Official 2013 Anesthesiology Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UPMC/Pitt x 4
MGH x 3
Mt. Sinai x 3
U Michigan x 2
Hopkins x 2
BIDMC x 1
OHSU x 1
USC x 1
IU x 1
UAB x 1
Iowa x 1
CCF x 1
Scott and White - Texas A&M x 1
UCSD x 1
Wash U x 1
Vanderbilt x 1
VCU x 1
Stanford x 1
Nebraska x 1
UNC x 1

Members don't see this ad.

1. Virginia Mason
2. UCSD
3. Wash U
4. Pitt
5. Stanford
6. Wake
7. UAB
8. Emory
9. Miami
10. UNC
11. Rush
12. USC

Please don't update the program counts. I will update it after a dozen or more folks have posted their ranklists. :)
Also, if someone wants to post their ranklist and doesn't want to have it under their own name for privacy related reasons, then feel free to PM me. I'll post it under my alias without any reference to the PM'er.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins
U Washington
UTMB
CCF
Penn State
Oklahoma
UTHSCSA
UConn
SLR
GHSU

Friend's list.

Mt. Sinai
BIDMC
Cornell
WashU
NYU
UPMC
CCF
Rush
Ohio State
Tufts
Montefiore
Hershey

Nebraska
Maine
Vermont
Louisville
U of Arizona
UT San Antonio
UMKC
UT Houston
UTMB
UCLA Harbor
Baystate

Was looking for good programs in smaller towns. Cancelled anything I thought would be out of my top 5...kind of wondering about those cancellations now...

Either way, dry-hopped porter for me tonight.

Good luck y'all!

Nooooo.jpg

:laugh:

but seriously, good luck. I really loved my visit to UNMC.

I also really liked Vermont. Unfortunately I had to put it lower on my list because I would have to sell a kidney to afford to move my family and live there. I liked Baystate, too. They have a few cool residents ;)

Where do you live now that has that much lower a cost of living than Vermont such that you wouldn't break even pretty quickly on the moving costs? :confused:

Friend's list.

1. Vandy
2. UAB
3. MGH
4. Colorado
5. BIDMC
6. Utah
7. Penn
8. Baylor
9. UT Houston
10. UT Southwestern
11. Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not where I live now, but where I would end up (COL difference of Omaha vs. Burlington is thousands per month). It's not the moving expenses, but continuing to live there.

Being single is a no-brainer.

Aaahhhhh...I keed, I keed.

It's not where I live now, but where I would end up (COL difference of Omaha vs. Burlington is thousands per month). It's not the moving expenses, but continuing to live there.

Being single it would be a no-brainer. With a family, it's different.

Ah, I see. Having been mostly in Boston, NYC, SF, and DC, pretty much anywhere else is a COL upgrade. Sometimes I forget there are still gradations among the Rest of Country. :p

Ah, I see. Having been mostly in Boston, NYC, SF, and DC, pretty much anywhere else is a COL upgrade. Sometimes I forget there are still gradations among the Rest of Country. :p

I was horrified at some of my interviews listening to residents talk about rent/parking/traffic.

Friend's list.

Mt Sinai
Cornell
NYU
St Luke's Roosevelt
UTSW
GWU
UT Houston
Baylor
UTMB
UTHSC San Antonio
Georgetown
UIC
Rush
UMDNJ RWJ

I think I'm the first/only person to rank Ohio State #1. As you can tell by my list, there is a pretty strong regional bias. My wife and I are hoping to move closer to home (same hometown)

1. Ohio State
2. Cincinnati
3. Case Western
4. Pittsburgh
5. WashU
6. Duke
7. Vanderbilt
8. Tennessee
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. St. Louis U
11. Michigan

edit: in this process, I applied to 20 programs, was invited to all of them, and ended up turning down the following 9 interviews. This may be helpful to future applicants because it shows how real decisions are made throughout the cycle.

Mayo Clinic -- decided it was too far from home and too cold.
Northwestern -- decided Chicago was too expensive and too cold.
Chicago -- same as Northwestern.
Loyola -- same as Northwestern.
Kentucky -- got tired, didn't want to make the drive.
Louisville -- same deal as Kentucky. The interviews were like 2 days apart IIRC, and I backed out on the whole trip.
Indiana -- cut down on interview costs, realized they didn't have many categorical spots.
Virginia -- difficult (expensive) to reach by air. Would pose an accessibility issue for me, my wife, and our middle class families.
West Virginia U -- scheduled it late in the cycle (well, late for me; my last interview was in early December), got tired, cancelled.

Last edited:
I think I'm the first/only person to rank Ohio State #1. As you can tell by my list, there is a pretty strong regional bias. My wife and I are hoping to move closer to home (same hometown)

1. Ohio State
2. Cincinnati
3. Case Western
4. Pittsburgh
5. WashU
6. Duke
7. Vanderbilt
8. Tennessee
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. St. Louis U
11. Michigan

WashMe, no WashU?

WashMe, no WashU?

After 4 years in StL, it's time to say goodbye. Of the 11 programs I visited, I felt WashU, Michigan, and Duke were the strongest. Maybe toss Vandy in there too. However, life is not that one dimensional... In the end, I want to start a family and it is most important to me to live somewhere my wife will have a strong support system.

Basically, I knew I wanted a mid-sized program (~7-15 residents) where I couldn't hide, and I wanted to be within 3 hours of home. For me, OSU is 30 min, Cincy is 2hr, and Case/Pitt are 3hr from home (both my parents and my wife's parents) My top 3 ranks fit perfectly, then Pitt fits w/ location but is a bit big for me. Also, I didn't like the idea of rotating at a ton of hospitals. I ruled out CCF because I didn't want to do 5 floor months as a CA-1, and I ruled out Michigan because I'm a Buckeye at heart ;)

Friend's list.

UK
MUSC
UT-Knoxville
Cincinnati
Ohio St
UL
UF
Miami
SLU
WVU
GHSU

Thoughts on UVA? Saw it on a few lists but not in top 3.

Absolutely loved it. Talked about it a lot with my spouse actually, and I could have easily put it higher. It was a hard decision - ordering my list. I'd be exceedingly happy if I did end up there after all.

Thoughts on UVA? Saw it on a few lists but not in top 3.

I liked UVA a lot. Ranked it #4. It was sort of an arbitrary decision to not rank it 2 or 3.... (although im in the process of convincing myself that I ranked the programs in the best order.)

1. Iowa
  2. CCF
  3. Louisville
  4. Nebraska
  5. Beaumont
  6. Albany
  7. DMC
  8. Minnesota
  9. Toledo
  10. WVU
  11. Arkansas
  12. Buffalo
  13. Case Metro
  14. SUNY Upstate
  15. Henry Ford

thoughts on the brigham? also saw on a few lists but surprised that no one yet with it at 1

1.UPMC
2.Case University Hospitals
3. URochester
4. CCF
5. UCSD
6. Loma Linda
7. UK
8. U Chicago
9. UC Irvine
And some others.

Top 7 would be stoked to go to any, met some really amazing people out there. Good luck everyone :D:luck:

1. Univ of CO
2. MCWI
3. UT Houston
4. Rush
5. VCU
6. Albany
7. Texas Tech
8. UConn
9. Buffalo
10. SLR
11. Toledo
12. BU
13. NYMC

thoughts on the brigham? also saw on a few lists but surprised that no one yet with it at 1

Only see it on two lists so not a very big sample size. From anecdotal experience seems to be hardest program to get an interview at so I'm sure their yield is pretty high

man a lot of people are ranking UPMC #1

Bwh
Mgh
UCLA
Stanford
Ucsf
Mt Sinai
Cornell
Hopkins
Columbia
Cedars Sinai
USC
Baylor

1. Mount Sinai
2. Cornell
3. Columbia
3. Northwestern
5. Yale
6. Einstein
7. UCSD
8. Tufts
9. UIC
10. U of Miami
11. Rush
12. UT Houston

Latest tally after 43 rank lists.

Mt. Sinai x 6
UPMC/Pitt x 5
MGH x 3
Hopkins x 3

U Michigan x 2
Vanderbilt x 2
Nebraska x 2
Iowa x 2

BWH x 1
BIDMC x 1
Penn x 1
OHSU x 1
USC x 1
IU x 1
UAB x 1
Colorado x 1
CCF x 1
Scott and White - Texas A&M x 1
UCSD x 1
Kentucky x 1
Wash U x 1
Ohio State x 1
VCU x 1
Stanford x 1
Virginia Mason x 1
UNC x 1

Notable absences: UCSF!?!, UCLA, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Yale, Wake Forest, Mayo, UT-Houston.
Post/PM you rank list or #1 program so we know who's getting the love this year. :)

Last edited:
Notable absences: UCSF!?!, UCLA, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Yale, Wake Forest, Mayo, UT-Houston.

It's the sample size. UCSF is only on a few lists that have been posted and those applicants are weighing it against the top programs. There's only so much you can extract from this tally.

It's the sample size. UCSF is only on a few lists that have been posted and those applicants are weighing it against the top programs. There's only so much you can extract from this tally.

I know. Just thinking aloud. Ofc, the sample is by no means representative. What we can conclude so far is that people who use SDN like Mt. Sinai and UPMC. :p

Glad to join this network!

Here is my rank list

1. Mayo Rochester
2. Northwestern
3. UMich
4. U Chicago
5. Case U Hospitals
6. Vanderbilt
7. WashU
8. Cincy
9. UWash
10. UPMC

Best of luck to all!

UWashington
Virginia Mason
Columbia
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
UCSF
Stanford
Hopkins
UChicago
OHSU
BIDMC
Utah

I was pretty sure of my top 5, so I cancelled MGH, BWH, Duke, Vandy, Colorado and NYU

Last edited:
Pittsburgh
Ccf
Case
Alabama
Ohsu
Mt Sinai
Loma Linda
University of Michigan
Utmb
University of Chicago
Baylor
Uc Davis
Mayo Az
U of Arizona
Usc
Osu
Nyu
Penn state

Friend's list:

MGH
Jefferson
UTSW
Tufts
St luke's

And then the rest I don't remember the order, but include:
VCU, Ochsner, tulane, Miami, Einstein, Colorado, GW, Kentucky, UTMB, UT Houston, and a few more I think.

Contributing after lurking for so long:

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Hopkins
4. Stanford
5. UCSF
6. BIDMC
7. Penn
8. Columbia
9. Mount Sinai
10. OHSU
11. Washington