Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from LSU (NOLA) yet after emailing them interview preferences?

Nope, still haven't. Responded to their email right away

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it matter if I don't have an "anesthesia" rotation on my transcript? I did an anesthesia rotation under surgery and got a letter from the attending but on the transcript, it only says Surgery, not anesthesia. should I email programs about this and let them know?

Does it matter if I don't have an "anesthesia" rotation on my transcript? I did an anesthesia rotation under surgery and got a letter from the attending but on the transcript, it only says Surgery, not anesthesia. should I email programs about this and let them know?

Don’t think it matters, but explain the situation on the interview . I had a similar situation 2 weeks gen surg 2 weeks has , but it comes up as general surg on my transcript

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I can't imagine it matters. As long as you end up with at least one letter from an Anesthesiology attending... where, I imagine, they'll mention your time in the OR, making it clear to whoever read it that you did, in fact, have some sort of organized time (like an elective) dedicated to Anesthesiology.

sounds like UMass also sent out a few interviews....Waiting patiently for mine :(
Wanna party? Waiting on Texas Tech to notice me :(

EDIT: Just realized I hadn't assigned my photo or transcript to schools. Hopefully this doesn't affect me. PSA: MAKE SURE THIS IS DONE!!

EDIT: Just realized I hadn't assigned my photo or transcript to schools. Hopefully this doesn't affect me. PSA: MAKE SURE THIS IS DONE!!

I mean if you're ugly its probably a good thing

Reactions: 5 users
I mean if you're ugly its probably a good thing
10/10. Ranked in the upper quartile and honored with "Class of 2019 Best Looking Award" at my school's honor banquet. Guess I'm destined to North Dakota now.

Anyone else checking their email like 10 times an hour?? This is going to be a long few months

Reactions: 7 users
Check out the Google spreadsheet below for TY/Prelim IV's
docs*google*com/spreadsheets/d/1XjPvzQ029VrCQAkHvBjNY4yIqZcF6JGJERcjMNvlEvM/edit?usp=sharing

(^Change * to .)

Wait, by transcript you mean step score reports right? For my actual med school transcript it says no action required. Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, by transcript you mean step score reports right? For my actual med school transcript it says no action required. Am I missing something?
Usmle .. don’t fret bruh

IMG here, decided to share my anxiety instead of just lurking :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Does how early or late in the season you interview affect chances of getting in at all? Wondering for scheduling purposes

Does how early or late in the season you interview affect chances of getting in at all? Wondering for scheduling purposes

I scheduled a couple of backup programs as my first interviews, to get comfortable before showing up to places that were high on my list. A little experience being in that interview situation is helpful. Some people think that interviewing late can be nice since you will be fresh on the minds of the interviewer when they are making the official rank list. But to be honest, by the end of a months-long interview process, most of the applicants blur together and many people are ranked using some sort of a point system based on how they scored on interview day. Some people will stand out as being really awesome or terrible and those decisions are easy, most applicants fall somewhere in that middle ground.

St Luke's (now part of Mt Sinai) is no longer offering Anesthesiology training??? :-s

Not sure where you heard that, but it isn’t true.
I just looked at my ERAS "Programs Applied To" and the program is in red at the top with the line "The "Anesthesiology" training is no longer being offered by "Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program". (inactive as of 09/19/2018)".

St Luke's (now part of Mt Sinai) is no longer offering Anesthesiology training??? :-s
Where did you hear that? I was able to submit an application through ERAS and their website doesn’t mention anything.

Where did you hear that? I was able to submit an application through ERAS and their website doesn’t mention anything.
Check the ERAS :( ... Echoing @nm825 ... I submitted last week, and while checking today, noticed it (as you can see, it is news from today 9/19... so, seems to be pretty breaking news?) Have a look at your ERAS :-s

"The "Anesthesiology" training is no longer being offered by "Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program". (inactive as of 09/19/2018). "

Check the ERAS :( ... Echoing @nm825 ... I submitted last week, and while checking today, noticed it (as you can see, it is news from today 9/19... so, seems to be pretty breaking news?) Have a look at your ERAS :-s

"The "Anesthesiology" training is no longer being offered by "Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program". (inactive as of 09/19/2018). "
I want a refund. Only 10% joking here

I want a refund. Only 10% joking here
Ain't that the truth? How does a program just happen to stay available for us that submit on time (or early enough in the cycle), just to say five days later "Sorry guys, I'm actually unavailable, but thanks for sending some $ my way"

(Disclaimer: I get it. It's a miniscule amount of $. It's more of the sudden closing[?!] of the program ... maybe someone forgot to submit some paperwork on time, so they can't legally take on residents for the upcoming year...)

does anyone also have 0 interviews as of today? should i be worried?

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone also have 0 interviews as of today? should i be worried?
*raises hand* 0 interviews here as well (got one for a prelim-med at a community hospital in Staten Island today, but that's certainly far away from any sort of Anesthesia-like interview...)

Don't sweat it, friend

Ain't that the truth? How does a program just happen to stay available for us that submit on time (or early enough in the cycle), just to say five days later "Sorry guys, I'm actually unavailable, but thanks for sending some $ my way"

(Disclaimer: I get it. It's a miniscule amount of $. It's more of the sudden closing[?!] of the program ... maybe someone forgot to submit some paperwork on time, so they can't legally take on residents for the upcoming year...)

Check ERAS, if you look at "other programs offered" it looks like only their advanced program is not available? Categorical still seems up. Still meh, but better than the whole thing being gone

Check ERAS, if you look at "other programs offered" it looks like only their advanced program is not available? Categorical still seems up. Still meh, but better than the whole thing being gone

A lot of programs are moving to categorical spots. They likely did that . Not completely going down in spots

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've heard from multiple people that for every day you go without an interview invite, you are supposed to apply to 5 additional programs. Including weekends and holidays.

I've heard from multiple people that for every day you go without an interview invite, you are supposed to apply to 5 additional programs. Including weekends and holidays.
are you joking? or are you for real?

A lot of places won’t start sending interviews until the MSPE is released on October 1st. I know we’re all Type A but the time to panic is if it gets to be middle to late October and you have no interviews, not five days after ERAS has opened.

Anyone heard back from LSU yet after emailing preferences?

And I'm not able to edit the Google doc anymore, any particular reason why?

I looked at last year’s spreadsheet, most programs I applied to gave their first invites after MSPE’s went out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is this thalamus on the google doc? I’m hoping it’s not the only outlet for those programs sending interviews?

How many safety schools did you guys apply too? I am honestly so confused about what constitutes a safety school at this point. I've applied to every program in the northeast from virginia to new hampshire, hopefully that resulted in enough "safety" programs. anyone think there is any benefit to adding more safety schools? speaking from an average to slightly above average US MD perspective?

How many safety schools did you guys apply too? I am honestly so confused about what constitutes a safety school at this point. I've applied to every program in the northeast from virginia to new hampshire, hopefully that resulted in enough "safety" programs. anyone think there is any benefit to adding more safety schools? speaking from an average to slightly above average US MD perspective?
Do you think you (and, more generally, any of us) can count on our home program to bail us out should things start looking south come mid-late Oct?

Do you think you (and, more generally, any of us) can count on our home program to bail us out should things start looking south come mid-late Oct?
By that do you mean making phone calls for us, or extending us a residency spot at home?

if you have interviews already you are probably from a high powered school or have a rocking step 1. It takes time to get through applications and people are clinicians first. I remember one of my interviewers says she reads almost every application and it takes basically the whole season to get through all of them.

By that do you mean making phone calls for us, or extending us a residency spot at home?
The latter.

The former, I imagine, comes from individual attendings making calls.
The latter, I imagine, comes from both your relation to the department as a whole, and perhaps the school (e.g. the academic advising dean calling the anesthesia department, if you don't have an already-established working relations with them yourself [e.g. from doing a rotation with them]).

What is this thalamus on the google doc? I’m hoping it’s not the only outlet for those programs sending interviews?

Thalamus is an online calendar. They send you a link. You make an account in about 30 seconds with your aamc number and name and then it allows you to electronically sign up for an interview date via the calendar. The calendar shows you all available interview days and how many spots are left at each day. You can cancel and reschedule at any time from thalamus calendar. It was very easy.

Thalamus is an online calendar. They send you a link. You make an account in about 30 seconds with your aamc number and name and then it allows you to electronically sign up for an interview date via the calendar. The calendar shows you all available interview days and how many spots are left at each day. You can cancel and reschedule at any time from thalamus calendar. It was very easy.

A program scheduling interviews via thalamus will always send you an email first though, correct?