Official 2009/2010 rank list help thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Having an easier time ranking the top of my list and the bottom of my list than the middle. Not sure what I want to do, want solid clinical training and the option of a strong fellowship match

In no particular order...
Davis
UCLA
Harbor-UCLA
USC
Cedars-Sinai
CPMC
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser SF
OHSU

1. UCLA
2. OHSU

Sorry, as a non-west coaster I don't know about the majority of these programs so I won't hazard a guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi sdners!

Interested in heme-onc fellowship....deciding between Yale and MSSM. Slight preference for NYC, but not to the degree that I would sacrifice fellowship placement advantage. Any thoughts?

Yale is technically more prestigious but overrated (and close to NYC). A high percentage stay at Yale for fellowship, but heme-onc is not strong. Mt. Sinai not as prominent in name as Yale but but will give you more access to NYC fellowship programs. If you know what fellowship programs you are interested in, see what residencies they come from. Unless you want to stay at Yale for fellowship, I'd recommend MSSM

Hi sdners!

Interested in heme-onc fellowship....deciding between Yale and MSSM. Slight preference for NYC, but not to the degree that I would sacrifice fellowship placement advantage. Any thoughts?

If you have a preference for NYC, go with Mount Sinai. Don't think there would be any big advantge of choosing Yale over Sinai. Both should get you a good heme-Onc fellowship placement. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how true that is. Places that really have that reputation for rigiorous training like UTSW or even Boston Medical center, do pretty well. Other places with rigiorous training but which unfortunately don't have the reputation, probably don't do as well.

Im just going from where I have been interviewing. I heard 2 residents from utsw did not match into cardiology last year whereas there was a 100% match rate from the "less intense programs" I interviewed at. Also I frequently heard the residents from those less intense programs matching into the cardiology programs in those places I was interviewing at. The fellows at my medical school all tell me that research is the #1 thing cards pds look at. I didnt interview at MGH, hopkins, BWH and ucsf plus I'm not coming from a medical school with a famous name. Hence I still would need research to match into cardiology. I wish you were right though.

Im just going from where I have been interviewing. I heard 2 residents from utsw did not match into cardiology last year whereas there was a 100% match rate from the "less intense programs" I interviewed at. Also I frequently heard the residents from those less intense programs matching into the cardiology programs in those places I was interviewing at. The fellows at my medical school all tell me that research is the #1 thing cards pds look at. I didnt interview at MGH, hopkins, BWH and ucsf plus I'm not coming from a medical school with a famous name. Hence I still would need research to match into cardiology. I wish you were right though.

From what I was told by several residents is that there were four residents who didn't match in cardiology one year (recently).

Is it odd to find yourself with a mix of community and university programs at the top of your list? It seems like people tend to go for one or the other, but to me there were more important factors than just university vs. community. Perhaps it's less of an issue for me personally since I'm not interested in one of the super competitive fellowships. Just wondering if anyone else found their rank list shaping up like this too.

From what I was told by several residents is that there were four residents who didn't match in cardiology one year (recently).

That is interesting, although I wouldn't make too much of it. Maybe the program just isn't very realistic to residents about their realistic chances of matching into cardiology. As far as the research goes, you definitely need to show fellowship programs that youare interested in doing and following research...and if you were published in something like JACC that would help...But I honestly don't think that is the #1 most important thing to cards programs, maybe outside of the BWH realm.

Opinions on my mid-tier in terms of having the best opportunities for pursuing a GI fellowship? MA bias but getting a GI spot is most important.

Baylor (but that's faaaaaar away)
Brown
BU
Montefiore
Tufts
UMass

Thanks!

Opinions on my mid-tier in terms of having the best opportunities for pursuing a GI fellowship? MA bias but getting a GI spot is most important.

Baylor (but that's faaaaaar away)
Brown
BU
Montefiore
Tufts
UMass

Thanks!

BU
Brown
Tufts
Baylor
Montefiore

If you work hard you should be able to get GI from any of these places, so I think it's fine to go with geographic preference. And Brown is practically MA!

Hoping you guys could help me make some suggestions about my list. I am looking to go into cardiology EP and was wondering out of the programs I have what is the best chance I got. Location for me doesn't matter too much. After all cleveland has Lebron and Rochester, Minn got tunnels.

Yale
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Washington University at St Louis
University of Chicago
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Mayo
Case Western
Univ of Virginia
Univ of Pittsburgh
UAB
UNC

Please help rank

Interested in Hem/onc, prefer east coast, esp MA

Baylor
NYC
Montefiore
Umass
Dartmouth
Lahey Clinic
Jacobi
UTMB

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping you guys could help me make some suggestions about my list. I am looking to go into cardiology EP and was wondering out of the programs I have what is the best chance I got. Location for me doesn't matter too much. After all cleveland has Lebron and Rochester, Minn got tunnels.

Yale
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Washington University at St Louis
University of Chicago
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Mayo
Case Western
Univ of Virginia
Univ of Pittsburgh
UAB
UNC

Having no geographic preferences is great - I wish I could say the same for myself.

WashU = Michigan, Chicago=Mayo, Northwestern=Cornell=Yale, the rest I am less familiar with. Odds are you'll get one of your top 3.

Having no geographic preferences is great - I wish I could say the same for myself.

WashU = Michigan, Chicago=Mayo, Northwestern=Cornell=Yale, the rest I am less familiar with. Odds are you'll get one of your top 3.

I would say WashU=Michigan=Cornell; slight drop off to Yale=Mayo=Chicago; slight drop off to NW.

Cornell is hard to figure, they had one really unreal fellowship year, don't know why, for the class that graduated in June, 09.

I would say WashU=Michigan=Cornell; slight drop off to Yale=Mayo=Chicago; slight drop off to NW.

Cornell is hard to figure, they had one really unreal fellowship year, don't know why, for the class that graduated in June, 09.

Ya, the fellowship placement for that year was fantastic. All of the other years weren't as strong, unfortunately. Does anyone have NU's match list for years past?

Thinking cardiology..
In no particular order
Mayo R, Stanford, BIDMC, BWH, MGH, WashU, Cornell

Thinking heme-onc vs. GI. Perhaps heme-onc> GI but I would like to have options. Geography isn't that important.

Here's the list in no particular order:

Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Duke
WUSTL
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Baylor
Emory
Case Western

Thinking cardiology..
In no particular order
Mayo R, Stanford, BIDMC, BWH, MGH, WashU, Cornell

1. BWH
2. MGH
3. BIDMC=WashU=Cornell=Stanford
Slight drop off to Mayo R

All are very strong, but of course BWH and MGH are a cut above everything else.

Any opinions on Creighton vs St Louis University? I don't know if I want to subspecialize, but if I do, it'll probably be Hem-Onc or GI.

Can anyone help me rank these California programs?

Davis
Harbor-UCLA
USC
Cedars-Sinai
CPMC
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser SF

Thinking heme-onc vs. GI. Perhaps heme-onc> GI but I would like to have options. Geography isn't that important.

Here's the list in no particular order:

Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Duke
WUSTL
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Baylor
Emory
Case Western

Duke/Umich/Wustl
UT-Southwestern/Vandy/UChicago
Northwestern/Baylor
Emory/Case

I guess the top 3 was rather obvious, but figuring out how to rank those 3 is driving me insane.

I guess the top 3 was rather obvious, but figuring out how to rank those 3 is driving me insane.

Duke vs WashU vs Michigan

Honestly, I think you will have to base your decision on which city you liked best, which program's residents you saw yourself working with and the good old "gut feeling".
Now close your eyes and imaginge how you would feel if you woke up the morning after March day and realized you are going to spend the next three hectic years of your life in Durham, NC at Duke; in Ann Arbor, Michigan; in St. Louis, MO at WashU? There is your answer. Good luck - I don't think there is a wrong choice here.

I am currently interested in cards, but may change my mind and go into critical care or heme-onc. Can anyone help me rank these in terms of great training/education, reputation, resident happiness and fellowship match list?

In no particular order:
Einstein Montefiore
Uni of Southern Cali
UC Irvine
University of Pitt
Mt Sinai - NY
Beth Isreal - NY
Cleveland Clinic
Boston Uni
Northshore-LIJ
Dartmouth

Can anyone help me rank these California programs?

Davis
Harbor-UCLA
USC
Cedars-Sinai
CPMC
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser SF

Based on location, match list, research opportunities and strength of training
Harbor-UCLA
Davis
Cedars- Sinai
CPMC
USC

Sorry, I don't know much about Kaiser- Oakland or SF but they would be my last two.

Please help me rank these programs.. your input is greatly appreciated:
Single.. location doesn't matter that much.. looking for felloship probably GI..

UT Southwestern
U of Iowa
Univ of Minnesota
Univ of Kansas Medical Center
UMass
U of Arizona
Henry ford
Drexel
Washington Hospital Center

Please help me rank these programs.. your input is greatly appreciated:
Single.. location doesn't matter that much.. looking for felloship probably GI..

UT Southwestern
U of Iowa
Univ of Minnesota
UMass
U of Arizona
Henry ford
Drexel
Washington Hospital Center

Is there anything particular you are looking for? Fellowships in particular? Areas to live in? These places are in many different cities in the US, and many of them have different ways of functioning. So if you give us a better idea of things that are important for you, someone may be able to chip in.

I am currently interested in cards, but may change my mind and go into critical care or heme-onc. Can anyone help me rank these in terms of great training/education, reputation, resident happiness and fellowship match list?

In no particular order:
Einstein Montefiore
Uni of Southern Cali
UC Irvine
University of Pitt
Mt Sinai - NY
Beth Isreal - NY
Cleveland Clinic
Boston Uni
Northshore-LIJ
Dartmouth

MSSM > UPitt > BU > Monte

could some one please help with my rank order list, the location does not matter just rank based on the better training and education i would be getting:
1-the methodist hospital houston
2-Henry Ford
3-suny upstate
4-umdnj - newark
5-wright state univeristy
6-univeristy of missouri at kansas city UMKC
7-SIU
8-univeristy of miami miller school of medicine- atlantis

I'm wondering why people do not like CCF for IM residency.
1) I've been told my residents and interns in Cleveland Clinic that: most of their services do not have fellows, so they DO have autonomy - perhaps the fellows run the show if they are consulted?
2) working and doing research with doctors on top of their fields MUST somehow help with matching in good fellowships due to letters of recommendations right?
3) does coming from a good (top 20) medical school and going to Cleveland Clinic for IM residency help with getting into a good fellowship?

I have been reading this board off and on for years and finally decided to formally ask for a little rank advice.

I am interested in both Cards and primary care and I want a program with good community outreach opportunities as well as impressive fellowship results. Here they are alphabetically:

Boston University
Brown
Duke
Jefferson
MUSC
Northwestern
OHSU
Temple
Tufts
University of Chicago
University of North Carolina
University of Virginia
Wake Forest

Although I am from the South, I am interested in moving away for residency. Is there really such a huge difference between Duke and UNC, UofC, or NW as so many fervently claim on this board? In addition, I am particularly interested in how the ‘middle tier' programs (BU, Brown, Tufts, WF, UVa) compare to one another because none of these programs gave me a strong ‘gut' feeling either way.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

I have been reading this board off and on for years and finally decided to formally ask for a little rank advice.

I am interested in both Cards and primary care and I want a program with good community outreach opportunities as well as impressive fellowship results. Here they are alphabetically:

Boston University
Brown
Duke
Jefferson
MUSC
Northwestern
OHSU
Temple
Tufts
University of Chicago
University of North Carolina
University of Virginia
Wake Forest

Although I am from the South, I am interested in moving away for residency. Is there really such a huge difference between Duke and UNC, UofC, or NW as so many fervently claim on this board? In addition, I am particularly interested in how the ‘middle tier’ programs (BU, Brown, Tufts, WF, UVa) compare to one another because none of these programs gave me a strong ‘gut’ feeling either way.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

1. DUKE (yes there is a difference).
2. UCHICAGO
3. OHSU
4. Northwestern
5. BU
6-onward: Hard to rank, they are all solid programs but not at the level of the top 4....I put BU at 5th but I'm not sure how of a primary care focus they accomplish there. Places like Brown probably do better for that. But BU fellowship match list is unexpectedly fantastic.

OMG LOOSING SLEEP AND HAIR OVER RANK LIST........
PLZ HELP anyones 2 $ is appreciated.....
Wanted to go to program that will land me Cardiology Fellowship
I am single, good looking and dont care where I live next year (I kinda hate snow,but not that much)

Programs I am Ranking in alphabetical order

Baylor
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown
Emory
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Tulane
U of Chicago
U of Miami
UNC
UTSW
WashU

Your Help is greatly apppreciated :love:

I am single, good looking and dont care where I live next year (I kinda hate snow,but not that much)

Baylor
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown
Emory
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Tulane
U of Chicago
U of Miami
UNC
UTSW
WashU

1. WashU
2. UTSW
3. UChicago
4. UNC/Emory
5. Baylor
6. The rest I don't really know about but the above schools have a strong enough national reputation to not close any doors on you

Baylor
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown
Emory
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Tulane
U of Chicago
U of Miami
UNC
UTSW
WashU

If you were married, weren't very interested in being social, and wanted to rank the "name" that would get your a cards fellowship, I'd rank Mayo at the top.

I'd say your top 3 should be WashU, Cedars Sinai, and U of Chicago. I'm basing that mostly on location, reputation, fellowship match (all very impressive), and quality of general internal medicine training.

I'm wondering why people do not like CCF for IM residency.
1) I've been told my residents and interns in Cleveland Clinic that: most of their services do not have fellows, so they DO have autonomy - perhaps the fellows run the show if they are consulted?
2) working and doing research with doctors on top of their fields MUST somehow help with matching in good fellowships due to letters of recommendations right?
3) does coming from a good (top 20) medical school and going to Cleveland Clinic for IM residency help with getting into a good fellowship?

I'm not ranking it because I didn't get a great vibe there.

Believe you me, the residents are quite bright and had a great morning report, one of the best I saw on the interview trail. I was reasonably assured that they have good autonomy too.

And as I recall, their fellowship match was very good, on par with many excellent programs.

That said, you're training at a clinic, not at a university. You have to live in Cleveland (it's called "the mistake by the lake" for a reason). I didn't find the residents to be as social or interesting as other programs, and I felt like they were rather disconnected from the city. Other urban programs actually feel like part of the city, but not CCF.

And physically the CCF complex is a behemoth that is almost 100% painted in white walls. It's big and bland; it has the personality of an airport.

I want to do Pulm/CC and want great clinical training. Geography is not that important. I will try to finish my MPH during residency. Some of you have helped me before and I really appreciate it, but since then I have gone on second looks and this has changed my ROL. So I would appreciate any insight you could give me.

Tentative ROL:

VCU
Louisville
Iowa
Minnesota
Scott & White-Texas A&M
OU-OKC
UT-San Antonio
MetroHealth
Missouri-Columbia
South Carolina Palmetto
St. Vincent-Indianapolis
others

On a side note am I putting too much stock in gut feeling? I ask this because my ROL changed a lot of going on second looks.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I really liked Mayo Jacksonville when I interviewed there, but I have heard some people say that it isn't that great of a program. Wake is my other favorite.

Does anyone know anything about the Mayo program or know anyone that is in residency there or interviewed there?

Is there anything particular you are looking for? Fellowships in particular? Areas to live in? These places are in many different cities in the US, and many of them have different ways of functioning. So if you give us a better idea of things that are important for you, someone may be able to chip in.

I am looking for : best reputation and fellowship placement with Cards and GI as my most likely fellowship choices
I don't have any preferences in city, location weather or any other factors..

Thanks alot..

UT Southwestern
U of Iowa
Univ of Minnesota
UMass
U of Arizona
Henry ford
Drexel

Last edited:
I could use some opinions on my list as well. Interested in cards, and am having difficulty with my #3 and # 4 choice. I'm torn between going to a great program or a decent program in fun city, which is sort of my dilemma between choosing Mayo as my #3 vs a Chicago program...but I think the drop off is noticeable.

1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3/4. Mayo or UIC or Rush
5/6. Mayo or UIC or Rush or U of Minn

Here's the rest:
Georgetown
Loyola
UT-Houston
Tulane
U of Miami
USC

Still really torn about this, so any input would be appreciated.

I guess it depends on whether location or reputation is more important to you. Your #1 and #2 have both good locations and solid programs. If you decide fellowship potential is more important, Mayo should be #3 or higher. If city is your priority, then I put pick UIC or Georgetown after UTSW and Baylor.

Based solely on reputation, I would rank: UTSW=Mayo>Baylor>UIC=Georgetown>UT-Houston=UMinn then the rest

Based on BOTH reputation and city, I would rank:
UTSW>Baylor>UIC=Georgetown>UT-Houston then the rest

Did everyone receive the so-called "love letter" from Duke post-interview? I'm worried because I received no such thing (interviewed over 2 weeks ago). Scared that this is a reflection of my being fairly low on their ROL. :(

Did everyone receive the so-called "love letter" from Duke post-interview? I'm worried because I received no such thing (interviewed over 2 weeks ago). Scared that this is a reflection of my being fairly low on their ROL. :(

I believe everyone receives this.

The delayed timing may be secondary to entrapment neuropathy given the toll that it takes on one for writing all of these things.

I would NOT worry whether or not you receive one. Duke is doing a full court press because those that interview there have many other options. Rank it how you liked it.

I believe everyone receives this.

The delayed timing may be secondary to entrapment neuropathy given the toll that it takes on one for writing all of these things.

I would NOT worry whether or not you receive one. Duke is doing a full court press because those that interview there have many other options. Rank it how you liked it.

Agreed. I did not interview at Duke, but I think Duke lies in this precarious zone where they are very choosy about the kind of people they interview - many of them are also invited by MGH and UCLA (if they apply there), if not by Brighams and UCSF. So it appears to me that they go all out. I think this interesting (and precarious) situation is probably a reason they also did not rank enough candidates, and had to scramble a few years ago.

Catfish,

I've either interviewed at, away rotated, or have friends at most of those programs.

Here's a quick list to help.

UTSW -- not worth it. Too much stress for the return in education
Emory -- multihospital poor program financially.
UAB -- the residents looked miserable when I rotated here.
MUSC -- might be fun if you can live on the island. Top 3, depending on where you want to live. Avoid North Charleston, though.
WashU -- guaranteed fellowship. Malignant program.
Tulane -- great city to visit, hard to live in.
Houston Baylor -- all they have is a VA. Don't waste your time.
Dallas Baylor -- good program. Least academic of the list.
UT Houston -- Just came off probation 2-3 years ago. Enough said.
San Antonio HSC - drop this from your list. They suck.
UF Gainesville -- good program. Should be in your top tier. Nice city too. Top 3
UF Jacksonville -- drop it.
Mayo Jacksonville -- drop it
Scott and White, Temple TX -- town is lame (but great cost of living). Clinically they're fantastic. Great chances for fellowship here as well. Top 3
U of Tenn Memphis -- Do you like muggings in the hospital? If not, then drop it.

Catfish,

I've either interviewed at, away rotated, or have friends at most of those programs.

Here's a quick list to help.

UTSW -- not worth it. Too much stress for the return in education
Emory -- multihospital poor program financially.
UAB -- the residents looked miserable when I rotated here.
MUSC -- might be fun if you can live on the island. Top 3, depending on where you want to live. Avoid North Charleston, though.
WashU -- guaranteed fellowship. Malignant program.
Tulane -- great city to visit, hard to live in.
Houston Baylor -- all they have is a VA. Don't waste your time.
Dallas Baylor -- good program. Least academic of the list.
UT Houston -- Just came off probation 2-3 years ago. Enough said.
San Antonio HSC - drop this from your list. They suck.
UF Gainesville -- good program. Should be in your top tier. Nice city too. Top 3
UF Jacksonville -- drop it.
Mayo Jacksonville -- drop it
Scott and White, Temple TX -- town is lame (but great cost of living). Clinically they're fantastic. Great chances for fellowship here as well. Top 3
U of Tenn Memphis -- Do you like muggings in the hospital? If not, then drop it.

I love first posters.

Yes, apparently all their 3 years are spent in the VA at Baylor. Patients who come to Ben Taub General Hospital, where you can see pretty much any disease in the world, magically heal on their own. As do those at St Lukes Episcopal.

Cornell - just came off probation 6 months ago. More than enough said - please, nobody else rank it high. I will rank it high enough and match there because no one else would.

Please provide more basis for your opinions than just randomly trashing programs.

I am sure there are some people deciding between the so-called top medicine programs... how would you decide between MGH and UCSF? Other than location preference...

I am thinking either Heme/Onc or GIM as a possible future careers. Its probably frivolous agonizing over which to rank #1... just want to hear different perspectives/thoughts