Official 2018-2019 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question: Is it normal to get no response after emailing a program about ranking them number 1? I am feeling like it may be a bad sign. I appreciate your inputs. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Question: Is it normal to get no response after emailing a program about ranking them number 1? I am feeling like it may be a bad sign. I appreciate your inputs. Thanks

I don't necessarily think its a bad sign. I wouldn't think too much into it. I emailed all my interviewers and PD at my number 1 and only received generic responses back from 2. One told me they would convey my message to the PD. I'm not really worrying about it.

Means absolutely nothing. And honestly I'm not sure what kind of response you'd expect, an awkward "ok, thanks"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on the current rank list order? Interested in heart failure (vs. potentially interventional) and becoming clinically strong

1. RWJ
2. UMass
3. Penn State
4. Buffalo
5. Beaumont
6. Virginia Tech
7. Allegheny

This is a reasonable ranking although personally would put VT last due to location (and Allegheny is a very clinically strong program).

Personally location is a big deal. I would not want to live in Buffalo, Delaware or Hawaii if I didn’t have to. Philadelphia has its draw backs, but is a decent size city with reasonable cost of living. As you can imagine there are a lot of competition with nearby hospitals which can affect your volume. The same goes for NYC programs. IMO, as long as you go to a training program with decent volume you’ll get the training you need to be successful.

I think people tend to choose programs that have advance heart failure/transplant and/or valvular centers of excellence because they tend to be at places that have a large referral base, and as fellows means more volume/exposure.

I generally agree that having strong transplant or advanced heart failure exposes you to sicker patients and such. I have no desire to do it for a career (ever) but I do think it helped make me a better doctor.

Much thanks IMreshopeful and Imdur !

I imagine none of those programs (Buffalo, Christiana, Northshore, Hawaii, Drexel) are any comparison to USF and VCU?

Last edited:
Long time follower. First time poster. Would really appreciate any help.

I need help ranking the following. Inclined towards IC but open. More clinically oriented than research.

>>Henry Ford Hospital
>>Mid America Heart Institute/University of Missouri Kansas City
>>University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
>>Baylor College of Medicine
>>Case Western Reserve University

Please and thank you!

Can somebody shed some light on the following programs please?

Kentucky vs USF vs Temple

Primary interest is interventional and structural. Location matters too.

My impression is that Kentucky is probably the strongest in interventional and structural. But Lexington is not as appealing. USF has lower cath volume but they do have in house IC. Temple has strong HF, not sure about IC.

Any comments are welcome. I’m really having a hard time deciding between these programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am debating between:
1) Yale: Strong in research. Academic environment. Really liked the PD. Decent in clinical exposure.
2) Cleveland Clinic: It seems like no other program can match clinical exposure. Strong in every specialty. Very busy program.
3) Mayo: Mix between 1 and 2.
Interested in general cardiology vs imaging. I haven't decided what time of practice but want to keep doors open for academia. Location not a big issue. Any recommendations or thoughts? Thanks!

Could mean one of two things....
Either the PD has a policy that he/she does not solicit or reply to expression of interest.. or you are not in their top choices. Or could be they have not finalized their rank list.​

I am debating between:
1) Yale: Strong in research. Academic environment. Really liked the PD. Decent in clinical exposure.
2) Cleveland Clinic: It seems like no other program can match clinical exposure. Strong in every specialty. Very busy program.
Interested in general cardiology vs imaging. I haven't decided what time of practice but want to keep doors open for academia. Location not a big issue. Any recommendations or thoughts? Thanks!

1. Cleveland Clinic is the best if you want private practice or academic and want both doors open. It is also the best if you're wanting to pursue general cardiology or imaging.
2. Mayo is the best if you want strictly academic. It is also not the best choice if you want to pursue general cardiology. The program and the fellows were very verbal about Mayo not being the place if you want to do general cardiology. The last year is strictly research so if you want to do general cardiology after 3 years you might not meet all the COCATS requirements out there for some of the general jobs.
3. I didn't interview at Yale so I can't comment on Yale but vibing with the PD is a big deal so if you felt that you really liked the PD then reach out to the program and fellows. Maybe they could give you more reasons to why you should rank Yale #1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am debating between:

Go with your gut, your interests are kinda up in the air and hard to gauge, and the programs all have different flavors. I interviewed at all 3. Yale leaned academic, didn't get a good feel of clinical exposure and personally didn't like the vibe (obviously you did). CCF, leans clinical, academics probably do-able afterwards, but not as strong in this as the other 2 programs, have heard from fellows there that they get worked hard particularly on ccu/consult months. Mayo, leaned academic as well, I remember autonomy seem to be weaker and they focused on training fellows in one particular specialty, known for echo of course. Mayo and CCF have a certain vibe/culture that felt similar, and wasn't for me, others may know what I'm talking about.

Much thanks IMreshopeful and Imdur !

I imagine none of those programs (Buffalo, Christiana, Northshore, Hawaii, Drexel) are any comparison to USF and VCU?

USF in Tampa is probably not as good as VCU imo. Northshore probably better.
Ranking as noted: VCU, Northshore; then Buffalo, Christiana, USF; then Drexel, Hawaii

Please i really need help with the rol

Umass
Univ iowa
Univ cincinnati
U vermont
Usf
UTMB
Lahey
Baystate
Univ nebraska
Univ arizona
Creighton
Christiana

Thanks

First, I wanna wish all of us best of luck on Nov 28th :xf:

My rank list is as below so far (changes hourly lol) and I appreciate any comment or info. The plan is a non-invasive card (HF vs Imaging vs General)

1. Washington Hospital Center
2. University of FL Jax
3. Allegheny
4. Cleveland Clinic Florida
5. NorthShore University Evanston-IL
6. Baystate
7. Newark Beth Isreal NJ
8. St Elizabeth's
9. Uni Nevada LV

Last edited:

My rank list is as below so far (changes hourly lol) and I appreciate any comment or info. The plan is a non-invasive card (HF vs Imaging vs General)

2. University of FL Jax
3. Allegheny
6. Baystate
7. Newark Beth Isreal NJ
8. St Elizabeth's
9. Uni Nevada LV

Washington hospital center is definitely the strongest in your list. They have a very strong heart failure and imaging program. It is a work horse program but you’ll come out as a competent cardiologist no matter what you practice. I don’t really know much about the rest. I only interviewed at WHC out of your list.

Really need help with the rank order. Please see below. Especially Iowa, Morristown, Mayo jacksonville, U Arizona Tucson. General/heart failure/imaging. Likely academia. Thanks very much!

Mayo Rochester
Vanderbilt
Tufts
Emory
University of Maryland
U Iowa
Morristown
Mayo Jacksonville
Tucson
U Washington Seattle
Cooper
Mount Sinai st Luke
U illinois Chicago

Hi, Quick Question about UVA vs MUSC, considering interest in interventional cardiology.
MUSC seems like on an upswing with all the recruitment from Hopkins, but not sure if it is as academic as UVA. UVA on the other hand, have some doubts about the volumes there.

Thanks

Hi, Quick Question about UVA vs MUSC, considering interest in interventional cardiology.
MUSC seems like on an upswing with all the recruitment from Hopkins, but not sure if it is as academic as UVA. UVA on the other hand, have some doubts about the volumes there.

Thanks

Both are fine but volumes at MUSC are higher from what I’m told. UVA has lower volumes but much more research (mostly imaging).

You can go to as “academic” a place as you want but if your goal is being a good cath guy then you need volume and experience. Some of the super “academic” centers are rather weak in volume (BWH for example).

Really need help with the rank order. Please see below. Especially Iowa, Morristown, Mayo jacksonville, U Arizona Tucson. General/heart failure/imaging. Likely academia. Thanks very much!

Mayo Rochester
Vanderbilt
Tufts
Emory
University of Maryland
U Iowa
Morristown
Mayo Jacksonville
Tucson
U Washington Seattle
Cooper
Mount Sinai st Luke
U illinois Chicago

My tentative ranking

Vandy, Emory, UWash - all very strong clinically and academically
Mayo Rochester a bit of a tossup - if you ever have an inkling of doing private practice this is not the place to go
Maryland, Iowa - very strong clinically
UA Tucson, Tufts, Mt. Sinai St Luke,
UIC
Cooper, Morristown, Mayo Jax

If location matters this list could look different

2. University of FL Jax
3. Allegheny
6. Baystate
7. Newark Beth Isreal NJ
8. St Elizabeth's
9. Uni Nevada LV

UF Jax is terrible and should be at the bottom of the list
Hospital center for sure at the to
Rest of the list looks okay

Both are fine but volumes at MUSC are higher from what I’m told. UVA has lower volumes but much more research (mostly imaging).

You can go to as “academic” a place as you want but if your goal is being a good cath guy then you need volume and experience. Some of the super “academic” centers are rather weak in volume (BWH for example).

Thanks a lot, that helps.

Good luck to everyone for match day!

Any thoughts on these programs? Having trouble finalizing my list.

Maryland
Umass
Drexel
UT Houston
UC Irvine
University of Illinois - Chicago

Hey guys need help with ranking
1. University of Rochester
2. Henry Ford
3. Loyoala university
4. University of South Florida
5. Tulane University
6. Detroit medical center/Wayne state
7. University of Vermont
8. University of Connecticut

Mayo Rochester
Vanderbilt
Tufts
Emory
University of Maryland
U Iowa
Morristown
Mayo Jacksonville
Tucson
U Washington Seattle
Cooper
Mount Sinai st Luke
U illinois Chicago
For general cardiology/imaging/HF Mayo Roch is probably the strongest. Their academic reputation is too strong and their fellows get a lot of research done. Its not a very hands-on place and will appear a bit strange if you are used to traditional academic medical centers. For cognitive aspects of cardiology, they are hyper-developed. To be a general cardiologist you dont that many need procedural skills. I think Mayo only trains a certain number of fellows in TEE.
Vanderbilt is super-strong at the moment and is the second/third largest Heart transplant program. Imaging is okay. nothing to write about.
Emory's echo lab is a toss-up at the moment. But shd provide good training with its varied campuses. They have traditionally been a cath-heavy place. Have lost a lot of the senior clinicians over the years.
Uwash has traditionally had a strong echo lab. But I dont think Otto is very active. Their ACHD and structural programs are strong.
For imaging dont ignore Morristown with Linda Gillam et al.
Iowa is a good program- volume in certain areas may be an issue.

Hey guys need help with ranking
1. University of Rochester
2. Henry Ford
3. Loyoala university
4. University of South Florida
5. Tulane University
6. Detroit medical center/Wayne state
7. University of Vermont
8. University of Connecticut

This also looks reasonable though would consider moving Vermont higher up

For general cardiology/imaging/HF Mayo Roch is probably the strongest. Their academic reputation is too strong and their fellows get a lot of research done. Its not a very hands-on place and will appear a bit strange if you are used to traditional academic medical centers. For cognitive aspects of cardiology, they are hyper-developed. To be a general cardiologist you dont that many need procedural skills. I think Mayo only trains a certain number of fellows in TEE.
Vanderbilt is super-strong at the moment and is the second/third largest Heart transplant program. Imaging is okay. nothing to write about.
Emory's echo lab is a toss-up at the moment. But shd provide good training with its varied campuses. They have traditionally been a cath-heavy place. Have lost a lot of the senior clinicians over the years.
Uwash has traditionally had a strong echo lab. But I dont think Otto is very active. Their ACHD and structural programs are strong.
For imaging dont ignore Morristown with Linda Gillam et al.
Iowa is a good program- volume in certain areas may be an issue.

Thanks so much !

My tentative ranking

Vandy, Emory, UWash - all very strong clinically and academically
Mayo Rochester a bit of a tossup - if you ever have an inkling of doing private practice this is not the place to go
Maryland, Iowa - very strong clinically
UA Tucson, Tufts, Mt. Sinai St Luke,
UIC
Cooper, Morristown, Mayo Jax

If location matters this list could look different

Thanks so much!

Deadline day! Trying to see if anyone has any suggestions about the following list. Future interests (for now) involve imaging, gen cards, EP but might change. Location preference is NOT to be in the middle of a big city which is why jefferson and tufts are lower down. Thanks and good luck everyone!

1. Stonybrook
2. Buffalo
3. Maine
4. Vermont
5. Tufts
6. Jefferson
7. Penn State
8. Uconn

Deadline day! Trying to see if anyone has any suggestions about the following list. Future interests (for now) involve imaging, gen cards, EP but might change. Location preference is NOT to be in the middle of a big city which is why jefferson and tufts are lower down. Thanks and good luck everyone!

1. Stonybrook
2. Buffalo
3. Maine
4. Vermont
5. Tufts
6. Jefferson
7. Penn State
8. Uconn

Stonybrook is not as good as tufts or Jefferson

Guys, did anyone from any program contact you over phone? If yes, what did they say? for example: you are ranked to match, ranking highly, hope we work together soon etc.. Share your experiences please. All the best!

About half of the programs I interviewed at reached out with phone calls after the interview. Nobody said anything as direct as "ranked to match" but most of these programs said "you are ranked highly" or "hope to see you here next year" or similar things. How true anything is I don't really know. I've heard it's all BS hoping to influence lists and I have heard that it can make or break (some programs expect reciprocity) your chance of matching.

Personally, I was not a fan of the post-interview communications. Not to be a curmudgeon but if you're not calling to offer a position outside of the match (Cardiology does not participate in the "All In Policy") then why bother with the love letters and calls? If I'm that high on your list just give me an offer.

Anyway, it is all over now and I hope everyone here gets a great match in 2 weeks!

Wow, half the programs called? Between myself and co-residents, I think maybe one or two programs reached out. I wonder if this is a sign of things changing, and not for the better imo. Clearly if they aren't saying "ranked to match" then they're just trying to influence you. In recent years I have heard more and more stories of programs toeing the line and doing some things I don't agree with. As seemingly minor or subtle it is, I've come to respect those programs who don't play the game, it says something about who they are and what they're all about.

About half of the programs I interviewed at reached out with phone calls after the interview. Nobody said anything as direct as "ranked to match" but most of these programs said "you are ranked highly" or "hope to see you here next year" or similar things. How true anything is I don't really know. I've heard it's all BS hoping to influence lists and I have heard that it can make or break (some programs expect reciprocity) your chance of matching.

Personally, I was not a fan of the post-interview communications. Not to be a curmudgeon but if you're not calling to offer a position outside of the match (Cardiology does not participate in the "All In Policy") then why bother with the love letters and calls? If I'm that high on your list just give me an offer.

Anyway, it is all over now and I hope everyone here gets a great match in 2 weeks!

I agree. I got calls from a couple programs and it was fairly vague. I feel that you either shouldn’t communicate or be very transparent if you’re going to communicate. Hopefully it works out for everyone.

Wow, half the programs called? Between myself and co-residents, I think maybe one or two programs reached out. I wonder if this is a sign of things changing, and not for the better imo. Clearly if they aren't saying "ranked to match" then they're just trying to influence you. In recent years I have heard more and more stories of programs toeing the line and doing some things I don't agree with. As seemingly minor or subtle it is, I've come to respect those programs who don't play the game, it says something about who they are and what they're all about.

When I applied three years ago 5-6 programs called me. One was bold enough to call me the day before the rank list was due. Nobody was ever explicit in saying “you are ranked to match”. It’s all mind games and nonsense. Conversely, after the match I got an email survey from a place that told me I had been ranked to match and I heard nothing from them beforehand...

Point is don’t get influenced or swayed. It’s all BS n

Guys, did anyone from any program contact you over phone? If yes, what did they say? for example: you are ranked to match, ranking highly, hope we work together soon etc.. Share your experiences please. All the best!
I was contacted by 4/11 programs and told I was "ranked to match" and by 3 of the remaining programs with something more vague (eg. "hope to work together," "think you would be a great fit"). The communication is definitely awkward. Overall, it didn't sway my decision-making, but certainly adds some stress to the process.

fwiw, I don't think this is quite the norm. I got a few generic emails, no calls. My co-residents had similar experiences save for one program that sent out semi-personal handwritten notes (I did not interview at said program).

I think it's all smoke and mirrors. Rank according to how you liked the programs.

I was contacted by 4/11 programs and told I was "ranked to match" and by 3 of the remaining programs with something more vague (eg. "hope to work together," "think you would be a great fit"). The communication is definitely awkward. Overall, it didn't sway my decision-making, but certainly adds some stress to the process.

There should be no stress. Rank the programs how you like them and that’s it. There is no guarantee to whether or not these programs are being truthful or not. I know people who have been burned by this.

None of the 9 programs I interviewed at contacted me pre rank order list. The only communication I got were generic responses to my post-interview thank you emails.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

I have been thinking about plan B or even C in case I do not match (let's hope we all match but wouldn't hurt to be prepared).

I was wondering if you guys know of a list for Cardiology-Hospitalist and Non-ACGME fellowships?
If there is not such a list available, I thought we could make our own.

Last edited:

I have been thinking about plan B or even C in case I do not match (let's hope we all match but wouldn't hurt to be prepared).

I was wondering if you guys know of a list for Cardiology-Hospitalist and Non-ACGME fellowships?

NEOMED/Canton Aultman hospital has a cardiology-hospitalist program

Is there a scramble / SOAP process like residency? Never occurred to me to think about that lol