** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Of course I'm expecting this madness to just get worse after I'm done with the last of my clinical coursework (and essentially med school!) in 2 weeks. I'm trying to rev-up old advocacy projects and break a 7 minute minute mile...got down to less than 1-45 on my 400 yesterday...so as to not go too crazy in the last 6 weeks...

2 weeks?!?!?! I've got 11.5 weeks of various rotations left with a couple weeks of time off thrown in. Man, I am jealous.

Unfortunately I have the last week of Feb and first 2 weeks of March off as vacation, so I get to spend that just sitting and thinking about the Match, and then I start the next rotation on "Did I Match?" day. Fantastic planning on my part.

Members don't see this ad.

Ack! Now it's my turn to have a mini panic attack...my husband asked "how are you going to reactive if you don't match to _______? Blank, of course being my #1 rank, which is home, which is where we both want to return to and have wanted to return to since we had to move down here.

As adult as I try to be in answering this "what if" question, I can't help but think that match day is cruel. I can see it now:

Big room in the student union building, everyone sitting around, listening to dean sunshine talk. The entire class is there plus a bunch of well wishers, most likely parents, some spouses, and a few kids running a muck. I really think that for parents and the med school staff this is some sort of blood sport, watching us all suffer.

The envelops are passed out, and once everyone has one, it becomes very, very, very, unnervingly quiet. Then the clock strikes the hour and we all open up our envelopes. The 'what if' is answered. We're all supposed to be happy...but what if it's not #1 and home? I don't fake happy too well, and I wouldn't be surprised if some other classmate who gets matched to a heinous location whips out a samauri sword and commits seppuko...

Is this really how we're all going to find out our fates? It sounds more like a moonie mass wedding if you ask me...

Last edited:
Big room in the student union building, everyone sitting around, listening to dean sunshine talk. The entire class is there plus a bunch of well wishers, most likely parents, some spouses, and a few kids running a muck. I really think that for parents and the med school staff this is some sort of blood sport, watching us all suffer.

The envelops are passed out, and once everyone has one, it becomes very, very, very, unnervingly quiet. Then the clock strikes the hour and we all open up our envelopes. The 'what if' is answered. We're all supposed to be happy...but what if it's not #1 and home? I don't fake happy too well, and I wouldn't be surprised if some other classmate who gets matched to a heinous location whips out a samauri sword and commits seppuko...

Be thankful! The way my school does match ceremony we go up on stage one-by-one and open up our envelopes on stage and read them into the microphone. We've had several students cry on stage in the past...

Be thankful! The way my school does match ceremony we go up on stage one-by-one and open up our envelopes on stage and read them into the microphone. We've had several students cry on stage in the past...

:eek::eek: wow...

yeah, today a classmate and I were discussing how we weren't entirely sure what goes on during match day since neither of us have been to one. All we know is that everyone gets sat down in the auditorium and has their envelopes passed out. Some people open them right away, and some go outside to the lobby to open with their families since families aren't allowed into the auditorium. I'm not sure if they pass them out one by one, or if they pass them out and tell everyone to wait so everyone opens at once like a big sorority recruitment event or what.

the other thing was, how does the school get the results? do they download the NRMP result sheets and stuff the envelopes themselves, or are they mailed to the school in sealed envelopes? And how do they have the class match list available instantly on match day? I want to know who I can mug to get my results early. :idea:

The school gets notified ahead of time, and my school's ceremony was always about an hour before the official release. They find out on Wednesday.

I believe that your match coordinator in the dean's office is the person to mug. Not that I'm condoning such behavior. :whistle:

I have no idea how to even begin ordering my rank list. Right now I have half a dozen #1 programs. The current #1 changes on a daily basis, and sometimes more than once per day, depending on my mood and the alignment of the planets. On one hand, it's good that I'm likely to end up at a program that I love. But I'm really going to be struggling with this. It's too bad that I can't pick my favorite features from each program and make my dream program out of them. :p

Thank god I got an out of match offer and don't have to wait 2 more months! Can I get a "thank you Jesus?"

What field?
Were you a PGY-1 or FMG? or a DO?

Anesthesia. MD. PGY-1 completed. Applying for 2012.

I didn't think I was going to match at all and I had a few great offers. There is a god... and this is speaking as an Atheist.

Anesthesia. MD. PGY-1 completed. Applying for 2012.

I didn't think I was going to match at all and I had a few great offers. There is a god... and this is speaking as an Atheist.

I'm a DO student applying for anesthesia. Did you apply last year and not match and hence did an intern year? Or, were you switching? The programs I interviewed at did not offer outside the match positions, so I guess I wondered if it's more common for them to offer it to PGY-1s and FMGs than to American medical school grads...

more like purgatory...those before us would most likely classify internship as hell...

For a good taste of hell, go read the thread Deferoxamine resurected:rolleyes:

7 weeks tomorrow baby!

fair enough, though the unending wait (we're talking years of delayed gratification), lack of current meaningful activity/motivation, and general sense of helplessness comprise my personal hell. i'm actually looking forward to beginning, finally.

ETA: yeah, Def's resurrection induced a mighty desire to put a bullet to the brain... much less painful in the end.

I don't know if SDN is helpful or harmful in the grand scheme of waiting for March 17th. Logically I know there's nothing I can do to influence the match at this point, so why should I worry? Of course the answer is because I'm a type A obsessive control freak like everyone else here. That doesn't explain why, but it's been my MO for life...
It probably doesn't help that I haven't run in 2 days.

All that psychobabble aside, does anyone know if the programs have started ranking yet?!

All that psychobabble aside, does anyone know if the programs have started ranking yet?!

I'm sure its very variable on program and specialty but a resident at my school said they just sat down early this week and did their rank list.

And my advisors said if you're going to send love letters send them now.

I have no idea how to even begin ordering my rank list. Right now I have half a dozen #1 programs. The current #1 changes on a daily basis, and sometimes more than once per day, depending on my mood and the alignment of the planets. On one hand, it's good that I'm likely to end up at a program that I love. But I'm really going to be struggling with this. It's too bad that I can't pick my favorite features from each program and make my dream program out of them. :p

Hey Q, don't you get 7 tries on NRMP. Or is that adjustable.

Just pick the one you like the most. Go for 2nd look.

Hey Q, don't you get 7 tries on NRMP. Or is that adjustable.

Just pick the one you like the most. Go for 2nd look.
Under no circumstances am I going on any second looks. Besides being broke, I am dog tired and in no position to repeat any of my interview trips, even if I wanted to. Which I don't. :hungover:

Over the last few days, I have been talking to everyone who doesn't run away screaming about the programs, and I think I finally have a winner. I think....

Under no circumstances am I going on any second looks. Besides being broke, I am dog tired and in no position to repeat any of my interview trips, even if I wanted to. Which I don't. :hungover:

Over the last few days, I have been talking to everyone who doesn't run away screaming about the programs, and I think I finally have a winner. I think....

I agree with you. I actually think that second looks damage your chances within a program. I feel that the second look people are viewed as more desperate to convey their need for a program which, in my opinion, may actually harm them. Just a theory...

I agree with you. I actually think that second looks damage your chances within a program. I feel that the second look people are viewed as more desperate to convey their need for a program which, in my opinion, may actually harm them. Just a theory...

Any program that you go to visit for a second look that thinks it is a negative thing to do, then that is definitely not the program you want to go to. The good programs that are interested in an applicant will even invite you to come back at their expense (flight, hotel, food).

I asked one weak program to go for a second look, and they told me no cause of chief being sick and another person being away etc... I took it as a negative sign and that they are trying to hide their residents from telling the truth..

AT first glimpse, I thought the title says March Madness :D

I did 2 second looks, highly enjoyed it. Second looks are pretty laid back (at least for medicine). You usually meet up with the chief and round with a team in the morning. After lunch, you may be provided a tour of the city or attend a couple of afternoon conferences. Very little interaction with the PD. The second look's purpose is really for the applicant to gain a better perspective of the program, not the other way around so worries (unless you've got a personality disorder).

I don't think that second looks are relevant one way or another, in the sense of affecting the outcome of how the program ranks you. (Note: This only holds true for applicants who would behave like normal, civilized human beings while re-visiting the program!) The main reason to go on a second look is if it might help you decide how you want to rank the program, or so that your spouse/partner can visit the city, etc. In other words, if it will give *you* some kind of significant info that will factor into *your* decision. In my case, I don't think a second visit would be helpful enough to warrant the expense and time. My "problem" is that I would be ecstatic to match to any of several programs, and it's not an issue of needing more information about the program/city!

AT first glimpse, I thought the title says March Madness :D
I'll warrant that this particular thread title was requested with that intention in mind. :)

This is the song in my head right now. Kinda like having my hopes up for getting my #1, then finding out I didn't match there. :laugh::laugh:

[YOUTUBE]N6O2ncUKvlg[/YOUTUBE]

I seriously don't think I can do this any longer... I'm about to take a sedation vacation until March 14th and even then have someone else check for me...

I have a special ulcer in my stomach just because of this
match/ranking/waiting crap!

Is it ok to become a temporary alcoholic until match day? hummmm:scared:

I'm sure its very variable on program and specialty but a resident at my school said they just sat down early this week and did their rank list.

And my advisors said if you're going to send love letters send them now.

ummmm so is this love letter stuff on top of the thank you notes? What's in one? "I just certified my list and your program is #1?" Email? Snailmail? To whom? How about calling the program directly?
I'm ashamed at myself for considering doing this, but then come 3/17/11 if I didn't could I be sitting there wondering if it would have made a difference?

ummmm so is this love letter stuff on top of the thank you notes? What's in one? "I just certified my list and your program is #1?" Email? Snailmail? To whom? How about calling the program directly?
I'm ashamed at myself for considering doing this, but then come 3/17/11 if I didn't could I be sitting there wondering if it would have made a difference?

Our dean told us to email the PDs of your top three programs and tell them why you're such a good fit for them and why they're a good fit for you. And say you "ranked them highly" or "loved their program." Whatever. If you want you can tell your number 1 they are your number 1.

No clue if it actually does anything. So far I've gotten 1 really generic reply, one nice reply but just as ambiguous as my email, and one I haven't heard back from.

Why be ashamed at expressing interest in a program?

If you want to send a "you're my #1" note, do it now (programs are already coming up with their rank lists). Format doesn't matter, email or note. Some PDs prefer emails, as they're quicker to read/file than a card. Sending it to your Program Director is the right move. I personally wouldn't call, because it doesn't leave a papertrail and it's more intrusive into someone's day.

For content, it's what you'd expect: you're my #1 and here's why I'd be perfect for your program and your program perfect for me. Lots of folks send notes to multiple programs but to be honest, any program that doesn't hear "you're my #1 choice" is going to assume you're not.

And at the end of the day, whether you send one or not probably makes very, very little difference. Med students lie, a lot, during this process, so these things are probably often take for what they're worth.

Ashamed only because I thought I'd act more adult like and less like I have borderline personality disorder.

Of annoying things I've noticed of late: all the financial and insurance commercials with their "leave nothing to chance" and "we've got you covered" slogans. Of course these are aimed toward people like us 5-10 years from now (people like us who have $$$$), but they are just so damn annoying right now. They make me feel like the only reason I'm worried and stressing is because I didn't plan:rolleyes:
I really need to get to the library for some brain crack to read and stop watching so much tv.

There is some thread in the EM forum about stupid things applicants say/do, and a large portion of that thread is devoted to applicant cell phone usage. Now, I just sit here and think about how I'll end up matching at #10 on my list because I was not so stealthy at picking a wedgie (not really) or checking my phone in between interviews or in the hallway (I'll own it, I totally did this). Or if not something like that, then perhaps during some rank list someone will pipe up that "Hey, that Severus is a little awkward" because I didn't talk enough or some shiz when all the applicants were just sitting there making small talk. And, that could be a fair assessment b/c I've been known to bring the awkward at times AND after about 2 interviews, I got tired of inter-applicant small talk. I just never saw the point of that**... if we match here together, we'll become friends during orientation week, but in the meantime just allow me to sit here in the corner, eating my cookies and futzing around on my phone.

** NOTABLE EXCEPTION: finding out where another applicant is applying/thinking of ranking places. Normally I don't care, but if someone is a serious tool during the interview day (i.e., the frat boy, the obnoxious "know it all", the girl who thought she was interviewing for "Jersey Shore" instead of for a residency spot) I will meander over to them and sniff them out because wherever they're thinking of going is a place I'm going to try to avoid like the plague and pray that the match keeps us apart.

And a bad one at that.

You may be correct. All I know is that last year when I did not match, I went on a ton of second looks. At almost all of them I felt somewhat like a leper. Maybe that was more a function of the reality that I wasn't going to match at their program. In two of the cases the program directors, who had been inviting prior to the second look, actually blew me off.

Perhaps I waited to long and they knew they had already done their rank list and I was not ranked to match.

Who knows? All I know is that I would personally never go on a second look again. Luckily I have a position and don't have to think about it.

You may be correct. All I know is that last year when I did not match, I went on a ton of second looks. At almost all of them I felt somewhat like a leper. Maybe that was more a function of the reality that I wasn't going to match at their program. In two of the cases the program directors, who had been inviting prior to the second look, actually blew me off.

Perhaps I waited to long and they knew they had already done their rank list and I was not ranked to match.

Who knows? All I know is that I would personally never go on a second look again. Luckily I have a position and don't have to think about it.

what happened?? that sounds brutal.

So, one program had told me not to contact them for "thank you's" ... so, does this mean that I should also not contact to let them know I will be ranking them? I ask, because I don't want them to think I am not interested in their program and that I won't be ranking them. I'm also geographically not from that area, so not sure.

I know, being paranoid, whatever, feel free to put me at ease ..

So, one program had told me not to contact them for "thank you's" ... so, does this mean that I should also not contact to let them know I will be ranking them? I ask, because I don't want them to think I am not interested in their program and that I won't be ranking them. I'm also geographically not from that area, so not sure.

I know, being paranoid, whatever, feel free to put me at ease ..

When I finally sent my love letter (or rather email) I received a prompt, nice but noncommittal response. So if this program is high on your list or you're worried about having to scramble, then I'd send them a quick email. If they are last on your list, I wouldn't bother. Either way, as we sit here worried about all the things we can't control, the reality is that love letters are not the end-all be-all we think they are. Hope that put you at ease.

When I finally sent my love letter (or rather email) I received a prompt, nice but noncommittal response. So if this program is high on your list or you're worried about having to scramble, then I'd send them a quick email. If they are last on your list, I wouldn't bother. Either way, as we sit here worried about all the things we can't control, the reality is that love letters are not the end-all be-all we think they are. Hope that put you at ease.

Not my top. But, not my bottom either.
It's in between - I wouldn't be upset if I ended up there, it's in Boston, which has its perks, too.
Sent emails to everyone else (even the bottom program on my list .. just that I was ranking them, told them how I'd be a good fit, etc...), no one replied except my #1 (prompt, very friendly, said stuff that was suggestive, but not taking it for face value either).

I don't think that second looks are relevant one way or another, in the sense of affecting the outcome of how the program ranks you.

I beg to differ. In SOME places, a 2nd look can affect ur ranking. This is especially true in smaller programs. I don't think a 2nd visit will pull u out of the "we're not ranking pile" to ranking pile but it COULD affect ur position on the ROL. Believe me, I'm not just speculating, saying this with experience.

I beg to differ. In SOME places, a 2nd look can affect ur ranking. This is especially true in smaller programs. I don't think a 2nd visit will pull u out of the "we're not ranking pile" to ranking pile but it COULD affect ur position on the ROL. Believe me, I'm not just speculating, saying this with experience.
Does your program pay for said second looks? Because seems to me that expecting broke applicants to pay for a second plane ticket and hotel room just to prove their undying devotion to your program is a little unrealistic. Wouldn't an email or phone call saying "I ranked your program #1" basically accomplish the same thing? :shrug:

So in a little less than 6 weeks, I will know if I'm A) staying put for 1 year then moving, B) moving to start a job in 14 weeks, or C) staying here for 3 more years, with A and B the most likely choices. If A, then there's time to save up a down payment. If B, then I'm at the mercy of doctor loans or renting for a couple of years (do doctor loans still exist?) If B then I could also go back to working full time or more to save up said down payment (granted, that would only be about 3K for the 6 weeks if I busted my butt, but would make it possible to put 10K down if I move in 20 weeks).

How are you guys planning for your re-entry into adult life?

So in a little less than 6 weeks, I will know if I'm A) staying put for 1 year then moving, B) moving to start a job in 14 weeks, or C) staying here for 3 more years, with A and B the most likely choices. If A, then there's time to save up a down payment. If B, then I'm at the mercy of doctor loans or renting for a couple of years (do doctor loans still exist?) If B then I could also go back to working full time or more to save up said down payment (granted, that would only be about 3K for the 6 weeks if I busted my butt, but would make it possible to put 10K down if I move in 20 weeks).

I've started looking at possible apartment options in the most likely places. Planning a budget. Trying to figure out how much apartment I can afford or if it would make more sense to see about buying a condo (I don't think it would because of the property taxes in the areas I'm looking at).

Also, considering buying a car a little ways into residency. I've looked into a few options for that too.

But its all just looking at ideas until Match Day comes. Then I'll worry about final decisions and moving. I'll probably move earlier rather than later since I finish school mid-April.

Rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent.

Seriously...just rent. You have no idea how long you'll be wherever you go. You probably don't have a good idea of the housing market there (unless you don't move) - and trusting a realtor to help you figure it out is just asking for a financial beat down. And if you're going to be financially on the edge with a purchase (barely able to make a 10K downpayment, having to take a physician loan assuming you even qualify, etc), that's more stress than an intern needs.

I rented when I moved for residency (still do...haven't moved) and it was the best decision I made. I started residency in 2006, near the top of the market. Nearly everyone I know who moved away for fellowship or a job after finishing residency (2009) took a bath on their sale, assuming they were even able to sell.

If it turns out you love the town and want to stay, you're not losing much if any ground by waiting a year or 2 before buying. You'll be in a better financial situation and you'll be a smarter buyer since you'll have a better handle on the market.

Um, reading the above posts....is everyone emailing ALL the programs you're ranking?? Because I didn't....I only told my #1 they are my #1.....am I out of the loop on something here?

Um, reading the above posts....is everyone emailing ALL the programs you're ranking?? Because I didn't....I only told my #1 they are my #1.....am I out of the loop on something here?

No, you're doing the right thing. Top 3 at most but #1 is more than enough. The programs will assume you're lying anyway and rank you the way they were planning to anyway.

Seriously...just rent. You have no idea how long you'll be wherever you go. You probably don't have a good idea of the housing market there (unless you don't move) - and trusting a realtor to help you figure it out is just asking for a financial beat down. And if you're going to be financially on the edge with a purchase (barely able to make a 10K downpayment, having to take a physician loan assuming you even qualify, etc), that's more stress than an intern needs.

I rented when I moved for residency (still do...haven't moved) and it was the best decision I made. I started residency in 2006, near the top of the market. Nearly everyone I know who moved away for fellowship or a job after finishing residency (2009) took a bath on their sale, assuming they were even able to sell.

If it turns out you love the town and want to stay, you're not losing much if any ground by waiting a year or 2 before buying. You'll be in a better financial situation and you'll be a smarter buyer since you'll have a better handle on the market.

Choice A is a market I know really well b/c I sold there prior to the crash when I moved to start med school. In fact, I could get a delux condo for what I sold my old one for. However, for all the other choices, I certainly see your point in renting. The days of building financial health with real estate are gone for now and it's a moot point when you're looking at 6 figures in 3 years...

Last edited:

I can see your point but with the housing market still in the dumps in most regions wouldn't buying make some sense, i.e. buy low now.

I can see your point but with the housing market still in the dumps in most regions wouldn't buying make some sense, i.e. buy low now.

That was my thought too. My husband and i want to get something that needs a bit of updated. He's handy, and it'll keep him occupied on my call nights :)

Yes but.... It really depends on your situation. If you're selling a house in city X where you are now and moving to City Y with an equal/lower housing cost then buying may not a bad idea (may not be a good one though). But I submit that no matter how much time you spend trolling real estate ads on the intarnets, your grasp of a market you don't live in will be cursory at best. Why not live in a place for awhile, get a feel for the city and the market and then see what happens. The market's not going to explode overnight.

Also keep in mind the truism (forgotten during the years when people were using their houses as ATMs) that it takes an average of 5 years to get your money back when buying. The reality for many people is much worse. Check out this calculator to see how things will work out for you.

FTR, when I plug in my rent (3BR/1BA house 5 minutes from the hospital) and a sales price for the cheapest house for sale in my neighborhood with equivalent specs (regardless of condition) and keep their baseline assumptions, buying is never better than renting. I have to cut the purchase price in 1/2 (or more than doubly my rent) before I get to a buy/rent scenario that breaks even before 20 years.

I honestly don't understand the obsession with buying homes as a resident. You're going to be making quite a bit more money in the next 3-7 years and the amount of equity you'd have at that point in any house you bought now is going to be negligible. Why not just wait and buy the house you want when you get a real job.

I recognize that there are people who may be in a better position to buy in residency than the average resident. But rachmaninov basically said s/he'd maybe have the bare minimum needed to make a 3-5% down payment on a house at the time of starting residency. I just think that's too fine a line to walk with something so huge on the line.

That was my thought too. My husband and i want to get something that needs a bit of updated. He's handy, and it'll keep him occupied on my call nights :)

The only couple I know who made money on their sale 3y after starting residency was a friend whose husband is an architect and did not work for the 3 years they were here. They bought a beater house in a decent neighborhood and he worked 60+ hours a week for 3 years to fix it up. If you're married to someone who has that kind of time/skill, go nuts. Most people aren't.

fair enough, though the unending wait (we're talking years of delayed gratification), lack of current meaningful activity/motivation, and general sense of helplessness comprise my personal hell. i'm actually looking forward to beginning, finally.
:thumbup: I'm with you. The lack of work is adding to my madness. I have no real work requirements (some semi-requirements that really don't require much effort). I miss working/keeping my brain occupied. The two weeks before match, I scheduled an ORL elective so I could scrub on their crazy 12 hour cases to keep my mind from panicking about match/scramble/match/scramble ...?!?!?!

No, you're doing the right thing. Top 3 at most but #1 is more than enough. The programs will assume you're lying anyway and rank you the way they were planning to anyway.
I think the whole concept of thank you notes and emailing programs is bull and am rather hateful to whoever first decided it was necessary. Thank you notes are dumb in general (if receiving one, I briefly read it and saw aw that was nice then into the trash it goes and is quickly forgotten). Waste of paper. Then the whole idea that you are supposed to tell every program how much you loved them, or worse, that they are all your number 1?? Hurts my sense of honesty. I refuse to step into that one as well. I'm emailing my top 4 or maybe 5 to say I really liked them and they will be one of my top choices (top 5 out of 12 still counts as top, eh?) and telling my #1 they are my #1.

I'm in a definite pre-match trough. I'd been feeling pretty up lately, so I guess it was time to come down. Was very confident that I'd match my #1 or at least top 3, which I love all of them. Now... feeling the pressure and utterly annoyed about the process.

The hubs and I are definitely buying a house. We'll be there for at least 5 years (yay general surgery!) and it's a buyers market. We want a house. We've lived in our apartment for the last 5 years and we've had it. A condo will not suffice. We want a house with a yard if we stay at home or a house with a hot tub or a pool depending on which of the places we end up in. :) 5 years is plenty of time for the market to bounce back.

38 more days.

this thread is making me (more) neurotic about contacting programs. i sent thank you letters and wrote my #1 and told them that they were on top, but other than that, i'm not into sending any further butt-kissing letters/emails. maybe i'm shooting myself in the foot, but i just don't play that game.

this thread is making me (more) neurotic about contacting programs. i sent thank you letters and wrote my #1 and told them that they were on top, but other than that, i'm not into sending any further butt-kissing letters/emails. maybe i'm shooting myself in the foot, but i just don't play that game.

Same here. I'm not writing a "you're #1" email, because I'm having a hard time choosing between several programs and I want to reserve the right to change my mind up until the deadline. I hope programs rank me on the basis of merit, not based on whether I did or didn't send them a love letter.

Same here. I'm not writing a "you're #1" email, because I'm having a hard time choosing between several programs and I want to reserve the right to change my mind up until the deadline. I hope programs rank me on the basis of merit, not based on whether I did or didn't send them a love letter.
I'm not sending one either. Interviews are over, and I don't want to communicate with any programs between now and March 17. Nothing personal--let's just all leave each other alone to make up our lists in peace. :hungover: