Official 2010 USMLE Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FMD212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck all. I have my exam end of March and hope to be the 1st one to post here for 2010.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm waiting around too. People that have taken it recently have said 3 weeks. That's what I'm banking on. Good luck

It's always 4 Wednesdays after your exam (except sometimes when you take it on a Thursday outside of the high summer season).

It's always 4 Wednesdays after your exam (except sometimes when you take it on a Thursday outside of the high summer season).

It's actually been 3 weeks from a number of people I've talked to recently. Maybe because it's not "peak" test-taking season?

It's actually been 3 weeks from a number of people I've talked to recently. Maybe because it's not "peak" test-taking season?

Apparently, there is no logic at all to what the USMLE people do..haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys.....i knw this question shouldn't b here

but please can anyone tell me whch one should i go for

USMLERX
or USMLE CONSULT

apparently from the information I have uptill now
is that USMLERX is good with FA but many mistakes

n the new USMLE CONSULT of Eleviser...says its question bank is made by dr.goljans question n Constanzo etc...which sounds good

plus they have this 25% discount which expires tomorrow

help me out....which one should i opt for

n yeah UW is the best I know....in addition to UW is what I am asking

hey guys.....i knw this question shouldn't b here

but please can anyone tell me whch one should i go for

USMLERX
or USMLE CONSULT

apparently from the information I have uptill now
is that USMLERX is good with FA but many mistakes

n the new USMLE CONSULT of Eleviser...says its question bank is made by dr.goljans question n Constanzo etc...which sounds good

plus they have this 25% discount which expires tomorrow

help me out....which one should i opt for

n yeah UW is the best I know....in addition to UW is what I am asking
i only have experience with rx and i think its great

Score: 248
Kaplan Q bank 66% (did 100% of it)
USMLE World 72% (did 100% of it)

I meant to post this a long time ago because this message board really helped me when I was studying. Here's my advice:

So I started out during 2nd year annotating my first aid each week with mostly Goljian pathology but also Lippincott's biochem, microbio made ridiculously simple, high yield embryo, USMLE road map gross anatomy, and BRS behavioral science. I didn't annotate using any class notes because often they are way too detailed. When I worked out I would occasionally listen to Goljian's lectures too, but not with any sort of regimen. Then I would take the Q and A book that goes along with first aid, and every block before the exam I would go through and answer the questions related to that exam. Also, I bought Kaplan q bank at the end of September, and I started doing a few sets of questions before block exams on the given topics. It's really good; you can customize the types of tests you give yourself and all.

I also had this set of books called the Boards Simulator Series, which had 180-question practice tests. Sometimes they seemed a little old, but they really helped me I think because doing that many questions timed over 3 h helped me work up the endurance for the test. Believe me, you will feel like you don't give a damn what the answer is by the end of the practice tests, and sometimes, even 90 questions into it, but it's working through that point that I think helped me on the real exam. The 180 question practice tests I started doing after the 1st of the year getting myself ready a little more for multiple choice questions.

Whenever doing multiple choice questions, it's always a good idea to analyze why you get them wrong; misreading, not seeing the "not" in the question, lack of knowledge, not knowing the details, getting mixed up with a similar sounding drug name, etc. At least that always helped me.

April 24 I got the results from a practice and I started studying in earnest. I made a schedule for myself and basically I went through everything 2-3 times in 1st aid (because by this point everything was annotated in that book). I took an NBME exam every week leading up to the exam (all 6, stopping 1 week before so as not to freak myself out), and I did 2 sets of 48 questions a day. Ended up finishing both Kaplan and USMLEWorld. If you want to do 1, World is better. I made sure I continued to run during the study time for my sanity. I studied between 12-14 h per day on average. I took the test on June 16th.

Hope all this helps someone...

One more thing. My score went up considerably the day that I took it. I got about 12 points higher than my practice exam score. I started out at one point and then I ended up with the same score with about 8 points improvement over the first practice test I took (although the first score I got was pretty good, probably because I'd already done a lot of q bank before the practice test). I got that same score on the last 4 NBMEs I took. I was pretty frustrated but the day of the actual test I beat that score by 12 points. So don't lose heart if you're not increasing the way you'd like...

Here are two helpful websites...

Clinical Review for the USMLE®
USMLE Study Tips: Alpha Omega Alpha — UIC

Best of luck to you all who are reading this!

thanks for ur input sam...

I am using only FA for Micro....do I have to go thru MMRS also?

I would guess (and it's awhile since I looked at the two books) that if you go through the charts in MMRS in addition to what's in FA you should be fine. I don't know if FA alone is detailed enough, depending on what your score goals are for the test.

Good luck!

Hey, I don't log on here that often so just to make sure... when everyone uses the abbreviation RR, they are referring to Goljan's Pathology Rapid Review right? I just want to make sure. Thanks

Hey, I don't log on here that often so just to make sure... when everyone uses the abbreviation RR, they are referring to Goljan's Pathology Rapid Review right? I just want to make sure. Thanks
correct

Hi everyone,
I am sorry if this do not go well with this forum, i could not find the advice forum. Please advice. I will make sure to post more details to help others when i am done with the exam and when i get my result.

I have my exam next Tuesday - April 6
I used the Taus method and DIT

USMLE WORLD AVG (random timed unused ) = 72
Qbook average - High 70s
NBME 3 before my school
exit NBME Dec 2009 = 500/220
School exit NBME Dec =500/220
NBME 5 after 1st run thru =660/250
NBME 4 after 2nd run thru = 660/250
NBME 1 a wk after = 236/580 - had hip surgery and this was after surgery. dunno what happened
NBME 6 in Feb = 620/244
UWSA 1 beginning of March =650/248
FRED 144 free Last week = 87.3% , wiki predicts 254
UWSA 2 today = 750/261

As you guys can see, my progress is very wierd. I guess alot during the NBMEs and am usually surprised at my score. What do you guys suggest i do for the next three days? My aim is 250.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When I check on Oasis, the field labelled "Exam Date" is empty and it's been over 2 weeks since I took my exam. Has anyone else had this issue?

i'm sorry to be off topic, but my exam is next week & i was wondering...are we allowed to wear a non-digital watch? i know the computer keeps the times of our breaks, but during the break..how do you keep track of the time that passes? after all, when we're outside of our testing room, the computer is not there with us. :oops:

and...does anyone know if we are given any scratch papers to write on? i tend to keep track of my thinking on paper sometimes..

and...what about tissue paper? haha...what if our nose gets runny or something? lol. i know...funny questions...but i'd like to know ahead of time. thanks so much. i'll post my experiences, too. after these coupla crazy days left, i promise.

wheresmyshoe, we are not allowed to wear even non-digital watch during the exams. but you can leave it inside your bag and put in on during breaks.. but everything is just so quick that your five minutes is over before you know it.. i don't know if it's the same for all test centers but, in where i took my test, they do not have clock near the locker area where you would stay to eat etc.. absolutely no celphones also.. just be aware of the time after your finger scan (you do this every time you go out and in of the testing room where your computer is and this is eating some of your time too)..

as for the scratch papers, they provide us with this cardboard-like glossy sheets, marker and whiteboard eraser.. i rarely used mine except for some computations on preventive medicine..

Pockets are being checked and emptied everytime you get in from the break so no tissue or hankie is allowed i guess but im not so sure about this one..

hope this helps:)

i just took my exam a few days ago and i'm still in angst. i walked out of there thinking there is no way i passed, i probably marked ~20 per block that i was unsure of. is this a normal feeling?

i just took my exam a few days ago and i'm still in angst. i walked out of there thinking there is no way i passed, i probably marked ~20 per block that i was unsure of. is this a normal feeling?

I can't tell you how many times I've read on this board something along the lines of "I left the exam in tears and locked myself in my room for a week after the exam because I thought I failed the exam, and ended up with a 260."

So while I have yet to take Step I, the short answer would seem to be "absolutely."

Just a reality check for many people reading this forum who think that everyone and their mother drops 220+ on everything.

My school (allopathic in the US) just gave an NBME to all 2nd years with about two weeks left in the year 2 curriculum meant to assess our standing with no prep. The mean score was a 60 which translates to a 175.

I think me and you took the test the same day, and I have the exact same feelings as you. I marked at least 20-25 (esp section 2) questions per block. I was doing well on practice test with getting a 245 on USMLEWORLD 2, two weeks before, and a 249 on the free 150 a day before. But I am not greedy, after taking that test I just want to pass. What a depressing test!!!

Just a reality check for many people reading this forum who think that everyone and their mother drops 220+ on everything.

My school (allopathic in the US) just gave an NBME to all 2nd years with about two weeks left in the year 2 curriculum meant to assess our standing with no prep. The mean score was a 60 which translates to a 175.

Trust me when your school was to release your classes breakown after taking the test, it will be way higher like a avg of 222 higher. Why? because its hard to remember the stupid biochem enzymes in second year, actually anything from 1st year becomes a blurr. When I took the COMP at the end of second year, giving by my school, I got a 71 which is like a 202. when I reviewed 1st year subjects my scores got way better.

Going under fire tomorrow. I was not able to do anything since yesterday save for pics at end of FA. Dint know i would be nervous.
But thanks vicinihil, PistolPete, and McGillGrad.
Wanna sleep early and hopefully tomorrow, the random pull of 336 questions wont kill me.

wheresmyshoe, we are not allowed to wear even non-digital watch during the exams. but you can leave it inside your bag and put in on during breaks.. but everything is just so quick that your five minutes is over before you know it.. i don't know if it's the same for all test centers but, in where i took my test, they do not have clock near the locker area where you would stay to eat etc.. absolutely no celphones also.. just be aware of the time after your finger scan (you do this every time you go out and in of the testing room where your computer is and this is eating some of your time too)..

as for the scratch papers, they provide us with this cardboard-like glossy sheets, marker and whiteboard eraser.. i rarely used mine except for some computations on preventive medicine..

Pockets are being checked and emptied everytime you get in from the break so no tissue or hankie is allowed i guess but im not so sure about this one..

hope this helps:)

thank you, orphan annie! i'm taking my exam this wednesday. so very nervous! i'm afraid my brain won't stay awake for the whole 7 blocks... now i'm thinking if i should drink coffee that day...since i've only had 2 cups of coffee this whole time in med school :p good luck to everyone taking this week. hopefully, we'll be able to add more experiences to this thread.

thank you, orphan annie! i'm taking my exam this wednesday. so very nervous! i'm afraid my brain won't stay awake for the whole 7 blocks... now i'm thinking if i should drink coffee that day...since i've only had 2 cups of coffee this whole time in med school good luck to everyone taking this week. hopefully, we'll be able to add more experiences to this thread.

wheresmyshoe, no prob! :) glad to be of help. i suggest you take ur coffee on ur exam day if you're doing it everyday during medschool.. u don't wanna get that rebound headache of caffeine withdrawal on the day of ur exam im sure.. ;) just don't take too much so you won't have to go to the bathroom often!
Godbless on ur exam! I took mine on a wednesday too but Im still waiting for my scores though..

drnewbie, i exactly felt the same way some two weeks ago when i took my exams.. but i read in one of the threads here that a lot had that kind of feeling right after the test but the scores turned out to be okay.. i'm hoping for the same story in my case and for you too.. (fingers crossed!)

wheresmyshoe, we are not allowed to wear even non-digital watch during the exams. But you can leave it inside your bag and put in on during breaks.. But everything is just so quick that your five minutes is over before you know it.. I don't know if it's the same for all test centers but, in where i took my test, they do not have clock near the locker area where you would stay to eat etc.. Absolutely no celphones also.. Just be aware of the time after your finger scan (you do this every time you go out and in of the testing room where your computer is and this is eating some of your time too)..

As for the scratch papers, they provide us with this cardboard-like glossy sheets, marker and whiteboard eraser.. I rarely used mine except for some computations on preventive medicine..

Hope this helps:)

you bring in nothing,,,,not even money or candy nothing no watches only marriage ring thats it

Hmm. done with step 1- thats the good news.
Dunno where to start , but will write as much info as i can. The exam was like world assessment and i marked the same amount of questions - like 10 each block. I fnished each block with 15 minutes left to go over the flagged ones and also some random questions. I made sure i spent all the time till it logged me out. I did 4 blocks straight, at two banana and then did the three other blocks. The reason I did that was I was determined that i will continue till i find a very tough block. It happened that all the blocks were same difficulty for me, so i took a break after 4 hours regardless just because people said we should take a break. I took Monster energy drink and 5 hr energy with me but i dint use them. I also had chocolates and water but dint touch them either. My center do not require anything other than signature and a pics at the beginning and just signature during the break and at the end.
I did not use the sheet they gave me, all my behavioural questions were concept based- what will happen if you increase the population - PPV increases. stuff like that. I had 2 audio questios - one was cool cos its same as world , they even said Rubella in the stem- Rubella -PDA. The other one was wierd, at left 5th intercostal space but the options were tamponade, pericarditis and wierd stuff. I am glad i did the Taus method, cos the molecular biology in my exam was all eco R1, TntRII, palindrome kind of thing - so i think i think i did well on that. Most of the gues questions were like a child in seat belt had bleeding, what organ, etc. not enough info. Also the lenght of my questions were not bad. Esp one block was line 2 liners 10 questions straight and i saved lot of time on that one.
I know i have been rambling. Dunno what else to say, but if anyone ask anything will reply - after all am all free now.
In all, I felt the exam was fair. 95% of questions were in FA , world and DIT.
I will be happy with a 230 now though. cos i guessed like 30% just like my practice NBME , but not sure if USMLE would be generous like the NBMEs and world.
Now am on the other side of the road- waiting for the result and praying.
Thanks everyone that have encouraged me and will try to do so to others.

Dunno where to start , but will write as much info as i can. The exam was like world assessment and i marked the same amount of questions - like 10 each block. I fnished each block with 15 minutes left to go over the flagged ones and also some random questions. I made sure i spent all the time till it logged me out. I did 4 blocks straight, at two banana and then did the three other blocks. The reason I did that was I was determined that i will continue till i find a very tough block. It happened that all the blocks were same difficulty for me, so i took a break after 4 hours regardless just because people said we should take a break. I took Monster energy drink and 5 hr energy with me but i dint use them. I also had chocolates and water but dint touch them either. My center do not require anything other than signature and a pics at the beginning and just signature during the break and at the end.
I did not use the sheet they gave me, all my behavioural questions were concept based- what will happen if you increase the population - PPV increases. stuff like that. I had 2 audio questios - one was cool cos its same as world , they even said Rubella in the stem- Rubella -PDA. The other one was wierd, at left 5th intercostal space but the options were tamponade, pericarditis and wierd stuff. I am glad i did the Taus method, cos the molecular biology in my exam was all eco R1, TntRII, palindrome kind of thing - so i think i think i did well on that. Most of the gues questions were like a child in seat belt had bleeding, what organ, etc. not enough info. Also the lenght of my questions were not bad. Esp one block was line 2 liners 10 questions straight and i saved lot of time on that one.
I know i have been rambling. Dunno what else to say, but if anyone ask anything will reply - after all am all free now.
I will be happy with a 230 now though. cos i guessed like 30% just like my practice NBME , but not sure if USMLE would be generous like the NBMEs and world.

my buddy told me that he had something like this he got it down to 2 answers cause the others did not fit,,,dr walks into exam room with a
kid patient and mother dr says hi to mom and says what a cute little girl you are (to the patient which was the kid) the kid had very nice tightly wound braids like bo derek in the movie "10" but only thing was the kid who he thought was a girl was a boy...what do you say? 2 choices he got it down to was
a. say your sorry and apologize orrrrrrrr
b just go on with the exam and say nothing...

who knows fight it out now lol after a about 10 posts or so il post what he chose,,,,

my buddy told me that he had something like this he got it down to 2 answers cause the others did not fit,,,dr walks into exam room with a
kid patient and mother dr says hi to mom and says what a cute little girl you are (to the patient which was the kid) the kid had very nice tightly wound braids like bo derek in the movie "10" but only thing was the kid who he thought was a girl was a boy...what do you say? 2 choices he got it down to was

who knows fight it out now lol after a about 10 posts or so il post what he chose,,,,
I'm pretty sure that whenever the doctor is blatantly and publicly wrong, the most appropriate thing is to be upfront about the error, apologize, and then move on.

I'm pretty sure that whenever the doctor is blatantly and publicly wrong, the most appropriate thing is to be upfront about the error, apologize, and then move on.

Bingo. I mean, just picture yourself as a decent (or even half-decent) human being in that situation. You walk in to do your job, and verbally mistake a child for the wrong sex. The mother corrects you. Do you honestly think that completely ignoring that mistake is the reasonable/"kind" thing to do? Most people would simply say "oh, I'm sorry about that" and probably in real life mention what a long day it's been (although that likely wouldn't be a correct "exam" response) and then proceed with the exam as usual.

I'm petty sure you did well articuate!.. :) would you know the score reporting time frame during these months? thanks..

pst pst .. when you mis-identify the patients gender, just say, "omg I'm so sorry! The braids tripped me up haha!" and move on. there is no way that ignoring your mistake is what a good doctor would do. =)

feel so much better.. my aim is to be altruistic and also not cros anyone till the result is out.
Maybe God will have mercy on me and give me good score

hahaha! definitely apologize! I hope I never have to be in a situation like that!

Here it goes: I havent taken the exam yet, but soon: April 12th (I may take it earlier)--

A little about me as a student: I attend Saint George's Univ in the Caribbean, 4.0 gpa
NBME Comp in December: 227

Started studying in Mid January:
--this is exactly what I did:
1. Cut the binding from my first Aid
2. Made my schedule which consisted of three passes thru everything (Modified Taus method)
--Sources I used: FA, First Aid, RR Goljan w/ Audio, BRS phys, Road Map Histo, High Yield Neuro, High yield anatomy, Clinical micro made ridiculously simple, Kaplan for Biochem, class notes for most of pharm, but Kaplan for select pharm chapters, class notes for some of path

First Run: No memorization, just writing, reading, doing
1. I Divided the First Aid where I was doing about 55-60 pages of First Aid per week: so I would put a long chapter together with a short chapter, or three short chapters in a week. I did the subject specific chapters first, then the organ specific chapters
2. Most important: I did all of USMLE world in my first run thru. I thought this was the most productive and highest yield component of my studying! This also left me enough time to do my missed/marked questions during my second or third run. I did every question as I as going thru the subject I was studying. In addition, I wrote most explanations in a notebook which helped immensely (I never had time to read this notebook, but I think writing it helped)
3. I started with my weaknesses (Micro, Behavioral and Biochem) and then tackled the rest

3 weeks into studying: NBME 3: 247 (I expected this increase because I covered the topics in which I was lacking)

5. Completed my first run using all the sources above within 7 weeks. I basically wrote the important stuff from my sources in my first aid excluding goljan. I didnt use first Aid Path sections and just read the goljan for Path

Note: I didnt study any of anatomy in my first run. I decided I would read the high yield anatomy book towards the end of studying because I didnt want to look at anatomy more than once. I also reasoned that the high yield anatomy book is full of Path, so I can get a review of both when I read it later. This however, meant that I was still missing plenty of questions in Anatomy. I also skipped learning heart sounds (I learned the theory, but have yet to study the actual sounds--someone mentioned a great iphone/itouch program called iMurmur which I plan on using to learn these for the exam)

UWSA1 after first run: 256, Uworld %: ~75%

Second Run
: took me ~2 1/2 weeks
--I did all the DIT videos and read some chapters of Goljan again.
--DIT really drained me for the day, so this was essentially all I did and took most nights off
--Redid a lot of missed/marked questions
--Did some kaplan qbank questions which really suck (behavioral ones are pretty good though)

After 2nd run--NBME 6: 260

Last stretch:
I decided to read high yield anatomy and browse thru some sections of the netter atlas. Ive been actively memorizing first aid.

Yday: Free 150: 98%--only missed 3 questions! --came out to 276 on medfriends
Today: UWSA2: 265/800+; It maxes out at 265

So...yeah I think Im ready for the exam. I however, did not go thru everything 3 times, that would have been overkill--I just kept doing questions to know what my weaknesses are, and worked on them. I scrapped the Taus method after the first run.

I was originally scheduled for April 12th but I may go over first aid within 10 days, read some notes, learn the murmurs and take the exam. Another thing that helped me was studying with a partner. We would do our own thing but occasionally we'd bump ideas off each other.

I just wanted to share my studying experience, and hopefully I can achieve those scores on the real thing. I hope this helps--PM me if you have any questions regarding my studying!

Well, I took the exam today and just was not in the groove. The exam was not as hard as I expected it to be, but I did mark about 10 questions per section. I then came home and went over some questions I remembered and missed several of those...I expected myself to do better--most of the ethics questions didnt go my way either...

Well, I took the exam today and just was not in the groove. The exam was not as hard as I expected it to be, but I did mark about 10 questions per section. I then came home and went over some questions I remembered and missed several of those...I expected myself to do better--most of the ethics questions didnt go my way either...
Good Luck! did FA+uworld cover everything?

Good Luck! did FA+uworld cover everything?

Coolguy, I think you'll surprise yourself at how well you're going to do. The percentages aren't set in stone so regardless of how many you may have missed, you're still set for a very high score and I think you'll hit it. Maybe not a 280 (or however high it can go) but I think you're def still poised for a disgustingly great number. :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf:

Good luck! I'll be in your shoes this coming Friday but without as awesome as scores haha.

I am sure you did stellar.. No need to worry, just enjoy your life till rotations start... But, since you mention ethics questions.. Can you give me some last minute tips on what you think would be helpful? My exam is next Thurs, and I am planning on going through Behav and psych next monday... I would appreciate if you can let us know what could have helped out in that section..

Since you just took it, anything you think we should definitely go over a cpl days before, in any section?

Thanks again!

I'm sure you did awesome man. By the way, for the questions you remembered and missed, did you miss them because you forgot some vital piece of info or did you just process the info wrong?

I'm just wondering what kind of mistakes a high scorer would make. Thanks!