COMLEX Official 2014 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccc2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Comlex, so decided to create one. The one for level 1 was really helpful, PLEASE share your experiences taking this exam and study methods. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

LOL i thought the same thing...we're not the crazy ones...I saw a couple on there that I thought were definitely wrong! It's sad when the actual NBOME website can't make the effort to provide correct answers

Ok I'm glad I'm not the crazy one, thanks for reassurance! There was also one with some meds that I think were spelled wrong and when I googled some of the answers they didn't even really come up and they weren't in medscape. Ugh.

What do you guys suggest doing in the last week or 2 before the exam? I haven't finished one book for this at all. I don't think reading step up to step 2 is going to be practical as it is going to be just too much. I am working 8-5PM starting monday for next month too.

Just need a consolidated view of everything...any suggestions?

Was contemplating just doing all of comquest on tutor mode. not sure tho

FYI: My score is scheduled to be released Aug 5th-18th. I called NBOME to ask if they had an exact date set for releasing the scores (yes, I've gotten to the point where I'm so sick of waiting that I actually called) ...they told me it is going to be closer to the 18th. Much frustration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Early June PE results are streaming in. CE results begin early next week. Last few hurdles to becoming a doc. Tis the season everybody....Cheers!

anyone have any flashcards that are online that wouldn't mind sharing? i'm finding it tedious taking my physical flashcards to work and dropping them lol. need something to peruse on my phone in between patients lol thanks

Ok for anyone out there who is still studying, here's my feedback as I took the exam today.

It wasn't that terrible. I personally studied a lot due to my circumstances and I've never taken the USMLE, so I know the questions on the comlex are very vague, but it wasn't too horrible with too much randomness. I didn't have the urge to punch the computer :)

I actually had a good mix of questions outside of the norm of peds and ob/gyn. An ok amount of heart/lung questions, a few pretty easy endocrine and derm. I was surprised that barely any of my questions asked about medication/treatment. I think I maybe had 1 question on the whole thing where I had to decide which medicine to choose outside of a few pneumonia, uti and meningitis questions. So know your antibiotics. The questions were mostly what's the next step or how do you diagnose.

I only had ONE chapman's reflex question. Was hoping for some more easy points with that because I had those memorized cold. Other than that, they were ok OMM questions. Only one cranial and the rest was random stuff that wasn't too horribly challenging if you studied for it. I had several tenderpoint and counterstrain questions, which I didn't really know, but that's probably my fault for not paying close attention to those chapters.

I had 1-2 biostats questions per section. Half of them were easy, the other half would've been easy if I would've taken the time to memorize ALL of the formulas.

I used both combank and comquest and completed both. I think they both definitely had exact questions that showed up on my exam that I would've definitely gotten wrong.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head, but if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer. Good luck to those that still have to take it!

I called a few days ago as well and was told the same date range, except they said mine would be released closer to the 5th. Which day did you take your COMLEX? Mine was late June.
I took mine on July 3rd. Seeing that the PE results came out today I'm hoping they'll release the scores next week Monday or Tuesday. I hate waiting!

Ok for anyone out there who is still studying, here's my feedback as I took the exam today.

It wasn't that terrible. I personally studied a lot due to my circumstances and I've never taken the USMLE, so I know the questions on the comlex are very vague, but it wasn't too horrible with too much randomness. I didn't have the urge to punch the computer :)

I actually had a good mix of questions outside of the norm of peds and ob/gyn. An ok amount of heart/lung questions, a few pretty easy endocrine and derm. I was surprised that barely any of my questions asked about medication/treatment. I think I maybe had 1 question on the whole thing where I had to decide which medicine to choose outside of a few pneumonia, uti and meningitis questions. So know your antibiotics. The questions were mostly what's the next step or how do you diagnose.

I only had ONE chapman's reflex question. Was hoping for some more easy points with that because I had those memorized cold. Other than that, they were ok OMM questions. Only one cranial and the rest was random stuff that wasn't too horribly challenging if you studied for it. I had several tenderpoint and counterstrain questions, which I didn't really know, but that's probably my fault for not paying close attention to those chapters.

I had 1-2 biostats questions per section. Half of them were easy, the other half would've been easy if I would've taken the time to memorize ALL of the formulas.

I used both combank and comquest and completed both. I think they both definitely had exact questions that showed up on my exam that I would've definitely gotten wrong.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head, but if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer. Good luck to those that still have to take it!
What was your combank avg if u don't mind me asking.

Posted using SDN Mobile

So...About that score release....Probably going to need to buy replacement "Ctrl" and "R" keys for my keyboard from refreshing the NBOME site, this thread, the NBOME Facebook page and the score report page so many times.

So...About that score release....Probably going to need to buy replacement "Ctrl" and "R" keys for my keyboard from refreshing the NBOME site, this thread, the NBOME Facebook page and the score report page so many times.
No score release today per some lady at nbome...

What was your combank avg if u don't mind me asking.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I believe I was at 72.5% untimed.

Oh and I didn't have a problem with the timing on the test either except for 1 section in which it didn't have any of the combined questions. Every other section had the combined questions and I was fine. At the end I had 35 minutes left and reviewed all of my questions on the last section.

Some question stems were really long, but had a lot of unnecessary info. Like blah blah blah describing a patient with an appendicitis, then the question at the end was "what's the chapman's reflex for appendicitis?" I liked those questions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Eagle's score release theory: On the NBOME website, the whole "8-10 weeks" delay for the new minimum passing score makes me think scores will be released on August 18th. If they're collectively looking at a large group of tests (June 25-July 21), then they'll collectively release all these scores once they get what they need out of them--the new minimum score.

Hopefully, they'll have squeezed the juice out of these tests earlier than the 18th and throw us the orange before then.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sleeping much lately. How can they be doing this to us. It's been weeks since I took the test on June 25th. Only took 3 weeks for Step I. :(

why dont you guys just wait for the email and do something else the meantime

Reactions: 3 users
It's not like those who are venting/commenting have been waiting at the NBOME login site for the past 168 hours in a row hitting refresh. Everyone is doing something else in the meantime, except taking 1 minute out of their day to comment on here. Score release could be as early as 4 weeks post exam, or up to 10 weeks after due to new pass/fail criteria. That 6 week gap, especially to someone with a more obsessive personality, is brutal.

Best comment on SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to jump in and add to the speculation I predict that they will release the scores tomorrow at 3:30pm ET, based on the fact that the next day is the first day of the release cycle for Step 1 and 3 and they will likely want to be done with Step 2 to then move on to generating the reports for the the other 2 exams. If I am right you can call me the Nostradamus of the NBOME, if I'm wrong it is because they read this post and are trying to mock me....

Reactions: 1 users
i predict friday...seriously tho this is rediculous..why does it take so long to grade a damnnn exam, usmle went thru a score change too, how did they get their scores out in a nice and prompt fashion.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to jump in and add to the speculation I predict that they will release the scores tomorrow at 3:30pm ET, based on the fact that the next day is the first day of the release cycle for Step 1 and 3 and they will likely want to be done with Step 2 to then move on to generating the reports for the the other 2 exams. If I am right you can call me the Nostradamus of the NBOME, if I'm wrong it is because they read this post and are trying to mock me....

Really hoping it is tomorrow but I have a feeling they will make us wait until the 18th. Ugh.

I called today and asked about when our scores will be released. The lady I spoke with said that it will be before or on the 18th and that they typically don’t release scores on a Friday or weekend. So I’m guessing today, tomorrow, or Monday...

The scores won't be released by Aug 18. It says it will take 8-10 weeks, rather than the usual 4-6 weeks.

*With the pass-fail standards for the COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE under current review, it is anticipated that a new passing cut point determination may be implemented by the NBOME for the new COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE testing cycle effective June 1, 2014. In the event that a new passing standard is established at that time, a minor delay in COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE score release for the first several months of the testing cycle may occur, i.e., June through August, 2014. This delay would be dependent on a number of factors outside of the control of the NBOME, including candidate testing volume during this time period. Rather than the usual score reporting within 4-6 weeks of examination administration, scores will likely be released within 8-10 weeks of test administration.

The scores won't be released by Aug 18. It says it will take 8-10 weeks, rather than the usual 4-6 weeks.

*With the pass-fail standards for the COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE under current review, it is anticipated that a new passing cut point determination may be implemented by the NBOME for the new COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE testing cycle effective June 1, 2014. In the event that a new passing standard is established at that time, a minor delay in COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE score release for the first several months of the testing cycle may occur, i.e., June through August, 2014. This delay would be dependent on a number of factors outside of the control of the NBOME, including candidate testing volume during this time period. Rather than the usual score reporting within 4-6 weeks of examination administration, scores will likely be released within 8-10 weeks of test administration.

Yes and if you look, you can see the date ranges for score release below that information. I took my exam June 27 and have waited over 7 weeks already.

Thanks for all the bolding but I'll take the nbome's word over the phone that it will be on or before aug 18.

Fear not my little shirelings, a messenger of Mordor has reassured me that the hostages will be released for an absolute certainty by Monday, with a hopeful glimmer that we might even be united with them tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure y'all pay attention to the new standard deviation (62), makes a world a difference interpreting your score

My level 2 is 40 points lower than my level 1, but is the same percentile.

SD for my level 1 was 81.

My step 1 says the SD was 82...so that is ALOT tighter. That alone pretty much explains my fall off from step 1 to step 2

Wow, I took Comsae B 3 weeks before my test and I scored 60
points less on the real test. I completely bombed this test. Oh well, hopefully my USMLE is better.