Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts? I keep moving some around - constructive advice would be helpful. I probably want to do fellowship (maybe gi/cards but very unsure). I may choose hospitalist at least for some time (unsure).

1. UC Irvine (I had good impression of unique curriculum, beautiful location. I like VA hospital affiliations. Forums make it seem like fellowship is impossible? Or is this just in comparison to other CA programs? I find it hard to read too far into programs' fellowship lists, b/c most institutions have residents stay on board as fellows; hard to say if it's b/c couldnt place elsewhere or if they really do enjoy the site.)
2. Georgetown (solid program, VA hospital affiliation. will implement 4+1 as pgy2. residents match well, DC location)
3. Jefferson (private attendings - is a big problem? I saw it mentioned on a thread. Nice location in Philly.)
4. UMD (nice facilities, VA hospital. Wish they had full electronic EMRs)
5. Loyola (seems solid, I am a fan of 4+1. VA hospital. could live in Chicago)
6. USC (low salary. overworked? I did like interview day, but these are concerns given price of living & current debt)
7. Temple (not best location, but would live in center city. seems ok)
8. Cedars Sinai (concern that it's not university program. not a CA native, and too early to say where I hope to end up in future)
9. GW
10. Montefiore (not a fan of location)
11. UVA (I liked the program, but not a big fan of small towns)
12. LIJ
13. Stony Brook
14. Drexel

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the most recent fellowship placement for UTMB or last few yrs? mostly interested in cards

Thoughts? I keep moving some around - constructive advice would be helpful. I probably want to do fellowship (maybe gi/cards but very unsure). I may choose hospitalist at least for some time (unsure).

1. UC Irvine (I had good impression of unique curriculum, beautiful location. I like VA hospital affiliations. Forums make it seem like fellowship is impossible? Or is this just in comparison to other CA programs? I find it hard to read too far into programs' fellowship lists, b/c most institutions have residents stay on board as fellows; hard to say if it's b/c couldnt place elsewhere or if they really do enjoy the site.)
2. Georgetown (solid program, VA hospital affiliation. will implement 4+1 as pgy2. residents match well, DC location)
3. Jefferson (private attendings - is a big problem? I saw it mentioned on a thread. Nice location in Philly.)
6. USC (low salary. overworked? I did like interview day, but these are concerns given price of living & current debt)
8. Cedars Sinai (concern that it's not university program. not a CA native, and too early to say where I hope to end up in future)
9. GW
12. LIJ
13. Stony Brook
14. Drexel

Nice list. It seems you really liked UCI. If it felt that right to you, I would say go with it!

As for the rest of your list, location preferences aside, I would put UVA higher, especially for GI. Maybe even GW given your fellowship wants combined with desire for a goos location. It sounds like you like DC.

Members don't see this ad :)

9. GW
12. LIJ
13. Stony Brook
14. Drexel

did you really like UCI THAT much? i am going to destroy your list just a little bit

UVa
Georgetown
Jefferson
UMD
Temple/USC
Monte
the rest however

taking into account your desire to stay in cali and I understand that sentiment
1) usc
2) UWis = UVA =Denver

If it were my list I'd rank Uwis as #1. I have been told countless times to choose the place where I fit in best as it is your performance that dictates your success ... especially if the programs are relatively close to each other in standings. from what you have written it seems like USC is a clear #1. They had a good number of people match into GI this yr. UCI/LLU though will probably make it much harder for you to match (didnt interview there, but hearsy)

I do remember UVA PD mentioning either 8 or 10 matching this yr.

Pretty spot on and agree with this assessment

did you really like UCI THAT much? i am going to destroy your list just a little bit

UVa
Georgetown
Jefferson
UMD
Temple/USC
Monte
the rest however

Agree with disorder's list. If you are thinking Cards/GI for UCI you are basically gunning for 2-3 spots (cards 2 and gi 1) and most likely will be doing a chief year to get that. If you play odds, will most likely end up as a hospitalist/primary care. If you can live without those fellowships, I agree, UCI has a nice cozy little hospital.

I have 2 questions, basically. I am going to list some programs around the top of my list (in the order I will rank them), and I would like it if someone could give me a general rank order based on reputation/quality of the program as the only deciding factor. Then, based on the order I currently have the programs in, tell me if I am crazy or if my list sounds okay (also note that I am likely going to pursue a career in cardiology)

-Mount Sinai
-UCLA
-University of Michigan
-BIDMC
-Wash U in St. Louis
-Mayo Clinic
-NYU
-Cleveland Clinic
-Johns Hopkins Bayview
-Case Western
-Brown

Thanks in advance!

what would be in your top 5?

1. USC fine as # 1- matched GI fairly well this year and is in cali
Assuming you want to do GI...(personally id rather lock in the potential for fellowship over 3 years of living in a nicer place.. its the rest of your career youre talking about )

UVA -> UWisc -> UColo

then... significantly lower..

Loma Linda = UCI = UTSA

then rest i have no clue

I have 2 questions, basically. I am going to list some programs around the top of my list (in the order I will rank them), and I would like it if someone could give me a general rank order based on reputation/quality of the program as the only deciding factor. Then, based on the order I currently have the programs in, tell me if I am crazy or if my list sounds okay (also note that I am likely going to pursue a career in cardiology)

-Mount Sinai
-UCLA
-University of Michigan
-BIDMC
-Wash U in St. Louis
-Mayo Clinic
-NYU
-Cleveland Clinic
-Johns Hopkins Bayview
-Case Western
-Brown

Thanks in advance!

Rep alone?

UMich
UCLA/BIDMC/WashU/Mayo
NYU
the rest really don't matter... you wont drop that low. rank as you like.

9. GW
12. LIJ
13. Stony Brook
14. Drexel

I would actually put Cedars towards the top of your list considering your preferences for cards gi hospitalist. just look at their fellowship list. it speaks for itself.

PS

haven't all of you been THINKING about you rank lists for some time now? geez. now is NOT the time to make drastic changes.

Hoping for last minute advice on between these choices.

Mayo (like the format of 4+4 and traning) vs Stanford (Loved overall program and area)
Cornell (Liked the program a lot and good match list, not hugest fan of NY) vs UCLA (great training, and many hospitals)

Thanks in advance

Hoping for last minute advice on between these choices.

Mayo (like the format of 4+4 and traning) vs Stanford (Loved overall program and area)
Cornell (Liked the program a lot and good match list, not hugest fan of NY) vs UCLA (great training, and many hospitals)

Thanks in advance

fellow applicant, interviewed at 3/4 but familiar with the one i didn't interview at

i'd go stanford > mayo
ucla > cornell (unless you wanna do hem/onc)

Members don't see this ad :)
fellow applicant, interviewed at 3/4 but familiar with the one i didn't interview at

i'd go stanford > mayo
ucla > cornell (unless you wanna do hem/onc)
I agree with this.

-Mount Sinai
-UCLA
-University of Michigan
-BIDMC
-Wash U in St. Louis
-Mayo Clinic
-NYU
-Cleveland Clinic
-Johns Hopkins Bayview
-Case Western
-Brown

Thanks in advance!
Sinai is a good program but likely too high on your list IMO. The rest makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user

9. GW
12. LIJ
13. Stony Brook
14. Drexel
UCI really seems too high here. UVA really seems too low. But you have to live with it, so take our advice for what it's worth.

posted previously, but needsome help on my 4-6. Single guy, fairly set on GI, maybe a west coast bias but open to trying new things, love sports. While reputation is important (esp for fellowship), to me it’s more about the overall fit (and city pretty important to me). I feel I could put these in any order so this is flexible. Thanks in advance!

4) Beth Israel Deaconess
+great feel that day, liked the PD, amazing match list (100% match last 9 yrs or something), Boston = world’s biggest college town aka young people
- no vitals or MAR in the EMR (****biggest concern here....is this a problem or just a headache that isn't THAT big a deal?), plays third fiddle to MGH and Brigham...not sure if that's a problem either...I personally don't mind but not sure if it impacts the program in the Harvard system, cost of living in boston is high

5) Northwestern
+ Love Chicago (and best friend lives there), good GI program that just got better with the addition of former head of GI at U Chicago, liked the PD, beautiful hospital, going to a 4+1 or 4+2 or something (if I remember correctly), cushy, big city = more single people
- honestly not that impressed with the clinical competence of the residents though that could have just been the team I was rounding with. Reputation maybe not as good as BID? Or is it? cushy (good and bad thing I guess).
****biggest concerns are potential lack of autonomy and diversity: i've heard of some PGY3s there that haven't had an endocarditis and some medical students that didn't see TB there despite being there four yrs.

6) UCSD
+ Chillest chief residents and maybe even residents overall, love San Diego (probly my fav city)/its awesome weather/the beach, good GI program, relatively new chair of GI program from Mayo with lots of research going on, multiple hospitals, cost of living too bad, cap at 8, 100% board pass rate last 3 yrs (though this may just be up to the individual idk). I THINK the clinical training here is probably better/more rigorous than at Northwestern.
- doesn’t quite have the reputation/name of the others (****biggest concern), but potential to match inhouse for GI and elsewhere is there

Settled on a top two of VCU and Univ of Florida, but not sure which program is one and which is two. I would like to pursue a GI fellowship. Does anybody have any information about the relative strengths of the two GI programs? It may influence how I rank them. Thanks!

Still undecided between my top 2 - Duke and UTSW. I feel like UTSW would be a more supportive program in a better city (I'm a single guy), but Duke is more prestigious. Both programs work you hard and prepare for fellowship equally (Duke seems to match a tad better). Anyone have an opinion on this from personal experience or friends in one of the programs? Interested in cardiology. Thanks!

Settled on a top two of VCU and Univ of Florida, but not sure which program is one and which is two. I would like to pursue a GI fellowship. Does anybody have any information about the relative strengths of the two GI programs? It may influence how I rank them. Thanks!

Vcu had one person match in house for GI and 3 matched to vcu from Howard and Georgetown....per the fellowship match this year, I believe...i couldn't find other data per the website, but was wondering as well.

Uf had 6 match to mayo, uf, vcu, utenn in the past 2yrs...don't know much else.

Rep alone?

UMich
UCLA/BIDMC/WashU/Mayo
NYU
the rest really don't matter... you wont drop that low. rank as you like.

Im not sure I agree NYU has a better rep than Sinai..

Reactions: 1 users

-Mount Sinai
-UCLA
-University of Michigan
-BIDMC
-Wash U in St. Louis
-Mayo Clinic
-NYU
-Cleveland Clinic
-Johns Hopkins Bayview
-Case Western
-Brown

Thanks in advance!
Im also ranking sinai over bidmc, washu, nyu (didnt interview at the others) I personally don't think there is enough difference in prestige at your first 6 to not go by location or gut feel.

Fellows applicant. Im ranking Duke over UTSW. I don't think Durham would prohibit you from finding a gf. I think they work equally hard but Duke has a better name. Also Dallas isn't a typical metropolitan city its really spread out and really freakn hot. Theyre both affordable cities. I would say tho I def liked the leadership at utsw more. Pd at Duke was kinda stoic
Still undecided between my top 2 - Duke and UTSW. I feel like UTSW would be a more supportive program in a better city (I'm a single guy), but Duke is more prestigious. Both programs work you hard and prepare for fellowship equally (Duke seems to match a tad better). Anyone have an opinion on this from personal experience or friends in one of the programs? Interested in cardiology. Thanks!

Last edited:
Posting for a classmate. Interested in Pulm/CC but not 100%, possibly planning to return to home program (midwest, middle-tier) for fellowship.

1. JHH
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. UWash
5. OHSU

Uncertain about #3-5. He felt like he would be happiest (quality of life-wise) at OHSU but doesn't want to shut any doors for fellowship if he changes his mind on pulm. Reputation of program is reasonably important. The question is, would it be unwise to move OHSU up to #2 or 3?

posted previously, but needsome help on my 4-6. Single guy, fairly set on GI, maybe a west coast bias but open to trying new things, love sports. While reputation is important (esp for fellowship), to me it’s more about the overall fit (and city pretty important to me). I feel I could put these in any order so this is flexible. Thanks in advance!

4) Beth Israel Deaconess
+great feel that day, liked the PD, amazing match list (100% match last 9 yrs or something), Boston = world’s biggest college town aka young people
- no vitals or MAR in the EMR (****biggest concern here....is this a problem or just a headache that isn't THAT big a deal?), plays third fiddle to MGH and Brigham...not sure if that's a problem either...I personally don't mind but not sure if it impacts the program in the Harvard system, cost of living in boston is high

5) Northwestern
+ Love Chicago (and best friend lives there), good GI program that just got better with the addition of former head of GI at U Chicago, liked the PD, beautiful hospital, going to a 4+1 or 4+2 or something (if I remember correctly), cushy, big city = more single people
- honestly not that impressed with the clinical competence of the residents though that could have just been the team I was rounding with. Reputation maybe not as good as BID? Or is it? cushy (good and bad thing I guess).
****biggest concerns are potential lack of autonomy and diversity: i've heard of some PGY3s there that haven't had an endocarditis and some medical students that didn't see TB there despite being there four yrs.

6) UCSD
+ Chillest chief residents and maybe even residents overall, love San Diego (probly my fav city)/its awesome weather/the beach, good GI program, relatively new chair of GI program from Mayo with lots of research going on, multiple hospitals, cost of living too bad, cap at 8, 100% board pass rate last 3 yrs (though this may just be up to the individual idk). I THINK the clinical training here is probably better/more rigorous than at Northwestern.
- doesn’t quite have the reputation/name of the others (****biggest concern), but potential to match inhouse for GI and elsewhere is there

bump. anyone?

I would actually put Cedars towards the top of your list considering your preferences for cards gi hospitalist. just look at their fellowship list. it speaks for itself.

What about Cedars being a community program rather than university? Since I'm not from CA, that kind of bothered me - I feel it's not as well known outside of CA, and I cannot say for sure where I'll want to be after residency.

What about Cedars being a community program rather than university? Since I'm not from CA, that kind of bothered me - I feel it's not as well known outside of CA, and I cannot say for sure where I'll want to be after residency.
Cedars is a better program than UCI. Many of the other programs on your list are as good or better than Cedars. Decide what you want out of a program. Remember, the only person here who has to live with your decision is you.

If you are not dead set on being in California, I would probably leave Cedars where it is but move many of your other programs up the list such as UVA that are better than your current number one.

Hi there,
Have made my top list but still confused about my lower/middle programs.
I am an IMG, the reason why programs are not great as rest of the forum. But would love to hear someone's opinion on it.

My list as follows in decreasing order of preference.
1. Vidant/East Carolina Univ(greenville,NC)
2. Allegheny West Penn-Pittsburgh
3. Marshall Univ Huntington WV
Interested in fellowships, HemOnc or maybe Gastro.....Location is not a preference for me.

Best of luck to everybody for the match

Come on guys........ I know they are low tier programs..............still doesn't anyone have an idea?

ANYWAYS..........Wish you all luck!

Thanks for the advice, its all very helpful. I found this re: USC resident salary for 2013-2015, and it is not nearly as bad as I was originally thinking: http://file.lacounty.gov/dhs/cms1_204220.pdf

It looks like interns get a bonus if they stay on at County, and PGY2 & 3 also get 2% bonus .. which makes their income total out to about the same as other programs. Anyone know if this is true??

Thanks for the advice, its all very helpful. I found this re: USC resident salary for 2013-2015, and it is not nearly as bad as I was originally thinking: http://file.lacounty.gov/dhs/cms1_204220.pdf

It looks like interns get a bonus if they stay on at County, and PGY2 & 3 also get 2% bonus .. which makes their income total out to about the same as other programs. Anyone know if this is true??
I am not sure that is true. They didn't mention that at interview day and they pretty much quoted the lower salary on that day and basically said, it is what it is.

I know in the past they gave a bonus to USC medical students that stayed in USC's residency. That may be what you are referring to.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to put UNC vs. UTSW at #4 on my list. I've got Vanderbilt, UVA, and Wash U at #'s 1, 2, and 3. I'm thinking possibly general medicine vs. Pulm/CC vs GI as future plans maybe in academics. I would love to go with my gut on this one but I really loved both programs on interview day. Does either one really set me up particularly well in Pulm/CC or GI vs the other? Is this basically a coin toss decision? I know UNC is supposed to be great for General Medicine. I really like the +1 schedule of UTSW as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for all of the advice.

Anyone have an opinion? I really appreciate all the help this forum has offered. Good luck to everyone.

Don't know much about UTSW, but cards seems to be Duke's specialty, on top of the fact that it's already the overall more reputable program. Probably better for your career aspirations.

Hello!

I am pretty set on the rest of my list but currently struggling greatly between Georgetown and USC as my number 2 and 3...I enjoyed both on interview day, and I keep switching them back and forth, currently it's GT #2 and USC #3 because I feel like GT has a "better reputation" and possibly better fellowship match? But I struggle because I am a really hands on DIY kinda learner and it seems like GT is only so so on that depending on the rotation site whereas LA County and the perceived autonomy residents have and the perceived crazy cases they get to see really appeals to me. But I am worried about fellowship match were I to go to USC and whatever this "bad reputation" USC has that continues to haunt it. GT also seems to have more interesting research and educational opportunities built into their curriculum that USC seems to be lacking at this moment in time.

Currently am interested in pulm/critical care, but would like to still have doors to good fellowships open should I change my mind about field.

I prefer LA to DC, and since I've never lived in LA before I'd like to try it for a few years, but I could live in either. I am originally from the northeast and would like the opportunity to return there for fellowship.

Anyone have any input on which would be better? Thanks in advance.

If you go by US News rankings, the 2013 version had Pitt well within the top 20. Anecdotally I've heard only great things about the program, and from what I gather the general consensus seems to be that it has an upward trajectory. That said, it's Pittsburgh. OHSU, though not ranked within the top 20 in US News seems to also be held in very high esteem and does a great job of balancing exposure to primary care and setting those up for fellowship who are interested. I have not heard as many great things about Tufts. At my home institution, I worked with an ER doc who recently completed his residency there (yes, it was in EM but he interacted with a lot of the IM residents) and said he felt that the medicine residents generally seemed pretty disgruntled and actually suggested to me that I drop my interview there (I don't have any more specific info on that, sorry). USC I know nothing about.

Just my opinion based on a lot of subjective data, but if I were to rank them I'd go Pitt > OHSU > USC > Tufts (or switch OSHU and Pitt if you really prefer the West/Portland).

Tufts med student here. No ER residency at Tufts so not sure where you got your information. Tufts residents during my rotations were very intelligent and seemed very happy. World class attendings in a more intimate environment (look up Dr. Estes, Dr. Link, Dr. Maron). From my interview at USC, Tufts definitely seemed to be the stronger program.

Am I crazy for ranking UCSD above Yale? Interested in Pulm/Crit? Plz help!!

1. U of Colorado
2. UCSD
3. Yale
4. GTown
5. UNC
6. UVA
7. OHSU
8. Emory
9. Tufts

Hello!

I am pretty set on the rest of my list but currently struggling greatly between Georgetown and USC as my number 2 and 3...I enjoyed both on interview day, and I keep switching them back and forth, currently it's GT #2 and USC #3 because I feel like GT has a "better reputation" and possibly better fellowship match? But I struggle because I am a really hands on DIY kinda learner and it seems like GT is only so so on that depending on the rotation site whereas LA County and the perceived autonomy residents have and the perceived crazy cases they get to see really appeals to me. But I am worried about fellowship match were I to go to USC and whatever this "bad reputation" USC has that continues to haunt it. GT also seems to have more interesting research and educational opportunities built into their curriculum that USC seems to be lacking at this moment in time.

Currently am interested in pulm/critical care, but would like to still have doors to good fellowships open should I change my mind about field.

I prefer LA to DC, and since I've never lived in LA before I'd like to try it for a few years, but I could live in either. I am originally from the northeast and would like the opportunity to return there for fellowship.

I did rotation at GT before and really loved it. It is definitely perceived as a better program than USC. Definitely GT is better for fellowship matching. USC mainly matches within, so if you plan to stay in LA, that would be a good bet. If you want to return to northeast, GT is hands down the way to go.

I did rotation at GT before and really loved it. It is definitely perceived as a better program than USC. Definitely GT is better for fellowship matching. USC mainly matches within, so if you plan to stay in LA, that would be a good bet. If you want to return to northeast, GT is hands down the way to go.
Thanks for your reply. Did you feel like the residents you worked with on your rotation at GT had a good amount of autonomy or did it seem like there was a lot of hand holding? I got mixed vibes from the people I spoke with on interview day.

Thanks for your reply. Did you feel like the residents you worked with on your rotation at GT had a good amount of autonomy or did it seem like there was a lot of hand holding? I got mixed vibes from the people I spoke with on interview day.

I thought they had good autonomy, at least my team did. On our call days, the residents made most of the decisions and only asked the attending when we were confused on something. We also went through with our own plans. I can't remember one time where something was initiated by the attending and not the residents.

Posting for a classmate. Interested in Pulm/CC but not 100%, possibly planning to return to home program (midwest, middle-tier) for fellowship.

1. JHH
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. UWash
5. OHSU

Uncertain about #3-5. He felt like he would be happiest (quality of life-wise) at OHSU but doesn't want to shut any doors for fellowship if he changes his mind on pulm. Reputation of program is reasonably important. The question is, would it be unwise to move OHSU up to #2 or 3?

No, but it's also fine the way you have it.

Am I crazy for ranking UCSD above Yale? Interested in Pulm/Crit? Plz help!!

1. U of Colorado
2. UCSD
3. Yale
4. GTown
5. UNC
6. UVA
7. OHSU
8. Emory
9. Tufts

Nope. UCSD has a strong Pulm/Crit program.
Hello!

GT > USC

Neither are going to hurt your chances in cards. But Duke slightly above UTSW.

Hey was wondering if anyone can compare these two programs as far as prestige of program goes, Drexel vs UConn. There are things I like about each program but I can't decide which to rank ahead of the other. I am not sure if I want to pursue fellowship at this time, but if I do I'd consider GI.

Drexel - had a great gut feeling about the hospital after my interview, got along with the residents well, I like Philly location better than Hartford, but no EMR, massive sized program
UConn - smaller size program than Drexel, has EMR, has a clinician-educator tract

Very last minute doubts about NYU vs. WashU!

I was so sure I was going to rank NYU above WashU for the past couple weeks b/c I've been wanting to move to NYC for so long. To me, NYC is an amazingly unique and diverse place, especially compared to St Louis. As one interviewer put it, Bellevue Hospital is the most diverse hospital in the most diverse city in the world.

However, yesterday, I finally woke up to the fact that WashU is consistently ranked as a top 6-12 program, while NYU is consistently 25-35. This makes my reasoning downright stupid, especially considering my long-term goal is divided between Heme/Onc fellowship or an academic position/chief resident after residency. In fact, my very presumptuous end-goal is to find a career as a dean, program/fellowship director, or any other job that allows as much teaching/research/patient care as I can fit.

In the academic world, I'm assuming the WashU name will carry me much further than the NYU name, right? Does this hold true in all regions?

The damned strange thing though is that the fellowship match for WashU is not really that much more impressive than NYU. During my desperate search, I also noticed that WashU's resident curiously hailed from somewhat less competitive medical schools places than I imagined compared to NYU. The mentorship, resident support, teaching, and flexibility of schedule do seem to be more developed at WashU, although NYU is moving to 4+2 in 2015.

Essentially, the left side of my brain is still gravely decided on WashU now, while my right brain is screaming NYU (I swear I'm becoming schizophrenic). Help!

I was so sure I was going to rank NYU above WashU for the past couple weeks b/c I've been wanting to move to NYC for so long. To me, NYC is an amazingly unique and diverse place, especially compared to St Louis. As one interviewer put it, Bellevue Hospital is the most diverse hospital in the most diverse city in the world.

However, yesterday, I finally woke up to the fact that WashU is consistently ranked as a top 6-12 program, while NYU is consistently 25-35. This makes my reasoning downright stupid, especially considering my long-term goal is divided between Heme/Onc fellowship or an academic position/chief resident after residency. In fact, my very presumptuous end-goal is to find a career as a dean, program/fellowship director, or any other job that allows as much teaching/research/patient care as I can fit.

In the academic world, I'm assuming the WashU name will carry me much further than the NYU name, right? Does this hold true in all regions?

The damned strange thing though is that the fellowship match for WashU is not really that much more impressive than NYU. During my desperate search, I also noticed that WashU's resident curiously hailed from somewhat less competitive medical schools places than I imagined compared to NYU. The mentorship, resident support, teaching, and flexibility of schedule do seem to be more developed at WashU, although NYU is moving to 4+2 in 2015.

Essentially, the left side of my brain is still gravely decided on WashU now, while my right brain is screaming NYU (I swear I'm becoming schizophrenic). Help!
Are you thinking about a more academic or clinical/PP career in the future? They're both great programs although I think that WashU has a better national rep in the medical world (your grandma's never heard of the place though). If you're looking for academics and want to get some solid research in during residency, I don't think there's a program in the country more supportive of resident research than WashU.

I think that NYU does a lot of skimming off the top when it comes to who they interview in the first place. I got interviews at much better programs but not one from NYU. I wouldn't worry too much about where the residents come from...they're solid.

Finally, location is clearly an issue. St. Louis <<< NYC but it's not the total s**thole that people like to paint it as. That said, I've lived in both places (STL for 6 years and NYC for 11) and you couldn't pay me enough to move back to either of them. I visit both once a year and that's more than enough for me.

TL;DR...doesn't matter, pick the one you liked better...it's only 3 years and both will set you up.

thoughts on the following?

gtown
rush
rwj
umiami
christiana care
njms

I think Ben Taub in Houston has a stronger claim to the title of most diverse hospital in most diverse city, but that's not your question. You'd have to be pretty desperate to move to New York to take NYU over WashU. Not that either is bad, but there is an appreciable difference in national prestige between them. I doubt even locals would claim NYU > WashU. But if your right brain is "screaming" NYU, that's probably a good indication that you really do want New York that badly, in which case you should go NYU. It's not like NYU is going to limit you as long as you perform well; it just might offer a little less pull than WashU.

4) Beth Israel Deaconess

5) Northwestern

6) UCSD

any other opinions? in particular, concerning the order AND my biggest concerns for each? thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.