Official 2008 Usmle Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings my brothers and sisters ,

I am new member here and will be taking my boards in another few months .
I thought I would start a thread devoted to a compilation of 2008 usmle experiences . I don't have anything to report as yet since my test is in a few month but anyone who has taken the test in 2008 please share with us your experience and feedback so we can keep the SDN tradition alive !

Good Luck :luck:

"Never , never , never , never Give up ! "

Members don't see this ad.

My school gives us the Comprehensive Shelf about 3 months before test time (got the equivalent of 195 on it, so was happy to atleast have passed before studying anything)...

We got about 7-8 weeks to study (April 1 til May 27th)

My studying followed closely the UPenn method (it was emailed around my school, if you want it you can PM me and I can send it over) with the substitution that I used BRS for every subject because I had read them while taking my classes, and also skimmed all the Lippencott's illustrated reviews (by skimmed, I mean, i did all of the Biochem in 1 day, all of the Micro and Pharm in 2 days)... I also did almost all of USMLEWorld (i think i had about 90% completed and pulled about a 76% on it) and most importantly, a few days before the exam reviewed all the questions i had gotten wrong (which I know 1 question which i got wrong both the first time and the time i redid the questions came up twice on the actual step 1, so i knew I nailed it... really felt good)...

2 weeks before i did the NBME3 and got a 250... i was excited and worried, now that i set my bar up pretty high. Went into the test, got into the zone and pretty much went straight thru with only a single break to go to the bathroom after 4-5 blocks. Breakdown was pretty path heavy i thought, I had like 30 pregnant women on my exam, and I can remember about 5 topics that I had 2 of the exact same questions on (hypoglycemia in child of dm pregnant woman, BCL-ABL is a proto-oncogene, mechanism of Cromlyn Sodium, and two that escape my mind since the test was over a month ago). Left it feeling it was really close to NBME-3 and would have been disappointed if I didn't do as well on it... score came back after 3weeks and 2 days (since they come out on wednesday and i took it on a monday) and got 254!

Moral of my story: Use the materials you are familiar with and comfortable with, you can learn a whole lot of stuff in the time you have to study, and if you are in a groove, keep going (i finished the entire test with about 2.5hrs of break time available to me). Also, I live with my wife (a MS1) and spent a lot of time with her (pretty much my days were study 9-5, break with her from 5-7ish, dinner, than questions from 8/9-11, bed) and I can't stress the necessity to have a life outside of this studying! You need to keep yourself balanced! It may seem like you don't have enough time, but by the end of my studying I felt like I wasn't learning anything, i was just trying not to forget anything I already new, and could have taken the test a week before I actually did

Man, I hope I get that same version.

Btw, strong work on your score. :thumbup:

I've never posted before, but I've benefited a lot from this thread, so I guess it's my turn.
General: About 40-50% of the test was pretty straightforward, 20-30% was along the lines of the more difficult UWorld questions, and maybe 10-20% of the test was WTF type questions. I think previous posters have pointed this out, and I guess when you're taking the test you just have to stay calm and relax when you're faced with the insane biochem/pharm/mol bio they throw at you (in my case anyway).
In terms of content:
A/V: One heart sound at the end of the first block, which I was not expecting that early. Luckily the question could be answered without the audio.
Embryo: Maybe 3-5 questions overall. Could be answered by FA.
Pharm: A mix of easy and hard. Lots of endo/cardio drugs, and a few exotic side effects I could not remember. A couple drugs I had never heard of before.
Micro: This was straightforward. No worms, 1 parasite, 1 virus, mainly bacteria. Know your bacteria, abx sensitivities ec. The NBME really loves those STDs.
Behav Sci: Most of the quote questions were easy, with a couple where none of the answers seemed good to me. I had a decent amount of biostats--maybe 2-3 per block, but mostly straightforward stuff with a couple crazy ones thrown in for good measure. There was a decent amount of psych also.
Biochem: Ugh. More than I wanted and questions seemed very nitpicky.
Mol Bio: There was a lot of it. This is usually my strong area, but I found myself having to dig back to my premed mol bio class to answer some of these. Some questions I had no idea about. Lots of experimental results where you had to interpret the data.
Neuro: Lots of neuroanatomy. Tons of photos of all kinds of brains--cross sections, CTs, whole gross brains, you name it, it was there. Luckily the questions themselves were pretty straightforward. Also lots of "where is the lesion?" type questions.
Physiology: Most of the physiology was tested with the pathology. There were relatively few straight physio questions. Lots of electrolyte/acidosis/alkalosis stuff.
Path/Pathophysiology: This seemed like the easiest part of the exam. I'm not sure if Goljian prepared me well, or if this was just in comparison to the insanity of some of the other detailed questions. The pictures were almost always helpful. Lots of arrow questions.
Anatomy: Apart from the neuro, there were a few limb questions, and then some tricky vasculature and one CT where I had no idea what the hell they were pointing at. I guess that is to be expected.

Overall: I didn't expect the easy questions to be so easy or the hard questions to be so hard. I guess you are stuck with the exam you get, and I wasn't thrilled with mine. I also was not expecting that many small detail-type questions (but maybe this is recall bias on my part). I think I got a really difficult test overall. The blocks were comparable in difficulty to UWorld, with a few more blocks being even more difficult. I think that UWorld, Goljian and FA prepared me reasonably well, although I guess you have to accept that there will be things on the test that none of these resources will prepare you for adequately. I think the most frustrating questions for me were the ones where I knew the answer was straightforward, but I just could not remember the side effect/enzyme etc, since I am guessing that those were technically "easy" questions that should not have been missed.
Will add my score and study methods if score is any good. By the end of my study period I was scoring upper 70s in UWorld on random timed blocks, but I didn't feel that I came even close to that on the real thing.

Well I finally took the test today and here is my story….

About me: In undergrad I was an ok student. Pretty good GPA(>3.3), but horrible MCAT scores (13, 18, and finally 21). I am a horrible, horrible standardized test-taker. I can not pass a standardized test to save my life. Anyways after multiple rejections from several med schools, I almost gave up. I was a week away from joining the Navy, becoming an aviator and saying goodbye to my medical career. Then a letter came in the mail and it said I had been accepted into a post-bac program. Not a med student but a conditional program that if you bring your MCAT scores high enough we can accept you. Thought about it, talked it over with some friends and decided to go with it. When I started the program I was very relaxed with it. Did not take it to seriously. I also found a job (probably my first mistake). Just got C's and got the MCAT score that was acceptable. Then when I started med school, at the time, they had a 5-year program and a 4-year program. I decided to go with the 5-year program (mistake #2). It put me so far behind with the rest of my peers and it was just taking soo long. And in class I was just breezing by. Just barely making it. And for each class I had to take a standardized shelf exam. And you had to pass in order to move forward. I ended up taking several shelf exams over because I failed. On the brink of repeating a course every time. Then it was time to take the step 1 exam.

And here are my scores….

Scores:

MCAT (‘01)__________21
[Kaplan Program] (05/2005)
Step 1 (9/22/05)______148 (Fail):mad:
NBME 2 (1/28/07)____151
Step 1 (2/28/07)______155 (Fail):mad:
[PASS Program] (08/2007)
NBME 2 (11/30/07)___160
NBME 3 (2/7/08)_____163
NBME 1 (4/10/08)____178
[Officially started real preparation] (5/1/08)
NBME 4 (5/16/08)____192
NBME 5 (5/23/08)____190
NBME 3 (5/30/08)____209
NBME 2 (6/13/08)____214
NBME 6 (6/21/08)____201
USMLE free practice test (6/23/08)___70% (medfriends-214; wikitestprep-209)
Step 1 (6/26/08)______199 (PASS) Yipee!!! (The last time….)

Why such long a test preparation? Well I really wasn't focused on studying in the beginning. I had a lot of things going on in my life that took time away from school, when school should have been my priority. Things happen and hindsight is always 20/20. Looking back I would have done a lot of things differently.

My original preparation:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6630125&postcount=93

What I actually did:
Resources:
FA – of course! 3-hole-punched it. Added notes, diagrams, and charts.
BRS Physio – Can't stress this book enough. For me, I needed it because my foundation was seriously lacking and I needed a good grasp of physio as my base and this book did it for me. Read all the sections except GI. Took notes from all the sections except GI and added to FA.
RR Path – It was ok. Helped explain a lot of pathophys. Pics I didn't care too much about. The style it was written I didn't like either. What helped me the most was the blue boxes and margin notes. Book was too much for me to read in a short period of time. You really have to get this book and use it through your 2nd year classes.
Goljan Audio – I am a big audio learner so this helped out tremendously! But I was only able to get through the first 3 days and half of the fourth day.
Pharm Recall – Used it sparingly. Did not get through the whole book. Used it when I was confused with what was in FA or just needed the extra revivew.

All the other resources I listed before I really could not get to them all. I wanted to, but it was too much for me to read and I really wanted to comprehend the stuff I was reading.

Q-banks:
Kaplan – about 80% done. Around 65% average.
UW – 100% done. Started at 40 % average. Worked it up to 60-65% average in the end. Did it unused, timed, blocks of 50. In the beginning of my preparations I left out micro, biochem, and pharm. Saved those towards then end. Which I probable shouldn't have done, but I felt they were crammable. I do not recommend you doing this. After I was done with the q-bank, I went over my incorrects, started getting 75-80%.
Wikitestprep – just for fun. Questions were not that great, but I just wanted the practice since I exhausted all the other qbanks and this one was free.

So finally!!!

Test Day: Nervous as hell. Got there 7:30am. Read over my FA a little. Checked in at 8:30am. Took 2 blocks and then break. Another 2 blocks and then lunch. Took 2 more blocks and break. Then finally did the last block. In between breaks I would read my FA to refresh my memory.

The breakdown….

Anatomy – Most of it was straight forward. A few x-rays and a lot of CTs. Be able to read those. And they kept asking about attachments of muscle to bone, where the nerve travels, pierces what muscle, what is lost. I highly recommend a supplement to FA on this. The pelvic plexis is a must. Know where those nerves go and pierce and brachial plexus too. Sensory innervation, etc, etc.

Behavioral Science – Just some comic relief. Pretty straightforward too. A lot of those quotation answers, what would you say, or do next. Just know what a responsible doctor would do. Never refer, have a consult, or dismiss the patient. Stuff like that. A handful of psych questions. Some were very easy, personality disorders, defense mech. Know how to differentiate between all the schizo's.

Biochemistry – Heavy in this area for me. I'm glad I reviewed this area the day before. A lot of key enzymes, deficiencies, molecular stuff. RNA, DNA. Metabolism. Vitamin deficiencies, etc. Know the key amino acids and what they produce.

Biostatistics – Not soo much in this category. Only a handful and all of them were relatively easy. No tricks here, Just know those equations, sn, sp, npv, ppv, odds ratio, etc. Be able to construct a 2x2 table. Not as hard as the UW Qs.

Embryo – Only 2 Q. I guessed on both and I think I got one right. Very low-yield indeed.

Genetics – A handleful of genetics Qs. Be able to recognize inheritance patterns and know the various definitions of the genetic terms. Some of these Qs were outrageous. I just had to guess. Be able to calculate probability. Again, not as hard as UW.

Histology – A few histo Qs. All very easy and basic stuff. Do UW and you'll be fine.

Immunology – Heavy on Immuno. Know those cytokines, who produces them, where is it being produced from. Know those inside and out. I know I may have gotten a few of those wrong but it is very doable if you just drill those cytokines. Know the Hypersensitivities inside and out. Not too many immune disorders. Here FA was enough except for 1 or 2 cytokines. Just be sharp on those.

Micro – Again very, very, very heavy on micro. Soo many micro Qs, it was coming out my ears. Know those bugs, stains, virulence factors. A lot of bacteria and viruses, esp HIV. Very few on fungus. And I don't remember too many parasites or helminthes. UW was good for this too but again UW went into too much detail. Don't forget to review all the other info in FA. I made too many stupid mistakes, I could just kick myself.

Path/Pathophys/Phys – A decent amount. I had no problem with 90% of path thanks to Dr. Goljan. He really helped get through and understand path a lot better. Reading thru his book is torture. I think this area was well covered. Heavy topics include neuro (really need to get an atlas or HY neuro, FA was not enough), CV, renal, hepatobiliary, endocrine. Know those arrows, up, down, sideways. If something increases, what will decrease. They love this stuff. A lot of arrows. UW was ok, but it wasn't adequate enough for me, I really wish I could have gotten through more physio Qs somethwhere.

Pharm – Well represented as well. A handful of pharmicokinetics. Enzyme relationships. Where certain enzymes are activated. Know the list in FA, the endocrine section of those enzymes. Very high-yield. G-protein receptors, know inside and out. Drugs and side effects. A lot musculoskel Qs and endocrine. Know these drugs well.

A/V question – I just had one. Heart sound. Had no clue what I was listening to. The history gave it away, so I really did not need to listen. Just for fun I guess.

Sorry for not being specific, but don't want to get in trouble by USMLE or the mods.

Overall: The test is very doable. Everybody says this and I really didn't believe them, but it is true. The test as far as difficulty level from easiest to hardest was NBME>>Step 1>UW. For me UW wasn't all that difficult. Step 1 was hard for me because my foundation was weak. If your foundation is good and you did well in classes then you should have no problem. Also I think it is a must to do as many questions as possible. I had 4000+ Qs and it still wasn't enough. At least for me. Make sure you do all of the NBMEs. There is a reason why they don't give out the answers. Go though as many questions as you can and make sure you understand all the explanations.

My advice: Know thyself. You know what you need to do. Just figure out your weaknesses and hit them hard. It seems tough but you got to do it. Everybody has a great study plan. That's great for them, but you really have to figure out what is good for you. For many months I was listening to what others said was good and great. It wasn't until I searched within myself did I find what I needed to do. Set your own study plan, set a goal and stick with it. You can do it! I know I may be speaking to the minority here, but I'm sure there are people out there that can benefit from my story. You are not alone. Soo many people have taken this stupid test before and passed and I know all of you can too. I may be premature in saying all this but this is not the end of the road for me. I'm gonna get through this. All I can do is put in all my effort and leave it in His hands to do the rest….

God bless everyone and thanks SDN for this forum and thank you to all the people who helped me along the way.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow....I can't believe it's over.....lol. Anyway, I'll try to do my best to give you an idea about my test (I could give you my life story and study methods but don't think anyone would care without a score :laugh:):

Anatomy – I had a lot of CTs, MRIs, X-rays, gross sections, and diagrams. They would describe a pathologic state and ask you to diagnose the patient given the visual clue from imaging. I found it to be fairly reasonable. I'd estimate that a good 20-30% of the test had a visual clue where anatomy knowledge could help you answer the question.

Behavioral Science/Biostats – I don't want to say this was fun, but I did enjoy getting to turn off my left brain for these few questions. For the most part, you could narrow them down to 2 possibilities and then you'd have to think and make your best guess. However, there were plenty of straightforward ones too. Biostats was not bad either. Know how to interpret a 2x2 table (duh) and what sensitivity, specificity, prevalence, incidence mean when applied to a situation. I did have 1 question where I had to think back to undergrad biology (evolution and phylogeny crap) to remember what an answer choice meant.

Biochemistry – I'd say 70% of it was straightforward (meaning if you did the holy trinity of UW/FA/Goljan you heard about it being emphasized) and 30% was nitpicky specifics about enzyme deficiencies asking you to identify on a diagrammed pathway the step that was affected by the deficiency (maybe there are biochem lovers out there that find this stuff easy though). I got 2-3 glycogen storage disorders, lysosomal storage disorders, etc which I thought were fair (not easy, but fair).

Embryo – I had maybe 5 with pictures of deformed babies and them asking what went wrong in development to cause it. Nothing too crazy here.

Genetics – Know your genes and which diseases are associated with which chromosomes (FA covers this). I did have a few pedigrees where it helped to know if a disease was X-linked recessive, autosomal recessive/dominant, etc to figure out the chance that some kid would get the disease. I had a Hardy-Weinberg question too. Overall, most of the questions were fair and could be answered if you used the holy trinity.

Histology – Like with anatomy, they give you a nice story and the pic to help you diagnose the patient. Nothing crazy here and I felt it was reasonable.

Immunology – Know all of the IL-whatevers and the popular CDs. I was asked about a drug in the context of what CD marker it targeted. Again, most of this was sort of familiar based on having read the holy trinity so it was reasonable.

Micro – I got some easy ones, medium difficulty (two step q's), and some tough ones. The tougher ones were clinically-oriented where you had to pick a drug likely to be effective based on them telling you which ones the patient was allergic too or the culture was resistant too (not sure how I could prep for this but take my best guess). KNOW ALL ABOUT HIV/AIDS opportunistic infections. I had a tough clinical question that required me to reason out the pathogen rather than just regurgitate based on the most common cause. I didn't get any helminths (yay) but did get plenty of fungi, and of course bacteria. Know about which drugs to use to kill gram +, gram -, etc so that you can culture certain bacteria types only and kill the ones you don't want.

Path/Pathophys/Phys – Pathology was tied into the other areas so much that it is hard to distinguish it separately but for the most part it was nothing new. Physio was integrated into the other areas as well, but I got the arrow questions as well as the renal nephron diagram and acid/base stuff. Endocrine phys was also emphasized along with reproductive phys.

Pharm – Plenty of cardiac/renal drugs, antibiotics, pain management, drug addicts needing antidotes, etc. Of course, there were some minor drugs (cancer drugs and herbals) that I never heard of and didn't care to memorize (f u nbme!). If you want to memorize all of those drugs, go ahead. More power to you. Know about where drugs work on the synapses (they'll show you a diagram of a synapse and ask where drug X acts). Of course, I got the common drug side effect questions as well but most were straightforward.

A/V question – I just had one. Heart sound. Based on what I thought I heard, I had to pick the answer choice that corresponded to what pathological change in the heart corresponded to the sound.

Overall impression: I am so glad to be done with this. What a horrible way to waste a summer! If you did UW/FA/Goljan and took notes on things you didn't know and then read those notes again you should be good. Personally, I think UW helped improve my score/knowledge a good 10-15% per 50q block. UW also gave me the confidence to face the Step 1 questions because I knew I had seen much tougher questions on UW and didn't let my eyes glaze over looking at somewhat unfamiliar material. One important thing to note is that the actual test had considerably longer questions (I'm talking a big paragraph with lab data and then another mini paragraph below) than UW. If you can read fast and put it together then read it in order while highlighting the pertinent info and then skim back over the highlighted info once you know the question. If you kinda go nuts reading all of the comorbidities I might suggest reading the final line first. Other than that, UW was very good prep (I had one question that was almost exactly the same as a UW one...no joke) while FA helped to organize all of the material into sections. UW should be considered just as necessary as FA is considered for Step 1 prep. I felt well prepared just using these 2 sources with Goljan audio sprinkled in during down time.

I would also echo what overfiend said about study plans. I tried to follow ones I saw here but found out it wasn't working for me to have such a rigid plan. I had to change it up to doing more questions instead of reading so many review books. I learned much more from question banks than reading textbooks or review books. It was just too painful for me to read one specific book on one subject continuously (I felt like I was wasting my time studying these specifics when it would be more high yield to focus on general things from all areas). I found that the qbanks allowed me to actively study by forcing me to constantly apply what I knew (and thus strengthen my knowledge and give me more confidence in applying the material) and was much more tolerable for me. If you feel like someone else's study plan isn't working, then your intuition may be right and don't be afraid to change it up. Only you know what is best for you.

And with that, I am spent.

Good luck to all my fellow M2.9s on the boards and in the wards! :hardy:

I'm an average medical student (skipped most class, slept in as much as possible), average to good standardized test taker.

Averaged about 67% on UW, random, untimed. Never got higher than 82% on only single one block.

The biggest mistake I made in board preparation was not knowing the most high-yield to study. I read all of FA very thoroughly. Read/skimmed BRS path and physiology, memorized Leppincott's pharm cards, Lange Pathology flashcards. Worked through Kaplan Qbook, First Aid Qbook, Levinson micro questions, and Appleton/Lange Path Qbook, Robbins Pathology Review Qbook. In retrospect, I should have gone on SDN, and studied Goljan and used UW much earlier. I didn't open UW until 10 days before my test. In retrospect, I think the best way to study for this monster is to keep on doing questions after questions and reviewing what you don't understand instead of first reviewing material and then using Qbank after you review.

I got around 235-240 on NBME4 and 5, but I think I got probably around 10 points lower on the real thing. I know quite a few questions I got wrong already.

As for my test form there was disproportionate number of ethical questions, immunology, basic science (replete with experiments and findings), anatomy:

Anatomy: ~20 Questions, lots of tendon insertions and which muscle is anterior/posterior, gun shot wounds. This was mad hard. First Aid was probably good for only 25% of the questions. My recommendation is to scrap FA anatomy and start memorizing HY Anatomy because a lot of people I know complained how many hard anatomy questions they got.
Embryo: waste of time. 3 Qs. These questions were ones you could have gotten even without studying.
Pharm: ok, FA was good for around 80% of the questions
Biostats/Ethics: ~20 questions. Some of these ethical scenarios were hard. I always could eliminate it to 2 choices.
Physiology: very endocrine heavy.
Pathology: I'm really surprised, I got few questions regarding heart and lungs and lots of questions about the kidney
Neuro: very doable.
Biochem: Not a lot of questions, very little pathways and more genetics based.
Immuno: lots. FA was not enough. Appleton/Lange Qbook is money for cytokines, immunogens, hypersensitivity reactions, cell markers, tumor markers.
Micro: aside from the weird viral protein products, this was very doable, but not a lot questions tested. Memorizing helminths, protozoans complete waste of time.

I wished if I had to do it over again, I would have reviewed Goljan pathology during school, and in order of review:

Robbins Pathology Review Qbook (pure gold, ~1000 Qs)
Kaplan Qbook (alright, some questions were on Step, ~800 Qs)
First Aid Qbook (~800 Qs)
USMLERx (if I had one more week, I would do this)
UW (pure gold, save the best for last)

I'll be ecstatic if I get 230, satisfied if I get 220. I put in around 95% of my hardest, and thats all that matters because you can't fault yourself if you have tried your best.

Took the beast yesterday. Thanks in advance to everyone on this forum for helping me out. You all were tremendous help.

Exam day:

got to the test at 8:00 and they let me start as soon as I got there, seats comfortable, people were really nice, and the exam room was quiet for the most part.

The exam itself:

Overall: I thought the exam was really hard but still manageable if you had put your time in. In terms of difficulty, i found the questions to be comparable in difficulty to UW. Much harder than NBME 6 but closer, yet more difficult than the dificulty of NBME 3. This is a pathology/pathophys exam-assessing your overall understanding of the first 2 years of med school. Questions on the exam that assessed direct memory regurgitation were extremely scarce. Every question that I had on my exam would start out with a case, give you vitals, a physical exam, and then ask you some wierd question about why something happens in a certain dz. like for example, i had a question that went through the entire scenario of wilson's-but then asked you why copper builds up in the body (can't excrete into bile). question stems were unbelievably long, at least 2-3 times the length of UW. about 40% of the questions were associated with either a gross photo, ct/mri/xray/barium study/arteriogram/venogram/histology. this was something that i wasn't expecting. the long questions overall didn't signficantly affect my timing as you learn to filter all the junk that they give you in the paragraph. use the highliting feature, it's a big help to help gear you in to the important facts in the question stem when you get these monstrous passages to scan. I usually finished UW blocks with 15-20 minutes to spare, and significantly slowed down on the real test. I usually finished with 10-12 minutes to spare, and on one block i only like 5 minutes. i was able to go back and go through the questions that i marked on each block and sometimes I went back and gained confidence on my answers and even changed some of them. overall i marked 15 questions on average per block-i.e. i usually mark when i'm not entirely sure of the answer. of course there were probably others within the block that i didn't mark that i should have, so we'll see. 15 questions seems like a lot, as I know that to do well on the NBME's you couldn't miss more than 5 to 6 per block. what do you guys think? 15 a lot to mark per block?

Behavioral: This was HUGELY represented on my exam. I can't tell you how many patient-doctor questions i got on this freaking test. I probably had at least 4-5 of those per block. And ALL of these were difficult. They weren't your standard ethical questions. just real wierd kinda questions. questions like, mother catches her 14 year old son smoking, what do you tell her?, every single one of these I had down to 2, and felt like i chose the wrong one every time. These were the hardest questions on my exam. period.
You can't prepare for these-because no book out there will have the capacity to give you so many scenarios as to give you the same on that you will encounter on step 1. I had 2-3 questions on defense mechanisms/personality disorders and maybe 2-3 pysch questions. overall, this section was UW's weakness. the questions on UW were way to easy in the behioral section, in my opinion, and def. underprepare you for the real thing. This was something i was dreading getting on my exam, and of course it was heavy on my test.

Biostats: I also had a fair amount of biostats on my exam. Probably right around 25-30 question or so. I was well prepared for these question i thought just by doing UW and kaplan. The best way to prepare for these questions is to do all the 60 or so biostats questions in UW a day or two before your test, and then read over the 30 pages in kaplan behavioral sciences book. there wasn't a single biostats question on there that wasn't covered in UW. It was so money. they asked typical stuff: PPV, NPV, sensitivity, specifity, p values, confidence intervals, mean/mode/st.dev, interpreting studies, telling what kind of study something is (case control, cohort, etc.). no everything there is to know about p values and confidence intervals, those were easily 5 questions on my exam. oh and know odds ratio and the formula of number needed to treat and also those biparabolic graphs with dz'd and non-dz'd and if you move the vertical bar from x to y what happens to sensitivity spec, PPV, NPV, etc etc. etc.

Neuroanatomy: Only had 1 brain stem lesion asking you to localize the region to the base of the pons after the person had abducens palsy and CST lesions. Had maybe 5-10 CT/MRI/gross brain pictures asking you to identify things like broca's, caudate n., had an epidural ct- described a classical clinical presentation for epidural hematoma. i had one spinal cord cross-section describing a vignette and then making you point to LCST. had a couple cranial nerve palsies, know that the nucleus tractus solitarious is involved in the baroreceptor reflex, also had a carbon monoxide poisoning making u point to the globus pallidus on a coronal slice.

Anatomy: This was actually pretty tough, a couple ue/le nerve lesions, but mostly CT's/MRI's that were really tough here. These question were very difficult in my opinion, but i'm the world's worst anatomy student.

Biochem: Had very little of this. Maybe 10 questions or so asking about rate-limiting enzymes, and mainly enzyme deficiencies. i had 3-6 enzyme kinetics kind of questions, these were tough i thought. know this stuff well. know first aid dz's cold-all these questions could be answered from first aid. these questions-with the exception of maybe 1 or so were all easy. i've noticed this "little biochem" trend on many posters and it seems like the step 1 is moving away from this subject and more towards pathology/pathophys....

Pharm: Had about 4-5 pharm questions every block, but this, again, was pretty tough. Couple gimmes, but all most ALL my questions were "pt. gets started on this drug for this condition, here are a list of 10 drugs that he is on, pt. all of a sudden develops...., what's the mechanism of the drug interaction?" these interactions weren't easy CYP450 inhibition/inducers kinda stuff, they were specific kind of interactions that you just had to know. very little autonomics on my exam. KNOW your second messengers-had maybe 20 questions or so asking you about hormones binding to receptors and stuff. know this absolutely cold. it's easy and quick to memorize and will get you many points. i did have a few pharmacokinetic calculations-so know those equations well.

Micro: This was very scarce on my test. Had maybe 2-3 micro questions per block on my test. and all the micro that i had with the exception of 1 or 2 were straight-forward. it was mainly molecular microbiology, asking you about experimental ****.

Path: boy oh boy oh boy. i consider myself a good pathology student, i read goljan twice and knew it quite well, but damn what this freaking hard. really hard. every dang question asked you about how something worked. no real emphasis on a certain subject-had quite a bit of renal pathology though. The best way to study for this section is to read goljan and know it, and then to read costanzo physiology and complement the path with phys and to make connections with stuff. the boards will link stuff like crazy and will really make you think outside of the box. 70% of my exam was path/pathophys.

Immuno: this section was scarce, also had maybe one IL question, but mostly about reactions in the body occuring and what leukocyte would primarily be involved. one question on HIV that was simple. Had a couple difficult questions asking about the structuer of MHC receptors, know these well-i definetily missed them.

Phys: Had the typical endocrine arrows, a couple cardiac function curves, but this section was well incorporated with pathology-had a wierd question about what happened to abdominal pressure, intrapleural pressure, airway
resistance when you sneezed.

Overall this exam was hard. UW was a very good resource in terms of giving you questions that make you think outside of the box. I had maybe 2-3 identical questions from UW. goljan is a must. know this book-this man is a god. there's a reason why there's so much rave about his book-cuz it's damn high yield. I was scoring alright on my NBME's and had a 70% cum average in uworld.

i was hoping for 240's on this test, but honestly would be happy with anything above 225 now. for as hard as i worked, i don't feel that i payed off in the end. i'm happy that this freaking test is over.

good luck to all of you, if you have any specific question, feel free to PM me, i'll post my scores when I get them...

got my USMLE score: 238/99. Still shocked and I got my score like 2 months ago.

Last edited:
i think all of these have been examples of people coming into the test with certain expectations, seeing something different, and then overthinking themselves to death. thinking less is more!

Waiting for the score is killing me. Anyone heard of anyone who choked? I wasnt that i panicked but I felt like i made way too many stupid mistakes on the real thing. It also felt much harder than any of the practice tests, with way more picky phys and not that much path. Should i be worried? Don't feel like any way I got a 240 or better because from the practice tests, I know what getting a high score should just feel like, if that makes sense to anyone but me.
Anyone ever heard of a collapse like that?
And, yes, i know that i'm just being an anal retentive, worrisome a-hole, but we're all worrying and all we can do is wait and try to enjoy not studying for step 1.

UW sim exam 4 weeks out : 252
NBME 3 (3 weeks out): 245
Kaplan full length 2 weeks out: 256
NBME 2 (one week out) wanted to pick an easier one so as to not freak myself out so close to test: 256

Waiting for the score is killing me. Anyone heard of anyone who choked? I wasnt that i panicked but I felt like i made way too many stupid mistakes on the real thing. It also felt much harder than any of the practice tests, with way more picky phys and not that much path. Should i be worried? Don't feel like any way I got a 240 or better because from the practice tests, I know what getting a high score should just feel like, if that makes sense to anyone but me.
And, yes, i know that i'm just being an anal retentive, worrisome a-hole, but we're all worrying and all we can do is wait and try to enjoy not studying for step 1.

NBME 2 (one week out) wanted to pick an easier one so as to not freak myself out so close to test: 256

look, i've come to the conclusion that these NBME people have some sort of clue of what they're doing. There are harder tests and there are easier tests. I got a hard one, too. I know exactly what you mean about "just not feeling it", that was the main thing troubling me after I left the test. But if you had a really easy test you would have had to have gotten a lot more right than if you were given a really hard one, ya dig? Chances are you crushed it, considering your practice scores so just have faith in the system. I'm banking on the same.

I'm in the exact same position. similar practice exam scores, and knew they "felt good" as I was taking them. as for the real exam, it didn't feel so hot. I marked more and guessed more. I guess we'll see in a few weeks how well our prep/practice exams predicted our true score. best of luck to you.

yea, i feel better knowing im amongst similar company. i did well on NBME's and only marked 5-7 per section (i think) of which i could have only marked 2-3 since i was quite sure of the other marked questions. but the real thing was very different. i think i got a hard test too, and i marked like 9-16 per section and i was definitely guessing (never did this on an nbme) on a few crazy phys and few ambiguous biochem questions (normally my strength). yea, i also want to believe in the "system" so that things work out in the end...altho july 16 is getting closer, it's still pretty far away!

What's up with this July 16th date? where did it come from? When I finished step 1, it said expect 6 weeks until scores are sent. July 16th is much earlier than this in my case. can somebody fill me in?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i got a hard test too, and i marked like 9-16 per section and i was definitely guessing (never did this on an nbme)

i think this reflects the fact that every question on an NBME "counts", while the real deal probably has somewhere between 30-50(?) experimental questions.

also, i remember hearing that 75% of the experimental questions never end up transitioning to standard items, which reflects the fact that most people get them wrong and you shouldn't sweat it. if the 30-50 figure is right, and we split the difference and call it 40, that means an additional 5-6 questions per block that you're more likely to mark and have no idea about.

i think this reflects the fact that every question on an NBME "counts", while the real deal probably has somewhere between 30-50(?) experimental questions.

also, i remember hearing that 75% of the experimental questions never end up transitioning to standard items, which reflects the fact that most people get them wrong and you shouldn't sweat it. if the 30-50 figure is right, and we split the difference and call it 40, that means an additional 5-6 questions per block that you're more likely to mark and have no idea about.

for this to be right, you are assuming that the experimental questions are scattered throughout the test blocks. I have no idea how the experimental questions really are distributed, but what you are saying only holds true if the experimental questions are distributed and not contained within one section.

I have not posted on here for a long time, but I have benefited from many that have come before me and I am obliged to do my part.

I took it on Thurs. June 26.

I studied for the test using the usual material. Overall. FA + Goljan + UW = GOLD. You don't need anything else.

Overall test impression: Tests the basics. Don't lose sight of that. For example, they don't care about the whole glycolytic pathway, but the important steps - the ones that produce an ATP or regulated.

I am still so tired, but overall the test is VERY doable. I was so nervous before walking in there.

Like its been said before, this is just another hurdle we have to tackle. If you can get past your nerves, you can destroy this test.

for this to be right, you are assuming that the experimental questions are scattered throughout the test blocks. I have no idea how the experimental questions really are distributed, but what you are saying only holds true if the experimental questions are distributed and not contained within one section.

The experimental questions are all scattered, mainly for the point that they don't want you to know whether a question is real or experimental because they want you to sweat each question the same... also, I believe its up to 50 (old version) meaning you could theoretically have a test with 0 experimentals (I know my exam I can't really pinpoint any questions that I felt were way out there...)

An amendment to my previous story...
I am a note card lover, and highly used every set of BRS flashcards, as well as Pathcards and Lange's Pharm cards and those also were a major help (especially the biochemistry BRS flashcards)

The experimental questions are all scattered, mainly for the point that they don't want you to know whether a question is real or experimental because they want you to sweat each question the same... also, I believe its up to 50 (old version) meaning you could theoretically have a test with 0 experimentals (I know my exam I can't really pinpoint any questions that I felt were way out there...)

How can you be so certain? Usually, someone will say something less definite. How can you be sure what you are saying is correct?

I seems logical -since they are looking for valid data- to have the experimentals scattered throughout the exam.

Honestly I couldnt tell which were experimental and which werent. I figured it would be obvious. It wasnt

I'm just wondering why everyone thinks that experimental questions are only the difficult ones? Why can't some of the easy ones also be experimental?

I am assuming the point of experimental questions is to determine if a question is flawed (bimodal or trimodal answer distribution), too easy or too difficult. The NBME has to write questions that are easy, medium, and hard, so one would think that experimental questions are any of the three.

does this make sense? or am i way off?

I'm just wondering why everyone thinks that experimental questions are only the difficult ones? Why can't some of the easy ones also be experimental?

I am assuming the point of experimental questions is to determine if a question is flawed (bimodal or trimodal answer distribution), too easy or too difficult. The NBME has to write questions that are easy, medium, and hard, so one would think that experimental questions are any of the three.

does this make sense? or am i way off?

No you are not way off, as I have always believed this as well. I have heard some arguments that experimental questions are placed in only one section to prevent the experimental types from affecting the performance on the 'real' questions as It would be too hard to compare how two students are doing on a 'real' question if they had different and in some cases flawed experimental questions side by side with 'real' questinos.

Anybody think they will release any more scores before July 16th? I took Step 1 on June 2nd. I'm hoping I will definitely get my score back by then. That will be a little over six weeks.

hey guys/gals. Took the exam recently. Thought about not posting since most of the things I thought I would have to say have already been said ad nauseum. But my experience was a little bit different, so I will go ahead and point out what made it different.

Did well in 2nd year, which as many say is the biggest key to this exam.

Had about 6.5 weeks to study. Started off and read through MMRS in 2 days and then "devoured" BRS Path in 2.5 days. Took NBME 1 with 5.5 weeks left and got a 245. then started into USMLE World.

That's where my studying probably differs from most. I spent so much time with USMLE World it was kind of sickening. Sickening in a good way... :) I did 50 questions in the "morning" ... from 9 am until 1:30 pm. Timed, Random from the get go. Read every answer, right and wrong. "Marked" all the ones I missed, all the ones I did not get right for the right reasons and those that I thought had great extra info in the explanation section. After the morning session I studied a chapter or two of FA and/or BRS phys and/or Goljan. Would get home and then do another 50 questions. This all translated into about 9-10 hours a day with USMLE World and 4-5 studying other things.

Pretty grueling, but it allowed me to get through all of World with about 2 weeks to go before the exam. By that time I had marked 1000 of the 2000 questions. On the first run through I averaged mid to upper 70's in the first blocks I did and ended averaging mid to upper 80's for a cumulative average of 82%. I started working through the 1000 I had marked and was a little faster this time but it still took a lot of time.

I wasn't too worried that I was being inefficient with my time. Even the 2nd time through I found myself stumped on some of the questions and averaged about 95% missing 2 or 3 per block. And I thought it worthwhile to repeat the questions.

After having taken the exam I can say there was not really any "direct" overlap on my exam with World. World teaches you more about struggling through the difficult questions and making best guesses. I was never a fast test taker, but using World so much I felt confident going into the exam because I was very well acquianted with the "pacing" of a block. I finished all of my sections on the actual exam with about 10 minutes remaining and used that time to go back and look at the ones that needed a little more thinking or confirmation.

I don't know if I would recommend my study program for others. I had no official plan from beginning to end. I kept adapting what I wanted to study based on what I was feeling like looking at that day. That kind of kept it fresh and fun though.

I got through everything. FA twice (second time rapidly) and Goljan twice (second time rapid paced too) and BRS Phys once. I took NBME 3 with 3.5 weeks to go and got a 254 and took the free 150 3 days before the exam and got a 98%. (God, I wish that had been the real thing.)

The real thing was a bit tougher. I never found myself throwing up my hands to the sky and saying "What the f**k?" with questions, but there were definitely some brain twisters on there. I would say I averaged being unsure about 7-10 per block. And going back with those was typically fruitless for me... I felt a little surer about some of them upon review but not always. I would say I averaged probably an 80-85% per block... don't know what that will translate to.

As with others, I felt most frustrated with the WWJD quote questions. Two answers that sound quite good, while one is somehow objectively better by a fraction of a "rightness percent" or something is kind of dumb to me. So those were basically 50/50 questions and I am not sure there is anything you can do to up those odds with studying... unless you're really focussed on it. Same with anatomy. I knew every nerve and function in the arms and legs and had skimmed some abdomen/thorax sections, but the tougher anatomy questions just come down to a mix of educated/lucky guesses unless you have your masters in anatomy I suppose.

All in all I felt disappointed in the amount of stuff covered on my exam. When you study weird side effects for 50 hours and only get questions about NSAIDS and ulcers you feel underwhelmed. That said, you just have to be prepared for everything. That is what it is all about. Learn the basics. Especially for pharmacology. I would say half of it was pharm-dynamics and graph interpretation. Something I was kind of prepared for after having read other posters' thoughts.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone who took it and those who are about to. It was a rough journey, but I think we're all at least somewhat better for it.

hey guys/gals. Took the exam recently. Thought about not posting since most of the things I thought I would have to say have already been said ad nauseum. But my experience was a little bit different, so I will go ahead and point out what made it different.

Did well in 2nd year, which as many say is the biggest key to this exam.

Had about 6.5 weeks to study. Started off and read through MMRS in 2 days and then "devoured" BRS Path in 2.5 days. Took NBME 1 with 5.5 weeks left and got a 245. then started into USMLE World.

That's where my studying probably differs from most. I spent so much time with USMLE World it was kind of sickening. Sickening in a good way... :) I did 50 questions in the "morning" ... from 9 am until 1:30 pm. Timed, Random from the get go. Read every answer, right and wrong. "Marked" all the ones I missed, all the ones I did not get right for the right reasons and those that I thought had great extra info in the explanation section. After the morning session I studied a chapter or two of FA and/or BRS phys and/or Goljan. Would get home and then do another 50 questions. This all translated into about 9-10 hours a day with USMLE World and 4-5 studying other things.

Pretty grueling, but it allowed me to get through all of World with about 2 weeks to go before the exam. By that time I had marked 1000 of the 2000 questions. On the first run through I averaged mid to upper 70's in the first blocks I did and ended averaging mid to upper 80's for a cumulative average of 82%. I started working through the 1000 I had marked and was a little faster this time but it still took a lot of time.

I wasn't too worried that I was being inefficient with my time. Even the 2nd time through I found myself stumped on some of the questions and averaged about 95% missing 2 or 3 per block. And I thought it worthwhile to repeat the questions.

After having taken the exam I can say there was not really any "direct" overlap on my exam with World. World teaches you more about struggling through the difficult questions and making best guesses. I was never a fast test taker, but using World so much I felt confident going into the exam because I was very well acquianted with the "pacing" of a block. I finished all of my sections on the actual exam with about 10 minutes remaining and used that time to go back and look at the ones that needed a little more thinking or confirmation.

I don't know if I would recommend my study program for others. I had no official plan from beginning to end. I kept adapting what I wanted to study based on what I was feeling like looking at that day. That kind of kept it fresh and fun though.

I got through everything. FA twice (second time rapidly) and Goljan twice (second time rapid paced too) and BRS Phys once. I took NBME 3 with 3.5 weeks to go and got a 254 and took the free 150 3 days before the exam and got a 98%. (God, I wish that had been the real thing.)

The real thing was a bit tougher. I never found myself throwing up my hands to the sky and saying "What the f**k?" with questions, but there were definitely some brain twisters on there. I would say I averaged being unsure about 7-10 per block. And going back with those was typically fruitless for me... I felt a little surer about some of them upon review but not always. I would say I averaged probably an 80-85% per block... don't know what that will translate to.

As with others, I felt most frustrated with the WWJD quote questions. Two answers that sound quite good, while one is somehow objectively better by a fraction of a "rightness percent" or something is kind of dumb to me. So those were basically 50/50 questions and I am not sure there is anything you can do to up those odds with studying... unless you're really focussed on it. Same with anatomy. I knew every nerve and function in the arms and legs and had skimmed some abdomen/thorax sections, but the tougher anatomy questions just come down to a mix of educated/lucky guesses unless you have your masters in anatomy I suppose.

All in all I felt disappointed in the amount of stuff covered on my exam. When you study weird side effects for 50 hours and only get questions about NSAIDS and ulcers you feel underwhelmed. That said, you just have to be prepared for everything. That is what it is all about. Learn the basics. Especially for pharmacology. I would say half of it was pharm-dynamics and graph interpretation. Something I was kind of prepared for after having read other posters' thoughts.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone who took it and those who are about to. It was a rough journey, but I think we're all at least somewhat better for it.

So you studied ~16 hours a day for 6.5 weeks??

Wow that is really (almost sickeningly) intense...I'm sure you got a stellar score though.

Anybody think they will release any more scores before July 16th? I took Step 1 on June 2nd. I'm hoping I will definitely get my score back by then. That will be a little over six weeks.

I think they are holding all the new scores until the 16th so that they can compare the percentage correct and do their little statistical analyses to make sure this USMLE doesnt differ from the old one.

So sorry to say you probably have to wait.

Ingersoll, it's a great relief to see that you spent about 3-4 hours reviewing UW explanations, because that's about how long I spend as well. I've tried accelerating my review time, but then I feel that I am not taking full advantage of the awesome UW explanations.

Ingersoll, it's a great relief to see that you spent about 3-4 hours reviewing UW explanations, because that's about how long I spend as well. I've tried accelerating my review time, but then I feel that I am not taking full advantage of the awesome UW explanations.

The UW explanations are gold. I really think the time spent on reading them is worth it because you learn so much from each question.

After I took step I, I felt scared crapless so bear in mind my post is about 2.5 wks after my test....

What I did to prep: -Kaplan QBank (my school buys it for all the second years); done 82% of it with 76% correct (majority of it was untimed though)

-First Aid (3 times through it)
-The Doctors In Training/What You Need to Know class live (if you are taking it do it live if possible because online is boring as hell)

-Read the entire books below one month before step to prepare for 2nd year finals:
BRS Behavioral Science
BRS Path
BRS Phys
BRS Pharm
Also read the charts at the end of every section of Bates
Goljan audio 2X
Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple in January

The immunology section of the BRS Micro/Immuno in January

Skimmed sections of HY Anatomy and HY Neuroanatomy

Practice Tests (things to keep in mind- I let myself look up one no-****-I-should-have-known-that-question per section in the NBME exams):
-. .5/22: the 150 question one at the Prometric center: 86% correct
-. .5/25: NBME 2 580/236
-. .5/29: NBME 3 640/247
-. .6/1: NBME 4 630/245
-. .6/6: Kaplan Full Length Institutional Administered Practice Exam 79% correct
-. .6/12: NBME 6 660/250
-. .6/14: USMLE Step 1

Test day!
Could NOT sleep very well- tried to go to bed at 9PM and woke up at 3AM and couldn't fall back asleep. Got up at 6:30AM and drove to test center; got there at 7:10AM and looked over the pharm section of FA while freaking out (do not recommend). Went in and was seated taking test by 7:45AM.

The test is vague memory of hell at this point but the take-home points for me were:

Pharm
: everything you need to know is in First Aid for the most part (one or two questions might not be). Know the basic Pharm section and Micro pharm section cold and you'll be a rock star.

Heme/Onc:
I had 2-3 questions per block on this (contrary to what I was told in the Doctors in Training course; we heard that this would be low yield); most of it is in FA or name-checked in FA.

Micro:
Very high yield on my test. Although Kaplan's questions were too nit-picky based on some of my classmates' experiences, they were accurate in difficulty level for me (most of them you know or can make a reasonable guess;some you are like WTF?).

New multimedia question:
I had one of these, and it was pretty cool. However, I had it in block 7 when I was kinda burnt out so I probably missed it--> hear a heart sound, diagnose it, and decide the likely etiology. To ace the multimedia question(s), know your phys dx. The University of Washington has an excellent phys dx site with sounds, EBM correlations, etc. which is worth checking out while studying.
http://depts.washington.edu/physdx/index.html

Behavioral/Psych: easy questions (ID this personality disorder) or scenario questions (hate them!). Other people in this forum have posted the rules for answering these types of questions and they seem to hold true.

Neuro: Most of my neuro questions were asked in a neuroanatomy format such as "which structure in the picture isn't working" or "where do these fibers go"

Anatomy: It's all in FA. Brachial plexus and actions of arm and leg muscles were high yield. I had some pelvic anatomy questions not covered in FA. High Yield Anatomy + Netter seemed to be a good study strategy for this subject according to others/personal experience.

Breaks: I read quickly so I took a break after sections 2,4,5,and 6. Because I am anal-retentive or otherwise messed up in the head I ran out to my car to check FA for questions that had stumped me (do not recommend doing but I am compulsive that way).

Overall impressions: Know your phys, path, and pharm- they are the basis of the majority of your questions. Don't neglect a topic because you have heard it is low yield; make sure you feel reasonably comfortable with all topicx just in case your exam is heavy on one of them.

Sadly, this is all I can remember at this point. My best tip is to study all the sections of FA because you may be one of the 10% that get a crapload of heme and micro questions. Best of luck to everybody :)

Yeah, my study plan definitely revolved around reading USMLE World explanations because I found them so incredibly helpful. I found, as many have pointed out, linked questions coming up together in blocks reinforced one another; often times you read the same explanation for a principle/disease/mechanism multiple times in one block.

A word of caution though: I often marked questions in which only one particular part of one explanation was what I wanted to reinforce the second time I did the question -- to do that, I highlighted the part I wanted to reread. It was unfortunately a huge waste of time both because of the highlighting on the front end and more importantly after redoing the question, because the previous highlighting was erased and I had to reread most questions fully to find the "gems" I wanted to reinforce.

Of course you can review old tests etc. and the highlighting is still there, but it's not the same as doing random, timed, marked blocks for practice...

/end rant.

Anyway, keep at it. UW only frustrates a few times out of the 2000 questions or so.

(This post was originally in response to a student just starting medical school, but I think its helpful for those studying for step1 just as much)

I think its best to get advice straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.nbme.org/PDF/ItemWriting_...03IWGwhole.pdf

The particularly highyield part is Section II:Writing One-Best-Answer Questions for the Basic and Clinical Sciences.

It is from 2003, so the out-of-date section for Step 1 is the section III about 'extended matching', which is no longer used on step 1 exams.

In terms of how to use this information, I found it helpful to study by doing practice questions. As well, it wouldn't hurt yourself to write your own questions on material you find difficult. In this way, you would begin to appreciate and understand the test-maker's framework for how they construct questions from the material you are studying. (ie Never memorize an isolated page from First Aid or Robbins pathology). You must be integrating everything you read and annotating the margins of review books with what you read in class (which is what Goljan is famous for with his pathology textbook, Rapid Review of Pathology). The best studiers, and test-takers are able to 'synthesize and apply' if you will (I'm quoting from this NBME manual).

In other study strategies, I found at bootleg version of FirstAid 2007 in PDF format on the web. It was very helpful to use adobe's search feature to look up terms. For example, a search for the term 'edema' appears over 46 times and if you use the advanced search feature, you can scan thru the results to see edema assoc. with Kwashiokor disease and capillary fluid exchange in cardio physiology section. That's what the boards are made of!

*Spoiler* The guide contains actual NBME practice test questions. You know, like the ones you pay $45 for ;)

Ps. I just took Step1 this week and can't seem to get my mind off it, so I thought I'd post some of my thoughts here. I've read through much of SDN, and like others, have been very appreciative of their advice and hints at questions they got on their exams. Step 1 does like to repeat questions, but BE CAREFUL, the questions I had on my exam were the exact same pictures as others, except with a different stem. For example, I heard from others at my school about their heart sound on the exam, but everyone seemed to have a different stem and/or sound. Its just like Goljan says with the insulinoma vs. factious insulin injector story and using protein c to differentiate the two. The NBME testing org. is smart about altering questions by a few key findings each year to prevent students from having the exact same exams, which is probably a good thing. Hope this helps. I'll post my scores here once I get them back in a few weeks.

Examples of types of questions I saw on my exam, but not the real questions:
-Differential between when a disease becomes pathological (Osteogenesis Imperfecta) vs. a behavior science answer (like child abuse)
-Integration of CT/MRI with physiology was a favorite type of synthesis question that I saw (Always study physio and anatomy together). For example, arterial contraction of a blood vessel (physio) due to (drug x) at a certain anatomical location and the associated deficit.
-Drug (x) side effect + path slide + physio response of organ
-For more sample questions, I again refer you to question stems provided for test writers (public document) that can be found in the above manual

Last edited:
Hello friends,

I first off want to thank all that have posted before. You kept me sane during my board studying. This is my first post ever on this website.

I would consider myself a slightly above average student. I certainly was not in the top of my class. However, during second year I discovered a studying technique that allowed me to start honoring or almost honoring on most of our tests. During first year, I almost killed myself trying to memorize and understand everything from a lecture on the first pass, and then I usually had like one day to review right before the exam. I realized during second year that if I go hard and fast, and review a lecture multiple times on multiple days, but without necessarily trying to memorize everything, that my retention was actually significantly higher. So I based my board schedule off of this realization, i.e. multiple passes, moving fast, and hitting a subject from all angles.

I had 6 weeks. to study. My school forces us to take the CBSE (I think?) before we begin studying so that they know who is at risk for failing the exam. After this preliminary exam, I spent the first week going through my micro cards, my pharm cards, and the first half of first aid. I realized very quickly that I didn't know jack about micro, (as in, I couldn't have told you that staph and strep were gram positive), and my MicroCards were a godsend. After these two days, I never had an official micro or pharm study period. Instead, I began using these cards every single day. By the time I took Step 1, I had made it through my micro cards and my pharm cards 4 times.

I then started to read the organ system of FA. My original plan was to read FA along with Goljan Path and BRS Phys, but I found FA so frustrating that I almost threw it out the window. I hated, and still hate, FA. But I do agree that it is a necessary evil. I'll get to that in a minute.

So I spent the second week going through Goljan Path and BRS Phys. I then quickly skimmed HY Neuroanatomy (like in 7 hours). Once I finished this, I took NBME 3.

I then started on phase 2 of my studying. I did nothing but questions for about 10 days. I used USMLEWorld, and for the most part loved this resource (the software shut down on my twice during the middle of a test, thus losing my information and counting the rest 0. This was frustrating, but the material in the questions was great). I took notes on all of the material within the questions with which I was not familiar. Ultimately, I ended up finishing about 75% of UWorld.

At this point, I was about 2 weeks out from test date. I spent the next 4 days going over FA cover to cover. This time I didn't hate it so much. It began to make sense. I think their mneumonics suck, but oh well. Once I finished FA, I took NBME 4. This was about 10 days out.

The last ten days, I went through a little more Neuro, all of Goljan Path, and then one last pass through FA over the span of the last 4 days.

Test day: Blew me away. I thought it was harder than any NBME. Of the ones that I missed, I would say 20% were stupid mistakes, another 10% were things I might have gotten right if I had studied for another 2 weeks, and the rest I wouldn't have gotten right if I had studied for another 2 years.

So here are the results:

CBSE (6 weeks out): 190
NBME 3 (4 weeks out): 216
UWorld, 75% complete: 64%
NBME 4 (10 days out): 242
Step 1: 247.

In the end, I do believe that if you work really hard you can significantly improve your score on this exam. I worked 12 - 14 hours a day, every single day, for 6 weeks. I do believe that seeing a subject several times throughout my studying experience was valuable to me.

Random stuff: I split the spine of my FA and then 3-hole punched it and put it in a binder. I was then able to take notes in on blank paper and add them in to FA, which I thought was very helpful. One of the best things that I did during the 2nd year was using BRS Phys and Goljan Path along with class work.

Resources: Goljan Path (abandoned the audio after the 1st week b/c it was too time consuming), BRS Phys, FA, MicroCards, PharmCards, and HY Neuroanatomy.

I hope this helps someone. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them on here. If I remember anything I forgot, I will post it. Best of luck to everyone.

I am thinking about getting MicroCards too, but there are so many of them out there. Which one did you get?

I am skewed towards liking the rapid action of BRS flashcards as opposed to liking the overly detailed PathCards type, so I really found the BRS Micro flashcards very helpful. Really helped put important facts to a name, but definately superficial and buzzword oriented (still helped though, as it was about 50-75% of my micro studying for step 1 and Micro/immuno (and general priniciples of health & disease) was my best graphed subject/topic

i've used Lippincott's Microcards, by Harpavat & Nissim. i used them both for class (which i honored in) and for boards (will be taken in a few short weeks!). On one side they have a drawing of the organism w/relevant structural features & a clinical vignette, and on the other side there's info on clinical presentation, pathobiology, how you'd make the diagnosis, treatment, and "quick facts". Some of the cards also have a "study tip" which are basically high yield facts integrating info across various organmisms.

They contain a good amount of info, which i like because i usually like to study from materials that have a complete, compact set of information, all in one place (which means i like very small font :)). i found this to be especially true for micro because there's so many details that can be tested regarding each organism, and it can get frustrating trying to look up bits of info from various sources.

Well, here's my experience. I have no idea how this correlates with what others may have perceived, but it is how the exam looked to me.

FA is almost enough if you are really good at making the diagnosis. And FA does not cover that at all. Where FA may be lacking (depending on your question mix) includes pharm (half of my pharm questions could not be answered from FA), anatomy (didn't have many, but the majority of the ones I did have were beyond FA), embryology (had only one question, definitely not in FA or anything else I've ever seen so who cares, right?), and path.

Path is the big one. In a way, FA has most everything... except that FA isn't a good place to actually learn path. RR Path is better. Goljan audio is better. What was really tough on my exam was the mix of pathology and clinical diagnosis... getting to the right disease process or condition based on the patient presentation, which was often vague and somewhat ambiguous and required a lot of "well, what is really more likely?..." type of reasoning. I'd say 50 questions left me thinking it could be any one of three possible things going on... it was that non-specific as far as symptoms, signs, etc. So figuring out the pathology was tough, and FA really didn't help there at all. Once you figure out the path, then getting the second or third step to answer the question (drug, bug, enzyme, structure, mechanism, related condition, etc.) was pretty easy.

I think I've said it elsewhere, but I haven't run across a review book that would have made that any easier. UWorld didn't. RR Path didn't. Goljan audio helped some - probably had more questions that were almost verbatim from that one source than from any other single source, including UWorld. FA for the Wards might have helped, or Harrison's if you're crazy.

Sources I used, in roughly the order from most to least useful:

Goljan audio
UWorld (100%)
FA
RR Path
Lippincott Biochem
CMMRS
HY Cell & Molecular (new edition)
BRS Phys
USMLE Roadmap Pharm
Class neuro notes
Rapid EKG Interpretation
RR Biochem
Kaplan Qbank (50%)
Clinical neuroanatomy MRS
Netter
USMLE Recall
HY Brain & Behavior

osli, thanks for the post, so wut do u recommend for the pharm portion, im relying on FA for pharm. but i have 3 weeks left so if i have to, i'll open another book for it.

What has been recommended to us at my school is to use FA for your drug list then fill in the mechanisms, SEs and mechanism of SEs with an outside source like lipincotts, Kaplan, etc.

osli, thanks for the post, so wut do u recommend for the pharm portion, im relying on FA for pharm. but i have 3 weeks left so if i have to, i'll open another book for it.

FA + Lange pharm (8th ed.) was enough for me. pharm was probably the easiest and most straightforward part of my exam, and these two sources prepared me very well. i didn't read all of lange obviously, but just used it to fill in the details of the drugs listed in FA.

I had at least 6 drugs on my test that are simply not in FA, and about twice that number that asked for applications, side effects, or mechanisms that were not covered well enough in FA to easily get to the right answer.

I made a set of pharm flash cards to study. I started with FA, and then fleshed out the missing mechanisms, ADR's, indications, etc. I also added cards to my set any time I ran across a new drug in UWorld or any of the review books I used. I'd say that by the time I was finished, perhaps 20% of my set was missing from FA (that equates to about 100 drugs not even mentioned in FA, let alone at least that many more with missing side effects, uses, mechanisms, etc.).

I'm sure everyone's question mix is different - you can see from this and other threads that there are plenty of people who had very easy/light pharm. Mine was easy, but only because I had studied it extensively and it was by no means what I'd call "light." I did have two or so drugs that I didn't even have in my card set (of around 600), though I don't think either was the correct answer (since the other choices I was familiar with, and pretty confident that one of them was).

I'd recommend studying with a resource that really covers autonomic pharm well. You need to understand that in depth to get some of those questions right... a lot of "experimental" drug questions where it is the mechanisms and interactions with the autonomic system and various receptors that are being tested, and not always if you know what a specific drug does. Know the cardiac drugs in the same way. For the rest, I think it is sufficient to know mechanism, general indications, and side effects... just understand that a question might be easy if only that drug were listed in FA, and study accordingly.

Honestly, it almost seems as if FA is pretty good for everyone except for a particular section. Whereas it was plenty for biochem for me (other than perhaps 1 or 2 questions), it may have been very inadequate for others. And whereas it was completely insufficient for pharm for me, it was more than enough for others. If you rely heavily on FA, then you should probably expect that out of pharm, biochem, micro, embryo, and anatomy you're going to get hit hard on at least one of those sections where FA was deficient for your questions. And also expect to get hit hard on path and phys for pretty much any mix of questions you might pull. But you have to weight your study plan with how many questions you are likely to get and how much time you have to study. Of those I mentioned above, micro and pharm are more likely be more highly represented on your exam, so perhaps it would be worth going to another source if you have time. Biochem might be a toss-up. Anatomy and embryo may or may not be covered well enough by FA, but because the number of questions is probably limited and the difficulty of really covering those subjects adequately regardless of your source, it may not be worth the effort to go crazy with trying to know everything about them.

Again, I'd recommend focusing heavily on path, phys, pathophys, and clinical diagnosis (most question stems were some mix of the above, even if the actual question eventually asked was about an enzyme or drug or bug). You need to understand exactly what is happening in the patient described to be able to answer correctly, and that just isn't something that review books seem to cover well.

ouch! i have like 20 more days but a lot to review, and pharm is certainly not my best point. ive listened to most of kaplan videos and marked my FA with that. this week my plan is to do questions for each pharm section from lange, pretest, RR, and kaplan (well not every single question) and learn that way. this will come back to bite me eventually. im getting really nervous about this test. havent improved a bit in my nbmes in the past 4 weeks (510, 520, 510 for 1, 2, 3 forms). thanks for the advise osli. good luck with ur scores

ouch! i have like 20 more days but a lot to review, and pharm is certainly not my best point. ive listened to most of kaplan videos and marked my FA with that. this week my plan is to do questions for each pharm section from lange, pretest, RR, and kaplan (well not every single question) and learn that way. this will come back to bite me eventually. im getting really nervous about this test. havent improved a bit in my nbmes in the past 4 weeks (510, 520, 510 for 1, 2, 3 forms). thanks for the advise osli. good luck with ur scores

I think you probably have improved. Form 3 seemed a bit odd to me, and it really felt like half of it wasn't even based on anything I'd been studying. I think you'll find that the real exam is more uniform in content, and I'll bet if you'd taken form 5 or 6 (instead of 3) your upward trend would have continued.

Oh, and 4 freaked me out a little bit too. My classmates swear by 5 and 6, so my second-hand recommendation is that you get those.

"FA is almost enough if you are really good at making the diagnosis. And FA does not cover that at all....

...Path is the big one. In a way, FA has most everything... except that FA isn't a good place to actually learn path. RR Path is better. Goljan audio is better. What was really tough on my exam was the mix of pathology and clinical diagnosis... getting to the right disease process or condition based on the patient presentation, which was often vague and somewhat ambiguous and required a lot of "well, what is really more likely?..." type of reasoning. I'd say 50 questions left me thinking it could be any one of three possible things going on... it was that non-specific as far as symptoms, signs, etc. So figuring out the pathology was tough, and FA really didn't help there at all. Once you figure out the path, then getting the second or third step to answer the question (drug, bug, enzyme, structure, mechanism, related condition, etc.) was pretty easy.

I think I've said it elsewhere, but I haven't run across a review book that would have made that any easier. UWorld didn't. RR Path didn't. Goljan audio helped some - probably had more questions that were almost verbatim from that one source than from any other single source, including UWorld. FA for the Wards might have helped, or Harrison's if you're crazy."

Hey Osli,

Thanks for your helpful posts and for bringing up the lack of commonly used review sources to learn diagnostic skills.

I'm wondering if anyone who has taken Step 1/NBMEs can comment on how helpful the following resources might be for mastering diagnosis for Step 1:

Robbins Review of Pathology (Question book)
Underground Clinical Vignettes
Step Up to the Bedside Cases
Pretest: Physical Diagnosis
FA Cases
USMLE World Step 2
Harrison's Review Question Book
MedStudy IM Board Review
Hopkins IM Board Review

Last edited:
I cant speak to the others but robbins review and harrisons are going to be overkill. I guess you could read these if you had the time and felt really weak with clinical diagnoses but it just doesnt seem like an efficient use of time to me.

The others I cant speak to

I'm wondering if anyone who has taken Step 1/NBMEs can comment on how helpful the following resources might be for mastering diagnosis for Step 1:

Robbins Review of Pathology (Question book)
Underground Clinical Vignettes
Step Up to the Bedside Cases
Pretest: Physical Diagnosis
FA Cases
USMLE World Step 2
Harrison's Review Question Book
MedStudy IM Board Review
Hopkins IM Board Review

I think you are getting a little carried away..for the most part, the path presented on step 1 (at least the exam i took) was the classic presentation of disease with classic lab values/CT/gram stain/whatever...Yes they were stingy with the buzzwords, and yes some of the pictures were horrendous, but they still tried to give a characteristic picture for the most of the conditions presented. Now for the rest of the questions, it was a tossup and you really needed to know how to differentiate between details (such as all the causes of hyperthyroid, hypocalcemia...) but honestly for those all you can do is prepare using Rapid Review or whatever path book you are using. I guess you could look at something like FA Cases for the standard clinical presentation but theres no point going to an Internal Med review source bc this isnt Step 2 and they dont expect you to be a 3rd yr already. And keep in mind that long question stems are long bc they are trying to give you the most complete picture possible and let you know what you can rule out. Good Luck!

i took the exam today (saturday), and just finished a few hours ago. i thought i'd post some quick impressions before i am too drunk to do so later.

prep
NBME 6, 4 weeks out = 196
NBME 2, 2 weeks out = 216
NBME 3, 1 week out = 222
Uworld assessment, 3 days out = 232
kaplan qbank = 100% complete, 52% cumulative
Uworld = 100% complete, 57% cumulative

the exam
ok, so i guess this is just a testament to how varied the exam can be, because mine was really not that difficult. slightly easier than USMLEworld, with slightly longer question stems. if people are worrying you that you'll be reading 2 pages of background for every question, ignore them. it was usually one large paragraph with some vital signs, most of which were not relevant in regards to answering the question.

i had a decent mix of all subjects. 90% of the material was doable with a thorough understanding of the material in FA, plus goljan and Uworld (the same recommendations you get from everyone.. for a reason.) the ones that weren't in first aid were totally wacky and unless you remember random facts from 1st and 2nd year, there's no point trying to study for them.

several questions were almost verbatim from Uworld, and in fact, one of the pictures from the Uworld assessment i took three days before the test was identical. (and as a side note, despite the fact that goljan must have said "this EXACT picture was on boards!" a thousand times during the audio, none of his pics showed up.) i get the feeling that some of the questions in the Uworld assessment come from input from very recent test-takers.

you can't ignore any subject, regardless what other people have reported from their exams. people have talked about how little psych they've had, whereas i had at least one personality disorder/defense mechanism question in every block. being a psych major, this was to my advantage, but it would have sucked if you weren't a psych major and skipped the psych section in first aid. then again, maybe you won't get any of them either. total luck of the draw.

some of the imaging scans look like they were taken at the dawn of time. awful quality.

other random thoughts:
-- some kid was EATING during my exam. i kid you not. loudly unwrapping pieces of candy and MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH. i wanted to turn around and punch him in the face. or ask him if he was totally f__king ******ed. i thought about going to the testing people and making a big fuss about it, but i was totally in the zone and did not want to let anything derail me.
-- i had two different questions that were presented solely with chemical structures. these will be impossibly hard for most people. i harkened back to my ochem and hopefully got them both.
-- despite indications to the contrary, i had quite a few questions that simply presented a picture and asked me to make a diagnosis, with little or no context. some of these were very difficult.
-- the audio quality on my multimedia question was bad; it was hard to hear, even with the volume turned all the way up. i think i got it right, but you definitely couldn't answer the question based on the stem alone (you needed to hear the specific heart sound.)
-- we had CRTs at our test center. the brightness and contrast stunk, and the flicker bothered me occasionally.
-- regarding pharm, the lange pharm flash cards turned out to be tremendous. they literally covered every drug i saw on the exam, every side effect i needed to know, and a few of the vignettes were even quite similar (of course, your mileage may vary.) i am extremely glad i purchased these instead of relying solely on first aid. they were a quick read and very high yield, and it was nice to lie on the sofa or out on the porch and study with just a small pack of cards in your hand.
-- a final word: i was an extremely mediocre student during the 1st two years of medical school. i got my ass in gear studying for this exam and i think it paid off. anyone is capable of doing well on this exam provided you weren't completely asleep during year 1 and 2, and provided you really get serious about studying after finals.

Im on my brothers account here yan,

took the exam today.

I really feel like today's version of the usmle step 1 7/12/08 was a complete joke compared to what other people have described in their experience.

Today's version should have been a hell of a lot harder.

70 percent of the exam was straight out of first aid.

the rest was straight from goljan and UW.

either today's version was less difficult or the combination from the very beginning of using ONLY UW, GOLJAN, AND FA is the absolute best means of prep.

fyi, 5-8 questions on my exam, were straight out of UW.

UW was much much much harder than the actual questions I encountered and THE KAPLAN QBANK was a god awful waste of time.

and the multimedia thing with the chest auscultation was really damn cool, even though I prolly got it wrong.

the great thing about the usmle is that even if you don't know the picture, they hint/give you the answer in the HPI/question stem.

im not claiming to get as good of a score as my bro and other student doctor board members... but damn... this was not the intimidating test I was scared about.

I agree with the above poster...today's version was just easier... can anyone echo this?