Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are too vague, it is interpreted as, "Thanks, but you are not my number one choice." Just letting you know. In my opinion, better to send it to one program and be honest or don't send it at all.
without a doubt. i should have clarified better and said if you sent it to TWO programs

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if that second wave of interviews is coming out soon? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: 5 users
I know this has been addressed at some point but just wanted to clarify: Does training at a residency program that is owned by a private, for-profit such as HCA, disqualify you from applying for PSLF? I am just realizing that one of my interviews next week is an HCA-affiliate but is a major university medical center which I found to be surprising.
Is there news/data out there that PSLF actually worked for anybody? It started back in 2007 I think and the first person to take advantage of it should have reported something out in the news in 2017, since one has to pay off the loan under Income based repayment plan for 10 years before the loans get forgiven at the end of those 10 years. I never counted on this program because there were too many things that could go wrong, the things you need to qualify for the loan forgiveness, the middleman loan servicing company like Navient which has screwed up in the past a few times. Moreover, Trump has sided with scrapping the program or minimizing it to a level that is not useful to high earners like doctors

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if that second wave of interviews is coming out soon? Asking for a friend.

Lol wasn’t there supposed to be a “wave” in November? Then again in December as people canceled interviews? THERE IS NO WAVE. Tell your friend there wasn’t a wave...and there’ll be no wave.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Any advice how to craft that letter going to the #1 choice? Should we call and/or email? Is it really risky to send it to a few of my top programs? Highly doubt PDs are chatting about which applicants sent what
Don't do it. If they rank you to match, and you don't match they'll know that you lied to them. It's not worth them holding a grudge and blacklisting you to their connections.

Reactions: 1 users
My #1 is interviewing until Jan 18. Is it best to just send it over now or wait till they wrap up interviews?

Recently interviewed for prelim program. Was interviewed by a senior resident (not even chief) along with 1 another anesthesia applicant when other applicants (going into ophtho, Derm and radiology) were all interviewed by either program director or assistant program director. Felt like I wasted my time going. This was one of the first programs that I got invites in early October. Did I waste my time going?? Kinda got annoyed to be honest...

Recently interviewed for prelim program. Was interviewed by a senior resident (not even chief) along with 1 another anesthesia applicant when other applicants (going into ophtho, Derm and radiology) were all interviewed by either program director or assistant program director. Felt like I wasted my time going. This was one of the first programs that I got invites in early October. Did I waste my time going?? Kinda got annoyed to be honest...
Name it

My guess is this program's name starts with N and ends with YU

My guess is this program's name starts with N and ends with YU
NYU has clear preference among applicants for their Anesthesia program on interview day, but unsure if that applies to their prelim places.

NYU has clear preference among applicants for their Anesthesia program on interview day, but unsure if that applies to their prelim places.
The chosen ones are interviewed by the chair and program director while plebs not worthy of their presence are left for the residents to practice their interview skills on.

Reactions: 6 users

I didn't notice we were talking about a prelim, whoops. Most of my prelims felt cold, they know we need them and probably just want to see that we're not crazy.

The chosen ones are interviewed by the chair and program director while plebs not worthy of their presence are left for the residents to practice their interview skills on.
Eh... not necessarily residents, but I was one of the "unworthy" ones. When I asked one of the attendings about any (recent) resident-led/inspired changes to the residency, he laughed and said "I wouldn't know. I rarely interact with residents" (?!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh... not necessarily residents, but I was one of the "unworthy" ones. When I asked one of the attendings about any (recent) resident-led/inspired changes to the residency, he laughed and said "I wouldn't know. I rarely interact with residents" (?!)

Yeah you should get a refund on that one

So I interviewed at a reach today and I gotta say I was floored. Though I must admit it’s bittersweet because even though I interviewed I can’t help but feel I should rank them lower...so I read a thread on reddit that I read at the beginning of the interview trail to reassure myself of the way the match is set up and thought others here might benefit from reading it as well.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have any stats/anecdotes from previous years on how many TY / IM-Prelim / Surg-Prelim programs one needs to rank for probability of matching to be over 90%?

Where are you guys thinking of ranking some of your advanced programs? All the way at the bottom of the ROL or somewhere in the middle since that program is a good program compared to some other categorical programs you interviewed at?

Does anyone have any stats/anecdotes from previous years on how many TY / IM-Prelim / Surg-Prelim programs one needs to rank for probability of matching to be over 90%?

Where are you guys thinking of ranking some of your advanced programs? All the way at the bottom of the ROL or somewhere in the middle since that program is a good program compared to some other categorical programs you interviewed at?

I have a high ranked one, and I didn't do many prelims at all. So many local programs go unfilled so if i don't match prelim/ty of the few i have ill just soap into a local one. From talking to others this is a pretty common thing

Anyone have any opinions on Louisville? I was curious what others have heard about their work hours. Wasn't sure if they were still considered a work horse program or not.

Anyone have any opinions on Louisville? I was curious what others have heard about their work hours. Wasn't sure if they were still considered a work horse program or not.
Latest I've heard confirmed exactly that.

My number one has only advanced. Only got one TY interview, in the same city as the advanced program. Really dont want to do prelim surgery or move twice (due to wife's job). Would be very happy with my numbers 2-6, and would rather go there than do a prelim surgery.

If I dont match at the TY spot, do I slide to my number 2 or have to scramble for the prelim and risk having to move twice?

My number one has only advanced. Only got one TY interview, in the same city as the advanced program. Really dont want to do prelim surgery or move twice (due to wife's job). Would be very happy with my numbers 2-6, and would rather go there than do a prelim surgery.

If I dont match at the TY spot, do I slide to my number 2 or have to scramble for the prelim and risk having to move twice?
similar situation and i only got 2 tys but im gonna go all in . Rank the adv program top and my tys accordingly. Then rank every prelim med or ty that i applied to in the supplemental. As i said before, some prelim/trans programs rank applicants auto based on stats If worst comes to worst its only a year of prelim surg and youll be off to your number 1 after.

You scramble. You only slide to #2 if you don't match into your #1 (advanced or categorical)

You can only SOAP to places you applied right? (for prelim/ty)

So if those are full you wait till after match and Scramble?

From my understanding, once you enter the SOAP system you can view essentially all residency programs across all fields that are unfilled if you are fully unmatched. If you matched an advanced spot and did not match a prelim you will be able to view all prelim/TY spots regardless of whether you applied to those programs or not.

similar situation and i only got 2 tys but im gonna go all in . Rank the adv program top and my tys accordingly. Then rank every prelim med or ty that i applied to in the supplemental. As i said before, some prelim/trans programs rank applicants auto based on stats If worst comes to worst its only a year of prelim surg and youll be off to your number 1 after.
Yeah my wife just really cant move twice for her job.

Yeah my wife just really cant move twice for her job.
Similar situation. Really like my only advanced program and don’t want to move a lot but only have 1 prelim interview. I’d be willing to do a TY/prelim in a random city though over doing prelim surgery. I’ll hate my life. I don’t want to have chronic depression lol.

Deleting the thalamus app was quite satisfying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 65% of Prelim-Surg, 93% of TY and 93% Prelim-IM programs got filled last year, so you guys should be able to SOAP into one if you don't match into the TY/Prelim spot.

Only 65% of Prelim-Surg, 93% of TY and 93% Prelim-IM programs got filled last year, so you guys should be able to SOAP into one if you don't match into the TY/Prelim spot.

Pre lim surg here I come

Make sure you understand exactly how the match works. It’s been a few years so i don’t want to give you misinformation. I would talk to your advisor and/or dean and tell them your situation. Sometimes schools are able to come up with extra prelim medicine slots for their own students. Could also consider calling local prelim years and seeing if they are still interviewing. Prelim interviews are easy to blow off for both sides because a lot of people interview for the slots fully intending to rank categorical only.

Rank list made... I feel like peeps are trolling on the spreadsheet cuz they put it in alphabetical order

Rank list made... I feel like peeps are trolling on the spreadsheet cuz they put it in alphabetical order

The '18/'19 spreadsheet has been one clusterf*ck with constant reminders to lock individual cells to prevent editing

The '18/'19 spreadsheet has been one clusterf*ck with constant reminders to lock individual cells to prevent editing

It’s pretty disappointing honestly. One of our possible fellow classmates is acting like this.... don’t wanna match with them

It’s pretty disappointing honestly. One of our possible fellow classmates is acting like this.... don’t wanna match with them

100%, honestly I've used the 2017-2018 one more. It is pretty embarrassing, I hope 2019-2020 has a better year.

Best of luck to everyone, it has been an interesting year for Anesthesia, but I hope we all end up happy =)

I talked with some of my classmates about their interview seasons and it seems to be a complete clusterF***. Some with comlex only have plenty of interviews and others who did well on usmle's have been shafted. I'm excited to see how the match goes

I talked with some of my classmates about their interview seasons and it seems to be a complete clusterF***. Some with comlex only have plenty of interviews and others who did well on usmle's have been shafted. I'm excited to see how the match goes

COMLEX only and plenty of interviews? I’m sitting on 9 interviews and keep thinking how much less I’d have if I hadn’t taken USMLE

Reactions: 3 users
COMLEX only and plenty of interviews? I’m sitting on 9 interviews and keep thinking how much less I’d have if I hadn’t taken USMLE

Same. It's geographic screening against applicants that applied to every program. I thought my scores were fairly competitive until I realized what was going on. Looking back, there's no reason to not apply and then send a LOI to all programs since it creates a definite advantage.

Just got an II... not sure what to do yet since I finally felt relief of it being over haha

Reactions: 2 users
I will say that there are schools that will take COMLEX only and others that will require the USMLE (despite saying they will take COMLEX scores). My friend did COMLEX only and she had more interviews than I did, however the places that we interviewed at differed greatly. I am not at all saying any residency is better than the other, but she got more midwest interviews, while I got more west coast/southern/east coast programs.

My advice to any future applicant is to 100% take the USMLE regardless.

Reactions: 4 users

Trust me,I was just as surprised as you. Also they got interviews at places that totally ghosted me

I will say that there are schools that will take COMLEX only and others that will require the USMLE (despite saying they will take COMLEX scores). My friend did COMLEX only and she had more interviews than I did, however the places that we interviewed at differed greatly. I am not at all saying any residency is better than the other, but she got more midwest interviews, while I got more west coast/southern/east coast programs.

My advice to any future applicant is to 100% take the USMLE regardless.

I’m just surprised we are still having this argument. People need to take the step you can’t compare apples to oranges

Reactions: 2 users
Trust me,I was just as surprised as you. Also they got interviews at places that totally ghosted me

I had a program I for sure thought I was a shoe in for ghosting me, I called them to see what was up and turns out they didn't get my MSPE until the very end of November. I ended up with an II that day after the PD looked at my file, but I was lucky that there was a spot they could give me.

Moral of the story is they might not have ghosted you, there might have been a technical snafu and by the time they got to you it was too late.

I had a program I for sure thought I was a shoe in for ghosting me, I called them to see what was up and turns out they didn't get my MSPE until the very end of November. I ended up with an II that day after the PD looked at my file, but I was lucky that there was a spot they could give me.

Moral of the story is they might not have ghosted you, there might have been a technical snafu and by the time they got to you it was too late.
Interesting. I wonder how much of this goes on.... Did ERAS show your MSPE received when you submitted it? Or you probably didn’t go through and check every program right?

That depends on the person. One person I met did 2 months of 2 week gas rotations and had 12 ivs , likely 8 of those came from auditions