Official 2015 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realized no one made a thread for 2015 so decided to make one. Anyone take the January 6 or 22 test? There's a Feb date coming up soon too. How was it? What did you use to study and would recommend to future test-takers? Anything particularly high-yield? Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, please don't tell me they're another person who had an ~80 point drop from their last comsae..

I dropped about 100 points, but I know a few people who went up as much as 50 points

I didn't write it here but I took mine June 26 since that was the last day my school allowed. I waited got that email while I was at school and I was too nervous to check (had to give a presentation that day) and I waited, got no other email so I was confident I passed. Then I refresh my email and disaster, email from school advisor saying "we're sorry to hear you failed bla bla bla"...killed the mood.

In regards to your question: My school had a pretty significant increase in fail rate compared to last year. But I don't think they're contacting anyone. However, the good news (I guess) for those who are in panic mode, my advisor said that the national average stayed pretty much the same despite the restandardization of the comlex (or whatever they did to it). So nationally the grades stayed the same. On the other hand, this means NBOME probably won't change anything in the grades so don't get your hopes up. Also that $50 regrading fee should only be paid if something happened to your computer during the exam (it turned off or they moved you to another computer, etc). I paid it and lost the money for no reason.

Agreed the $50 fee is useless. I too fell into the trap but I couldn't believe my score so I figured there had to be some sort of error... but nope

I think it is central. But I'm surprised it's taking this long since last round was released roughly a week early.
So have they even clarified if they're releasing our scores today? Currently planning on skipping my EKG lecture at 5pm eastern time cause this waiting is making me freak out

So have they even clarified if they're releasing our scores today? Currently planning on skipping my EKG lecture at 5pm eastern time cause this waiting is making me freak out

Online on their site is said Aug 6th to the 10th is when they would be released. I hope they don't delay the release...

Few pages back they said they won't be released to 5:30 today most likely so try to do something till after dinner I suppose

Reactions: 1 user
Been lurking... I just received a 'pass' notification in the nbome layout. Good luck to all those waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
23 points lower than comsae C, taken a week before my exam. I'll take it. Happy just to have passed!

I scored 27 points higher than highest comsae. It's a range broseph(ina?)! I hope you passed!

Scored 50 pts higher than my COMSAE average, and 17 pts higher than my best COMSAE !!

Not an elite score but I am happy with it :D

Did anyone get higher than their Comsae? This is freakin depressing
I scored 20 points higher than my highest comsae

COMSAE D: 651
COMSAE C: 560 (this was 1 month after D, and 3 days before my test)
COMLEX I: 671

Good luck to everyone else waiting for scores!!!

Reactions: 1 users
This ended up being so true, I had a large spread but my entire bar on OPP was above borderline so hoorah!
Same here. My worst subject was consistently OMM and the bar was above borderline. The test asked OMM as the 3rd step in a 3-step question, like you had to know the symptoms and path before being able to pick the correct chapman's point.

Horrible test, grateful for the nearly exact average score.

congrats guys! glad to see some folks getting above comsae avg. Gives me hope. My wait is till the end of the month :(

Passed, didn't do as well as I would have liked but scored 20 pt's higher than my COMSAE D. Definitely had an awkward exam, lots of random wtf questions and weird anatomy and OBGYN. OMM was always my worst section and I somehow managed to get part of my bar above the "borderline" part so I am happy about that. Felt okay walking out of the exam, just happy that I did pass and got over a 500. Gluck to everyone taking this ridiculous exam next year.

and thanks for the posts, they helped a ton!
Wrote COMLEX this week and figured I'd sign up and write a reply since this forum has been helpful!
COMSAE B: high 500s, couple months ago
D: low 600s, a month ago
NBME avg for the newest 3 was low 250s
UW 2x, 1000 COMBANK qs (mostly OMM, neuro, MSK), and 1000 Rx qs
FA more times than I can keep track, and some pathoma, not much really.
Savarese 2x but never did the questions in the back

After reading this forum I was hoping and praying I wouldn't get the OMMneuroMSK heavy one because those have never my fav. The first two sets were really straight forward (endocrine, neuro, repro), I think I marked 8-10 and even felt pretty confident about those. I thought I had escaped the form of doom, but I was wrong. The final 6 sections had to have been about 75% OMMneuroMSK. Of those I felt confident with just over half.

Neuro/MSK was either straight forward (FA) or classic presentations, but asking the oddest things about mechanisms. I really don't know how I would have studied differently other than to know a little better exactly where every cranial nerve goes in relation to EVERY freaking brain structure... and which cranial nerve would be "most affected" given a location of pathology. Know dermatomes, spinal tracts, sensory and motor of extremities was straight forward and high yield for mine. Had 10ish videos.

OMM was either straight out of Savarese or... not. Had like 10ish viscerosomatic questions which were easy points, I think i may have mixed up parasymp and sympathetics a couple times (idiot!). A couple of random special tests that I lucked out having looked over the day before, I had about 7-9 treatment position questions which weren't bad, a couple were random but if you stayed awake for half of OMM lab you should be ok. Handful of cranial questions- easy. The hard ones for me were super long ridiculous patient histories after which they would give you like 6 bullet points of different OMM findings and then ask WHY is something happening. Then I would have to tease through answers A-E which all had OMMish answers that sounded legit, but there's just no way to be confident about an answer. My advice would be to just stick to green book and then hope for the best haha. I always performed well on OMM exams in school and some of these board questions just take it to a whole new level of sucky.

Repro was another huge chunk of mine and seemed unnecessarily vague and annoying. Stick to FA... pathoma helped on a couple as well.

GI was, again, classic cases but asking weird, vague mechanisms... what is the main reason for nausea, diarrhea, etc. And you have to pick the answer that sounds the least dumb.

Micro: i had 5 gram stains and presentation gave you little help... not too bad. Several weird bugs I've never heard of before. 1 antibiotic question on my whole exam which I was pissed about... what a waste. Know your bug vectors! Virology was super low yield on mine while zoonotics, parasites, and fungi were equal in representation to classic bacteria. Some classic bacteria but you had to recognize classifications that aren't in FA, but were in UW.

Endocrine: a good portion of mine, if you know FA you'll get them all
Renal: maybe 3 questions... waste
Biochem: 2 questions... waste
Behavioral: a handful, 2 simple calculations
Cardio: just basic physiology, a couple EKGs that were straightforward
Heme: just a couple, basic
Resp: a couple tricky mechanism questions but FA will get you where you need to be... COPD/restrictive.. and then the FA table with lung sounds, percussion findings is obviously important
Psych: know FA, easy points.
Pharm: of all the freaking drugs I know I was asked side effects of two of the most random drugs in the world and just took a shot in the dark, missed them both... sigh. Pharm was really low yield on mine.

The most difficult part of this exam is that the questions for the OMMneuroMSK take forever long to read and I just lost too much time reading/re-reading patient presentations. Didn't have time to take breaks other than my lunch so I was feeling pretty burnt out on sections 4 and 8 especially when after you answer 3 vague neuroOMM hybrid questions in a row and you are hoping your next question is going to be on medicine and lo and behold its another ridiculously long neuroOMM question. I was smiling through the second half of the exam at the ridiculousness of it all. I walked in hoping for 600+, walked out hoping for 500+... felt like they switched out my medical boards exam for chiropractics boards.

Sorry for longest post in SDN hx, but it will probably be 1 of very few from me haha, hope it helps at least one person. Post my score in a few weeks!

Last edited:
I'm the rare one that scored a 527 on Comsae C but failed comlex 1 with a 397. How can there be such a huge drop? Is it due to whatever new reevaluation thing that they did this year?

I did the $50 score confirmation and sent them an email about it. Still waiting for a reply.

I'm the rare one that scored a 527 on Comsae C but failed comlex 1 with a 397. How can there be such a huge drop? Is it due to whatever new reevaluation thing that they did this year?

I did the $50 score confirmation and sent them an email about it. Still waiting for a reply.

So sorry to hear this. I'm not at all sure what they will be doing this year, but if you take a look at my poll in another thread you can see that out of about 50 people, there were nearly 50% that scored 25-100+ less on the real deal than they did on their COMSAEs, with 15% of people scoring greater than 100 pts less. In my opinion that is more than coincidence, and more likely a problem with the COMLEX format which tends to focus very heavily on a few subjects rather than the entire subject matter of M1/M2. At the same time I cannot help but feel as though the COMSAEs should be held to higher standards and provide better predictability like the NBMEs do, after all, they cost pretty much the same amount of money.

Congrats to those of you who did well!

Chin up bro! I'm in the same situation. It sucks. Don't put much hope in the regrade. It's basically a donation but I would probably pay again just cause its so close. I got 395 so I know how you feel. I'm studying again for it now and it's def not easy (esp when you get snapchats and fb posts from all your classmates that are in rotations). But it's not the end of the world, just a bump in the road. Study again and good luck! At least now we know what to expect (sort of)

Kinda disappointed, but without number dropping (I'm ashamed), I passed with a score only 16 points higher than my singular COMSAE which was almost 6 weeks prior. Not sure how that happens....

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

I spoke with a representative from NBOME and he told me that they haven't gotten the averages for the July level 1 exams yet and should get it next month. So I asked him how they're grading our exams since they don't have a national average yet. He told me that our scores were compared to the average scores from last year. That doesn't make sense since they restructured the level 1 exams this year (confirmed by him, John from client services) so how can they compare our scores to last year scores when the exams were completely different. He couldn't give me an answer and told me to email [email protected] with further questions.

I think we should all email them if you have any doubt about your scores. They might have messed up our grades like how they messed up last years level 2 exams since they did the exact same restructuring and they were through that whole debacle.

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke with a representative from NBOME and he told me that they haven't gotten the averages for the July level 1 exams yet and should get it next month. So I asked him how they're grading our exams since they don't have a national average yet. He told me that our scores were compared to the average scores from last year. That doesn't make sense since they restructured the level 1 exams this year (confirmed by him, John from client services) so how can they compare our scores to last year scores when the exams were completely different. He couldn't give me an answer and told me to email [email protected] with further questions.

I think we should all email them if you have any doubt about your scores. They might have messed up our grades like how they messed up last years level 2 exams since they did the exact same restructuring and they were through that whole debacle.

So they finalized everything for June? :(

I wonder if the questions they compared were 'experimental' last year?

I'm not sure if they finalized things for June or not. You should call them to find out. It doesn't hurt to voice our opinions about the exam.

what do you guys mean finalize the scores? Do they change after the initial scores they give us?

The scores that they post are your final scores. When I said before was due to the new restructured level 1. They changed it this year and nbome graded our exams based on the average from last year's old exam. The score they posted on nbome is most likely our final grade but I just wanted them to double check their grading since they messed up alot of people's grades last year when they restructured the level 2 exam.

The scores that they post are your final scores. When I said before was due to the new restructured level 1. They changed it this year and nbome graded our exams based on the average from last year's old exam. The score they posted on nbome is most likely our final grade but I just wanted them to double check their grading since they messed up alot of people's grades last year when they restructured the level 2 exam.

Again, how do you know they scored it against the entire 2014 test and not a few ungraded 'experimental' sections from last year? I've heard the LSAT has roughly 1/4 of the exam exempted from grading to allow integration the following year.

The representative said they scored our exams based on last years average. Take what you will from that but I assumed it means the entire 2014 exam.

The representative said they scored our exams based on last years average. Take what you will from that but I assumed it means the entire 2014 exam.

It would probably be a mixture of old and new, come to think of it. These exams are garbage imo. I wouldn't stake my value as a physician on this test in any way. Anyone who does is likely a toolbag.