Official 2018-2019 Infectious Disease Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
7/16: Northwestern, Beaumont Hospital, UVA, U Mass
7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS, U of Wisconsin-Madison, U Conn
7/18: UIC, Loyola, U of Iowa, USC, MUSC
7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina, Stony Brook, UCLA, Westchester Med Ctr
7/20: Montefiore Hospital and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Vanderbilt, University Cincinnati, Rutgers New Jersey, University of Iowa
7/21: Mayo Rochester
7/22: MedStar Georgetown, UCSF Fresno
7/23: Montefiore, Loyola
7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest, Allegheny Health Network ID/CCM, East Carolina University, MGH/BWH
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC-Memphis, NIH
7/26: UT-Houston, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH, UT Southwestern, U of Alabama-Birmingham, Henry Ford
7/27: Baylor, BIDMC, UT-Houston
7/30: University of Maryland, Mount Sinai, Johns Hopkins, UVA (?second round)
7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, LSU, Texas Tech, Mayo- Rochester, University of Arizona
8/1: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NYU Winthrop, University of Michigan, OHSU, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore, UT Southwest, Stanford

Rejections:
7/25: MGH, UCSD

Members don't see this ad.

7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS, U of Wisconsin-Madison, U Conn
7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina, Stony Brook, UCLA, Westchester Med Ctr
7/20: Montefiore Hospital and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Vanderbilt, University Cincinnati, Rutgers New Jersey, University of Iowa
7/21: Mayo - Rochester
7/22: MedStar Georgetown, UCSF Fresno
7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest, Allegheny Health Network ID/CCM, East Carolina University, MGH/BWH
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC - Memphis, NIH
7/26: UT-Houston, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH, UT Southwestern, U of Alabama - Birmingham, Henry Ford
7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, LSU, Texas Tech, Mayo - Rochester, University of Arizona
8/1: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NYU Winthrop, University of Michigan, OHSU, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore, UT-Southwestern, Stanford
8/2: UT-Southwestern

Rejections:

Members don't see this ad :)
To all of us who are freaking out about not hearing from places already on this list (including myself): don't lose hope. I just realized that I got 2 interviews from places other people had already heard from, but on different days, both about a week apart (I italicized them)...

7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS, U of Wisconsin-Madison, U Conn, NIH
7/22: MedStar Georgetown, UCSF Fresno, Tufts
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC - Memphis, NIH, Stanford
7/26: UT-Houston, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH, UT Southwestern, U of Alabama - Birmingham, Henry Ford
7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, LSU, Texas Tech, Mayo - Rochester, University of Arizona, Johns Hopkins
8/1: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NYU Winthrop, University of Michigan, OHSU, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore, UT-Southwestern, Stanford
8/2: UT-Southwestern, Brown

Rejections:

7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS, U of Wisconsin-Madison, U Conn, NIH
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC - Memphis, NIH, Stanford
7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, LSU, Texas Tech, Mayo - Rochester, University of Arizona, Johns Hopkins
8/2: UT-Southwestern, Brown, U Miami-JMH

Rejections:

Hi all, I am couple's matching and as such will rank more programs to ensure that we both match. I would like to ask help from everyone and some of you may have input in terms of the quality of the different programs as I plan on canceling some of them due to both financial and time constraints.

I have received offers from the following programs and if you were to rank them, how would you go about doing it? (To help me decide which programs to cancel)

Mayo Rochester, Stanford, Washington University, UT Southwestern, Brown University, OHSU, Mt. Sinai/Icahn, Mt. Sinai/St. Luke's, Montefiore, University of Florida, University of Arizona, Drexel, Rutgers, UIC, University of Utah, Loyola University, Mayo Arizona, Mayo Florida, UCSF Fresno, Texas Tech, UTMB, Temple, LSU

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

8/3:University of Florida
8/6:
8/7:

Rejections:

Hi all, I am couple's matching and as such will rank more programs to ensure that we both match. I would like to ask help from everyone and some of you may have input in terms of the quality of the different programs as I plan on canceling some of them due to both financial and time constraints.

I have received offers from the following programs and if you were to rank them, how would you go about doing it? (To help me decide which programs to cancel)

Mayo Rochester, Stanford, Washington University, UT Southwestern, Brown University, OHSU, Mt. Sinai/Icahn, Mt. Sinai/St. Luke's, Montefiore, University of Florida, University of Arizona, Drexel, Rutgers, UIC, University of Utah, Loyola University, Mayo Arizona, Mayo Florida, UCSF Fresno, Texas Tech, UTMB, Temple, LSU

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It looks like you have a mix of clinical and research oriented programs- If you want to cut your list, I'd start there- figure out if you want to be at a more clinical or research oriented program. If you're interested in research, find out which programs have faculty doing research in what you're interested in and who could be potential mentors. If its clinical, investigate which programs have focuses on specifically what you're interested in. Other things I looked into was location, size of program, where the alumni are, are they hiring from within, how many hospitals in the system and how far apart they are

8/2: UT-Southwestern, Brown, U Miami-JMH, Allegheny
8/3:University of Florida , Cornell
8/6:
8/7:

Rejections:

And again, does anyone know anything about the Dartmouth program in terms of clinical and research opportunities

It looks like you have a mix of clinical and research oriented programs- If you want to cut your list, I'd start there- figure out if you want to be at a more clinical or research oriented program. If you're interested in research, find out which programs have faculty doing research in what you're interested in and who could be potential mentors. If its clinical, investigate which programs have focuses on specifically what you're interested in. Other things I looked into was location, size of program, where the alumni are, are they hiring from within, how many hospitals in the system and how far apart they are

How are you able to best discern what programs are research oriented and what are clinical oriented, beyond perusing their site. Are you looking at faculty and fellow publications?

How are you able to best discern what programs are research oriented and what are clinical oriented, beyond perusing their site. Are you looking at faculty and fellow publications?

I use the IDSA programs by state guide to discern which are 3 year vs 2 year programs. For example, my understanding is that programs like Mayo and John Hopkins are mandatory 3 year because you have more research months. Many programs fall in between and will offer the possibility of a third year. Programs that are 3 years are research heavy for sure. For the others, I tried to look at their websites and the institution overall. My goal was to apply to more clinical based programs.

Are any of you applying to ID/Critical Care combined or planning to do a critical care year? If planning to do a critical care year after ID, are you telling your programs up front?

I agree with above and noting if the program is 3 years vs 2 years. You can also look at their schedule- certain programs will only have you see 30 new consults a month vs 100-150. Other programs have a special research track or clinical track. I looked to see where their graduates are, how many K awardees they have. And then just talked to multiple attendings at my home institution about what they knew about specific programs- where they trained and what other programs they had heard positive things about- good clinical and research oriented programs. I'm applying to more clinical oriented programs as well.

Hello everyone,
I have a question. If you have to choose one between George Washington, George town and the University of Colorado, which one would you choose and why?
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of you applying to ID/Critical Care combined or planning to do a critical care year? If planning to do a critical care year after ID, are you telling your programs up front?

Howdy! I have been pretty upfront about my interest in ID/CC, placed in in my personal statement and also will be mentioning it during interviews. As long as you still show interest in the specialized fields of ID I don't see why there would be a problem.

8/6: MSK
Rejections:

8/2: UT-Southwestern, Brown, U Miami-JMH, University of Florida- Gainesville
8/6: MSK, Wright State
8/7: Ohio State University

Rejections:

New7/16: Northwestern, Beaumont Hospital, UVA, U Mass
8/6: MSK, Wright State , USC
8/7: Ohio State University , UCSD

Rejections:

8/7: Ohio State University , UCSD, UC Irvine

Rejections:

8/7: Ohio State University , UCSD, UC Irvine, UC Davis

Rejections:

8/7: Ohio State University , UCSD, UC Irvine, UC Davis, Penn State- Hershey
8/8: CWRU

Rejections:

New7/16: Northwestern, Beaumont Hospital, UVA, U Mass
8/8: CWRU, USF tampa

Rejections:

8/9: UPenn

Rejections:

8/13: VCU

Rejections:

8/13: VCU
8/14: Univ of Rochester

Rejections:

8/13: VCU, Baylor, Georgetown University.
8/14: Univ of Rochester

Rejections:
7/25: MGH, UCSD, NIH

Anyone Interviewed at Georgetown uni Hospital program?, any Idea how the program looks like from the inside?

8/14: Univ of Rochester, NYU

Rejections:
7/25: MGH, UCSD, NIH

Rejections:
7/25: MGH, UCSD, NIH, BIDMC

It seems like things are slowing down at bit!

Does anyone out there happen to know if and when UCSF and U of Colorado might have sent out interviews?

I was about to say the same thing. Has anyone heard from Yale or BU?

8/15: UPMC

Rejections:

No word yet on BU and Yale

8/15: UPMC
8/16: CCF

Rejections:

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from Emory or University of Washington?

It seems like things are slowing down at bit!

Does anyone out there happen to know if and when UCSF and U of Colorado might have sent out interviews?

Yes! I heard from UCSF in July.

Can someone update when they sent out invites if they have already? This is in regards to Cornell, Columbia and UW. Thanks

I had a great time interviewing at the University of Iowa this past Friday, I was very impressed by the hospital and the program (feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the interview day)

Also, last week I was given an interview invite at the Cleveland Clinic! I am very excited about this upcoming interview! I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the ID program or if anyone knows any current fellows and what their experience has been thus far.

Hope everyone is enjoying the process!

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed, the program at the University of Iowa was very impressive, great faculty, excellent research potential and outstanding structure.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. I was surprised with the number of interviews I got, and now is hard to decide how many interviews I should attend.
1. Anybody knows the number of programs you should attend more or less?.
2. What do you thing about any of these programs: UT southwestern vs. Vanderbilt vs. Tulane, vs. Univ. Alabama vs. UPMC

Thanks for answering.

Hello. I was surprised with the number of interviews I got, and now is hard to decide how many interviews I should attend.
1. Anybody knows the number of programs you should attend more or less?.
2. What do you thing about any of these programs: UT southwestern vs. Vanderbilt vs. Tulane, vs. Univ. Alabama vs. UPMC

Thanks for answering.

Vanderbilt and UAB are great.

In a similar boat with moving things around. Anyone able to compare Temple vs UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.