***Official 2010-2011 PharmCAS Questions Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a tip for the sdn users out there: Admissions officers view this site as well as the PharmCAS Facebook page, so please be respectful and professional in your posts. I know that you may feel anonymous, but many of you post information that is identifiable.

We all work very hard to make the admissions process as efficient and fair as possible for all parties involved - just remember that we are all human.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

just a quick question, and I tried to search but there was just too much information so I apologize if this has been asked many times already:

The application and transcript deadline indicated on the PharmCAS school page is the date everything has to be received by the school from pharmCAS, or is it the last day my PharmCAS application can be e-submitted?

If it's the former, would the application actually need to be submitted approximately 6 weeks before the indicated deadline on the school page in order for everything to be processed and be received by the school?

Or am I safe by submitting and paying for my application on pharmcas on the day of the deadline?

Hi everyone,

just a quick question, and I tried to search but there was just too much information so I apologize if this has been asked many times already:

The application and transcript deadline indicated on the PharmCAS school page is the date everything has to be received by the school from pharmCAS, or is it the last day my PharmCAS application can be e-submitted?

If it's the former, would the application actually need to be submitted approximately 6 weeks before the indicated deadline on the school page in order for everything to be processed and be received by the school?

Or am I safe by submitting and paying for my application on pharmcas on the day of the deadline?

Received by PharmCAS - not the school. I do not recommend waiting until the day of the deadline as the system becomes very busy. Also, it will save you some unneeded stress if you submit with plenty of time to be sure that your transcripts have been received by PharmCAS in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, pharmcas calculated my gpa today and i am so confused. i withdrew from a class that was 4 credits. pharmcas counted those 4 credits towards my credit hours.
they divided my quality hours by my credit hours which include those 4 withdrawn credits?
is this the right way of doing it? i thought withdrawn classes don't count toward anything.

hey guys, pharmcas calculated my gpa today and i am so confused. i withdrew from a class that was 4 credits. pharmcas counted those 4 credits towards my credit hours.
they divided my quality hours by my credit hours which include those 4 withdrawn credits?
is this the right way of doing it? i thought withdrawn classes don't count toward anything.

I had some issues with the way my gpa had been calculated too so i emailed them and this is what they said:

"• PharmCAS will include ALL initial AND repeated course work in its GPA
calculations (including those repeated under freshman forgiveness, academic
bankruptcy, and other related institutional policies).

• Grades and credit hours for all FAILED courses will be included in the
PharmCAS GPA, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the
transcript-issuing institution. The schools to which you are applying may
recalculate your GPA excluding repeated coursework.

• The following course types are not counted in PharmCAS GPA calculation:

Advanced Placement
CLEP
Audit
Deferred
Institutional/Departmental Exam
International Baccalaureate
Incomplete
Pass/Fail
Withdrawn/Withdrawn Passing
Withdrawn Failing"

According to this you withdrawn course should not have been included. So just email them and ask about this. You need to put "gpa enquiry" in the subject so they might not be able to answer your question and just send an automated message. They said to include all this info in the email:

"If you do not believe PharmCAS properly verified your course work or calculated
your GPAs, send an email to PharmCAS and write "GPA INQUIRY" in the Subject
Line. Include your full name and PharmCAS ID number. You must specify which
course(s) you believe were verified incorrectly and which GPAs are affected.
When you identify the course(s) in question, include the course title,
prefix/number, institution, term, year, grade, credit/hours, and PharmCAS
discrepancy. Failure to follow these steps may delay the review of your GPA.
Please allow up to two weeks for PharmCAS to investigate and respond. If a
PharmCAS error is detected, PharmCAS will immediately notify your designated
schools and will generate a new course report and GPAs."

thank you so much InsaneMutant, that was VERY helpful :). i am going to wait until monday to email them bc i want them to mail my application out.

hey guys i know this question has probably already been asked a thousand times also, but how long does it actually take pharmcas to calculate ur gpa? i know its says up to 5 weeks but how long did it take for u? also can school start rewiewing your application before pharmcas mails it?

I e-submitted on dec 2, do you guys know when i should expect to hear from any school the suspense is killing lol.

hey guys i know this question has probably already been asked a thousand times also, but how long does it actually take pharmcas to calculate ur gpa? i know its says up to 5 weeks but how long did it take for u? also can school start rewiewing your application before pharmcas mails it?

I e-submitted on dec 2, do you guys know when i should expect to hear from any school the suspense is killing lol.

it took exactly 22 days for my gpa to be calculated.

for me, transcripts rec'd 11/01, e-submitted 11/06, gpa calculated 12/03, still waiting to be mailed...

edit - mailed 12/13 per pharmcas!

Last edited:

Don't expect it to be ready until next year. I don't believe schools will have access to it until the mail is received or application is sent out electronically.

Hey everyone,

got a question: Do the LORs get read first before the supplemental application is sent out or after when the supplemental is submitted? The reason I ask is that I have three LOR, two completed by a pharmacist and speech professor, and waiting for the chemistry professor ( which will be done before January 5th). I have the speech professor LOR as a back-up, but they completed theirs before the chemistry professor and I want the chemistry LOR be read instead of the back-up.

Hey everyone,

got a question: Do the LORs get read first before the supplemental application is sent out or after when the supplemental is submitted? The reason I ask is that I have three LOR, two completed by a pharmacist and speech professor, and waiting for the chemistry professor ( which will be done before January 5th). I have the speech professor LOR as a back-up, but they completed theirs before the chemistry professor and I want the chemistry LOR be read instead of the back-up.

It depends on the schools that you are applying to what gets read first. Contact the schools to find out and to tell them about your preferences.

Do pharmacy schools calculate calculate dual credit and community college courses as a part of the prepharm gpa? Also my school does the +/- system so do they calculate those as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I am new to this community and I was wondering if anyone can help me. I will be applying to pharmacy schools in the next cycle and as you all know it can be overwhelming.

I was wondering, for the Pharmcas essay, where can I find it without actually having to sign up? Also for the supplemental applications where can I find them? Do I have to wait till the applications to become available to get a hold of them or are they the same every year? Thank you so much!

Hello,
I am new to this community and I was wondering if anyone can help me. I will be applying to pharmacy schools in the next cycle and as you all know it can be overwhelming.

I was wondering, for the Pharmcas essay, where can I find it without actually having to sign up? Also for the supplemental applications where can I find them? Do I have to wait till the applications to become available to get a hold of them or are they the same every year? Thank you so much!

I am going to merge your post with the PharmCAS thread sticky. You should be able to get viable info there. You can also use the search function for all your inquires.

Do pharmacy schools calculate calculate dual credit and community college courses as a part of the prepharm gpa? Also my school does the +/- system so do they calculate those as well?

Pharmcas did not include my dual enrollment courses in my GPA. They counted towards my total credit count, but not my GPA. The +/- system is also used in Pharmcas, but they don't include A+...you can only get a 4.0/4.0 in any class.

thanks kmapes! but they did count your community college hours towards your prereq gpa right?

thanks kmapes! but they did count your community college hours towards your prereq gpa right?

It's important to note that some pharmacy schools do not accept community college coursework, so you may want to double check on how the schools that you are applying to handle them.

Hello,

The application becomes available in early June each year and the first deadline is not until Nov (unless you are early decision and that is in Sept) so you should have PLENTY of time to fill out your application if you start early.

The essay topic does not usually change and it is:
Your Personal Essay should address why you selected pharmacy as a career and how the Doctor of Pharmacy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals. Describe how your personal, educational, and professional background will help you achieve your goals. The personal essay is an important part of your application for admission and provides you with an opportunity for you to clearly and effectively express your ideas.

Remember you can always create a test application so that you can become familiar with the site. Just DO NOT submit or put in your credit card info as your application will be submitted and your payment will not be refunded.

How long did PharmCAS take to calculate your GPA?
I had no idea they are taking so much time to receive transcript and calculating GPA and stuff.

It has been almost two weeks they have received all of my transcripts, but still not posting the grade.

Any inputs will be appreciated!

May take upto 5 weeks. I became impatient at one point, just like you. No worries! :sleep:

May take upto 5 weeks. I became impatient at one point, just like you. No worries! :sleep:

that's what they said on their website, but I hope the actual time will be much shorter than that. Anyone remembers your case?

that's what they said on their website, but I hope the actual time will be much shorter than that. Anyone remembers your case?

No, it won't actually be much shorter than that. In fact, it will be slower than usual due to the holidays.

Mine took about 2 weeks. However, I submitted my application the first week of October which was after the early admission rush and before the December 1st deadline rush. Then, it took another week for PharmCAS to submit my application to the schools! That was super annoying.

I e-submitted on 11/03 and it took until 12/03 to calculate my GPA's and was just mailed out on 12/13.

My PharmCas under Designations says "Not Mailed." I got an e-mail last week that my application will be sent on the next mailing cycle. Does anyone know how often PharmCas will send out applications to designated schools?

But I got an e-mail on the 13th of December about the AU - which also said "PharmCAS wishes to remind you that since your PharmCAS application has been mailed to your designated pharmacy schools, you are will be eligible to participate in Academic Update (AU)."

I'm just confused now...

*cough* ***Official 2010-2011 PharmCAS Questions Thread*** *cough* :rolleyes:

The sudden influx of PharmCAS-related questions not in the PharmCAS sticky lately!

The mailing cycle is weekly, with the exception of holidays.

The AU email is clearly automated and does not reflect your status. Perhaps it should've just said "PharmCAS wishes to remind you that since your PharmCAS application has been e-submitted, you are will be eligible to participate in Academic Update (AU)."

My PharmCas under Designations says "Not Mailed." I got an e-mail last week that my application will be sent on the next mailing cycle. Does anyone know how often PharmCas will send out applications to designated schools?

But I got an e-mail on the 13th of December about the AU - which also said "PharmCAS wishes to remind you that since your PharmCAS application has been mailed to your designated pharmacy schools, you are will be eligible to participate in Academic Update (AU)."

I'm just confused now...

Mailings go out on Mondays. If you received the email last week, then it will be mailed on Monday.

This may have been asked (if so, I apologize), but I haven't read the entire thread.

Just looking for a quick answer that I can't seem to find for myself on PharmCAS:

For the academic update (sending in my transcripts) do I need to print out the form or just mail the transcript straight to the address for PharmCAS?

Thank you,
Molly

This may have been asked (if so, I apologize), but I haven't read the entire thread.

Just looking for a quick answer that I can't seem to find for myself on PharmCAS:

For the academic update (sending in my transcripts) do I need to print out the form or just mail the transcript straight to the address for PharmCAS?

Thank you,
Molly

Print out the form and give it to your registrar to mail with your official (not student issued) transcript. The form expedites the processing because it has a barcode with your PharmCAS ID that can be scanned to pull up your application and then your transcripts are scanned in right then when it is received.

Print out the form and give it to your registrar to mail with your official (not student issued) transcript. The form expedites the processing because it has a barcode with your PharmCAS ID that can be scanned to pull up your application and then your transcripts are scanned in right then when it is received.

Thank you so much!

Pharmcas did not include my dual enrollment courses in my GPA. They counted towards my total credit count, but not my GPA. The +/- system is also used in Pharmcas, but they don't include A+...you can only get a 4.0/4.0 in any class.

So just to clarify: they didn't count the courses toward GPA but they counted in credits?

I ask because I went to college full time instead of attending high school my senior year so a good chunk of my pre-reqs fall into that year.

Also, was that noted on your transcript? When I entered my grades in PharmCAS there was the option to add "college in high school" and other notations but none of those notations appear on my transcript from my college. (I just ask because I don't want it to take longer to process if I did something wrong.)

I recieved an email yesterday about my application being sent in the next mailing cycle does that mean it will send out next monday? Dec 27?
thanks

I have a question about my GPA status. I think they are in the process of calculating my GPA right now, but I'm not sure if the fact that I took a course in Fall 2010 and the fact that I e-submitted about two weeks ago has caused some kind of glitch or something. The reason I'm worried is because they don't really say if they are calculating or not, the transcript status page says that my Fall 2010 transcript is "Not received," and the wording of my GPA calculation says:

Your GPAs are not yet available. PharmCAS cannot calculate your GPAs until each post-secondary transcript has been received and you have e-submitted your application and paid your application fee. Once your application is complete, it may take up to 5 weeks for your GPA to be calculated.

Did anyone else take Fall 2010 courses and noticed that the transcript status page said "Not received" and that the GPA status page had the previous message? Thanks in advance.

I recieved an email yesterday about my application being sent in the next mailing cycle does that mean it will send out next monday? Dec 27?
thanks

Unless PHARMCAS is on an extended break for the holidays, which I'm sure they are not, then yes it should be mailed out this upcoming Monday!

I cannot figure out the Academic Update. I read the PharmCAS instructions but I'm so confused. It says I can't do anything until I delete any in-progress coursework...but it won't let me delete my in-progress coursework. All I can do is view it.

I got this e-mail from PharmCAS:
"12/13/2010 :
PharmCAS wishes to remind you that since your PharmCAS application has been mailed to your designated pharmacy schools, you are will be eligible to participate in Academic Update (AU). The Academic Update window will open December 15, 2010 and will close on February 15, 2011. During the Academic Update window you may enter any courses completed since you originally submitted your application to PharmCAS (e.g. summer and fall 2010). You will only be able to complete Academic Update once! "

but under Pharmacy Designations, the Mailing Status for each of my schools still says "not mailed". so I'm pretty confused. does everyone get the same e-mail saying their application has been mailed even if it hasn't? do they actually just mean that my application has been e-submitted (which it has)? do I have to wait for them to actually mail my applications before I can delete my fall 2010 courses that are listed as "in-progress" (and then add them as completed)? that doesn't make that much sense to me...but a lot of PharmCAS things don't make much sense to me haha so I really have no clue.

My fall 2010 grades were my best yet (3.8 :)) and I'm really anxious to get this academic update situation under control. I already submitted a form to my registrar back in november to send my fall transcript to pharmCAS as soon as it was available, so I don't want the whole process to be just waiting on me figuring this out. I really appreciate any help :)

I cannot figure out the Academic Update. I read the PharmCAS instructions but I'm so confused. It says I can't do anything until I delete any in-progress coursework...but it won't let me delete my in-progress coursework. All I can do is view it.

"12/13/2010 :
PharmCAS wishes to remind you that since your PharmCAS application has been mailed to your designated pharmacy schools, you are will be eligible to participate in Academic Update (AU). The Academic Update window will open December 15, 2010 and will close on February 15, 2011. During the Academic Update window you may enter any courses completed since you originally submitted your application to PharmCAS (e.g. summer and fall 2010). You will only be able to complete Academic Update once! "

but under Pharmacy Designations, the Mailing Status for each of my schools still says "not mailed". so I'm pretty confused. does everyone get the same e-mail saying their application has been mailed even if it hasn't? do they actually just mean that my application has been e-submitted (which it has)? do I have to wait for them to actually mail my applications before I can delete my fall 2010 courses that are listed as "in-progress" (and then add them as completed)? that doesn't make that much sense to me...but a lot of PharmCAS things don't make much sense to me haha so I really have no clue.

My fall 2010 grades were my best yet (3.8 :)) and I'm really anxious to get this academic update situation under control. I already submitted a form to my registrar back in november to send my fall transcript to pharmCAS as soon as it was available, so I don't want the whole process to be just waiting on me figuring this out. I really appreciate any help :)

I received the same e-mail even and I was in the same situation. I e-submitted, but my application did not have the GPA calculated yet and they did not mail it out yet. I e-mailed PharmCAS about it and they said that you can only do academic update once your application has been mailed out to the schools.

BTW, does anyone have any insight or an answer to my question that was posted a few posts up?

I received the same e-mail even and I was in the same situation. I e-submitted, but my application did not have the GPA calculated yet and they did not mail it out yet. I e-mailed PharmCAS about it and they said that you can only do academic update once your application has been mailed out to the schools.

BTW, does anyone have any insight or an answer to my question that was posted a few posts up?

I posted right below you and answered

Regardless of whether your application has been mailed or not, everyone gets the same generic email.

If I have already been accepted into a school, do I still need to do the academic update? Or just send final transcripts from the quarter I graduate (Spring)?

If I have already been accepted into a school, do I still need to do the academic update? Or just send final transcripts from the quarter I graduate (Spring)?

If your acceptance is conditional pending completion of remaining pre-reqs, I would say yes. And, ask them what form of proof is required, whether PharmCAS (update) or you sending the final transcript.

Yes, if you go back and read your acceptance letter it is most likely conditional based on your performance in Fall 2010 and Spring 2011. You should submit academic update.

"12/13/2010 :

You cannot submit academic update until your original application that was submitted has been mailed to the school.

I have a question about my GPA status. I think they are in the process of calculating my GPA right now, but I'm not sure if the fact that I took a course in Fall 2010 and the fact that I e-submitted about two weeks ago has caused some kind of glitch or something. The reason I'm worried is because they don't really say if they are calculating or not, the transcript status page says that my Fall 2010 transcript is "Not received," and the wording of my GPA calculation says:

Did anyone else take Fall 2010 courses and noticed that the transcript status page said "Not received" and that the GPA status page had the previous message? Thanks in advance.

Did you e-submit it all at once or did you list Fall 2010 as in progress (which will need to be updated in academic update)?

I e-submitted recently but I had sent my official transcript in before the fall semester was over. However, when I submitted, I was able to input my Fall grades. According to the pharmcas FAQ, it said to submit fall grades if you know them and not wait for academic update. My question is will pharmcas begin verifying the grades that were on the transcript I already sent, even though they do not include the most recent grades? I sent it so early because I had every intention of submitting earlier, but personal circumstances arose that made it impossible.

Hello, guys.
I'm applying to Ohio and other schools
and Ohio's deadlines is by midnight. (TONIGHT!!)
I've got everything done except for my PCAT scores haven't been updated on pharmcas.
Can i still apply?

another question.

all the other schools I'm applying is by feb 1.
Can i apply for ohio tonight and submit my application again later?

Thanks guys in advance!!!
good luck all!!!

I guess the answer to your question might be late for the Ohio application. Perhaps, it should be good for a future reference.

Assuming you are talking about an earlier PCAT you took, having selected PharmCAS as one of your PCAT score designations, they will eventually update it. But if it is for this January's PCAT, it's very likely it'll be too late. And that can also depend on the school's PCAT criteria; as most of them don't accept January PCATs of the same year you intend to apply, while a few of them are exceptions.

And yes, you can apply to one/any school via PharmCAS now, and apply to others later. I hope that helps...good luck:thumbup:

I figured out the answer to my question, PharmCAS recently e-mailed me saying that they finished calculating my GPA.

Did you e-submit it all at once or did you list Fall 2010 as in progress (which will need to be updated in academic update)?

I listed Fall 2010 as in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.