Official 2018-2019 Infectious Disease Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted935581

Post here for everything ID fellowship related.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I will be applying this year! I was wondering how many letters of recommendation people are going to sending? It seems the vast majority of programs seem to want 3 (1 PD letter plus 2 additional letters), I've seen a few programs that say 3-4. However, there are some programs that don't list anywhere the number of letters they require? Should I just start emailing individual coordinators?

Thanks!

Hello! I will be applying this year! I was wondering how many letters of recommendation people are going to sending? It seems the vast majority of programs seem to want 3 (1 PD letter plus 2 additional letters), I've seen a few programs that say 3-4. However, there are some programs that don't list anywhere the number of letters they require? Should I just start emailing individual coordinators?

Thanks!

Personally, it will be easy and less time consuming to send four letters. Being said that, sending only three letters will work too! Applicants are in high demand for ID fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, it will be easy and less time consuming to send four letters. Being said that, sending only three letters will work too! Applicants are in high demand for ID fellowship.

Haha thanks! I was going to just go ahead with 3 letters but I ended up securing a fourth. As a US graduate from an academic residency currently working as a hospitalist I'm excited about my chances and the whole process in general (Have some money saved up and am working a 7 on 7 off schedule so I'll be treating the interview trail like a tour of the US).

Best of Luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha thanks! I was going to just go ahead with 3 letters but I ended up securing a fourth. As a US graduate from an academic residency currently working as a hospitalist I'm excited about my chances and the whole process in general (Have some money saved up and am working a 7 on 7 off schedule so I'll be treating the interview trail like a tour of the US).

Best of Luck to everyone!
Great to hear that!.

I'm planning to do the same, tour the country with the interviews, but in Endo, will see:)

Hi everyone , I am one of the ID fellowship applicants (IMG) this year , hope the application process is coming along well, how many programs are you all applying to? spcly IMGs , if any one is part of this forum .

Hey everyone. AMG here, I sent 3 letter of recs- PD, dept chair, and 1 additional ID faculty letter. Applying to 30 programs mostly in the midwest and east coast.

Submitted this week, US MD in a Texas residency and am applying to 10 programs (5 in-state and 5 "shoot for the moon" programs out of state). Only decided on ID a few months ago, lots of research and good board scores but only a poster presentation specific to ID. I've got three letters (IMED program director, ID division director and another ID faculty) with one just uploaded and still pending in ERAS.

Good luck to everyone!

Submitted this week, US MD in a Texas residency and am applying to 10 programs (5 in-state and 5 "shoot for the moon" programs out of state). Only decided on ID a few months ago, lots of research and good board scores but only a poster presentation specific to ID. I've got three letters (IMED program director, ID division director and another ID faculty) with one just uploaded and still pending in ERAS.

Good luck to everyone!

Is it better to wait for all your letters to be submitted to apply to programs?. I still have 2 pending and only 1 uploaded and suspect i'm still looking at another 1-2 weeks until they are uploaded. Do I just apply now or wait?

Is it better to wait for all your letters to be submitted to apply to programs?. I still have 2 pending and only 1 uploaded and suspect i'm still looking at another 1-2 weeks until they are uploaded. Do I just apply now or wait?

I would absolutely go ahead and submit. Most programs in most specialties will review your application and even grant interviews prior to all letters being received. Additionally, some programs (generally in more competitive fellowships) have a date sometime after applications can first be received that they upload all the applications and then never go back and upload more received after that date. They will obviously accept additional documents from applications already received, but if you don't get anything into them by a certain date you may never be reviewed at all.

There is no downside to submitting early unless you are waiting a few days to see if something you submitted is accepted for presentation or publication.

Lets get things started (Make sure you carry forward list each time):

7/16 Northwestern

Good Luck Everyone!

Received an invite from Northwestern as well today. I'm excited as I've never visited Chicago before:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you both for the invite from Northwestern , got an invite from Beaumont hospital 7/16.

IMG. Applied to 31 programs.
good luck everyone!

7/16: Northwestern, Beaumont Hospital.
7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel

Last edited:
Received an invite from Northwestern as well today. I'm excited as I've never visited Chicago before:clap:

Same, I'm very excited to interview there. One of the ID faculty at my program trained there and had nothing but good things to say. I replied to their email and received one back instantly, but received no information on where they recommend overnight accommodations? Did you get any more information than me?

7/16: Northwestern, Beaumont Hospital.
7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS

7/16: Northwestern, Beaumont Hospital, UVA

7/18: UIC

IMG, applied to 33 programs but it's probably overkill.

7/16-UVA
7/17- U of Wisconsin , Madison

Ideally, it is most helpful if everyone copies it forward and lists the interviews they received with the date> this way it can help everyone who applied at those places know when interviews were sent out. If rejections are sent out, the date of those would probably also be helpful to list. I'll consolidate it so far.

7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS, U of Wisconsin-Madison
7/18: UIC, Loyola
7/19:
7/20:

Rejections:

Last edited:
7/18: UIC, Loyola, U of Iowa
7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina
7/20:

Rejections:

7/18: UIC, Loyola, U of Iowa
7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina, Stony Brook
7/20:

Rejections:

IMG here. I applied to 46 programs. Probably too many, but I don't have any geographical constraints, so why not.
Good luck everyone!

7/16:
U Mass
7/17: U Conn
7/18: UIC, USC, MUSC

7/16: Northwestern, Beaumont Hospital, UVA, U Mass
7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS, U of Wisconsin-Madison, U Conn
7/18: UIC, Loyola, U of Iowa, USC, MUSC
7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina, Stony Brook, UCLA
7/20: Montefiore Hospital and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Vanderbilt

7/24:
Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital

7/17: University of Cincinnati, Drexel, Rutgers-NJMS, U of Wisconsin-Madison, U Conn
7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina, Stony Brook, UCLA
7/20: Montefiore Hospital and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Vanderbilt
7/24:
Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest

7/24:
Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA

Rejections:
7/25: Mass Gen/Brigham and Women's

7/23: Montefiore
7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA

Rejections:
7/25: MGH

Think there's any utility reaching out to programs in the general geographic area you want to match in? Too early? Anyone have any luck with this before?

7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa

Rejections:

First interview invite today, I'm excited to start the interview trail!

7/26: UT-Houston

Rejections:

7/26: UT-Houston, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH, UT Southwestern

Rejections:

7/26: UT-Houston, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH, UT Southwestern, U of Alabama-Birmingham

Rejections:

7/19: Palmetto Hlth/Univ South, Westchester Med Ctr, Stony Brook
7/20: Univ Cincinnati, Rutgers New Jersey, University of Iowa
7/22: MedStar Georgetown, UCSF Fresno’s
7/23: Loyola,
7/24: Allegheny Health Network ID/CCM, East Carolina University
7/25: University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC-Memphis

7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina, Stony Brook, UCLA, Westchester Med Ctr
7/20: Montefiore Hospital and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Vanderbilt, University Cincinnati, Rutgers New Jersey, University of Iowa
7/21: Mayo Rochester
7/22: MedStar Georgetown, UCSF Fresno
7/23: Montefiore, Loyola
7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest, Allegheny Health Network ID/CCM, East Carolina University
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC-Memphis
7/26: UT-Houston, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH, UT Southwestern, U of Alabama-Birmingham, Henry Ford
7/27: Baylor

Rejections:

7/19: St. Louis University, Medical University of South Carolina, Stony Brook, UCLA, Westchester Med Ctr
7/20: Montefiore Hospital and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Vanderbilt, University Cincinnati, Rutgers New Jersey, University of Iowa
7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest, Allegheny Health Network ID/CCM, East Carolina University
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC-Memphis
7/26: UT-Houston, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH, UT Southwestern, U of Alabama-Birmingham, Henry Ford
7/27: Baylor, BIDMC, UT-Houston

Rejections:

7/30: U Maryland

Rejections:

7/30: U Maryland, Mount Sinai

Rejections:

7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest, Allegheny Health Network ID/CCM, East Carolina University, MGH/BWH
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC-Memphis, NIH
7/30: University of Maryland, Mount Sinai, Johns Hopkins

Rejections:

--
Added MGH/BWH, Johns Hopkins, NIH

If the invites are sent out, and one didn't get it on that date, does that mean that he's rejected? Is there another round of invites?

Planning ahead. This makes me so anxious.

If the invites are sent out, and one didn't get it on that date, does that mean that he's rejected? Is there another round of invites?

Completely understand your anxiety! Waiting to see if some of the programs listed will miraculously send an invite to me.

Also:
7/24: Tulane, University of Maryland, George Washington University, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Wake Forest, Allegheny Health Network ID/CCM, East Carolina University, MGH/BWH
7/25: Mayo - Rochester, UTSA, U of Iowa, University of Utah, Howard University, UTHSC-Memphis, NIH
7/30: University of Maryland, Mount Sinai, Johns Hopkins
7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel

Rejections:

I think some places do send second round interviews.

7/30: University of Maryland, Mount Sinai, Johns Hopkins, UVA (?second round)
7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel

Rejections:

7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, LSU

Rejections:

7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, LSU, Texas Tech, Mayo- Rochester, University of Arizona

Rejections:

7/31: Temple, Northshore LIJ, Luke Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, LSU, Texas Tech, Mayo- Rochester, University of Arizona
8/1: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NYU Winthrop

Rejections:

Last edited:
8/1: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NYU Winthrop, University of Michigan

Rejections:

8/1: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NYU Winthrop, University of Michigan, OHSU, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore

Rejections:

8/1: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NYU Winthrop, University of Michigan, OHSU, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore, UT Southwest

Rejections:

Status
Not open for further replies.