Official 2016 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Comlex level 1.

Anyone take the exam in February?

Members don't see this ad.

COMSAE E 5/27: 495
COMSAE C 6/27: 498
COMLEX 7/14: 524

NBME 18 6/28: 330
USMLE: TBD

My distribution on COMLEX was just as schizophrenic as it was on the COMSAE's. Somehow "Diagnostic Technologies" and "Behavioral Science" were my worst and "Health Promotion and Disease Management" literally spanned all three categories.

I had a ridiculous spread similar to what you're talking about too. The schizophrenic analogy is definitely true. I hope the merger does away the comlex but doubt it because of the $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know anything about programs you can go to if you fail your boards?

There are intense boot camp style programs. I don't know the names but I'm sure your school knows about them and Google would most likely have them too. Hopefully someone else has some experience with a good one to recommend or knows someone.

Happy to officially have the weight of COMLEX off my shoulders!

USMLE: 230
COMLEX: 639

COMSAE E: 664
(^^ for those of you poking around looking at how COMSAEs compare. I'd say with my real score 25 points lower, that's definitely in an acceptable range.)

My goal going into the whole ordeal was 580-600. One of our deans who meets with everyone to discuss their study plan/goals said I should realistically be aiming for "low 500s, 530 if I had to pick a number." Since then, my goal was just to prove him wrong for no other reason than it annoyed me. Safe to say I think I did just that. Hoping to match into EM or PM&R so I think I'm pretty safe all around. Congrats to everyone else who got their scores today!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys this post is made for everyone who wants to read a less than average story but one that has a lot of heart. Most of this thread has students detailing their path to the top 25%. I’m hear to say I worked very hard, followed a similar path, and didn’t find myself there because that’s how life is sometimes AND THAT’S OKAY for anyone reading this.

I finished my first 2 years of med school with a 3.00. I was never able to study for boards until dedicated study began. I tried during classes and my course grades suffered greatly.

My dedicated study period was 10 weeks.

COMSAE D 380 (800 COMBANK questions completed ~ 8 weeks out)
COMSAE A 440 (1200 COMBANK questions completed ~ 6 weeks out)
COMSAE B 475 (1600 COMBANK questions completed ~ 4 weeks out)
COMSAE C 460 (COMBANK completed with a 50.4% ~ 1 week out)

COMLEX 420

During this dedicated study period I made several passes through Sketchy Micro (which I think saved me). One very dedicated pass through Pathoma taking detailed notes, than several passes reading my notes. I completed DIT taking notes in the entirety of its workbook on all the HY, 3,4,5 star topics.

You may look at my COMLEX and say I underperformed as compared to my COMSAEs but it is what it is. I answered every single COMBANK & COMSAE question truthfully. If I were to do things differently I would skip DIT entirely. I was really scared about passing and I was advised it was a good idea to do DIT. I should have focused on making my pass through Pathoma & Sketchy earlier and completing another question bank. I made this post not to offer advice (there is plenty on SDN) but hopefully calm anyone’s nerves that is a similar student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys this post is made for everyone who wants to read a less than average story but one that has a lot of heart. Most of this thread has students detailing their path to the top 25%. I’m hear to say I worked very hard, followed a similar path, and didn’t find myself there because that’s how life is sometimes AND THAT’S OKAY for anyone reading this.

I finished my first 2 years of med school with a 3.00. I was never able to study for boards until dedicated study began. I tried during classes and my course grades suffered greatly.

My dedicated study period was 10 weeks.

COMSAE D 380 (800 COMBANK questions completed ~ 8 weeks out)
COMSAE A 440 (1200 COMBANK questions completed ~ 6 weeks out)
COMSAE B 475 (1600 COMBANK questions completed ~ 4 weeks out)
COMSAE C 460 (COMBANK completed with a 50.4% ~ 1 week out)

COMLEX 420

During this dedicated study period I made several passes through Sketchy Micro (which I think saved me). One very dedicated pass through Pathoma taking detailed notes, than several passes reading my notes. I completed DIT taking notes in the entirety of its workbook on all the HY, 3,4,5 star topics.

You may look at my COMLEX and say I underperformed as compared to my COMSAEs but it is what it is. I answered every single COMBANK & COMSAE question truthfully. If I were to do things differently I would skip DIT entirely. I was really scared about passing and I was advised it was a good idea to do DIT. I should have focused on making my pass through Pathoma & Sketchy earlier and completing another question bank. I made this post not to offer advice (there is plenty on SDN) but hopefully calm anyone’s nerves that is a similar student.
Just curious, what was it about DIT that made it worth skipping?

I ask because a good number of upperclassmen at my school say DIT was what saved them, although I get that could be due to different exam forms or weaknesses in my school's curriculum.

And you used combank exclusively for questions? Was lack the time the primary reason for not doing another bank?

Just curious, what was it about DIT that made it worth skipping?

I ask because a good number of upperclassmen at my school say DIT was what saved them, although I get that could be due to different exam forms or weaknesses in my school's curriculum.

And you used combank exclusively for questions? Was lack the time the primary reason for not doing another bank?

During my COMLEX I found myself having trouble with the straight recall questions as opposed to the critical thinking questions. DIT does a great job of comprehensively covering everything which for students who can memorize loads of information "DIT can save them". Personally my trouble came in straight memorization and if I had completed another question bank, recalling the pertinent information would have been easier.

The primary reason for not completing another question bank was time. I had told myself I was going to finish DIT and stuck through with it. Upperclassmen had advised me similarly. But ultimately there is no one size fits approach.

You may ask why I chose COMBANK over say finishing UWorld (as a disclaimer I did complete about 250 UWorld questions) but my school had COMBANK assessments and COMANK quizzes scattered throughout the year and I wanted to finish a COMLEX specific Q-bank. Plus my primary weakness wasn't higher-order thinking or understanding information.

Last edited:
Need some advice from others. I'm retaking the COMLEX after failing to pass the first time by a narrow margin. I stepped up my studying by going through Kaplan Physio/Pharm Lecture notes , Pathoma videos to cover my weak spots. Are there any other tips for me going into the September 2nd test? At this point a pass would be fine to me so I can move onto rotations

Need some advice from others. I'm retaking the COMLEX after failing to pass the first time by a narrow margin. I stepped up my studying by going through Kaplan Physio/Pharm Lecture notes , Pathoma videos to cover my weak spots. Are there any other tips for me going into the September 2nd test? At this point a pass would be fine to me so I can move onto rotations

A week out from my test I made one more solid pass through SketchyMicro. If you didn't use SketchyMicro there's a solid algorithm in FA for your gram-positives & gram-negatives. I memorized Viscerosomatic levels & Chapman's points (YouTube has great videos for both). Also, I memorized everything related to brachial plexus (muscle/nerve/artery/function). I have a few friends taking the exam on September 2 too. They're just not vocal on SDN . You got this!!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear that you failed :( Can you share what you used before you took it the first time?

A week out from my test I made one more solid pass through SketchyMicro. If you didn't use SketchyMicro there's a solid algorithm in FA for your gram-positives & gram-negatives. I memorized Viscerosomatic levels & Chapman's points (YouTube has great videos for both). Also, I memorized everything related to brachial plexus (muscle/nerve/artery/function). I have a few friends taking the exam on September 2 too. They're just not vocal on SDN . You got this!!

I did use Sketchy and I'm rather good at Micro according to the COMSAEs! I scheduled myself to finish another pass of everything by Wednesday Morning. Then for the rest of Wednesday and all of Thursday I'm just going to review OMM/Micro. Those Viscerosomatic/Chapman point videos are great too!

I am going to glance at a few videos on Youtube about Cardio phys as well since I struggle somewhat on the topic of Preload/Afterload, SVR etc.

FOr SBYaoM, I used DIT first time, and mostly FA with Savarese and UWORLD/ COMBANK. The problem was I spread out my use of the test banks too much. I wouldn't recommend DIT. This time I got the Kaplan Lecture Notes and went through them along with Pathoma and its videos. I read the same material through FA this time with a much larger understanding of Patho(which I did poorly in on the real thing). Kaplan Pharm lecture notes helped me with Pharm as well.

Hoping for the best thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pushed it back a few weeks! Did anyone take it yesterday? How'd it go?

The word "high yield" doesnt apply to the COMLEX. There were random bioterror questions, and the neuro was mostly outside of First Aid and Pathoma.

It was a rough test but all said and done if I passed I'll be happy with it.

Hi all - I am retaking the COMLEX this Nov 21. I am curious to know from those who retook it, if they have any advise for the second time around? Thanks!

Hi all - I am retaking the COMLEX this Nov 21. I am curious to know from those who retook it, if they have any advise for the second time around? Thanks!
know the area u were weak at.focus on them by using UWorld as a study tool in TUTOR mode. If test taking was a weakness, then practice COMBANK in timed mode

Hello I am devastated. After getting over the initial comlex fail in July (377), I am supposed to take it again Jan 10 I have been on rotations and doing boards bootcamp 2 weeks ago I got a 453 on comsae b and I took comsae e today and got 394! I take the exam in a week! Any advice or words of encouragement is so appreciated if u feel more comfortable messaging me please do thank you guys so much!

You've got this Ginger- just be confident and try not to stress during the exam (I know harder said then done) and you'll do just fine. Good luck!!

Hello I am devastated. After getting over the initial comlex fail in July (377), I am supposed to take it again Jan 10 I have been on rotations and doing boards bootcamp 2 weeks ago I got a 453 on comsae b and I took comsae e today and got 394! I take the exam in a week! Any advice or words of encouragement is so appreciated if u feel more comfortable messaging me please do thank you guys so much!

You got this, try not to stress yourself out!! also plan out your test day snacks and breaks really well. Finding a way to keep your stamina up is really important on test day!

comsae E is the worst don't let it get you down!
Goodluck!

Honestly half the game changer is how your nerves are that very day. There will a bunch of wtf questions and the only way to tackle those questions is to have enough stamina and calm nerves. Don't do anything the day before cuz that wont change a dime, except for Chapman points, Cord levels and the bug flow diagram in FA

The word "high yield" doesnt apply to the COMLEX. There were random bioterror questions, and the neuro was mostly outside of First Aid and Pathoma.

It was a rough test but all said and done if I passed I'll be happy with it.
I think the "randomness" of the bioterrorism questions is too consistently complained about for it to be called random. I have started suggesting people to study it for comlex. There's a good chapter on bioterrorism in micro made ridiculously easy.

If this question is breaking any rules please just ignore it. But many people on here say that the most tested subjects are usually Micro/repro/neuro. Ive heard micro is straight forward if you know your facts. For repro and neuro, is it all pretty much just stuff you can find in first aid or are outside sources needed to score really well?

Is there any translation of COMSAE Scores to # incorrect? The report only shows the 3 digit score, unless I'm missing something. Not that it's that important but I'd kind of like to know how many I missed out of 200..

How much MSK on COMLEX 1 is not in FA?? Any suggestions would be great. Its barely anything in FA, and they say its a higher yield topic over cardio. Any suggestions would be great!

Has anyone taken COMSAE D or COMSAE E? I have heard that they are more like the actual COMLEX than forms A, B, and C. Was wondering what the topic focus of the D/E content was compared to A/B/C.