Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you guys make me nervous... I"m a DO that will be applying this Fall. 238 on STEP 1 and 652 on COMLEX. Do I need to do aways for all 6 months? How many applications should I send?
I’m a us md (well established school), 238 step 1, did 2 aways, no red flags .. didn’t match. Take that info and do with it as you please.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a us md (well established school), 238 step 1, did 2 aways, no red flags .. didn’t match. Take that info and do with it as you please.

hear me out:

DO 4th year
60k student loans as of end of MS3 (45k from Med school living expenses) (other 15k from undergrad - all subsidized so no interest has accrued on it)
I’ve been able to live off of an average 15k/year (I live in the midwest) through out Med school.
This year, I plan on taking the full ~35k in loans offered since I don’t know what to expect during interview season and moving expenses for residency.

Now, I need a new car for residency. Current one is dead. I paid cash for it so I have no experience with financing or leases. Even though residency apps and travel is expensive, I don’t anticipate spending 35k this year. I expect to have 10k left or so, in addition, I can still take out an additional 10k for this school year. Essentially I can have up to 45k during MS4 year.

The question is should I use the excess ~20k on the purchase of my car? Rather than taking out another loan with a bank or car company? Yes my loans will have an average of 6% but I am refinancing my loans next year with hopefully an interest of ~3%. Credit score is 775. No credit card. No other loans, debts etc. Single, no kids.

I would be graduating with ~100k in debt which I plan on starting to pay off in residency. Is it better to have my loans coming from one place rather than dealing with the stress of car financing and etc. Plus will the car be cheaper paying cash?
I know this question is common but given my plan to refinance, would it really make a significant difference whether I take out a car loan or use the cash from my final year? Also arent student loans more flexible in payments (10 -20 yr repayment plans) vs a standard car loan (over 5-6 years)? I see it as if I’ll be paying back about your the same amount but over a longer period of time which will be more manageable as a resident.

USMD, no red flags with 238 not matching didn’t make any sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im from Az so my dream is to get into Uofa Tucson so I am planning on rotating there. although they aren't HUGE in taking DOs.. they have so i have heard to do rotations at reach programs, is that smart?

Looking at their website (which isn’t the best), I only see 1 obvious DO in their entire program. If that’s the case, this program is probably a reach for you (I know next to nothing about southwest programs, however).

If that’s a target program for you, definitely do an away. But your second away needs to be at a program with a more established history of taking DOs.

Looking at their website (which isn’t the best), I only see 1 obvious DO in their entire program. If that’s the case, this program is probably a reach for you (I know next to nothing about southwest programs, however).

If that’s a target program for you, definitely do an away. But your second away needs to be at a program with a more established history of taking DOs.
When I interviewed there, I was among multiple DOs at the interview day and I thought at that time there were at least 3 DOs in the program. My stats were only a little higher than the individual asking and I got an interview there without an away, so... It's a wash I guess.

did u have to soap? stats?
No, 250+
When I interviewed there, I was among multiple DOs at the interview day and I thought at that time there were at least 3 DOs in the program. My stats were only a little higher than the individual asking and I got an interview there without an away, so... It's a wash I guess.
Same. I was with a few other DO students on my interview day, they have at least 3-4 DOs on their roster I think, I remember there was at least 2 at the dinner. The website is probably not up to date. Good program, DO receptive.

Is there a link to next years anesthesia discussion?

Reactions: 1 user

Here’s a link to the one I just made, cheers!

I will say, starting that thread in the medical student forum instead of the anesthesia forum will work against you. You will lose out on insights that many on this board would otherwise provide, who don't wander over to that forum. It may be of value to you too see if a mod can move that thread into the anesthesia forum instead.

Reactions: 1 users
I will say, starting that thread in the medical student forum instead of the anesthesia forum will work against you. You will lose out on insights that many on this board would otherwise provide, who don't wander over to that forum. It may be of value to you too see if a mod can move that thread into the anesthesia forum instead.

Thanks for the heads up, I’m using mobile app and I messed up, I definitely want the anesthesia board insight!

Good luck young padawan

Reactions: 1 user