Official 2017-2018 Endocrinology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey please help. One serious question... I applied hematology and oncology fellowship and also endocrine fellowship. Currently, I am doing non ACGME accredited fellowship (eg. Bone marrow transplant fellowship) and my CV and research is more like hemoc candidate. As I am IMG, I applying endocrine fellowship as a back up plan. If I go to endocrine fellowship interviews , they will definitely ask me whether I applied hematology oncology fellowship this year or not. How should I answer?? What will be best answer? Should I say " I am not interested in hemoc , I just want to have some research experience"?? Is it good answer? Or Should I just tell the truth?

Members don't see this ad.

7/15 - Emory
7/17 - UVa, Wash U in St Louis, UNC, U Wisconsin
7/18 - Indiana U, Ohio State, Iowa
7/21 - Mass Gen, Medical College of Wisconsin
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
7/28 - Palmetto Health/U South Carolina, Harbor-UCLA
7/31 - Mayo-Jacksonville, Dartmouth, UF-Gainesville, UCLA Medical Center, Tulane, Boston University, Montefiore, Baylor
8/1 - Rutgers Medical Center, Cornell
8/2 - Tufts, Beth Israel, Duke, U Penn, UF-Jacksonville, Allegheny-Pittsburgh, Brigham and Women's, Stony Brook
8/3 - St. Louis University
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/7 - UMass, UPMC, NYU, Brown, Duke
8/8 - Central Florida, Colorado
8/9 - Henry Ford/Wayne State, UPMC
8/10 - Johns Hopkins, Cedars-Sinai, UTSW
8/11 - Montefiore, Winthrop, Nassau
8/14 - Kentucky, West Virginia University
8/15 - Loyola University, Albert Einstein (Philly), SUNY Downstate
8/16 - Baystate Medical Center
8/17 - Johns Hopkins, UT Southwestern

Unknown - Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Nebraska

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/3 - Brigham and Women's
8/15- UC Davis

Unknown - UVa

Members don't see this ad :)
7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
7/31 - Mayo-Jacksonville, Dartmouth, UF-Gainesville, UCLA Medical Center, Tulane, Boston University, Montefiore, Baylor
8/2 - Tufts, Beth Israel, Duke, U Penn, UF-Jacksonville, Allegheny-Pittsburgh, Brigham and Women's, Stony Brook
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/18 - Columbia

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis

Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/18 - Columbia, Texas Tech, Case Western, Howard

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester

Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/18 - Columbia, Texas Tech, Case Western, Howard
8/21- Stanford

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester

Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/15 - Loyola, Albert Einstein (Philly), SUNY Downstate
8/18 - Columbia, Texas Tech, Case Western, Howard, Cooper
8/21- Stanford, Cincinnati, MUSC

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester

Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/2 - Tufts, Beth Israel Deaconess, Duke, U Penn, UF-Jacksonville, Allegheny-Pittsburgh, Brigham and Women's, Stony Brook
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/7 - U Mass, UPMC, NYU, Brown, Duke
8/21 - Stanford, Cincinnati, MUSC, Brigham and Women's
8/22 - Georgetown, Cornell, U Chicago

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester

Unknown - UVa

Last edited:
Hello, I am IMG j1, community hospital ... 22 iv so far, strong research, my question is for how are you guys going to prepare for iv, any DO and DONTs? should i cancel some? im so afraid not to match bc i dont like hospitalist or primary care, im an endo lover :) regards!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. You cannot attend all 22 IVs. Its better to choose your preferences. If you prefer location or a particular state, then cancel other IVs. For IMG on J1, attending 7 interviews will be good enough to match. Endocrine is not that competitive and mostly IMG friendly because AMGs do not like it.

Congrats. You cannot attend all 22 IVs. Its better to choose your preferences. If you prefer location or a particular state, then cancel other IVs. For IMG on J1, attending 7 interviews will be good enough to match. Endocrine is not that competitive and mostly IMG friendly because AMGs do not like it.

sure you can...why not? its time and money, but that is nothing if you end up not matching because you chose to pared down your selections.

DO you need to go to all 22 interviews? not necessarily..but not really sure where you pulled out a 7 as the magic number...please cite your source.

and...as an endocrinologist...i have met quite a few AMGs that go into Endo...but lets face it, Endo is not where people go if they are interested in making a high income...AMGs have better chances at matching in GI, Cards, CC, and Hem/Onc...hence why they go into other specialities.

OP... go on as many interviews that you can...the interview season is short and there may be some overlap with the dates of the interviews so going on all 22 may be difficult, but if you are on an elective for sept and oct, they will be a bit flexible...you may be able to have a co resident cover your clinic if your program allows that (mine did) and obviously, if you can still ask for it, take vacation time off during the interview season...10 is probably doable and comfortable (but i'm just pulling a number out of the air...its the safe number for a residency spot per the NRMP so should make sense for fellowships).

there was an analysis done for fellowships by the NRMP a few years ago that gave data for fellowship matching...that may give you some information.

Last edited:
sure you can...why not? its time and money, but that is nothing if you end up not matching because you chose to pared down your selections.

DO you need to go to all 22 interviews? not necessarily..but not really sure where you pulled out a 7 as the magic number...please cite your source.

and...as an endocrinologist...i have met quite a few AMGs that go into Endo...but lets face it, Endo is not where people go if they are interested in making a high income...AMGs have better chances at matching in GI, Cards, CC, and Hem/Onc...hence why they go into other specialities.

OP... go on as many interviews that you can...the interview season is short and there may be some overlap with the dates of the interviews so going on all 22 may be difficult, but if you are on an elective for sept and oct, they will be a bit flexible...you amy be able to have a co resident cover your clinic if your program allows that (mine did) and obviously, if you can still as for it, take vacation time off during the interview season...10 is probably doable and comfortable (but i'm just pulling a number out of the air...its the safe number for a residency spot per the NRMP so should make sense for fellowships).

there was an analysis done for fellowships by the NRMP a few years ago that gave data for fellowship matching...that may give you some information.

Here is charting outcome from NRMP. The magic number to match with contagious rank is 5. In this forum , I said 7 is more than enough.
rank.png

Here is charting outcome from NRMP. The magic number to match with contagious rank is 5. In this forum , I said 7 is more than enough.
View attachment 222899

do note the caption of the chart..."the principal message of these graphs is that applicants with LONGER rank order lists are more successful than those with shorter ones".

thank you my first 4 choices are washu, baylor college of medicine, boston univ, uc davis or univ wisconsin? any feedback from these programs?

if you are thyroid focused, BU is the place...Dr Braverman still sees patients and works with the fellows.
thanks, though washU? (by the name ... was the best option), thank you for the info about thyoid at BU

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/2 - Tufts, Beth Israel Deaconess, Duke, U Penn, UF-Jacksonville, Allegheny-Pittsburgh, Brigham and Women's, Stony Brook
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester

Unknown - UVa
is there any program have not sent ivs yet? have u heard about UIC or rush? .... do you think more iv will come?

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester

thank you my first 4 choices are washu, baylor college of medicine, boston univ, uc davis or univ wisconsin? any feedback from these programs?
Wash U is an amazing program plus low cost of living, great research opportunities. I would rank it above BU unless u really want to be in Boston

Wash U is an amazing program plus low cost of living, great research opportunities. I would rank it above BU unless u really want to be in Boston
i would rank washU #1, then baylor ... i dont think im gonna change my mind after ivs well see

well washU is one of the best med schools in usa? .... also program looks very solid thats why or im wrong?

being the "best" med school in the country doesn't necessarily translate into having the "best" program in every specialty.

you have to ask yourself what are you looking for in training...are you looking to primarily do research? Or are you looking to primarily be a clinician? And are you more focused on a particular sub-specialty...diabetologist vs thyroidologist vs endocrine oncologist? Or are you looking to be the general endocrinologist in your town that handles a little bit of everything...

every program is going to give you the opportunity to be a competent endocrinologist, but some places may give you more exposure to certain aspects of endocrinology (my program is historically thyroid heavy, but also strong in calcium/bone metabolism, but adrenal, eh not so much for example). BU...again traditionally very thyroid heavy (mostly because many of the heavy hitters and thought leaders in thyroid are in the Boston area). Baylor, with its relationship with MD Anderson gives great opportunity for endocrine oncology (MD Anderson has a post fellowship 1- year fellowship in Endocrine Oncology).

Not sure its my East Coast bias or not seeing much representation from WashU, UC-Davis and Wisconsin at national meetings, but don't know much about their programs...I think WashU has some adrenal focus, but don't quote me on that.

being the "best" med school in the country doesn't necessarily translate into having the "best" program in every specialty.

you have to ask yourself what are you looking for in training...are you looking to primarily do research? Or are you looking to primarily be a clinician? And are you more focused on a particular sub-specialty...diabetologist vs thyroidologist vs endocrine oncologist? Or are you looking to be the general endocrinologist in your town that handles a little bit of everything...

every program is going to give you the opportunity to be a competent endocrinologist, but some places may give you more exposure to certain aspects of endocrinology (my program is historically thyroid heavy, but also strong in calcium/bone metabolism, but adrenal, eh not so much for example). BU...again traditionally very thyroid heavy (mostly because many of the heavy hitters and thought leaders in thyroid are in the Boston area). Baylor, with its relationship with MD Anderson gives great opportunity for endocrine oncology (MD Anderson has a post fellowship 1- year fellowship in Endocrine Oncology).

Not sure its my East Coast bias or not seeing much representation from WashU, UC-Davis and Wisconsin at national meetings, but don't know much about their programs...I think WashU has some adrenal focus, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks a lot for the input! def BU is a great option, also i got Umass? any though about it?

Thanks a lot for the input! def BU is a great option, also i got Umass? any though about it?
a few...solid program with an unusual set up of 3:1 for fellows (meaning 3 one year and 1 the other year). Unique in that there is a division of endocrinology and division of diabetes...have clinics that are only endocrine (2 half day clinics) and then only diabetes (1 half day clinic). Consult months are split amongst the fellows so something like 3-4 consult months/year, but broken up as 2 week blocks. Rounds can go late since attendings have clinic during the day. Thyroid, bone, transgender well represented (NE pts are more in the program chief's clinic since its his area of expertise, but you rotate through his clinic on electives). Attendings are approachable and like to teach. Supportive of fellows going to conferences.

a few...solid program with an unusual set up of 3:1 for fellows (meaning 3 one year and 1 the other year). Unique in that there is a division of endocrinology and division of diabetes...have clinics that are only endocrine (2 half day clinics) and then only diabetes (1 half day clinic). Consult months are split amongst the fellows so something like 3-4 consult months/year, but broken up as 2 week blocks. Rounds can go late since attendings have clinic during the day. Thyroid, bone, transgender well represented (NE pts are more in the program chief's clinic since its his area of expertise, but you rotate through his clinic on electives). Attendings are approachable and like to teach. Supportive of fellows going to conferences.

thanks A LOT for this value info!

/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/28 - Albany

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/28 - Albany
8/29 - Northwestern

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/28 - Albany
8/29 - Northwestern, Wake Forest

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/22 - Georgetown, Cornell, U Chicago, Penn State
8/23 - U Miami
8/28 - Albany, Scott&White

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/29 - Temple

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/29 - Northwestern, Wake Forest, Temple
8/30 - University of South Florida

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/30 - University of South Florida, U of Louisville.

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/18 - Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
7/31 - Mayo-Jacksonville, Dartmouth, UF-Gainesville, UCLA Medical Center, Tulane, Boston U, Montefiore, Baylor
8/2 - Tufts, Beth Israel Deaconess, Duke, U Penn, UF-Jacksonville, Allegheny-Pittsburgh, Brigham & Women's, Stony Brook
8/3 - St. Louis U
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/14 - Kentucky, West Virginia U
8/17 - Johns Hopkins, UTSW
8/21 - Stanford, Cincinnati, MUSC, Brigham & Women's
8/23 - U Miami
8/28 - Albany, Scott & White
8/30 - U South Florida, U Louisville
8/31 - Vanderbilt

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
7/31 - Mayo-Jacksonville, Dartmouth, UF-Gainesville, UCLA Medical Center, Tulane, Boston U, Montefiore, Baylor
8/2 - Tufts, Beth Israel Deaconess, Duke, U Penn, UF-Jacksonville, Allegheny-Pittsburgh, Brigham & Women's, Stony Brook
8/3 - St. Louis U
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/31 - Vanderbilt , UTMB

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/21 - Mass Gen, Medical College of Wisconsin, UC Irvine
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
7/31 - Mayo-Jacksonville, Dartmouth, UF-Gainesville, UCLA Medical Center, Tulane, Boston U, Montefiore, Baylor, UC San Diego
8/1 - Rutgers Medical Center, Cornell, UC Davis
8/3 - St. Louis U
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF
8/23 - U Miami
8/29 - Northwestern, Wake Forest, Temple, Mount Sinai
8/31 - Vanderbilt , UTMB
9/1 - U Utah

Rejections
7/19 - U Washington
8/1 - Beth Israel
8/15 - UC Davis
8/21 - Mayo Rochester
Unknown - UVa

7/15 - Emory
7/21 - Mass Gen, Medical College of Wisconsin, UC Irvine
7/22 - U Michigan
7/27 - U Washington
7/31 - Mayo-Jacksonville, Dartmouth, UF-Gainesville, UCLA Medical Center, Tulane, Boston U, Montefiore, Baylor, UC San Diego
8/1 - Rutgers Medical Center, Cornell, UC Davis
8/3 - St. Louis U
8/4 - Maryland, UCSF