Official 2013-2014 Pulm/CCM fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will too

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched! Got my #1 LAC+USC! :)

Hope everyone gets what they wanted. Thank you all for the great advice and support throughout the season!

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps I am a glutton for punishment, haha ;)

C'mon, where's everybody else? Impressive 99% fill rate and 69% match rate.

Matched! Got my #1 LAC+USC! :)

Hope everyone gets what they wanted. Thank you all for the great advice and support throughout the season!

I didn't match but congrats to all who did. Thanks for all the support and advice throughout the process....guess it's plan B

can any of you guys post the stats if you have:
no of applicants for pul/cc, % matched,% foreign matched.I heard pul/CC was very competitive this year...
Thanks.

Matched to my #1!

More competitive than cardiology this year with a 67% match rate. Cards was 73%, GI was 65%.

Reactions: 1 users
From the NRMP website:

Pulmonary/Critical Care Program Statistics

Enrolled Programs 137
Withdrawn Programs 2
Certified Programs 135
Programs Filled 133 99%
Programs Unfilled 2 1%

Certified Positions 489
Positions Filled 486 99%
Positions Unfilled 3 1%

Matched Applicants 486
U.S. Grad 256 53%
U.S. Foreign 58 12%
Osteopathic 37 8%
Foreign 134 28%
Canadian 1 0%

Applicants Preferring this Specialty * 717
Matched to this Specialty 477 67%
Matched to Different Specialty 14 2%
Did not Match to any Program 226 32%

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is only available on the match website. Thank you guys for suggestions all through the season, helped a lot! I will post my interview experiences in the next few days.

I cannot find those numbers, not even in the Match website...

I cannot find those numbers, not even in the Match website...
Log into NRMP and click on results in top right hand corner. You can save the results as PDF. Match results by state is also there.

Got my 1st choice! University of Washington Seattle!

Got my no.1 choice and I will be with one of you guys above.
I would like to share my experiences. I got call from programs very slow compare with the board list.
My strategy and recommendations are keeping approach to programs that hasn't sent out invitation and practicing a lot for interview.
Thanks all of you and see you again at some point :)

This is a brief summary of some of the interviews that I went to. I am not discussing programs that I did not like or did not want to end up at. Also need to mention that I am looking for programs that sponsor a visa and a H1b to be precise.

University of Iowa:
excellent program, very nice interview day. The program is solid in its clinical training and research opportunities. Most fellows are going into a non acdemic career but quite a few are planning for a career in research. It seemed to be a program that has a curriculum to help you to get grants if you are really into that stuff.
The faculty were all very nice. 6 interviews but everybody was on time and the process concluded pretty much on time. They do have an opportunity for a Lung transplant year if you want to do it. Addtional year of training as a junior attending is also possible for those who are interested in a career in research, met with somebody who was doing that.
The city is very small, a typical college town. I liked the program and the faculty I met was awesome. It sponsors a H1b as well. Would give them a 8/10.

University of Florida, Gainesville:
Another excellent program. Definitely more clinically oriented than Iowa. Has 14 mths of research but could not figure out if they have a curriculum other than a brief training on research methodology by the CTSI. Faculty does research but not sure if anybody has stayed back for an additonal year or got any grants from there. Awesome clinical training though. Great PH experience- you get to do RHCs by yourself.Excellent CF exposure and they have one of the most renownded A1T lab. They have an IP and a transplant fellowship which you could do in the third year itself.This arrangement will stay until IP starts having a board of its own. Not sure if the lung transplant has to be a seperate year or it can be done in the three years, would assume it to be a part of the three years if one is interested. Nice city, inexpensive. Close to a lot of nice places you can visit on the weekend. Also sponsors a H1b. I definitely liked it a lot.Faculty is awesome, excellent clinicians. VA is literally attached to the hospital on the other side if the street. Some of them do VATS and percutaneous trachs themselves. Would give them 8/10.

University of Minnesota:
Fellowship program is spread over four different hospitals- HCMC and the university hospital have their own residency programs as well. These are the two busiest hospitals. The VA is big but its in a different part of the twin cities. The only downside of the program is its spread out strcuture. Even though you would not be needed to round in two different hospitals in a single block but you will have to travel for conferences. The program is clinically strong with a strong transplant experience. Faculty has diverse interests some do pure ICU, some are predominantly into bench research. Most fellows are going into practice but everybody seemed quite happy with their training.Huge faculty group, has a nice mix of academicians and clinicians. Interview day is busy with visits to all four hospitals for interviews but surprisingly very effciently conducted by the PC. Its a J program.And obviously its very cold out there :-( . 7/10 for me.

Wayne state University:
The hospital is located in a nice locality close to the university. I had expected to see much worse. There are four hospitals- Karmanos has only an ICU rotation if I remember correctly. Recieving seemed to be the busiest hospital followed by Harper. The VA is nearby. Training is mostly clinical with good IP exposure. There is no lung transplant although you will manage other transplant related issues in their ICU. They have a system where you can chose an area of PCCM which you would like to have more experience of and then they will set your schedule so that you acn havve more time on that " focussed track".
They do not have moonlighting separately but pay you additionally for extra time that you will be in the hospital.That extra time seemed to be a part of the schedule.
Clinically oriented program, expect solid training. They have research time in their curriculum but doubt it will be effective without a proper research curriculum/ mentorship.
Its a J program. 6/10

Geisinger:
Its in the midst of nowhere but its much better than I had expected it to be. The PD has been instrumental in getting the PCCM program accredited and on its feet and is well known in his field. Faculty is all clinical and they are very good. They have an eICU system and fellows do not take night calls. Very strong clinical exposure. They have a separate critical care track which takes 2 fellows.Its still an unproven program since they started the fellowship last year but by the look of things it seemed to be lot better than quite a few big city university programs I have been to. Danvile is a small town and, small is an overstatement. It sponsors H1 and I would give it 6.5/ 10

Montefiore NY:
Located in the Bronx, spread over 3-4 hospitals also includes the Jacobi hospital ICU and their consult service. Surprisingly, the fellows seemed to number less bronchs than any other program I interviewed at.Extremely ICU heavy program, no lung transplant exposure. You can go to Columbia for transplant but they stopped the elective since the relationship between the two hospitals isnt that great it seems. Most of their fellows are from withing the system ie Monte, BI or Jacobi. The day was completely uninspiring, the chief fellow uninterested. The chief was rude and the main reason why I decided against going there. He started of my interview by noting that "he did not have time to go through my profile". Asked questions and then interupted repeatedly to the extent that I had to request him to let me complete what I had to say on a couple of occasions. It was a waste of money and time for me. I did not plan to go there but still I wanted to put in my experience of this place/ interview. Sponsores H1b but will get a a 4/10 from me.

SUNY Downstate:
Four different hospitals spread over quite some distance and you will have to drive between hospitals on your clinic days. It is a clinical heavy program and even though they had one of their non-physician PhD faculty interview us, research is difficult other than some review papers and case reports unless you are exceptional. We spoke more about his research than mine during the interview, which was sort of very strange.No nights throughout the three years. Third year has 10 months of ICU. Worst third year schdule I have ever seen. No doubt this is a clinically strong program but I believe that it has far too many ICU months in the third year. No transplant experience available.