Official 2008 Usmle Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings my brothers and sisters ,

I am new member here and will be taking my boards in another few months .
I thought I would start a thread devoted to a compilation of 2008 usmle experiences . I don't have anything to report as yet since my test is in a few month but anyone who has taken the test in 2008 please share with us your experience and feedback so we can keep the SDN tradition alive !

Good Luck :luck:

"Never , never , never , never Give up ! "

Members don't see this ad.

^^^ Solarium, your score is awesome. Congratulations.

Your score jumped 17 points from the last NBME to the test. Do you attribute that to the last read of FA?

Great score Solarium! I have a couple of questions for ya if you dont mind. I have almost the exact same grades as you throughout undergrad and med school. Same story... graduated with a 2.8 undergrad, 25 MCAT, 3.0 caribbean med student, never failed a class, etc etc. passed my COMP with a 185. Ive always felt that my study time can be better used by reading rather than a kaplan course so I was relieved when you said that. So, in about 3 weeks, I will be done with my first run through. I was planning to do USMLERX organ wise then do world timed random. Do you think that I should stick with one qbank, which would be world of course, or do the two. I was thinking about doing Rx to really reinforce the details of first aid, then do world for concepts. what do you think? Also, my first run for books was RR path + goljan audio, CMMRS, BRS biochem, SKIMMED through BRS physio, pathophysio made simple, and first aid for the rest of the subjects. what do you think? Im contemplating whether or not to order levison immuno, HY neuro, and BRS behavior. Do you think I should read these suckers? Thanks for the reply dude. peace

^^^ Solarium, your score is awesome. Congratulations.

Your score jumped 17 points from the last NBME to the test. Do you attribute that to the last read of FA?

Thanks man :) Definately. In my 2 months of studying, I haven't done a total readthrough of FA until the last 2 weeks. I felt that everything came together the last 2 weeks and that the final 2 FA readthrough helped tremendously.

Great score Solarium! I have a couple of questions for ya if you dont mind. I have almost the exact same grades as you throughout undergrad and med school. Same story... graduated with a 2.8 undergrad, 25 MCAT, 3.0 caribbean med student, never failed a class, etc etc. passed my COMP with a 185. Ive always felt that my study time can be better used by reading rather than a kaplan course so I was relieved when you said that. So, in about 3 weeks, I will be done with my first run through. I was planning to do USMLERX organ wise then do world timed random. Do you think that I should stick with one qbank, which would be world of course, or do the two. I was thinking about doing Rx to really reinforce the details of first aid, then do world for concepts. what do you think? Also, my first run for books was RR path + goljan audio, CMMRS, BRS biochem, SKIMMED through BRS physio, pathophysio made simple, and first aid for the rest of the subjects. what do you think? Im contemplating whether or not to order levison immuno, HY neuro, and BRS behavior. Do you think I should read these suckers? Thanks for the reply dude. peace

If you have the time, read every single book recommended by Tau's. They are money, especially short ones like HY stats. Spend a day reading through levinson immuno and a day through HY molecular bio and it should be more than enough to help you fight through those questions. I thought making FA annotations really helped me to remember what I've read from other sources/UW, so that may be a good idea as well. I would devote my time alloted for each subject based on how high yield that subject is (ex: path = 30%, while immuno = 5%), so spend a majority of time doing RR path and try to read it at least 3 times if you can, all the while doing questions at the same time each day. Good luck my man, I'm sure you'll rock the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
To share my experiences and give back.
Thanks to Pinkertinkle, and bones4u, detailed posts, as well as many others helped me get an idea.

Took the exam in 2008; been busy with clerkships.

Goljan's way of thinking definitely helped me in clerkships, I have been asked many of the questions on info I learned in Goljan and USMLEWorld (and they appeared on shelf exams). These 2 resources will definitely help you on BOARDS, b/c it is this skill of correlating clinical presentations back to basic science mechanisms that they want you to develop.

Like any medical school exam, the key is to study smart, and understand how they want you to think. That way, you can organize the info in your head in anticipation of the questions. (i.e. you all know this is NOT a "memorize the answers" regurg exam) Questions are integrated. Patients come in with e.g. heart problem, psych problem, and fall, which is similar to real patients in the hospital with multiple problems. They want you to know mechanisms.

You need to have an idea in your mind of the constellation of symptoms that
suggest a particular disease/condition.

For e.g.red as a beet, dry as a bone, blind as a bat, mad as a hatter, and hot as a hare. ---> think "anticholinergic". This could be anticholinergic drug, antihistamine, OR an antipsychotic (if patient comes in with psych disorder).

For e.g. pericarditis, fingers and toes that turn white or blue when exposed to cold or during stressful periods (Raynaud's phenomenon) -- think Lupus, or autoimmune antibody.
Also, understand they they might not give you obvious buzzwords like "malar rash", so if you see 3-4 signs of autoimmune disease, you need to be aware that it could be Lupus.

When you read the Board questions, you will realize that the patients have all kinds of problems, but some are distractors. You need to have an idea of what diseases/conditions/person with drug overdose looks like
in your mind to quickly weed out which problems are relevant, and then you will realize that you can simplify the question. There are so many lab values, you don't have time to look them all up, but if you know what, for e.g iron-deficiency anemia vs. macrocytic anemia (look at RBC volume) indicators are, you don't have to look up all the lab values.

Suggestions:
1. Recommend go through Goljan (lec + book) as you go through 2nd year Path. Imagine how this patient would look like and their lab values if you saw them. Then, correlate this back to the mechanism.e.g. person comes in complaining of fatigue, pallor, how microcyctic anemia on labs....think iron deficiency anemia, then you would think what could cause this...are they old? (more likely to be a GI bleed, vs. young).
Also, as you imagine the person, and tie back to the etiology of disease, look also at the Path slides on WebPath. There were quite a few pics on my exam, and I didn't know how to answer some b/c the pic held the key info.

2. First Aid: it was difficult to memorize, as it's just a skeleton. Found it good to read a textbook/other review book, then First Aid right away afterwards.
Do know first aid well.

3. Study hard in 1st and 2nd year. Especially learn your cardio physiology well. It holds the basis for pharm (autonomic drugs, cardio drugs, and so many mechanisms of cardio, pulmonary disease).
Also, there were details I never saw in review books, that were only because my professor mentioned some random thing in class. If you study hard, you can at least rule out some answers.

4. Do USMLEWorld timed. I suggest mixing up the sections, b/c that's how it's done on Boards. If you just do Micro section, you lose the opportunity to really test yourself that you drew out the relevant info (is this a micro or a path question?). It is hard at first, if you don't understand something, you may need to refer to a text. Don't become discouraged. I think doing it on random mode is good b/c you get to reinforce the same concept again which they use multiple questions for in subsequent sessions.
I would recommend doing USMLEWorld 2x if you have time. The people I know who did better did USMLEWorld (Kaplan database users didn't do as well).

Also USMLEWorld is really helpful for making best guesses at questions you don't really know. This is really important as there will be some really random stuff on boards, and you just have to get used to it, don't panic.
On USMLEWorld questions, I often marked 15-20 questions I did not know at first pass, and came back to them. AFter doing these questions, on the real Boards, I marked fewer.

However, there are some really hard Blocks on Boards, some experimental questions, similar to questions in Kaplan lecture notes.

Kaplan lec notes good but can be too detailed.
If you are weak in a particular area, they can be good reference.
Biostats -- very good, lectures worthwhile. Psych -- good, but too much detail.
Biochem -- some info lacking for questions in NBME; I had to look at my school lecture notes.
Micro -- I think too detailed. Other thinner books (like Micro Made Ridiculously simple) have the key details -- mechanisms, virulence factors etc. Like bones4u said, bacteria are the biggest section. Know it well.
Physio-- Boards questions lots of arrows. Kaplan notes good, but if you had good physio in school, may not be necessary. Physio questions tie together path -- really read and understand the cardio phys questions in USMLEWOrld, and grasp the way of thinking
Anatomy -- random. Many questions I did not see from info in review books. I think this comes from minutiae in your classwork.
Pharm -- mechanisms, and also experiments. Kaplan good, can be too detailed.

That's all I can recall. The test was a beast. Just don't panic when there are things you have never seen. USMLEWorld helps you practice this skill.

Achieved goal of >240

General Starting Thoughts

First: I thought about the score I wanted. Then I looked through this thread and others on SDN, looking for trends in schedules, study materials, and scores. I suggest everyone take some time, around fall of MS2, and just go through all of these experiences. Look to see what rings true for you. A lot of this exam is knowing yourself - your study style and the amount of effort you know you can put in. I knew I could focus for 12+ hours a day, if it was for a short time, so I planned accordingly.

Second: Use this gestalt of what worked for everyone else and add it to what you think you can accomplish, the effort you think you can put in. If you think you can do it in 6 weeks, then see how other people did in 6 weeks. Build a schedule to fit you. Have some rest/catch-up time built in. I've attached a draft of mine (below).

Third: Make a list of the different materials people recommend, and go to a bookstore to read some of them. Don't buy the materials I (or anyone else) used until you take a look for yourself. If flashcards work for you, great. Maybe a dense text helps you, or maybe a lot flow charts is your thing. Whatever your tactic is, figure out which of these materials fit your learning style.

Fourth: I was an average or below average student all the way throughout MS1 and MS2. I didn't attend lecture for most of MS2. Heck, I'm a three-time re-applicant. Forget any inferiority you may feel about yourself, because those thoughts don't help you study. Anyone can do well on this exam if they plan things right and work hard.

Schedule

For various reasons, I wanted to take 5.5 weeks to study. I used Taus's method of starting with lots of reading for understanding, tapering to reading for review at the end. This was balanced by increasing amounts of question sets. This helped in that I had could first learn all of the material with a transition to testing my knowledge. A real benefit of this structure is that by the end, I was taking nearly a mini-USMLE every day. Keeping up concentration for the real 8-hour test didn't phase me because I had maintained it a bunch of times before.

I never tried to schedule time for specific topics. My materials and questions really weren't arranged that way, so I just plowed through my materials repeatedly, as fast as I could go without losing understanding. If fit in flash cards at odd times when I was doing something brainless - like doing dishes, housework.

Lastly - I didn't delay my test, but some folks I know did. If you think you need it, do it, but don't use it a as a crutch 'cause you're scared. And don't be afraid to change your study schedule if you're not getting the results you think you need (more below).

Study areas

I know I need to be free from distractions. So I staked out a spot in my school's basement where I had internet access for my Qbanks. Every day I'd come up and have lunch in the student lounge before hitting the books again. Often I'd run into other students, and sometimes they'd be upset about some pretest result. Don't let another student's freak-out get you anxious. Have your own study plan, trust it, and be cool.

Materials

Goljan: I was fortunate to have received a bootleg copy of both his lectures and his notes. The lectures, while dense, are incredibly well presented and tie pathophys to clinical presentation, which I believe is key to this exam. I walked to class, so I listened to these daily from halfway through MS2 to test day. NOTE: They did not help for class.

I printed off his notes and combined them with an unbound copy of First Aid. I don't remember the year, it was not the newest (which is another thing - medical science doesn't change so fast that you have to get the latest version of things. Go used, go cheap). This allowed me to write notes in margins, mostly of connections I made, but also some facts I learned from USMLEWorld. I paired Goljan's sections with the corresponding section of First Aid (i.e., Cardio with Cardio). This helped me rapidly read and review much of the same material, but with two different presentations.

First Aid: As above, I ripped off the covers and put it in a 3-ring binder. You don't need the latest version. Good info, but no something to learn off of. The connections I need to understand the material mainly came from Goljan.

Pharm Cards, Micro Cards: I don't like pharm or micro, and I thought both fields were filled with mindless minutiae that had no internal consistency. So I used Pharmacology cards and Microcards because the only way I'd "get" these is by repetition. These cards (esp. Micro) were good prep because I started with a partner giving me with the clinical scenario, and I'd have to name the bug. As I got better, they'd read a random section, and request another (i.e., gave S/S and asked for how to characterize the bug).

The lesson here is to know what your strengths and what your weaknesses are. Mine were micro and pharm, so I made adjustments to account for them.

Random others: I used Costanzo's Phys for the occasional concept or two. Not much else.

Question Banks

I used both USMLEWorld and Kaplan. Kaplan was paradoxically the easier and the more nit-picky of the two. As I was doing my prep, I became frustrated with Kaplan, dropped it, and focused on USMLEWorld.

Question structure: the USMLE has progressively gone from simple recall to 3rd order questions. That is, instead of asking what structure is damaged in Parkinson's (1st order), they started putting Weigert's on the exam and asking you to point to where the lesion is (2nd order). Then they added another level of required knowledge, and didn't say Parkinson's, they described the clinical features of someone. Or gave a drug regimen (3rd order).

Most of the questions in USMLEWorld are 2nd order. The remainder are 3rd. In my opinion, there is no better tool for training your mind to deal with 3rd order questions than USMLEWorld. USMLEWorld's questions are harder than the real thing, but it will train you to deal with hard questions so you aren't flustered on the real thing.

How to use question banks: I did random blocks of 46 untimed. I did untimed because the few blocks I did timed, I was well under the 50min time limit. I didn't do tutor mode because I found that it dragged me down. It took me usually ~40min to do a block and ~1.5 to review it.

Many people swear by doing cardio studying and then cardio questions. I believe that half of the challenge of a question is knowing what system is being effected. The real thing does not tell you this is a "Immuno" question or a "Path" question. However, most questions on the real thing start off with a patient complaint +/- symptoms. USMLEWorld questions all start this way. This helps train your brain to link a clinical description to pathology to a diagnosis, treatment, or work-up. As I said above, Goljan explains all of the material in this fashion.

% of questions correct: I started in the 40's and ended in the high 60's. Some 80s, some 50s, overall 67%. Don't get scared of low starting percentages because again, USMLEWorld is training you to work with a new format of question, as well as how well you know the material.

Pre-Tests

I used USMLEWorld's half-length pre-test about two weeks before the exam (I believe it's on the schedule). I didn't get one of the NBME ones because I didn't want to spend a half a day taking an exam without getting the answers to the questions I missed. Then again, it's not written by the NBME, so you there's some trust involved.

My estimated score based on the USMLEWorld half-test was 230. That gave me confidence that I was on the right track. Note that USMLEWorld gives you results broken down by subject. That way I knew what subjects I was weakest in after ~2 weeks of study, and so I changed my study focus accordingly.

Day before test day

Mostly light studying. I drove to the center and made sure I knew where it was. I tried to sleep as best I could the night before.

Test Day

I packed a lot of snacks so I could eat between blocks. I believe I went 3 or so blocks, then ate a small lunch (now is not the time for a post-prandial alkaline tide coma). I did most blocks in under time, and used most of the remainder to go over the few questions I wasn't sure of. About 70% it was read it, make best guess, and "click" on to the next. No agonizing.

I left around 3pm and felt like I was in a fog. The next couple of days I felt like crap because I didn't know how well I did. I didn't feel like I knocked it out of the park, and I didn't feel like I completely failed it.

Summary:

Do what you think is best. You're the expert in your learning style. These are my thoughts, and if they help you, good, but they may not fit you. Study in a place that helps you focus. Minimize interactions where you get distracted by others, or where another students' anxiety make you doubt yourself. Have a plan, have confidence in your plan, but feel free to adapt that plan if you discover you have some weaknesses. USMLEWorld is hard, but it is a great tool, and cheap. Goljan has the best summary of the medical sciences out there. First Aid is a good supplement.

Weeks studying: 5.5
Money spent: $90 UW + $40 FA = Cheap
USMLEWorld overall average: 67%
USMLEWorld pre-test score: 230
USMLE score: 248

Attachments

• Draft RxnMan USMLE Schedule.xls
    18 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
I'm with Solarium on the High Yield Cell and Molecular Biology-- I just got through 1999 first ed. and it's really good. Quick and high-yield.