Official 2014-2015 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope everyone gets their letter in time to apply on 15th.
Some doubts-
1> How does one get non ACGME accredited fellowships if one does not match?
2> Is it too late in December to get hospitalist job if one does not match on December 3?
3> How much research is needed to get good number of fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

not too late for hospitalist job, but depends on what visa, if it is J1 waiver, then might be late, if non cap exempt h1 i don't know. In general never to late

quick question. If all our letter are not uploaded (example only 2 out of 4), can we still apply to programs and then just add the 2 leeters later once uploaded to prevent delay in applying? or do all 4 letters need to be uploaded before applying to programs

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question. If all our letter are not uploaded (example only 2 out of 4), can we still apply to programs and then just add the 2 leeters later once uploaded to prevent delay in applying? or do all 4 letters need to be uploaded before applying to programs
Yes...just like the last time you did this, you can apply as soon as your CAF is done.

Yes...just like the last time you did this, you can apply as soon as your CAF is done.

what is CAF? so i can still apply and upload letters after received?. thanks!

Found on JHU cards fellowship website

Required Documents
The following supporting documents should be submitted via the ERAS program:
  • ERAS Application
  • Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • Official Medical School Transcript
  • USMLE Transcripts (at least Steps 1&2)
  • Personal Statement
  • Three (3) letters of recommendation, including one from your program director. Please note: the ERAS system can accommodate up to 4 recommendation letters.

Not sure how to interpret last paragraph.

Found on JHU cards fellowship website

Required Documents
The following supporting documents should be submitted via the ERAS program:
  • ERAS Application
  • Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • Official Medical School Transcript
  • USMLE Transcripts (at least Steps 1&2)
  • Personal Statement
  • Three (3) letters of recommendation, including one from your program director. Please note: the ERAS system can accommodate up to 4 recommendation letters.

Not sure how to interpret last paragraph.
That means 3 for sure, but you can send upto 4. No program will reject our app if we submit 4 letters (which each programs knows is standard these days)

Is there any role for lising future cardiology rotations (example in August) in the CAF.

Last edited:
Is there any role for lising future cardiology rotations (example in August) in the CAF.
If I were on your place, I probably wouldn't. Of course if it was CHF/transplant/Vascular medicine fellowship (starting July 2014), that would make a lot of sense. e.g. I have done 3 weeks rotations in EP at a prestigious place 2 years ago, but I haven't even mentioned anywhere in my CAF as I felt this was irrelevant.

I feel doing a rotation is a relatively small thing, and a "future" rotation is of even less value. But, lets see if someone feels otherwise.

If I were on your place, I probably wouldn't. Of course if it was CHF/transplant/Vascular medicine fellowship (starting July 2014), that would make a lot of sense. e.g. I have done 3 weeks rotations in EP at a prestigious place 2 years ago, but I haven't even mentioned anywhere in my CAF as I felt this was irrelevant.

I feel doing a rotation is a relatively small thing, and a "future" rotation is of even less value. But, lets see if someone feels otherwise.

I probably will forgo it. I agree it adds very little value and might be considered CV padding
However I am surprised that you arent adding away rotations (for example your EP rotation). I personally think it sets the ball rolling to have a discussion about attendings we may know in common. Also it is one of the ways for me to demonstrate that I am interested in going to a particular region to the extent that I did a rotation there. And also I got letters from those rotations so I feel its weird to not list those experience
Any thoughts on listing away electives in the specialty ?

I hope everyone gets their letter in time to apply on 15th.
Some doubts-
1> How does one get non ACGME accredited fellowships if one does not match?
2> Is it too late in December to get hospitalist job if one does not match on December 3?
3> How much research is needed to get good number of fellowship?

1. In my experience, they are found by either hearsay or just plain googling yourself. Ive come to realize that they are everywhere but just not advertised. You have to ask.

2. You can get a hospitalist job at any time if theyre hiring. There's no cycle.

3. You can do zero research or a lot and get a fellowship. It's just one factor in my experience. For example, an AMG with good letters, good med school/residency can land a fellowship with just a stupid poster presentation at a conference. Ive seen this happen. Again, it's just one factor. If you are an IMG then having more research is in your favor.

I probably will forgo it. I agree it adds very little value and might be considered CV padding
However I am surprised that you arent adding away rotations (for example your EP rotation). I personally think it sets the ball rolling to have a discussion about attendings we may know in common. Also it is one of the ways for me to demonstrate that I am interested in going to a particular region to the extent that I did a rotation there. And also I got letters from those rotations so I feel its weird to not list those experience
Any thoughts on listing away electives in the specialty ?
I would list away electives etc, if you have something substantial e.g letters to show. For me, I have nothing to add other than just listing the away rotation experience. Highlighting the experience by mentioning about it but not including a letter from that rotation is a red flag in my opinion. I review applications for residency program and this is how we were judging applicants. Honestly, I feel my app has a lot more things to highlight (chief residency, research fellowship, publications etc.), that is also a factor for not including my 3 weeks EP rotation. Moreover, I am hoping to get an interview from that program anyways as one of the faculty in my cards dept. knows the PD very well and I happen to meet PD during ACC 2014. :)

Please keep me posted!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. In my experience, they are found by either hearsay or just plain googling yourself. Ive come to realize that they are everywhere but just not advertised. You have to ask.

2. You can get a hospitalist job at any time if theyre hiring. There's no cycle.

3. You can do zero research or a lot and get a fellowship. It's just one factor in my experience. For example, an AMG with good letters, good med school/residency can land a fellowship with just a stupid poster presentation at a conference. Ive seen this happen. Again, it's just one factor. If you are an IMG then having more research is in your favor.

Exactly, know many AMGs doing fellowship in top tier programs with only 1 pub or poster (not first author), but they have heavy weight people lobbying for them…..

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any place to enter information if one is a reviewer for a journal in ERAS Application. I am not sure where to include it. Best thoughts I had was in the misc. section under awards and accomplishments?

I would prefer it to appear more prominently and higher up in the CV. Anyone having similar issue?

Thanks in advance.

Is there any place to enter information if one is a reviewer for a journal in ERAS Application. I am not sure where to include it. Best thoughts I had was in the misc. section under awards and accomplishments?

I would prefer it to appear more prominently and higher up in the CV. Anyone having similar issue?

Thanks in advance.
Also waiting for the answer above.

Do I need a California letter to apply to the California programs?

Honestly, I don't know the most accurate answer, but I have tried my best to figure it out and it appears that if you are "fully" licensed in other state, you don't need one. Otherwise if are applying with temp license, then you do.

I have called and emailed multiple CA programs and unfortunately the programs have no idea as well (which is kind of bizarre as well).

Thanks.

I was working prior to my research fellowship in California. I was on a VISA and had got CA Medical license without any trouble. If you have a valid green card or are a citizen no worries what so ever. Most and probably all California Programs dont sponsor VISAS, but there are always exceptions to that.

I would definitely apply and try ones luck though, no harm in applying!

Once you get accepted to any California program you should promptly apply for CA License, and be prepared to join on J1 if needed.

Hope I was of some help.

I was working prior to my research fellowship in California. I was on a VISA and had got CA Medical license without any trouble. If you have a valid green card or are a citizen no worries what so ever. Most and probably all California Programs dont sponsor VISAS, but there are always exceptions to that.

I would definitely apply and try ones luck though, no harm in applying!

Once you get accepted to any California program you should promptly apply for CA License, and be prepared to join on J1 if needed.

Hope I was of some help.

This is from MBC website

International medical graduates (IMGs) who are not yet eligible for licensure and wish to participate in postgraduate training in California must apply to the Board for a Postgraduate Authorization Training Letter (PTAL), which must be issued prior to commencing training in California.

An IMG must complete 24 months of training to be eligible for licensure; the final 12 months used towards eligibility must be continuous and in a single program. Further, an IMG must be licensed by the end of the 36th month of training. In calculating these months, the Board counts all approved training in the US (ACGME) or Canada (RCPSC), whether or not credit was granted

I guess that clarifies everything.

thanks a lot, definitely applying

I'm sure it was addressed before but can't find it now, do you guys upload MSPE and transcript? I have not seen a program that requires it.

Last edited:
I'm sure it was addressed before but can't find it now, do you guys upload MSPE and transcript? I have not seen a program that requires it.

If you have one why not upload it. If you are US Medical Grad you should ask your school to upload it. They should have one from the residency application in your file.

Hi all, quick question. Are you guys writing your submitted manuscripts in ERAS CV? (ERAS does give you an option to do that, the drop down menu contain option for "submitted") I heard mixed reviews about it.

Would be interesting to see what gutonc thinks...:)

I don't have any of these, but I think you should write them.

Hi all, quick question. Are you guys writing your submitted manuscripts in ERAS CV? (ERAS does give you an option to do that, the drop down menu contain option for "submitted") I heard mixed reviews about it.

Would be interesting to see what gutonc thinks...:)

It won't hurt u. If anything an interviewer might be interested in the title and might trigger a discussion. I put down accepted and submitted. The fellowship recruiters aren't dumb. I don't think they place any importance on "submitted articles" other than acknowledge that u are trying to publish which is still good.

It won't hurt u. If anything an interviewer might be interested in the title and might trigger a discussion. I put down accepted and submitted. The fellowship recruiters aren't dumb. I don't think they place any importance on "submitted articles" other than acknowledge that u are trying to publish which is still good.
Thanks. I will likely add it too. But as I mentioned, people who were against it were pretty irritated even with the idea of it. They said submitted doesn't mean anything as it doesn't hold any value because you could even write "submitted to NEJM, Nature"….

Thanks.

Hi I know I am in the wrong thread but mine seems to be sleeping.I just wanted to know that I have book chapters already published for 2015 however eras is not letting me add that as it is a future date.Please help as to where to put them and they are a bunch.Thanks!

New
Hi I know I am in the wrong thread but mine seems to be sleeping.I just wanted to know that I have book chapters already published for 2015 however eras is not letting me add that as it is a future date.Please help as to where to put them and they are a bunch.Thanks!
A moment agoEditReport
+ QuoteReply

New
A moment agoEditReport
+ QuoteReply
That one is tricky. I don't think there is a way around it. However, I would probably select July 2014 date in ERAS and then explain it somewhere in your ERAS application (under research section or accomplishments and put a real date there). It feels awkward to list random dates, but on the other hand faculty who is reviewing applications have very little time to take out the meaning of everything.

Thanks! Do you think it would be appropriate to mention under accomplishments with some kind of heading? 'New book chapters for 2015'? I worry if I put a random date I have heard they check your publications before ranking you?

Thanks! Do you think it would be appropriate to mention under accomplishments with some kind of heading? 'New book chapters for 2015'? I worry if I put a random date I have heard they check your publications before ranking you?
Thats a really good idea. That should work well, if you put it under accomplishments….not sure if they check your pubs before ranking you?

Good luck.

I guess some of us are on the same boat not having all the LORs uploaded. In previous years consensus was to apply ASAP and add letters later as they become available. However in view of what I found on ERAS website (below) I'm not sure it is still possible.

How do I change a document assignment?
Prior to applying to programs you may change document assignments. After you have applied to programs, your document selections are locked and may not be changed with the exception of your personal statement.

Any ideas? Seriously, can sending application few days latter hurt you?

I guess some of us are on the same boat not having all the LORs uploaded. In previous years consensus was to apply ASAP and add letters later as they become available. However in view of what I found on ERAS website (below) I'm not sure it is still possible.

How do I change a document assignment?
Prior to applying to programs you may change document assignments. After you have applied to programs, your document selections are locked and may not be changed with the exception of your personal statement.

Any ideas? Seriously, can sending application few days latter hurt you?

Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this refers to the fact that you cannot de-assign LOR's after you apply. I'm in the same boat (waiting on a 4th LOR, which will hopefully be uploaded at some point this week). I believe we should still be able to add that last LOR once it's uploaded.

Can anyone suggest.
For 3 letters other than PD
I have two good ones from cardiologist with research project with them
For the third I am confused if I should get from phd mentor before residency basic research or a cardiologist from residency who can comment on my clinical experience
Any suggestions appreciated

Can anyone suggest.
For 3 letters other than PD
I have two good ones from cardiologist with research project with them
For the third I am confused if I should get from phd mentor before residency basic research or a cardiologist from residency who can comment on my clinical experience
Any suggestions appreciated
At least 2 of the letters, preferably 3 should be clinical.

u can add letters afterwards. I did that in the past when my PD did not write his letter on time.

i think you just add the letter spot in the application, even though empty, and then it is uploaded automatically, i don't remember

sending application later does not hurt u; the programs review them later, just we don't know when

Wrong forum, I know, but no response from the rheum forum...
I have 4 LORS, and really don't want to submit 4 unless I have to. I looked at program websites, and most don't even have updated websites, let alone requirements.
Should I wing it and submit 3, or will that put me out of the running if the program wanted 4?

Wrong forum, I know, but no response from the rheum forum...
I have 4 LORS, and really don't want to submit 4 unless I have to. I looked at program websites, and most don't even have updated websites, let alone requirements.
Should I wing it and submit 3, or will that put me out of the running if the program wanted 4?

If you have reservation about a letter then don't submit it.
If you have positive feeling about all 4 letters then there is no reason not to want to submit because it wont help you.

Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this refers to the fact that you cannot de-assign LOR's after you apply. I'm in the same boat (waiting on a 4th LOR, which will hopefully be uploaded at some point this week). I believe we should still be able to add that last LOR once it's uploaded.

Yes u cant de-assign a letter. However if you submit three letters you still have a spot for a 4th letter and can upload when ready. This is my understanding so far