Official 2016 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Comlex level 1.

Anyone take the exam in February?

Members don't see this ad.

Tomorrow. Hoping it's in the 220+ range, that's really all I need. Just don't want to have to leave my home state if possible, and that seems to be about where I need to be for safety in regard to psych and IM.
I see. Best wishes and don't forget to come back tomorrow and post that you got 230+:luck:

Reactions: 1 users
guys i have failed it. by about 50 points. i haven't finished uworld. just combank and conquest. I've done sketchy FA and pathoma. it wasn't the content, i got nervous and changed a few answers. but a few questions won't have a failing result. i don't know. i have rested, now i have to go back hard. and finish uworld at least twice. i just rescheduled and i will take it in 45 days. pray for me.
Sorry about that. Now, put that behind you and study hard. Focus on UW, Pathoma, and Saverese. I didn't touch any COMLEX-specific Qbank, but people say that Combank was helpful in preparing them for the "WTF" qs.

Someone a couple months ago posted on this thread that they were able to raise their score by 200+ points on a retake. There's plenty of room for improvement. You can do it.

Sorry, I have to weigh down your ridiculous scores with a merely above average 560. I know, I know - it's rural family med in Nebraska for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
599. One damn point and I would've been much happier lol but glad that whole experience is over

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry, I have to weigh down your ridiculous scores with a merely above average 560. I know, I know - it's rural family med in Nebraska for me.
haha, that's good score, man. Cheer up!

I can't think of any AOA program that would not interview you based on this score alone.

Passed! Hovered right around a 500. Just so glad I passed this b$%%#

Honestly thought I failed it. Not as high as I wanted but it's enough for family med.

haha, that's good score, man. Cheer up!

I can't think of any AOA program that would not interview you based on this score alone.
Haha, I'm kidding. That's probably a top third score and I'm perfectly happy with it. I want to do EM, so I'm in good shape.

Haha, I'm kidding. That's probably a top third score and I'm perfectly happy with it. I want to do EM, so I'm in good shape.
Well over the average of what AOA programs are used to seeing. Damn I'm gonna miss the AOA match, I'd basically be all but guaranteed an EM spot if I wanted it, as would you.

Does anyone know if MD residency programs consider your COMLEX anyway? I got a 222 on USMLE and 599 on comlex, top 25% of my class, research, volunteer, etc ... Can I get into IM or anesthesia?

Does anyone know if MD residency programs consider your COMLEX anyway? I got a 222 on USMLE and 599 on comlex, top 25% of my class, research, volunteer, etc ... Can I get into IM or anesthesia?
Your COMLEX is above average, your USMLE is tad below average, you seem to be a well-rounded applicant (aka research), so I think you have a good shot at either specialty as long as you don't limit yourself to top programs.

You can get into IM or anesthesia, but if you want to do university IM you're looking at a low-tier program and you'll have to apply broadly. Good shape for strong community IM programs. Anesthesia, you're okay for more rural programs and some of the lower-tier programs out there (and even some mid-tier ones could be in reach, given the way anesthesia is right now), but it'll be a fight to get into the higher-tier ones. Your Step score essentially wins out when you apply ACGME, as it gives an apples-to-apples comparison against other candidates.

Bottom line: you're in good shape for either specialty if you apply broadly and are geographically flexible.

Complex- 657.

Took USMLE the week before- 230.

First aid, pathoma, Uworld. Goljan audio helps (best when running, lifting, car rides, walking). Used DIT - for biochem bc that shiiit was boring AF. also used for psych, biostats (found it extremely helpful). Other than that i wouldnt pay 1K for that course. Sketchy for micro. Barely reviewed immune or pharm ( agonist vs. antagonist, receptors and stuff are more high yield).

Honestly, I'm only posting here to give some inspiration to: people who haven't taken it yet, people who took it and didn't do well, or those eager second years reading these posts to prepare for next year.
- i didn't do well on the MCAT-
- Barely got into med school- trust me when i said it was all luck
- was advised to go into another profession, something less competitive such as PA, nursing.
- did i mention i did TERRIBLE on the MCAT, terrible standardized test taker. I still remember the day i got my score and then logged on to SDN, thought i was the biggest idiot ever.

So if a student like me can get couple of decent scores on one of the hardest tests we have to take as medical professionals, then anyone can do it. If you're not satisfied with your score and don't think you can get the residency you've always desired you're wrong! work hard my friends and things will fall into place for you. (corny but its true)

Anyways good luck

Reactions: 9 users
Complex- 657.

Took USMLE the week before- 230.

First aid, pathoma, Uworld. Goljan audio helps (best when running, lifting, car rides, walking). Used DIT - for biochem bc that shiiit was boring AF. also used for psych, biostats (found it extremely helpful). Other than that i wouldnt pay 1K for that course. Sketchy for micro. Barely reviewed immune or pharm ( agonist vs. antagonist, receptors and stuff are more high yield).

Honestly, I'm only posting here to give some inspiration to: people who haven't taken it yet, people who took it and didn't do well, or those eager second years reading these posts to prepare for next year.
- i didn't do well on the MCAT-
- Barely got into med school- trust me when i said it was all luck
- was advised to go into another profession, something less competitive such as PA, nursing.
- did i mention i did TERRIBLE on the MCAT, terrible standardized test taker. I still remember the day i got my score and then logged on to SDN, thought i was the biggest idiot ever.

So if a student like me can get couple of decent scores on one of the hardest tests we have to take as medical professionals, then anyone can do it. If you're not satisfied with your score and don't think you can get the residency you've always desired you're wrong! work hard my friends and things will fall into place for you. (corny but its true)

Anyways good luck
Yeah, the COMLEX and USMLE are more about hard work than multiple choice test taking skills and such. There's no tricks, you know the material or you don't. I know a few people that bombed the MCAT and did okay on both exams- there is some correlation, but not a whole lot between it and the licensing exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the COMLEX and USMLE are more about hard work than multiple choice test taking skills and such. There's no tricks, you know the material or you don't. I know a few people that bombed the MCAT and did okay on both exams- there is some correlation, but not a whole lot between it and the licensing exams.
I struggled with the MCAT, mainly due to the VR section. Had to take that crap twice, and almost gave up on pursuing med school because of it. Thankfully, boards are totally different. The more you study, the higher you score. Pure and simple.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a few people that bombed the MCAT and did okay on both exams- there is some correlation, but not a whole lot between it and the licensing exams.
Yeah, f the MCAT. First and second shot were 55% and 67%. Made up for it though with a 96% usmle and 99% comlex. Completely different beasts.

Yeah, f the MCAT. First and second shot were 55% and 67%. Made up for it though with a 96% usmle and 99% comlex. Completely different beasts.
I was 96% on the MCAT, 79% on the COMLEX, and nfc yet on my Step. They're totally different tests, and while there is some carryover of knowledge and skills, it ain't a whole lot.

First of all, congrats to everyone! Got my USMLE score last week and just got my COMLEX score today, and I was waiting for both score before posting anything. Thank you everyone here for all your help!

Scores

COMLEX (6/16) – 695
USMLE (6/10) – 251

COMSAE C (January) – 549
COMSAE E (March) – 591
COMSAE D (April) – 651

NBME 11 (3/6) – 235
NBME 12 (4/16) – 242
NBME 13 (4/23) – 245
NBME 15 (4/30) – 251
UWorld Assessment 1 (5/7) – 251
UWorld Assessment 2 (5/12) – 254
NBME 16 (5/21) – 251
NBME 18 (5/28) – 254
Free 150 at Prometric (5/31) – 88%
NBME 17 (6/4) – 249

COMBANK average - 82%
UWorld average - 79%

Studying Method

I basically started studying for the boards from the first day of medical school. For me, I wanted to do really well and get A’s in every single class. Therefore, I studied very hard almost every day. I had really good grades and right now I am in the top 5% of my class in terms of class rank. I would say doing well in classes is the single most important advice anyone can give you here. Doing well in classes and understanding concepts just builds the foundation for everything. This makes studying during dedicated so much easier. You can basically focus on your weaknesses and keep practicing questions during dedicated if you have a good foundation. During the summer after my first year, I read through FA, did Pathoma, and COMBANK questions of everything we covered during the first year. I am not really sure how much this helped but I wouldn’t recommend doing much during the summer and instead just relax.

During the second year, I started doing questions from COMBANK + Kaplan, reading FA, doing Pathoma corresponding to whatever was being covered in classes. I would try to do at least 15 – 20 questions per night. This would get pretty difficult before a quiz or exam. I started doing UWorld from late December. At first, I would do maybe 15 – 20 questions from sections we have already covered in school. Reading the explanations and carefully understanding and annotating the mistakes into FA was one of the most important things I did. I would basically do the 15 – 20 UWorld questions before going to classes and then review them after coming back from school. In addition, I started doing DIT from March. I would watch maybe 3 – 4 videos per day and take notes. DIT is a good resource if you have the time. At the end of school year, I had already done at least 1 pass of Pathoma and FA.

I basically started my dedicated in mid April right after school ended. For the first month, I finished up DIT, did 1 block of remaining UWorld questions/day, and did 1 pass of FA. During the second month (more like 3 weeks), I did 2nd pass of Pathoma, 2nd pass of UWorld (3 blocks/day), and 2nd pass of FA. During my 2nd pass of UWorld, all the questions I missed, I would basically type out a short explanation. I reviewed these explanations at least once or twice a week. In the last week before the USMLE, I did one final pass of FA to keep everything fresh in my head. I didn’t do any questions but I reviewed my mistake notes from 2nd pass of UWorld.

After the USMLE, I took a day off. Read Saverese for 2 days. Along with Saverese, I also did all the OMM COMBANK questions to get in the mode of COMLEX style questions. Reviewing the stupid Chapman’s points and viscerosomatic reflexes are the most important around this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Those of you getting your scores today, how did you all feel leaving the exam?

I get my score on the next release, and I'm scared to death that I failed. I didn't take a COMSAE so I didn't really have any baseline to judge by. Passed all my NBME's but still feel like COMLEX was such a different/weird/vague exam that I ended up guessing on so many and was much more pressed for time.

The first half of the test felt very good. The second half of the test felt very bad. At the end, I knew I passed but was worried I got a score way below average.

COMSAE E (10 days before): 544

COMLEX: 544

Consistency is key.

Way better than I felt when I left. I want to be in a primary care field so I'm over the moon and honestly still can't believe I passed. I'll gladly take being average.

Got score today.

I was very upset after test day, felt like i guessed on fifty percent. I took this after usmle, which i thought was a much better exam. Glad this part is over and we can move on to the next phase. All of my comsae exams were provided by school and were in the 600s.

Usmle >260

Comlex >800, i wasnt even sure this score was possible, so i am very excited.

Goodluck to those of you with testing and scores still to go.

Reactions: 8 users
Got score today.

I was very upset after test day, felt like i guessed on fifty percent. I took this after usmle, which i thought was a much better exam. Glad this part is over and we can move on to the next phase. All of my comsae exams were provided by school and were in the 600s.

Usmle >260

Comlex >800, i wasnt even sure this score was possible, so i am very excited.

Goodluck to those of you with testing and scores still to go.

Congrats! Are you a robot by any chance?!

Sorry about that. Now, put that behind you and study hard. Focus on UW, Pathoma, and Saverese. I didn't touch any COMLEX-specific Qbank, but people say that Combank was helpful in preparing them for the "WTF" qs.

Someone a couple months ago posted on this thread that they were able to raise their score by 200+ points on a retake. There's plenty of room for improvement. You can do it.
thats what a

Thanks a lot. I've started uworld and its ok. I remember a lot of the content. Should I start DIT.? I think learning high yield concepts might help. Or should I focus on questions for these next 44 days? I was so far away from passing. And advice helps. I am not a top percentile Med student nor am I a good test taker.
Anything helps,
A desperate Med student that wants to kill comlex 1

thats what a

Thanks a lot. I've started uworld and its ok. I remember a lot of the content. Should I start DIT.? I think learning high yield concepts might help. Or should I focus on questions for these next 44 days? I was so far away from passing. And advice helps. I am not a top percentile Med student nor am I a good test taker.
Anything helps,
A desperate Med student that wants to kill comlex 1
I didn't use DIT so I can't comment on it. I hear it's a good source especially for those with major gaps in their knowledge base. UWorld, imo, is the single best source for boards. However, you need to utilize it effectively. You need to read the explanations carefully and look up (wikipedia) concepts that you are not too familiar with. Also, make sure you do pathoma and memorize everything that comes out of Dr. Sattar's mouth. I'm not a big fan of FA, so i can't really recommend it.

As you know, OMM and MSK are HY topics on COMLEX, so make sure you pay special attention to these two. Saverese is a good book and it's easy read, so you should read it couple of times. My friends told me about DIT videos that summarize Saverese, you may want to check them out. MSK in FA is very lacking IMO, so try to supplement that with other sources (UWorld, Combank, etc...).

In regards to doing qs all day vs content review, that is something you need to figure out for yourself. Personally, I don't benefit much from content review (pathoma is an exception). I learn best by doing active studying (aka doing qs).

I didn't use DIT so I can't comment on it. I hear it's a good source especially for those with major gaps in their knowledge base. UWorld, imo, is the single best source for boards. However, you need to utilize it effectively. You need to read the explanations carefully and look up (wikipedia) concepts that you are not too familiar with. Also, make sure you do pathoma and memorize everything that comes out of Dr. Sattar's mouth. I'm not a big fan of FA, so i can't really recommend it.

As you know, OMM and MSK are HY topics on COMLEX, so make sure you pay special attention to these two. Saverese is a good book and it's easy read, so you should read it couple of times. My friends told me about DIT videos that summarize Saverese, you may want to check them out. MSK in FA is very lacking IMO, so try to supplement that with other sources (UWorld, Combank, etc...).

In regards to doing qs all day vs content review, that is something you need to figure out for yourself. Personally, I don't benefit much from content review (pathoma is an exception). I learn best by doing active studying (aka doing qs).
Thanks a lot. I'm gonna try to sleep it off and go hard 17 hours a day for the next 44. Pray for me y'all.

I just got my score. 715! Haven't even looked at the results page yet. My OMM lunch just ended... I'll post more later.

My COMLEX score ended up being way higher than I expected based on how I felt after the exam, but I guess this is a recurring theme and people are bored of hearing by now. I was nervous because I had read and heard horror stories of students getting 150+ points worse on COMLEX than COMSAE but I think the COMSAE's (maybe especially E? - the newest one my school gave us) may actually have a decent correlation, even though it felt nothing like the real exam. 5 of my classmates got +/- 30 points from their COMSAE E. Don't get me wrong, this test has a lot of luck involved and I don't think the COMSAEs come close to predicting as well as the NBMEs (which were spot on for me).

Also, if you suck at OMM like me, don't fret. Preparing for the USMLE with Uworld, FA, and Pathoma and then cramming OMM for a few days (two days in my case) is the tried and true method for doing well on COMLEX. Since I was awful at OMM (Still am, pretty sure my OMM preceptor is convinced I didn't go to a DO school). I thought I would need extra study time, especially since I failed two written OMM exams at my school. However, I decided against it since I didn't want to take time away from my USMLE study and it was definitely the right decision for me. 2 days of studying Savarese and doing OMM questions with COMBANK/COMQUEST was more than enough for the problems that were solvable. There were some OMM questions that were impossible, but I think it's safe to assume that most of those ones were thrown out. My OMM score was the lowest category, but it goes to show you can still get a good score with this method (OMM was still high performance).

My weakness in OMM made me think that I would do much better relatively on the USMLE than the COMLEX. However, as it turns out I actually did quite a bit better on COMLEX than USMLE because I'm also weak in biostats/epidemiology which is MUCH more heavily tested on the USMLE than COMLEX. I'm not sure how I could have better prepared for the Biostats and Epidemiology on the USMLE... Has anyone ever used the Biostats Qbank from Uworld? I feel this could have been beneficial for those of us weak in in biostats, but I've never heard of anyone actually using it.

TLDR: COMSAE E predicted well for me and a few of my classmates. Know biostats/epidemiology for USMLE; virtually none on COMLEX. Don't stress over OMM- 2 days is enough and they throw out the impossible questions.

Scores:

COMLEX 715

COMSAE E: 710 - 4 weeks before

STEP 1 242
NBME 18: 245
NBME 17: 245
NBME 16: 239
(these 3 were taken within 2.5 weeks of exam)
Free 117: 86%
NBME 13: 211 (baseline before study period 1.5 months before)
Uworld 1st pass 71%; 2nd pass 89%

Study plan: Used Rx, Kaplan Q bank, FA, Pathoma during classes. Started Uworld just before dedicated. Watched the old 2010 Kaplan videos - Biochem, Behavioral Science, and Pharmacology before dedicated. Sketchy for Micro and Pharm. Sketchy was excellent for both. Kaplan was a little too in depth but helped me learn Biochem, which was another weakness. I can expand on my study plan if people are interested.

Thank you everyone for your support and to those that have shared their excellent advice on this forum that helped me achieve my goals!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Im just so disappointed. is there anyone that i could PM that has taken the comlex the second or third time that did well. Ill finish uworld and DIT, will need to take COMSAE E in just about 2/3 weeks. I'm gonna force myself to do whatever it takes.

Question, how heavily is biochem tested on COMLEX? I have a week left and hadn't studied hardly any other than like gene inheritance of diseases and stuff like that. Had been doing DIT and just didn't have enough time to watch them all. On practice COMSAEs I literally had below performance on one and above average on the other.. Totally random. Kind of same question about psych as well. In the last few days would you suggest a review of material or do as many questions as possible, and would that be COMBANK or UWORLD? Thanks, and congrats to all of those w excellent scores!

Question, how heavily is biochem tested on COMLEX? I have a week left and hadn't studied hardly any other than like gene inheritance of diseases and stuff like that. Had been doing DIT and just didn't have enough time to watch them all. On practice COMSAEs I literally had below performance on one and above average on the other.. Totally random. Kind of same question about psych as well. In the last few days would you suggest a review of material or do as many questions as possible, and would that be COMBANK or UWORLD? Thanks, and congrats to all of those w excellent scores!

I actually had about 10 questions s of biochem that were extremely straightforward. Very first order stuff, nothing like what you find in uworld. It essentially came down to, did you memorize the pathways in first aid.

Im just so disappointed. is there anyone that i could PM that has taken the comlex the second or third time that did well. Ill finish uworld and DIT, will need to take COMSAE E in just about 2/3 weeks. I'm gonna force myself to do whatever it takes.

There's a guy at my school who I could put you in touch with who passed it on his third attempt. Send me a pm if you're interested.

I used dit and was very happy with them. I didn't score as high as some of these rock stars on here but was able to pass the first time thank goodness. Their dit omm was okay, not the best but helped me get through the green book in a few days.

I actually had about 10 questions s of biochem that were extremely straightforward. Very first order stuff, nothing like what you find in uworld. It essentially came down to, did you memorize the pathways in first aid.
I was so overprepared for biochem that my score was basically off the charts on the score report- just an arrow on the far right, no line lol. If only I were that good with cranial...

My COMSAE scores were a bit off of my final score. Basically one was 50 points higher two weeks out, another was 40 points lower two days out. So if anyone was wondering about that correlation, COMSAEs had about a 50 point give either way.

Those of you getting your scores today, how did you all feel leaving the exam?

I get my score on the next release, and I'm scared to death that I failed. I didn't take a COMSAE so I didn't really have any baseline to judge by. Passed all my NBME's but still feel like COMLEX was such a different/weird/vague exam that I ended up guessing on so many and was much more pressed for time.
I felt like my soul had died and I was preparing myself for a worst-case scenario of failure.

Does anyone's score report not align very well with their 3 digit score? I'm thankful I passed, but if one were to look at my bar graph/chart thing, one would think that my score is actually higher than it really is... weird... I'm bummed about it cause I deviated downward from my COMSAEs...but it's over I guess, that was a dark time in my life...

GUYS I PULLED OFF A score in 560-570s (keeping it vague for anonymity)! Super happy especially with the skipping lunch by accident fiasco! I truly felt I failed after the test and didn''t even finish it. Proves that the way you feel after the test in no way predicts your score. SOO happy, Congrats to everyone!

Does anyone's score report not align very well with their 3 digit score? I'm thankful I passed, but if one were to look at my bar graph/chart thing, one would think that my score is actually higher than it really is... weird... I'm bummed about it cause I deviated downward from my COMSAEs...but it's over I guess, that was a dark time in my life...
I only had one section that feel into adequate, everything else was way above, still didn't break 600. Whatever, who cares- the section breakdown has always been vague.

The people who say "don't study biochem for COMLEX" give terrible advice, but it's at least typically high yield biochem, like what's in First Aid and DIT.

GUYS I PULLED OFF A score in 560-570s (keeping it vague for anonymity)! Super happy especially with the skipping lunch by accident fiasco! I truly felt I failed after the test and didn''t even finish it. Proves that the way you feel after the test in no way predicts your score. SOO happy, Congrats to everyone!

Way to rock it even with skipping lunch! Now you have a good story to tell :)

So I just checked my comlex score again from the release a view weeks ago because I needed to send my score report in for an audition rotation. My score has changed by 2 points. Not a big deal because I will take the bump but has anybody ever had this happen?

I took a screenshot and sent it to my spouse when I passed. So I know it actually went up. NBOME never let me know or anything- strange

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So glad scores got released! I scored a 720-730 (I'd rather not share exact). My score is much higher than I expected after walking out. There is no way to feel good about that test! I took the COMSAE E 3 weeks before the test and scored a 720 so I guess it was a good indication after all.

COMQUEST score (all questions): 79%
UW score (all questions): 72%
COMBANK (few hundred questions): 75%
Went through Savarese a week before the exam.

I recommend taking it easy after the exam even though it feels like you got hit by a truck! Thank you for all of the advice!

I would agree with that. Microbiology, pharm, and biochemistry were off the charts for me but the rest didn't exactly correlate. What the heck is health diagnostic technologies anyway? That arrow on mine was pointed to the left in the complete opposite direction

Yeah I don't recall behavioral being that high yield on my exam date yet it was way to the left... most everything else for me was deviated to the right so I don't know how it could've dropped my score that much.. Got my USMLE back today and behavioral was all the way to the right for me. COMLEX is stupid.

COMSAE C- 388
COMSAE B- 550
COMLEX- 650s
Can't recall my qbank scores exactly but I think it was 75% COMBANK, 74% COMQUEST and in the 60s for UWORLD.

I'm really happy with my score but definitely did not feel good after taking it and had panic attacks all month waiting for my score. I finished UWORLD first and flew through comquest followed by combank. I think doing a ton of questions is what helped me.

Good luck to everyone getting ready to take it! You can do it!

USMLE - 230s
COMLEX - 660s

I took the COMSAE during the spring, but then pretty much hunkered down to study for the USMLE. My UWorld scores by the end of the first pass were in the high 60's. My COMBANK percentage I can't really say is an accurate indicator because I used that the whole year to supplement studying for exams (something I highly recommend to get used to that test style early on). All I ended up using otherwise was UWorld and First Aid. COMBANK came back into the picture once the USMLE was done (the USMLE and COMLEX were a week apart). Savarese, too, proved to be invaluable for OMM.

One thing I'll suggest is even beyond the prep materials and study regimen is to have friends/family around and take breaks when needed. These might be your most valuable resources.

Good luck!

43 days till my retake, DIT is slow as hell, finished halfway. started last week smh. doing Uworld and can't believe i haven't done this before. uworld is amazing. okk back to my 5 AM till 10 PM study days. pray for me

43 days till my retake, DIT is slow as hell, finished halfway. started last week smh. doing Uworld and can't believe i haven't done this before. uworld is amazing. okk back to my 5 AM till 10 PM study days. pray for me
5am to 10pm will do more harm than good. Emphasize quality over quantity.