to see that the COMLEX thread is so small, with the USMLE thread having over 75 pages, but alas! I'll definitely be posting back here once I take the exam in 2 weeks!

Good luck with the wait, you're done for now!

This is from the COMLEX 2015 thread. So I'm purely going off what I've read from online sources. I should have stated that prior to making that blanket statement. I apologize for the confusion. Additionally, this conjecture is based on the emails that were sent by the NBOME regarding the COMLEX Level 2 CE fiasco back in 2014 (which came after exam restandardization). Because the NBOME said they have "historically mapped scores to a norm-based mean score of 500", I think everyone now assumes this is how they score every exam regardless of level when restandardization comes around.

https://www.nbome.org/docs/Level2_CE_090214.pdf

Well that sucks considering a huge number of programs have a 500 cutoff for interview.

No idea what form people got who said it was a cake-walk.
I did great on my step 1 and walked out of this feeling even worse. The stems were ridiculously long, no time to think, very few gimmies.
I even had to guess on the last 5 questions because I fell so far behind. I took mine early june so hopefully I did better than I think but I walked out feeling like I got hit by a train.

Well, we are getting close to the score release dates for May 21-June 15 test takers. How are people feeling as we approach the next week?

Well, we are getting close to the score release dates for May 21-June 15 test takers. How are people feeling as we approach the next week?

Nervous lol at this point I don’t even remember what happened on the exam

No idea what form people got who said it was a cake-walk.
I did great on my step 1 and walked out of this feeling even worse. The stems were ridiculously long, no time to think, very few gimmies.
I even had to guess on the last 5 questions because I fell so far behind. I took mine early june so hopefully I did better than I think but I walked out feeling like I got hit by a train.

I'm right there with you. Felt better about step 1. I got mid 250s on step. See how comlex goes this wed.

When are you guys supposed to get your scores back? I'm taking COMLEX on Monday and I've still been anxiously awaiting for people to post their scores in hopes of seeing that people ended up doing okay even though they felt horrible after the exam (I'm fully anticipating feeling like absolute crap after I take it, I just wanna know I'm not totally screwed lolol.)
Score Release Dates — NBOME
the one thing they do better than NBME is post actual dates

The NBOME Dean just sent an email to all COM deans saying they increased the passing score for Level 1. Not sure if they set a new scale, are making it as high as a 450 who knows, they are never clear -_-

I'm right there with you. Felt better about step 1. I got mid 250s on step. See how comlex goes this wed.

Oh dear lord imma need some luck and maybe some magic potions to do well on COMLEX if someone who got an amazing Step 1 score came out of the exam feeling unsure :O

Congrats on your awesome Step 1 score!

Oh dear lord imma need some luck and maybe some magic potions to do well on COMLEX if someone who got an amazing Step 1 score came out of the exam feeling unsure :O

Congrats on your awesome Step 1 score!

Thanks! Sorry, didn't want to make anyone feel uneasy. Yes, there were some easy comlex blocks, but a couple comlex blocks felt more difficult than USMLE. It was a tale of 2 extremes. I just felt way better after the usmle. Good luck!

How many newly opened schools had classes taking level 1 for the first time this year?

Strange move by the NBOME, whatever it is they do, it sounds like it will hurt students in the first unified match.

The NBOME Dean just sent an email to all COM deans saying they increased the passing score for Level 1. Not sure if they set a new scale, are making it as high as a 450 who knows, they are never clear -_-

That looks like more speculations to me. We won’t know what they’re actually going to do til this week

That is definitely a huge increase in average for last testing year, but luckily the data starts fresh with us and a new test so maybe the average will normalize. We will have to see how much they increase the passing score, if they do. Excited and scared for Wednesday.

COMSAE D (April): 481
COMBANK 400 Assessment (MAY):567
NBME 13 (June): 215
NBME 18 (July): 223
COMSAE C (July): 649

My comlex is this Tuesday. Don't know what to make of my NBME 18 and COMSAE C results. They're so far apart percentile wise.

COMSAE D (April): 481
COMBANK 400 Assessment (MAY):567
NBME 13 (June): 215
NBME 18 (July): 223
COMSAE C (July): 649

My comlex is this Tuesday. Don't know what to make of my NBME 18 and COMSAE C results. They're so far apart percentile wise.

You've improved so much, that is awesome! Definitely come back and share your thoughts about the exam on Tuesday (along with what resources you felt best prepared you for the materials, ie combank, comquest, uworld), would love to see more activity on this COMLEX thread.

Best of luck, you've got this!

So this increasing passing score thing - will this affect everyone who is taking comlex from now on or they are going to implement it for 2019 only?

So this increasing passing score thing - will this affect everyone who is taking comlex from now on or they are going to implement it for 2019 only?

This will affect everyone during this testing cycle (2018-2019). Last cycle ended in April 2018. So anyone who's taken the COMLEX from May 21, 2018 on will be affected by the new passing score if this is indeed true. Verified by the NBOME website under "Score Release Dates".

has anyone taken the exam within the last couple of days since the new scoring period began? interested in hearing what it focused on/ what you thought of it

...Probably been asked/said before... but do they send an email out letting us know our scores/that they’ve been released or do I just need to hit refresh on the nbmoe website all day tomorrow?

This was released on the NBOME website recently:

ATTENTION: COMLEX-USA LEVEL 1 SCORE RELEASE
If you took Level 1 on these dates, scores will release as follows: Test dates 5/21/2018 - 6/7/2018, scores release on 7/18/18; test dates 6/8/2018 - 6/15/2018, scores release on 7/19/2018; test dates 6/18/2018 - 6/22/2018, scores release on 7/25/2018; and test dates 6/25/2018 - 7/12/2018, scores release on 7/26/2018.

If you took Level 1 on these dates, scores will release as follows: Test dates 5/21/2018 - 6/7/2018, scores release on 7/18/18; test dates 6/8/2018 - 6/15/2018, scores release on 7/19/2018; test dates 6/18/2018 - 6/22/2018, scores release on 7/25/2018; and test dates 6/25/2018 - 7/12/2018, scores release on 7/26/2018.
Nice. Now if only there was a time estimate for the release.

Nice. Now if only there was a time estimate for the release.
You’ll only get your score if you attend that ‘Breakout session groups for mission statement’ block tomorrow morning.

But typically it’s later in the day, from what oms IVs have told me

Oh no, this is so scary! It's going to be a long day tomorrow.

Good luck everyone! Would love to hear how your scores compared to either Combank/Comquest averages and/or Comsae averages when you get them back this week (to try to see some general trends despite the undoubtedly wide range of pre-test scores). Much appreciated!

Took comlex 1 yesterday, overall mine was very little neuro, ton of omm (probably 25% of my exam), not as much micro (maybe 12-15), A TON of reproductive (felt like 25% of the test). Cardio, GI, and endocrine were scattered throughout. Had like 2 biostats questions, so they were low yield like people said. Overall, I thought the test was pretty tough. All of the question stems were very vague, and I felt as if I had to guess on half the exam. Time was definitely a factor for me because some OMM questions required me to think in a very unnatural and time consuming way. The other half of the test has very simple questions that leave you feeling as if they are trying to trick you (they aren't).

What took (required by the school) was the following:
Comsae E: 485 (in may)
Comsae D: 598 (in june)
NBME 15: 230 (late june)
Uworld: 72% 1st pass (finished in july)
Combank: 56% (mainly because we were required to do a thousand from the school during the year, and I just picked C for everything). Then when I took it seriously to prep for comlex, I raised it from 30% --> 56%
Comlex 1: I hope I passed

Took comlex 1 yesterday, overall mine was very little neuro, ton of omm (probably 25% of my exam), not as much micro (maybe 12-15), A TON of reproductive (felt like 25% of the test). Cardio, GI, and endocrine were scattered throughout. Had like 2 biostats questions, so they were low yield like people said. Overall, I thought the test was pretty tough. All of the question stems were very vague, and I felt as if I had to guess on half the exam. Time was definitely a factor for me because some OMM questions required me to think in a very unnatural and time consuming way. The other half of the test has very simple questions that leave you feeling as if they are trying to trick you (they aren't).

What took (required by the school) was the following:
Comsae E: 485 (in may)
Comsae D: 598 (in june)
NBME 15: 230 (late june)
Uworld: 72% 1st pass (finished in july)
Combank: 56% (mainly because we were required to do a thousand from the school during the year, and I just picked C for everything). Then when I took it seriously to prep for comlex, I raised it from 30% --> 56%
Comlex 1: I hope I passed

Took it the same day as you, my exam had a different breakdown than yours so its probably different. Thought it was hard

Last edited:
Took it Monday, felt like the test was 2/3 micro and pharm, half the remaining was OMT, mostly viscerosomatics. The rest was a mix of everything else. Question stems were ridiculous compared to Step 1.

In difficulty they ranged from "This doesn't belong on a medical licensing exam" easy to "What answer did we have in mind when we wrote this question" vague. There was even one where the labs and clinical scenario couldn't have existed at the same time.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who got scores back today, how did your score compare to your comsaes?

Comlex 590-600!
Uworld 1 229-233 4 weeks out
Uworld 2 232-236 2.5 weeks out
Comsae B 610-620 about 10 days out
Comsae C 580-590 about 3 days out
To all still waiting for your scores it'll be ok! I was way too nervous for too long but the metrics seemed to be about right even though the actual exam felt much more difficult than the practice tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Between 620-630!! What a ride

My comsae d was 570 1 month before
Nbme 15 209 - 3 weeks before
Nbme 15 209 - 2.5 weeks before
Uwsa 1 - 230 3 days before

Last edited: