Official 2015 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realized no one made a thread for 2015 so decided to make one. Anyone take the January 6 or 22 test? There's a Feb date coming up soon too. How was it? What did you use to study and would recommend to future test-takers? Anything particularly high-yield? Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Form D 503 at the beginning of dedicated study.
Comlex 1 608. Honestly felt like I failed it walking out of the exam. Similar to others stories - lots of oby, weird anatomy, probably close to 20 cranial questions. Glad this beast is over and ready for the next journey to begin. Grats to all that passed!

Reactions: 1 user
They changed it this year and nbome graded our exams based on the average from last year's old exam. The score they posted on nbome is most likely our final grade but I just wanted them to double check their grading since they messed up alot of people's grades last year when they restructured the level 2 exam.

Where did you get this information? Don't they grade everyone based on the performance of each individual question, not entire exam average? That would make the most sense. So maybe many of these questions were experimental questions over the past few years that are now counted.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, NBOME are not planning on changing the scores. I sent them an email about my concerns with the grading but have not heard back from them yet.

Everything I posted on here are information that I got from talking to a representative from the NBOME client services. So I highly suggest everyone to give them a call to voice concern over your scores. If a bunch of us calls them than maybe they will reevaluate the scores just like how they did last year with level 2.

As of right now, NBOME are not planning on changing the scores. I sent them an email about my concerns with the grading but have not heard back from them yet.

Everything I posted on here are information that I got from talking to a representative from the NBOME client services. So I highly suggest everyone to give them a call to voice concern over your scores. If a bunch of us calls them than maybe they will reevaluate the scores just like how they did last year with level 2.

I'd call them over the test, not the scores. I think osteopathic students should have to take the USMLE and the COMLEX, with the COMLEX consisting only of OMM and related neurology... but you know what? They'd probably never do that because PDs wouldn't even look at the OMM grade and COMLEX would become another asterisk (like it should be anyway). It's the whole trying to force relevance crap that really totes mah goats. I passed with an average score, fwiw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think merging the two exams and having DO students take the OMM as a supplement was what was supposed to occur with the progressing merger between the two organizations, but then again everyone says different things and it gets difficult to understand what is true and false, so take with a grain of salt

Is there a consensus on which COMSAE is the best?
I was told that COMSAE C is the most accurate but I got 474 on it and 395 on COMLEX...so idk. They all suck. I emailed NBOME to allow me to purchase form D or E and they said to ask my school and my school said NBOME only allows them to purchase it en-masse for the whole class... Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?

Comlex is a crapshoot. Depends on what topics, questions etc you get tested on

I just took comsae C and 478... not sure if I should take the comlex on 8/18 or push it until 9/2. Thoughts?

If you're off rotations for a mandatory period of time, I'd take it at the end of that period. If you're rotating, near the beginning (depending on the rotation).

If you're off rotations for a mandatory period of time, I'd take it at the end of that period. If you're rotating, near the beginning (depending on the rotation).

I start FM on 8/24 so after that my study time will be heavily decreased. Not sure what to do I really wanted at least over 500 on my comsae before.

I start FM on 8/24 so after that my study time will be heavily decreased. Not sure what to do I really wanted at least over 500 on my comsae before.

I studied during the first week of our psych rotation and it was too much. Bumped the test date up three weeks and took it. Every school's policy on retakes seems to be different but maybe tailor your plan to it.

You may have failed because you were heavily tested on your weak areas. Buff those up and know your true average is higher than a 400 question sample. You've got two comsaes into the 450+ territory. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
NMBE 185 1 week out
USMLE- I chickened out and didn't take it. :scared:

COMSAE C
426 - 7 weeks out
COMSAE B 485 - 1 week out
COMLEX 1 528

This test was the hardest test I've ever sat through. I prayed many nights asking Jesus, to at least let me pass. Many of my classmates out performed they're COMSAE, but my homie, did the exact opposite. This test is a crap shoot, it all depends on what your strength and weaknesses are. If you're fortunate, you'll get most of what you know and a lil of what you don't know. If you're well rounded, than you'll probably rock boards.

Anyone taking 8/18?
I am taking the COMLEX on 08/18. I started studying again on 08/1, after a three week break from studies.

8.18 here. Guys no backing out now. Let's fxking do this and crush it. Take the test 1 question at a time and don't second guess urself unless u have an actual pathophys explaination as to why a different answer is better.

Wanna know what they call the worst student in medical school?
Doctor.
Doctor of osteopathy ;)

re-took comlex today. The variability in the test in believable. The test I took today was a 180 from the one I took 7/26. I felt much better afterward than I did the first time.

Reactions: 5 users
I took comlex on 08/18, it was the most difficult test I've ever taken. I am just hoping for a pass, and I am also preparing my mind for a retake.

I took comlex on 08/18, it was the most difficult test I've ever taken. I am just hoping for a pass, and I am also preparing my mind for a retake.
Could you please elaborate on 'DIFFICULT' ?More Neuro, OMM with super long vignettes or just the vagueness of the entire exam

the questions were vague and many extremely long question stems, however, I noticed that reading through some of the long question stems (not the lab values) makes it easier to figure out the correct answer. A lot of viscerosomatics and weird treatments that i've never heard about.

There was a lot more immunology and name that gene responsible for the disorder than what I was expecting. Got rescheduled to August from June of 2015 because of weather. Preparing my mind for a retake too because I wasn't able to prepare enough due to rotations. Pretty nervous about the outcome...

Last edited:

Try not to think negative. I felt the same way you did leaving my test, but I passed. Try not thinking about the retake or failing.

tbh theres no amount of "board prep" u can do. there was a solid number of stuff that was said "in passing" during random school lectures. study till ur comfortable and take it.

there's a good chance i failed, but i don't think studying more would have helped me.

iono if this makes sense

So the school required us to take a comsae (Comsae E) and asked to get 450+. I got around 425. My test is in one week and I am not sure what to do at the moment.

So the school required us to take a comsae (Comsae E) and asked to get 450+. I got around 425. My test is in one week and I am not sure what to do at the moment.

It just depends on how you feel but honestly I wouldn't take it until I was out of the danger zone especially with this year's test

How were your other comsaes?

This is the only one I took since the retake. I got 73% on the free nbme 150 q's. Just took nbme 15 and got 194 since it gives a better distribution of your weakness. Combank diagnostic was 79%

This is the only one I took since the retake. I got 73% on the free nbme 150 q's. Just took nbme 15 and got 194 since it gives a better distribution of your weakness. Combank diagnostic was 79%

What were the scores of previous comsaes? Were they close to 450s?

I wouldnt put too much money on a single comsae here. If your previous comsaes had been close to 450s, then i would take it.
What kind of question comlex throws at you, you never know. I would go ahead and take the second plunge and hope for the best.
One of the reasons is because i dont want to burn out and other is comlex is very unpredictable. So if your previous comsaes have been close to 450s, i would go for it (and chalk up my failed comlex to weird exam).
You can never prepare for weird exam, not in the time you have.

Rest is up to you. Dont let it beat you! Good luck!

I just called client services, and scores will not be released today. They generally don't post scores Fri-Sun, so Monday is the earliest one can hope for. The guy I talked to said they would probably let you know if you passed or not if you called tomorrow or over the weekend.

I just called client services, and scores will not be released today. They generally don't post scores Fri-Sun, so Monday is the earliest one can hope for. The guy I talked to said they would probably let you know if you passed or not if you called tomorrow or over the weekend.

Wow wtf? So we call them to know if we passed or not?

They said that to me as well. I tried calling but they said they can't disclose that info over the phone. They said best bet is on Monday.

Hey guys so I need some advice. Took comsae B and got 455 a few days ago. My retake for the COMLEX is wednesday 9/2. Just saw now that I can't reschedule (i think there are emergency reschedules for 180$ within 5 days and 225$ within 24hr...idk why nbome are so greedy). I basically have 3 and a half days to go over whatever stuff but I obviously don't think it's enough time at all...The first time I failed it I got 474 on comsae C and then ended up wit 395 on comlex (it was very heme and obgyn heavy so I think that killed me)...but I'm ok with micro and OMM. Not great with Neuro which I kinda wanna review in these days (do all the neuro comquest Qs)... I'm just scared to take it because of what happened last time I guess and the fear of failing it a second time (a 3rd fail gets me kicked out so...a 3rd attempt would be terrible with insane stress). What do you guys think? Yolo it Wednesday or postpone to some other ?