Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applying to gas this year. Just found out that I failed step 2 CS.... crushed!
Average step 1 and step 2 ck scores. US med school.
Is step 2 cs fail a fatal flaw?

I'm really sorry to hear this. Did you get any feedback on what happened? I would try and reschedule it ASAP (with improving to obviously pass) so that you'll have a pass when people start to look at applications. I think its a red flag, but I would not let it be some absolute road block. Talk to your adviser at your school, maybe have a safety net back up such as another specialty in your application (IM).

Members don't see this ad.

Idk if it’s fatal but it’s certainly a flag. If everything else is good on your mspe I would not worry too much. I would def try to get feed back on why you failed, reschedule ASAP, see if your school has practice osces for this and if they don’t find a friend and practice used first aid cs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if it’s fatal but it’s certainly a flag. If everything else is good on your mspe I would not worry too much. I would def try to get feed back on why you failed, reschedule ASAP, see if your school has practice osces for this and if they don’t find a friend and practice used first aid cs

Sent from my iPhone using
Thanks I will do that.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Did you get any feedback on what happened? I would try and reschedule it ASAP (with improving to obviously pass) so that you'll have a pass when people start to look at applications. I think its a red flag, but I would not let it be some absolute road block. Talk to your adviser at your school, maybe have a safety net back up such as another specialty in your application (IM).

It has definitely crushed me. Maybe I was a little too confident about my abilities.... this is def a humbling time for me.
I was going to apply to about 30 programs but now I have 80 or so lol plus I have a few prelim programs as well.
I guess it will be expensive to apply to 90 programs in total but I will spend the extra $1000 instead of going unmatched.
What do you think?

It has definitely crushed me. Maybe I was a little too confident about my abilities.... this is def a humbling time for me.
I was going to apply to about 30 programs but now I have 80 or so lol plus I have a few prelim programs as well.
I guess it will be expensive to apply to 90 programs in total but I will spend the extra $1000 instead of going unmatched.
What do you think?

You’re an md with decent step scores. Max 50 with pre lims

You’re an md with decent step scores. Max 50 with pre lims

Sent from my iPhone using
Is there a way to submit my USMLE transcript without my step 2 cs report? lol
I fear that a fail will be a turn off to lots of programs.

I don’t believe so, once you okay the release of usmle scores period. All get released . Like I said I think you’ll be okay with 50 + pre lims

Who cares about step 2 cs? What a useless test. It's a scam to steal even more money from us. Retake it and pass before they make their rank lists.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, best of luck applying this year. i remember being in your shoes this time last year and being a nervous wreck. just a word of wisdom:

Try really hard to not put too much stock in reputation. Plenty of “top tier” programs are malignant as all hell, and some of the “low tier” programs are incredible places to work and train. The reverse is also true, but just keep in mind that as medical students we have a skewed perspective and habit to consider reputation strongly, and to incorrectly believe that all real medicine is within the top academic centers. Only 1/5 of you all will end up in academic medicine in the end. No one ever thinks to themselves at 3am on call after an 80 hr week “Well life sucks, but at least i’m at a top tier program!” I interviewed at top, mid, and bottom tier programs, and there is basically no correlation between reputation and how i ended up ranking in the end. Each place has a unique culture, and even the culture can change drastically in 5-10 years (so take those old SDN reviews with a large pinch of salt). a common thing you may hear is that you’ll get great training just about anywhere, it’s just a matter of finding the program right for YOU. Not everyone would be happy and fit inwell at the MGHs and Emory’s of the world.

Also, location is big. Like huge. You will only have so many days off, and if you are stuck in a location you hate it will be hard to enjoy life outside the hospital. Geographical bias is real, but even mid tier candidates can land spots on either coast if they so choose. Residency can be a great time to establish yourself and make connections in a paticular location or region.

anyway good luck, try not to become neurotic SDN stereotypes, interview broadly, and be sure to rank according YOUR gut feeling, not what other applicants think. Hope to have a few drinks with you all during the interview dinners

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I took it in PA. I was borderline on the ICE portion.
I don't really understand what happened but I guess somethings just happen

I'm sorry you're going through this. Had you authorized the release of your NMBE transcript prior to failing or after?

Also took it in Philly, did you feel that the SPs were rude and difficult? I couldn't get answers to an open question to save my life and they gave a LOT of condescending remarks and looks when I would try to clarify anything they were saying.

What do you think?

So if I were you I would definitely apply broadly, both cat and adv programs. I would also address the failure in your PS, even though I'm sure its already completed. Be extremely, extremely careful in crafting it. Don't come off like you didn't deserve it. Be humble, open, and honest about the process. I would have multiple people read it as well, as many as you can. I feel like as medical students we are constantly jumping hurdles and I'm sure this isnt your first and this won't be your last. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the answer to your question but I feel like if it were me I would want the programs to know about my failure before inviting me for interviews. I don't want to attend the interviews, pass the CS then update programs about your pass and spend the rest of your time wondering if they are going to rank you with a failure on your transcript. I would address it in your personal statement the best I can and apply very broadly. Best of luck!

I'm sorry you're going through this. Had you authorized the release of your NMBE transcript prior to failing or after?

Also took it in Philly, did you feel that the SPs were rude and difficult? I couldn't get answers to an open question to save my life and they gave a LOT of condescending remarks and looks when I would try to clarify anything they were saying.

No, I am yet to release my transcript.
Yes it seemed that way but my CIS section was fine.
Apparently my ICE section (write-up notes) were an issue

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to your question but I feel like if it were me I would want the programs to know about my failure before inviting me for interviews. I don't want to attend the interviews, pass the CS then update programs about your pass and spend the rest of your time wondering if they are going to rank you with a failure on your transcript. I would address it in your personal statement the best I can and apply very broadly. Best of luck!

I definitely agree with you.
If I get interview invites with my stats then I know that they truly consider me as a candidate.

Fellows will take all the good cases. If you have enough and diverse cases there will be more than enough to go around and it's not like a cardiac transplant case is very different from a cabg but it may affect your education if there are a lot of fellows. The real problem is if your schedulers are lazy and give good cases to crnas or even srnas instead of residents.

THIS IS HUGE. Future applicants take note.

The bolded above is a huge reason for burnout/ lack of residency satisfaction.

or even worse, imagine if you were sitting there doing sedation cases all day while the next door there is a G13P10 lady with Severe AS. and there are 3 CRNAs just not in ORs.

Unfortunately I don't know how one teases this out during interview season. The lazier the scheduler, the more likely they will not tell you they do this.

Nope. Prob won't match into Harvard programs though, but no one really cares about CS.

Anybody applying without Step 2 CK score? I'm scheduled to take it in a month and Im somewhat afraid that I may not get enough interviews without Step 2 CK. I'm a DO student with PA background. Step 1 was above average ( > 240). COMLEX 1: 680. I emailed some programs and they said step 2 CK is not needed till ranking but I hear previous applicants saying step 2 CK is needed for interview invites... kinda getting nervous now.

Take step 2 CS again and pass before rank lists and it will be fine. Many programs will overlook a CS fail assuming no other issues on your application.

Most applicants will have a Step 2CK score in when they apply. You will get interviews without it, but most will ask about it on interview day and want to see it before rank.

On the spreadsheet when it says "Number of programs applying to" if you're applying to MGH Categorical + Advanced, would that count as 1 or 2?

On the spreadsheet when it says "Number of programs applying to" if you're applying to MGH Categorical + Advanced, would that count as 1 or 2?

I counted it as one. I’m applying to both adv and categorical . You don’t pay extra for adv spots.

If you have enough and diverse cases there will be more than enough to go around and it's not like a cardiac transplant case is very different from a cabg but it may affect your education if there are a lot of fellows.

Sorry just seeing this. Are you being facetious? Many programs out there only do a CVL and A-like for straightforward CABG. Transplants, VADs and the like will have PACs, TEE and whatnot - if you don’t see cases like that, you are missing out on educational opportunities (it is expected that you can do simple TEE after a residency these days, for example, and place PACs).

Not all programs have fellows that sit their own cases - at my program they were more supervisory and focused on echo (there’s a separate discussion on the merits of this vs sit-your-own cases fellowship).

Also - MD fail on CS wont move the needle much unless you’re a very marginal applicant to begin with, just retake and pass (sucks bc I know it’s expensive). For DOs and IMGs they have much less wiggle room and that could be a red flag for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Take this with a very large grain of salt as this is old and barely anecdotal level.

I remember when me and some friends took CS we were all convinced we failed. We spent a few hours googling "what to do if failed" on SDN. We had found prior posts of people who simply took the approach of not reporting a result for Step 2 CS and found that not all programs made a request for this missing info.

I am not suggesting you do this. However, if it is still possible to do this nowadays....maybe consider it?

Take this with a very large grain of salt as this is old and barely anecdotal level.

I remember when me and some friends took CS we were all convinced we failed. We spent a few hours googling "what to do if failed" on SDN. We had found prior posts of people who simply took the approach of not reporting a result for Step 2 CS and found that not all programs made a request for this missing info.

I am not suggesting you do this. However, if it is still possible to do this nowadays....maybe consider it?

Hmm I see. Unfortunately, when I release my transcript, my CS score will be on there regardless.
I like the idea of being up front and releasing it to the programs.
Hopefully, I will get multiple interview invites

Wondering how many programs to apply to/competitiveness with the following stats as a DO! I had planned on 40 before I got back Step 2...now not sure how much doing worse on Step 2 is going to hurt me. I'd love to end up in the southern (Arizona, Texas) or southeastern-ish US (Tennessee, Kentucky, North and South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, northern Florida, etc) ideally. I don't have any real connections to that part of the US as I grew up and attended college and med school in the midwest.

Went to a well respected midwest DO program
USMLE Step 1: mid-240s
USMLE Step 2: mid-230s (not sure what happened and was super disappointed)
COMLEX 1: mid-500s
COMLEX 2: mid-600s
Level 2 PE: pass
SSP osteopathic honors society/top 25% of class
Good extracuriculars/leadership, good but not crazy letters
No publications, only research was in college (presentation only @ Mayo Clinic)

Do I need more than 40 programs? Thanks!

Just a PSA to people switching into anesthesia like me. I just found out most programs won’t look at your application without a letter from you CURRENT program director. I didn’t see this info anywhere but after reaching out to multiple programs I was told this.

Just a PSA to people switching into anesthesia like me. I just found out most programs won’t look at your application without a letter from you CURRENT program director. I didn’t see this info anywhere but after reaching out to multiple programs I was told this.
On the contrary, I've been anesthesia from the start, and I've never heard anything remotely close to this.

On the contrary, I've been anesthesia from the start, and I've never heard anything remotely close to this.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been through the process. However, at that time, the chairman of anesthesia at my medical school wrote a letter for every student applying to anesthesia.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been through the process. However, at that time, the chairman of anesthesia at my medical school wrote a letter for every student applying to anesthesia.
Yes, chair letters are more common and mine wrote one for me and many classmates going into anesthesia. But I don't know of a single person from my class that got a PD letter.

Yes, chair letters are more common and mine wrote one for me and many classmates going into anesthesia. But I don't know of a single person from my class that got a PD letter.

Applying is different from switching specialties. Programs want the blessing of the current pd, especially to make sure that the resident won't be a dud. I don't know about letters though.

Of course they do, this shouldn’t be surprising. The programs want to know about your work ethic and how you’ve been doing.

This is why you shouldn’t be burning bridges or screwing around at your other residency once you decide to switch. Just be honest, and be a good team player - you’re still getting paid so try the make the best of your situation rather than being a dbag. Such things make it through the grape vine.

Wait what??? I did anesthesia rotation at my school that does not have a anesthesia residency. I got a letter from my preceptor, who was the chair of anesthesia at that time for the hospital. He is no longer as they rotate every few years within the group. I have 3 letters, one from my anesthesia preceptor with whom I did my rotation, an FM doc I spent 6 months with and a critical care doc from my ICU rotation. My away rotation in anesthesia is in block 4 so I wont have the second anesthesia letter until much later on. Am I screwed?

Come on, read the thread

Oops, I read it wrong. They are already a resident switching into anesthesia. So for a med student going into anesthesia, you just need one letter from anesthesiologist, and they dont have to be chair / PD :thumbup:

Applying is different from switching specialties. Programs want the blessing of the current pd, especially to make sure that the resident won't be a dud. I don't know about letters though.
That makes more sense now..I wasn't aware he was a resident switching specialties. I assumed they were a MS4 making a last minute decision.

Any PD's or attendings/ or residents have any thought on this. Have a friend who scored in the 400's on both Comlex and passed PE and everything on 1st try; did not take steps. Has no failure and no other red flags. Has letters from anesthesiologist, IM, FM, and peds doctor. Is considering anesthesia.

Any PD's or attendings/ or residents have any thought on this. Have a friend who scored in the 400's on both Comlex and passed PE and everything on 1st try; did not take steps. Has no failure and no other red flags. Has letters from anesthesiologist, IM, FM, and peds doctor. Is considering anesthesia.

400's is terrible, sorry. no steps is basically no consideration from most places

Take step 2 CS again and pass before rank lists and it will be fine. Many programs will overlook a CS fail assuming no other issues on your application.

Most applicants will have a Step 2CK score in when they apply. You will get interviews without it, but most will ask about it on interview day and want to see it before rank.

If you have a decent Step 1 score, it really doesn't matter. Just don't wet the bed -- i.e. get a decent score on it.

Very few anesthesia programs will even consider an app with no step scores (ours didn’t). Add in 400 COMLEX... won’t be happening.

There are hordes of DO applicants that look very similar on paper - the steps are about the only thing we have to quantitatively compare them to the rest of the pool.

Do you remember how you wrote your ICE notes? Like did you use the format in the first aid book?
I’m starting to panic now. I’m not that good constructing DDXs, I feel like I overthink it

Do you remember how you wrote your ICE notes? Like did you use the format in the first aid book?
I’m starting to panic now. I’m not that good constructing DDXs, I feel like I overthink it

I wanted to know what step scores are competitive. How is the residency overall in terms of case diversity (cards, peds, pain, vascular..ect.) Hours per week? How are didactic and teaching faculty? Any pros and cons of the residency?

Thanks!

Let's see:

1) I don't know what step score is competitive. If you apply and we give you an interview then I guess THAT step score is competitive.

2) I think our case diversity is great. There aren't any cases that we don't do that I wish that I had seen. Sinai doesn't do lung transplants, and I don't feel bad about it. We do a lot of liver transplants. Livers everywhere.

3) Hours per week... that's a mixed bag. We're a big residency, so there is generally decent relief system for getting people out by 5ish, but you may stay later or earlier depending on the case volume for the day. Obviously, the more senior you are the earlier you're offered relief. If you want to stick it out and make some extra $$$ that can also affect your hours.

4) I think our faculty are overall great. Like any residency there's a certain amount of variation.

5) Pros: Case mix and patient acuity, autonomy, collegiality (There are only a few faculty that I don't address by their first name), best co-residents in the country, moonlighting money on a scale that can significantly alter your QOL.

Cons: I think that in general if I were to point out any cons, they're the same cons that everyone has with Anesthesiology as a specialty, and I knew that going in, but it still irritates me from time to time. Things like not having a predictable schedule, doing bullsh** cases overnight and on the weekend by surgeons that don't have block time. More than anything I've seen people complain on this forum about work hours for residencies in NYC. Guess what, welcome to New York. Overhead is high, and there's a lot of volume, so the ORs probably run longer here than in a similarly sized hospital in a smaller city.

Anyways, there's my two cents.

Very few anesthesia programs will even consider an app with no step scores (ours didn’t). Add in 400 COMLEX... won’t be happening.

There are hordes of DO applicants that look very similar on paper - the steps are about the only thing we have to quantitatively compare them to the rest of the pool.

Any idea what these programs that consider are?

Am I better off waiting till I get my anesthesiology later on in about a month to apply or should I apply in a week with two solid letters and then add the 3rd anesthesiology letter later on? Email programs right away and let them know the anesthesiology letter will come in later?

Am I better off waiting till I get my anesthesiology later on in about a month to apply or should I apply in a week with two solid letters and then add the 3rd anesthesiology letter later on? Email programs right away and let them know the anesthesiology letter will come in later?
I'm going to apply with 2 letters if my 3rd writer doesn't come thru on time.

I also don't think you need to email programs when your 3rd comes in.

Any idea what these programs that consider are?

I think the important part of his post was the "won't be happening" part. Obviously, nothing is stopping this hypothetical person from applying to some programs, but they need to have a realistic plan to match into another specialty.

So I just checked ERAS and my MSPE was uploaded yesterday. I thought it won't be released until October 1st. Does that mean programs will see my Dean's letter on September 15th? Just curious. I go to a DO school

Edit: nvm found the answer, all MSPEs are held hostage and won't be viewable by PDs until October 1st regardless of uploading date

Last edited: