Official 2008-2009 URM Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yo cuya that is bizarre! Ur F'ing brilliant though. Man just look at where u interviewed. U got schools on ur "jockstrap" lol. do not sweat what idiots say. My best friend is haitian and pre med, and his application is about 10x better than mine. We both have experienced that, but since I am half puertorican and european, I can be a "****" or a "blancito" (white boy) on any given day depending on how i do my hair, or shave lol.

Him on the other hand experienced that kinda crap all the time, especially from teachers , so I witnessed it first hand and I know what your going through. He would literally rape exams, and run the science classes, and professors would be astonished because me and him sat in the back of the class, or never showed up, and he was "that black kid with the doorag on" lol.

Point being: DO YOU. LOL I love reading this thread, because after its all said and done, the sucess is bittersweet.

Members don't see this ad.

Word! Check my MDApps and you will see. Some ugliness out there. I wish only the best for those who seek their dreams.

Ur stats are amazing....black, white, asian, whatever, those stats are above average..... period!!!

Interview invitations from ECU, VCU, U of R, Morehouse, Howard, Meharry, and Indiana. My goal was to get at least five interviews and one acceptance. I only need one seat...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ur stats are amazing....black, white, asian, whatever, those stats are above average..... period!!!

i think what enfuriates ppl is not that she is getting invites with those stats, but that she is assumed automatic acceptance/full ride scholarships thrown in her face because she is URM, while there are whites/asian with such stats that will get rejected everywhere.

though i happen to believe that such an assumption is true (seriously, there are not many URMs with equivalent stats), i sincerely believe their anger is unfounded and dispicable.

i know that through out this process, i have almost felt that my current success has been diminished in the eyes of my peers and even close friends because they already believe me to get into every school i apply to. i dont know if this may or may not be the case (my prehealth advisor happens to believe that this will be the case too), but i do know that if I am rejected from any schools, my friends will think I am a complete social reject, because in their eyes, any URM with a 3.8+ 30+ will be wined and dined on by an admissions council.

i know that i am just trying to sta humble, laugh to myself about the hoopla, and anonymously celebrate my success on SDN :laugh:

though i happen to believe that such an assumption is true (seriously, there are not many URMs with equivalent stats), i sincerely believe their anger is unfounded and dispicable.

I agree with the above and will add: there are not many "people" with those stats period regardless of color. Here is a person who worked day in and day out to achieve something and did achieve. I always remember the son of a friend and his experience with application. This young man earned a 3.9 uGPA (Ivy) with a double major in econ and bio. He also had a 42 MCAT and didn't get in. The reason was that he was an obnoxious idiot. It took some years in the Peace Corps and some maturity before he was accepted.

Not all people who have great stats are automatic acceptances for medical school regardless of color and not all people with less impressive stats are automatically rejects. It's the whole package and if that young lady has put together a competitive application through years of hard work, then she deserves anything and everything that comes her way as does anyone who has achieved. She also (like anyone else) does not deserve to be called derogatory names because of the color of her skin.

i agree...ppl are hiding behind anonymity...i hope no1 would say this 2 her face...

oh yeah, and a penn invite 2day:luck: and i almost lost hope

hey, just stumbled upon this thread
you guys are doing great. keep it up and good luck

Edit: removed nigerian Q bcuz of only 1 response hah

Last edited:
hey, just stumbled upon this thread
you guys are doing great. keep it up and good luck

& lol i have a random question.. im just gonna throw it out there.. how many of you guys are Nigerian?? (i am)

i only ask because i find there are so many Nigerian premeds at my school (smallish, private/national research university) and i met many at smdep so i wonder if we make up a significant portion of the (black/african american) urm pool.

I'm not a Nigerian, but I've noticed that a ton of applicants and matriculants are.

2nd invite SUNY Downstate...im getting excited!!!

I know all of y'all are applying to med school but I'm a predent and a URM and we're kinda the minority on this board so i'll post my invites in here too :)

Case Western, University of the Pacific, University of Pittsburgh, University of Buffalo, Temple University, University of Louisville, NYU, University of Detroit Mercy :D

I've gone to all of them except Detroit Mercy and NYU (I cancelled NYU and UDM is next week)

Good luck to everyone!

I know all of y'all are applying to med school but I'm a predent and a URM and we're kinda the minority on this board so i'll post my invites in here too :)

Case Western, University of the Pacific, University of Pittsburgh, University of Buffalo, Temple University, University of Louisville, NYU, University of Detroit Mercy :D

I've gone to all of them except Detroit Mercy and NYU (I cancelled NYU and UDM is next week)

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! go predent go predent go

adding: COLUMBIA!!!! :D

and, wait,

UCSF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

omg, omg, omg TOP CHOICE!

In order of interview date:

Columbia, Yale, Cornell, Jefferson, University of Florida, Vanderbilt, Washington University in St. Louis, Albert Einstein, Boston University, Northwestern

Keep it up guys!

wow some of u are straight up murderin this process. Beasts!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up everyone and I wish you all the best

woo hoo =) ur slaying the competition

thanx bud! u keep doin ur thing. im prayin 4 all of us!

In order of interview date:

Columbia, Yale, Cornell, Jefferson, University of Florida, Vanderbilt, Washington University in St. Louis, Albert Einstein, Boston University, Northwestern

Keep it up guys!

good ish....maybe ill run into at one of these

wow some of u are straight up murderin this process. Beasts!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up everyone and I wish you all the best

yeeerp...but i still feel kinda lonely in this process...i feel like last yrs URM community was much more connected...we need to fix this! lol...and just something else, i had THE WORST DREAM and its making me paranoid....i dreamt that despite all these invites ive gotten, that i get rejected from all my favorties...and this is something that is bothering me...i know they say that once you got the interview, you are chances of admission improe dramatically....but i am still in disbelief at how lucky i have been thus far and im waiting for it to run out! lol..is any1 else feelin this way?

yeeerp...but i still feel kinda lonely in this process...i feel like last yrs URM community was much more connected...we need to fix this! lol...and just something else, i had THE WORST DREAM and its making me paranoid....i dreamt that despite all these invites ive gotten, that i get rejected from all my favorties...and this is something that is bothering me...i know they say that once you got the interview, you are chances of admission improe dramatically....but i am still in disbelief at how lucky i have been thus far and im waiting for it to run out! lol..is any1 else feelin this way?

Last years group was alot closer. It seems like there as more of them too. They were always here on this board and talking about their interviews and their experiences. Everybody this year seems to be so worried about their identities and staying anonymous. Not that it is a bad thing. Maybe things around here will get better as time goes on. At least I hope we all get closer. We can't have each other feeling alone in this process. I got jumped on for saying something about this topic just a little while ago. We shall see. Keep fighting the good fight yall. God bless!

Just got UMDNJ-NJMS

2rn8yz8.gif

xnxp8n.jpg

iepd11.gif

MIAMI!

"party in tha city where the heat is on, all night on the beach till the break of dawn//
welcome to miami bien venido a miami!"

cant wait for this interview! 21 baby :)

wayne state, SUNY upstate, meharry, jefferson, George Washington University, Case Western

thanks guys. i appreciate the support and encouragement.

adding: Mount Sinai and University of Michigan !!!!

Do we even have a list going? :laugh:

Well I would like to add my name to the real HU, Howard University! :D

glad to have you join the list Blackdr. you've been an enthusiastic and emphatic supporter of this subsection of the forum. three cheers all around!!!

Wow! All yall are doing amazing! Big ups to everybody (especially my fellow Boricuas DRLyss and SFlo) yall give me hope for when I apply! For real, this is why I came to this site =)

Inspirational!

Last edited:
MCG too!!!:xf:
Morehouse is my first choice, however MCG is my husband's first choice.

Wow! All yall are doing amazing! Big ups to everybody (especially my fellow Boricuas DRLyss and SFlo) yall give me hope for when I apply! For real, this is why I came to this site =)

Inspirational!
:wink: boricuaaaaaa haha. I'm amazed by all the amaZing people I meet, both non-URM & URM, while I complete my north east med school tour. reach for the stars, baby

^^ how did you change your screen name?
I became a donor & requested it. I figured now that I am accepted to med school it won't be very long till I lose my QTness due to lack of sleep & increase in fast food intake haha

PS: loving your avatar

Haha at losing your qtness. I was just wondering since i'd never seen that happen or possibly just never noticed

congrats every1! to whatupdoc u just gota stop right now. This is unfair. Ur the man kid. keep at it man

University of South Carolina School of Medicine

Finally.

congrats every1! to whatupdoc u just gota stop right now. This is unfair. Ur the man kid. keep at it man

good lookin out my mans...same 2 u 2...im glad u had fun at columbia...i really liked it there...a lil too much lecture time for my taste, but P&S club is sah-weeeet!

im actually really :( that howard seems 2 be snubbing me. my family jus has no luck with this institution...they did the same thing with my brother for undergrad...demanding that he fax a photo copy of ssn before they would review his application..how REDICULOUS is that...my pops had to drive down there and show them his birth certificate...but i would really like an invite here, i have A LOT of friends who go here and to go to the interview day would be nice :oops:

:)I'm loving this process so far 4 for 4 ....GWU, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Albert Einstein!!!