Official 2013 Anesthesiology Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I matched fully...won't sleep until Friday.

It was a bittersweet day because there were some big wins for some people that I wasn't sure would match, and some huge daggers/surprises for people I was almost certain would match. Can't really celebrate with friends that are in a tough spot. :(

One of the programs on the categorical unfilled list blew my mind [not that it went unfilled, but simply the # of unfilled spots and perceived prestige of the program].

To be fair this assumes that the gentleman/woman that posted the unfilled programs earlier was actually legitimate.

Ya I was surprised by that one too, considering they haven't had a problem filling their huge class for the past few years. The list was legit.

It was a bittersweet day for me too w/a couple of my buddies not matching...hope the SOAP works out for them..

Members don't see this ad.

Late to the party
Fully matched as of this morning

Iowa
Case uh
Upenn
Harbor ucla
Nymc westchester
Temple
St lukes
Maimonides

More later. Some very trenchant commentary in this thread regarding real world decisions and strategy errors. It didn't end up hurting me, but I didn't spend enough time researching and targeting prelim/ty programs to apply to. I assumed I would be able to get interviews in a competitive region (socal) and that was a mistake. By the time I realized, it was too late.

I would love to hear more about some of the decision making process any of you went through in deciding your lists

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Late to the party
Fully matched as of this morning

Iowa
Case uh
Upenn
Harbor ucla
Nymc westchester
Temple
St lukes
Maimonides

More later. Some very trenchant commentary in this thread regarding real world decisions and strategy errors. It didn't end up hurting me, but I didn't spend enough time researching and targeting prelim/ty programs to apply to. I assumed I would be able to get interviews in a competitive region (socal) and that was a mistake. By the time I realized, it was too late.

I would love to hear more about some of the decision making process any of you went through in deciding your lists

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SDN Mobile

So you didn't match at a prelim and you scrambled in already? :confused:

I really don't understand why they make the people who matched completely wait to find out where until Friday...it's not like that knowledge is going to somehow harm anyone else or jeopardize the SOAP...the result is set in stone now.

Is the NRMP just lazy/trying to keep it simple by telling everyone all at once on Friday? Or is there some other reason?

Silly you, trying to understand why the NRMP does anything it does.

The answer is probably fairly simple... they want everyone to be able to celebrate together.

I agree with this. Most medical schools have an event where everyone finds out. This allows most of the SOAP participants to still "celebrate" with their class and attend the event.

So you didn't match at a prelim and you scrambled in already? :confused:

No - sorry if that was unclear
let me 'splain
I am matched - full stop. No SOAP necessary. My post was about the vulnerabilities in my rank list. Vulnerabilities, it turns out, that did not matter.
Here is how I screwed up - going into the match, I had just one TY program that I could rank in my supplemental list for the advanced programs on my main rank list. And that program was pretty competitive. So, there was a pretty good chance that had I matched into an advanced program, I would have had to scramble for a first year spot.

As of now, I either matched into a categorical program, or I got lucky and matched into my only TY option and an advanced programs. But I've been sweating bullets about having to SOAP for a first year spot for a couple of months. Had I to do it over, I would have spent more time researching my situation vis a vis prelim year programs, like potential road blocks to DOs in socal programs, the amount of competition for those prelim spots, and I should have considered surgical prelims). anxiety sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cost of living, family friendly type stuff, and I had a really good experience on my NYMC interview. My wife wants to be able to stop working and take care of our kid. Manhattan with a newborn, two dogs, and a single income seemed like a recipe for starvation/credit card debt. NYMC seemed to have a really complete program, and living in weschester was an order of magnitude cheaper. And i have a high tolerance for driving, so the long commutes between different sites doesn't bother me.

Whew. SOAPed into a surg prelim at a decent program. Not close to my advanced program, but it's not terribly far from my parents. So all is well, and now I'm fully matched :)

Whew. SOAPed into a surg prelim at a decent program. Not close to my advanced program, but it's not terribly far from my parents. So all is well, and now I'm fully matched :)

Congrats!

No - sorry if that was unclear
let me 'splain
I am matched - full stop. No SOAP necessary. My post was about the vulnerabilities in my rank list. Vulnerabilities, it turns out, that did not matter.
Here is how I screwed up - going into the match, I had just one TY program that I could rank in my supplemental list for the advanced programs on my main rank list. And that program was pretty competitive. So, there was a pretty good chance that had I matched into an advanced program, I would have had to scramble for a first year spot.

As of now, I either matched into a categorical program, or I got lucky and matched into my only TY option and an advanced programs. But I've been sweating bullets about having to SOAP for a first year spot for a couple of months. Had I to do it over, I would have spent more time researching my situation vis a vis prelim year programs, like potential road blocks to DOs in socal programs, the amount of competition for those prelim spots, and I should have considered surgical prelims). anxiety sucks.

Ah... Makes sense now. Well, glad things worked out.

Just FYI -

I matched into an advanced program from the start and needed to scramble into a prelim.

This means I was not allowed to view any open spots in anesthesia or any other specialty, just the open spots for prelims/TYs. And now that I'm matched to a prelim in the SOAP, I can't see anything anymore.

I've had a ton of PMs asking if I can tell them which programs had openings and how many spots available, etc.

No need to PM me for that reason because a) the above and b) I am that paranoid about not following NRMP rules. Sorry.

I wouldn't normally say anything, but that was a lot of PMs to sift thru this morning.

Just FYI -

I matched into an advanced program from the start and needed to scramble into a prelim.

This means I was not allowed to view any open spots in anesthesia or any other specialty, just the open spots for prelims/TYs. And now that I'm matched to a prelim in the SOAP, I can't see anything anymore.

I've had a ton of PMs asking if I can tell them which programs had openings and how many spots available, etc.

No need to PM me for that reason because a) the above and b) I am that paranoid about not following NRMP rules. Sorry.

I wouldn't normally say anything, but that was a lot of PMs to sift thru this morning.

Hahaha the neurotic SDN army needed to know what they could have had a chance at SOAPing in to.

Congrats on the SOAP match, I knew someone who was going through it and it was extremely stressful, especially as all the spots have started to evaporate.

1. Mt. Sinai (9)
2/3. UPMC (7)
2/3. MGH (7)
4/5. University of Iowa (4)
4/5. Hopkins (4)

Good Luck Everyone!

1. Mt. Sinai (9)
2/3. UPMC (7)
2/3. MGH (7)
4/5. University of Iowa (4)
4/5. Hopkins (4)

Good Luck Everyone!

Surprised at the lack of love for UCSF. Supposedly one of the top 3, on the West coast, and in SF. Attributes most applicants in other specialties normally drool about.