Infectious Disease NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marquette8881

Reaction score
Hi------

I am interested in pursuing a job in infectious disease either in NYC or Long Island. Was wondering if anyone had any idea what salaries look like? Pretty flexible with the type of job specifically. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It can go anywhere from 250 to 300k. It's not the flexibility but the patient load you have to think about. You'll want to know the staffing at the hospital - Attendings, Fellows and Residents involved with patient care. Also, you'll wanna have a specific focus to bring to the table; infection control, antimicrobial stewardship, hiv/aids, sti, floors/teaching, etc.

It can go anywhere from 250 to 300k. It's not the flexibility but the patient load you have to think about. You'll want to know the staffing at the hospital - Attendings, Fellows and Residents involved with patient care. Also, you'll wanna have a specific focus to bring to the table; infection control, antimicrobial stewardship, hiv/aids, sti, floors/teaching, etc.
Oh wow is it really that high? For some reason I thought it would be lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems wildly high for NYC salaries. Heck, even hospitalists don't make this as base pay.

This seems wildly high for NYC salaries. Heck, even hospitalists don't make this as base pay.
Like I said, it depends. Your involvement in the hospital, the patient load and how they pay you. Hell, as a ridiculous outlier, ID attending at my hospital for residency makes >500k/year. Maybe the low end was too high I think I meant 200k.

Like I said, it depends. Your involvement in the hospital, the patient load and how they pay you. Hell, as a ridiculous outlier, ID attending at my hospital for residency makes >500k/year. Maybe the low end was too high I think I meant 200k.

That is totally incorrect. Some non-academic places may pay higher, but I know for a fact that starting salary at one of the top academic institutions is $150K.

Reactions: 1 user
That is totally incorrect. Some non-academic places may pay higher, but I know for a fact that starting salary at one of the top academic institutions is $150K.

Really? You know the Attending I'm talking about? :rolleyes:

Also, you'd be an idiot to take a pay for 150k in NYC. Like, that's insultingly low. You're making as much as a PA and doing more.

In interviewed in Denver and they said my starting pay would be 180k. F.uck off. With that cost of living?

interesting read. I shall be following these comments.

My main point now is - there is a HUGE demand for ID doctors and ID Attendings do a lot more than just do consults. With that being said; I wouldn't take a salary lower than 250k. Especially in NYC. You do Consults, Infection Control, Antimicrobial stewardship? Also, more insulting, is you do derm consults for rashes because idiot primary teams don't know how to diagnose rashes.
Seriously - if you're just graduating - gtfo of NYC so you can have a good lifestyle and pay off your loans.

Also, you'd be an idiot to take a pay for 150k in NYC. Like, that's insultingly low. You're making as much as a PA and doing more.

In interviewed in Denver and they said my starting pay would be 180k. F.uck off. With that cost of living?

Agreed, senior fellows got offers for 285 in Large Midwest city not chicago in a PP model. Academics/VA with a better schedule is ~220-250 depending on what you wind up covering