OEC Problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
vorosvirag:

Thanks for the vocab lesson! I did graduate 50th out of 70, so any help I can get is appreciated.

Maybe you can look up the word "Professional" for all of us too. I'm sure that calling your colleages putz and *****s would not fall under the definition.

I hope your attitude on SDN doesn't reflect your personality in real life. As someone who relies on referrals for a living, trashtalking other dentists for ANY reason is not a good way to go about it....FYI

Members don't see this ad.

lets make sense. yes i do invest - just not in slimy for profit health care educational systems that make a mockery of my profession and take money out of my collegues hands and puts it into the pockets of others. i have no problem with people making money though. your post makes no sense to me. i think my business acumen is a little better than yours based on your arguments. in addition, my problem with OEC is well documented on here, and although I hate to see people seeking to make money off our hard work while cheapening the profession being welcomed into the dental world, money is not why I have argued against OEC in my previous posts.

So if tommorow I win the Powerball for $300 million, I should probably not accept the money because that would be taking money that I neither earned or inherited? Also, the lottery is a form gambling, and others might question my character and motives for accepting the money. These guys/gals who had no chance at getting into ortho, but became orthodontist won the lottery. The were in the right spot at the right time. Life is like that sometimes. I definitely can't blame them for keeping the golden egg that they found.
A couple of years ago when I was debating whether to go to an OEC school non-scholarship or just wait it out for another school; I went through all the thoughts of "What will orthodontists think of me, and am I selling out the profession? After speaking to a close friend of the family, it became a clear choice. He said "Orthodontists, programs directors, other residents, and the AAO all want applicants to 'take one for the team' by not applying to OEC-affiliated programs. This could possibly delay your career by years, or you may never get in. Are these same people who are asking you to 'take one for the team' ready to offer you a spot in ortho at another school this year or next year?" :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
"I did graduate 50th out of 70, so any help I can get is appreciated."

If that is true....ever consider being an orthodontist? I think I have a few programs in mind for you. I'm just kidding.

"As someone who relies on referrals for a living, trashtalking other dentists for ANY reason is not a good way to go about it....FYI "

Based on this below quote from you in another thread I don't think he could have counted on many referrals from you to begin with.

Geezer 99
"I will try my hardest to only refer to Imagine for the rest of my career."

What the hell? Now we are talking about the lottery? No - you might not have gotten in. Maybe you needed a better resume if that was the case.

Since we need lame analogies to make non existent points....how about this one.

You know what -I wanted to be a Professional golfer when I was little too......guess what I can't putt worth **** and I have a wicked slice......now I am an orthodontist. And did I mention I just love golf. Work harder or adapt and pick something else. I did. Thank god some sleeze ball didn't back door my way and a bunch of other hacks onto the PGA tour by having some side deal with the networks and taking a portion of my pay. you would have to watch my hack ass playing instead of Tiger woods and Phil Mickletitts. No one would respect the PGA - golf would have sold out. The PGA would be a joke!

So if tommorow I win the Powerball for $300 million, I should probably not accept the money because that would be taking money that I neither earned or inherited? Also, the lottery is a form gambling, and others might question my character and motives for accepting the money. These guys/gals who had no chance at getting into ortho, but became orthodontist won the lottery. The were in the right spot at the right time. Life is like that sometimes. I definitely can't blame them for keeping the golden egg that they found.
A couple of years ago when I was debating whether to go to an OEC school non-scholarship or just wait it out for another school; I went through all the thoughts of "What will orthodontists think of me, and am I selling out the profession? After speaking to a close friend of the family, it became a clear choice. He said "Orthodontists, programs directors, other residents, and the AAO all want applicants to 'take one for the team' by not applying to OEC-affiliated programs. This could possibly delay your career by years, or you may never get in. Are these same people who are asking you to 'take one for the team' ready to offer you a spot in ortho at another school this year or next year?"

First, take the blinders off as far as all the "altruistic" businesses that you may invest in. Someone is making a buck at the expense of another. It's the way of the world.
Second, as far as the golfing analogy goes. You have to be able to cut it in order to compete. Let's face it, orthodontics is hardly rocket science.

First, take the blinders off as far as all the "altruistic" businesses that you may invest in. Someone is making a buck at the expense of another. It's the way of the world.

You sucker. I hope you work for a dental mill since you are so willing to have your hard earned buck being taken by corporations. Are you serious. Is this really your defense of OEC. It happens everywhere so why shouldn't someone else capitalize on my hard work. Why are you so willing to let that into your practice! Makes no sense you business genius. Also, I do not look for altruistic businesses when I am investing. I doubt many do. God knows investment bankers and wall street don't. Another reason to keep our profession from being traded like a commodity - who would care if there was altruism involved. You must hold a degree of altruism to be a good health care provider....as you just said this does not exist in the companies we invest in........why do you want to be forced to work for one then and have them own your school?! The goals of the two do not match and should remain separated!!! You are caught in a bad circular argument. But if you feel that way and want to work in that environment where you are a merely a commodity please PM me your resume. I want to hire you and pimp you. Thank god oec went under....but with people thinking like you in the profession there will be another oec right around the corner. only next time it won't be just ortho...it will spread to dentistry and other specialties. protect the profession......for the financial reasons...but more importantly for the ethical ones as well. we are not merely a commodity....stop trying to make us one.

Second, as far as the golfing analogy goes. You have to be able to cut it in order to compete. Let's face it, orthodontics is hardly rocket science.

Easy francis. That golfing analogy was funny as hell - but may hold a tad of truth. Also, careful on making ortho seem so easy.....sounds like someone who learned all he knows about ortho in dental school....which is nothing. there are some bright kids in my program....some of the best of the best.....and they do not find it easy. Perhaps you are much smarter than me but i have been overwhelmed by the information and knowledge needed to do it well....i have done more thinking and have been more conceptually challenged in the past 5 months than i was all through dental school........i think most residents and orthodontists would agree. the only thing i really have learned in that time is that i know very little and have much to learn. stick to your "business" prowess. you are really good at that. and don't forget to PM me that resume. I need an associate that thinks like you - although part of me thinks you are not in the dental field.

A couple of years ago when I was debating whether to go to an OEC school non-scholarship or just wait it out for another school; I went through all the thoughts of "What will orthodontists think of me, and am I selling out the profession? After speaking to a close friend of the family, it became a clear choice. He said "Orthodontists, programs directors, other residents, and the AAO all want applicants to 'take one for the team' by not applying to OEC-affiliated programs. This could possibly delay your career by years, or you may never get in. Are these same people who are asking you to 'take one for the team' ready to offer you a spot in ortho at another school this year or next year?" :rolleyes:

I have to say, I can see where Firm is coming from.

Anyone who opens their e-mail to find the dreaded "We regret to inform you that you did not match to a position" message will have his mind racing. You start considering all possible alternative options and come up with what the game plan should be if you still really want a career in ortho. All of a sudden, non-scholarship OEC spots can sound really good. You can't judge unless you've been there. And don't tell me that "if you're a good candidate, you will eventually get in somewhere." Acceptance to a traditional ortho program is not guaranteed unless you are holding a piece of paper that says "You are admitted to the class starting in fall 2007." Any verbal promises made by programs during interviews ("I'm sure you'll get in somewhere" and "We would love to have you as a resident") is just small talk and lies. You can interview at 12 programs and take the chance of getting shafted by match, or you can take an acceptance from a non-scholarship OEC pre-match and know that in the end, you will be an orthodontist and it is upto you & your efforts to be a darn good one despite where you train. Option 2 can start sounding like a freaking fantastic deal when you've been burned by match and don't want to spend the rest of your career doing MODBFL composites.

"note what is important in a for profit company.....profit. not students, not patients not the profession. the almighty dollar at all costs." Antidentite.

Antidentite,
I hope that you practice entirely pro-bono. Therefore you are not corrupted by the almighty dollar. As you know even small businesses (private practices) are for profit companies.

horrible argument. i guess you're trying to simplify the discussion by using extreme examples but anyone who's been thru dental school understands that yes we are running a private practice (business) yet also maintain a code of ethics.

Anyone who opens their e-mail to find the dreaded "We regret to inform you that you did not match to a position" message will have his mind racing. You start considering all possible alternative options and come up with what the game plan should be if you still really want a career in ortho. All of a sudden, non-scholarship OEC spots can sound really good. You can't judge unless you've been there. And don't tell me that "if you're a good candidate, you will eventually get in somewhere." Acceptance to a traditional ortho program is not guaranteed unless you are holding a piece of paper that says "You are admitted to the class starting in fall 2007." Any verbal promises made by programs during interviews ("I'm sure you'll get in somewhere" and "We would love to have you as a resident") is just small talk and lies. You can interview at 12 programs and take the chance of getting shafted by match, or you can take an acceptance from a non-scholarship OEC pre-match and know that in the end, you will be an orthodontist and it is upto you & your efforts to be a darn good one despite where you train. Option 2 can start sounding like a freaking fantastic deal when you've been burned by match and don't want to spend the rest of your career doing MODBFL composites.

Again just an oral surgery resident. But i believe griffin the difference lies in the fact that being a professional you are supposed to be able to tell the diffence between "what is right, and what is wrong."

Its that whole ethics thing that firm has seem to forgotten about.

firstly, i would do a crown or onlay not a modbfl composite, but that's neither here nor there :)
secondly, yes that's exactly what lazarro had in mind - desperate, short-sighted dental students that would be thrilled at the possibility of gaining entrance into an orthodontics program that their judgement would be clouded and wouldn't quite grasp the potential ramifications of this new type of education and practice model, not only to orthodontics and dentistry, but other disciplines as well. but hey that's fine, as long as you're honest about it. don't rationalize your decision by using arguments such as those found in this thread. be honest and straight up about it.

The AAO keeps a record of Orthodontists, and their family members. It's easy to find out if an orthodontist has/had a relative orthodontist. I didn't attend every interview, because I have to make a decision before I could. "One in the hand is worth two in the bush." Personally, I'm not concerned with the back door stigma. I know I can treat cases as good or better than anyone in America, and my number one concern is my patient. What irritates me is when people make character judgements about others they don't really know. The same guy that antidentite went to school with who was in the bottom 50% did a 3 year mission, teaches sunday school, and mentors troubled teens before they go to school. I'm not concerned about his character. I just shared my story since we took this topic from the Ortho interview 2006 post to here.

so first you started with "There was research done a few years ago to see how many Orthodontist were legacies, the number was near 60%," now you're backtracking a little bit and saying, oh this data is available and easy to see. ok so in actuality no research has ever been done on this. there is a supposed list of orthodontists and family members that you propose doing a search on by comparing last names. ridiculous. perhaps your research methodology and literature review classes were cancelled (actually maybe not, maybe you just have an active imagination).
firm, there are many examples of you coming out with these strong statements / facts, but they are simply not true, i just think you are not very credible. again, just be real about things.

to the poster that said ortho isn't rocket science, that's a very scary statement. then again you seem to be someone who doesn't value the responsibility given to them and the service provided.

so first you started with "There was research done a few years ago to see how many Orthodontist were legacies, the number was near 60%," now you're backtracking a little bit and saying, oh this data is available and easy to see. ok so in actuality no research has ever been done on this. there is a supposed list of orthodontists and family members that you propose doing a search on by comparing last names. ridiculous. perhaps your research methodology and literature review classes were cancelled (actually maybe not, maybe you just have an active imagination).
firm, there are many examples of you coming out with these strong statements / facts, but they are simply not true, i just think you are not very credible. again, just be real about things.

to the poster that said ortho isn't rocket science, that's a very scary statement. then again you seem to be someone who doesn't value the responsibility given to them and the service provided.

Again, what's so unethical about taking a non-OEC scholarship at an OEC school. Everybody wants to turn it back into this "Lazzara is taking advantage of you and the profession" crap. What relationship does he have with non-OEC people? I've met Lazzara twice, he had little involvement in my education (other than building a facility), and I don't owe him a dime. I know I am going to hear a lame response like "Well Firm, if you can't see what's so unethical about it, then you are beyond an explanation" :rolleyes:
S Files- Umm did I say that it was published research, or that it passed a lit review. I just know that a few years ago, some people crunched the numbers as to how many orthodontist were legacies. Personally, I think the number is skewed due to the orthodontists who have more than one relative orthodontist. (ie. Marc Ackerman). Research isn't just the stuff that is published, research doesn't have to be more than me visiting 3 gas stations before determining where to fill up. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I am going to hear a lame response like "Well Firm, if you can't see what's so unethical about it, then you are beyond an explanation"

No one has been giving lame responses in this debate except those in favor of OEC. You were an enabler to the rotten system by attending the school. Your education was as a result of them. End of discussion - it seems like you are trying to distance yourself from OEC now - should have done that long ago.

S Files- Umm did I say that it was published research, or that it passed a lit review. I just know that a few years ago, some people crunched the numbers as to how many orthodontist were legacies. Personally, I think the number is skewed due to the orthodontists who have more than one relative orthodontist. (ie. Marc Ackerman). Research isn't just the stuff that is published, research doesn't have to be more than me visiting 3 gas stations before determining where to fill up.

Just admit you were lying. That "research" number is ridiculous. If it was ever said at all it was probably said by an OEC representative to make you feel better.

I have really enjoyed reading the ongoing debate on this thread. The passion from both sides is profound. I do, however, need someone to clear up an aspect of the argument that has not been fully explained.
The term "selling-out the profession" has been used quite often in attempts to portray OEC, the schools, and the graduates as unethical and a detriment to the profession of dentistry (especially orthodontics).

Damage to the profession occurs in regards to the patient, the doctor, or the profession as an entity. As far as I can tell, no patients have been treated in an unethical manner and the doctor's seem to have been trained just fine without any outside influence from the investor (as in Lazzara dictating treatment modality).

So how exactly did these orthodontic residents sell out the profession? How exactly are they enablers? As far as I can tell from the arguments people are essentially angry that the OEC residents/graduates are either unqualified applicants who were allowed into the profession (which diminishes the public and interprofessional perception of greater educational standard of orthodontists) or they leave the program overvalued and undertrained (getting the big bucks for poor ortho treatment...of which will negatively reflect on the profession in the eyes of the public). Simply associating with the Lazarra economic model should not define someone as a sell-out (unless the investing entity..Lazzara...was influencing the training of the residents or dictating treatment modality). Orthodontists train and then treat patients to make a profit. Lazzara invested in orthodontist training to make a profit.

So are either of these scenario's really happening? Are they really letting in bottom 50% applicants in the program? Are they really not trained well?

Sorry if this is long and drawn out but i'm on the outside looking in and just want to get a better picture of the true logic for your reasoning pro or con.

I am so lost here. It sounds like you guys are arguing for the same thing.

Dirty Molar,

Another definition may help here.

Main Entry: en·abler
Pronunciation: i-'nA-bl&r, -b&l-&r
Function: noun
: one that enables another to achieve an end; especially : one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior

A better question would be to ask those who were OEC-connected/enslaved and are now buying out to enumerate the reasons they want out. I'd guess they want the same model we all do: one that involves a successful private practice w/ autonomy.

My answers to your inquiry are in SDN's archives. You sound sincere, but must not have paid attention to ask such fundamental questions after such lengthy dialogue. But I'll repeat and summarize: OEC created a model and hoped to grow that model even past the three schools they secured. The vast majority of orthodontists fundamentally didn't like the entire model (from admissions to practice philosophy). OEC needed ortho residents to enable themselves and their stockholders to make $ utilizing that now-failed model.

Someone had to perform the work on the patients to enable others to profit. Those who joined OEC enabled another to achieve an end. In this case, the end was profit for OEC and (most of us believe) a compromised admissions process and lack of adequate autonomy relative to practice decisions.

I've used enable enough times to drive home the point that OEC w/o residents could get nothing done. They needed these guys to join. We feel they "sold out" to the functioning (arguably not perfect but functioning) model to jumpstart another model. Interestingly, the functioning model is the one these OEC guys are so excited to re-join.

They likely have hoped all along (since getting "one in the hand") to leave the OEC dreamed-up model and practice like the rest of us. They (the vast majority) just couldn't get in the traditional route. Now, the OEC-affliates are overjoyed to be exiting out the front door after entering through what many would argue was a back door.

These OEC guys getting sued right likely will never say they are relieved to no longer "sell out." But, they would certainly prefer to work on their own terms and not be "sold out" or a hired hand told what to do. Being an employer in Lazarra's system is being an enabler of that same system. We think that is "selling out" the traditional system. I hope that is now clear. These are only our opinions (fused experiences and observations), but I hope our opinions are clear.

Nobody publishes matched or selected students' credentials, so who really knows who's in the top 50 or not. As far as the training goes, who knows about that either? So much in residency is self-taught and comes from self-motivation. How will the OEC grads continue over the next 30 years in practice? Past performance is the greatest indicator for future performance.

vorosvirag:

Thanks for the vocab lesson! I did graduate 50th out of 70, so any help I can get is appreciated.

Maybe you can look up the word "Professional" for all of us too. I'm sure that calling your colleages putz and *****s would not fall under the definition.

I hope your attitude on SDN doesn't reflect your personality in real life. As someone who relies on referrals for a living, trashtalking other dentists for ANY reason is not a good way to go about it....FYI

Geezer, my old friend. You are correct. My response was unprofessional and included some harsh words such as *****ic and putz. However, when you make comments as you did (the jealousy issue) that were not only incorrect but incoherent, I felt obligated to articulate my emotions to you. The word putz seemed the most effective way to commicate how I felt about your remarks. Was it unprofessional? Yes, it was. But I just couldn't get the job done better any other way.

I reserve the right to use these words in such a situation. I'll do it again if you come up w/ similar statements. You sounded confused w/ your words, so I tried to point out the meanings of those words and provide a context. When I have to do this to someone of your age I get frustrated and say unprofessional things. I guess it's a function of my youth. I'm actually much younger than the guy standing to your left.

I've used enable enough times to drive home the point that OEC w/o residents could get nothing done. They needed these guys to join. We feel they "sold out" to the functioning (arguably not perfect but functioning) model to jumpstart another model. Interestingly, the functioning model is the one these OEC guys are so excited to re-join.

They likely have hoped all along (since getting "one in the hand") to leave the OEC dreamed-up model and practice like the rest of us. They (the vast majority) just couldn't get in the traditional route. Now, the OEC-affliates are overjoyed to be exiting out the front door after entering through what many would argue was a back door.

Give dirtymolar a break, he may not live, breathe and fume anti-OEC if he just joined the ortho admissions process this summer.

But back to your above argument. Firm didn't exactly do what you posted. He signed up for a 2 year "non-scholarship" spot. From what I remember from last year's cycle, there were like 2/16 spots at Denver & Jacksonville, and 8/16 spots at UNLV that were "non-scholarship" meaning "no 7-year contract." Any resident who accepted those spots had to pay a hefty tuition for 2 years, got no stipend, and did not have a 7-year contract to Imagine after graduation. Firm has indicated that this is the route he took, whereas shopaholic has indicated his position had a 7-year contract attached to it. I guess if we are talking about enablers, then shopaholic would fall into that category and he admits this.

True, Firm's spot in ortho was only created because of the school OEC set up, but if his parents, wife, in-laws, 1-year old nephew and 99-year old grandma all live in Jacksonville, then what's the incentive for him to chance the very unpredictable match to go live & train in Cleveland? EVERYONE is looking out for themselves whether you all admit it or not. If we had a bunch of truly altruistic people in this profession, then there wouldn't be such a big faculty crisis (due to the discrepancy in academic vs. private practice salaries).

But back to your above argument. Firm didn't exactly do what you posted. He signed up for a 2 year "non-scholarship" spot. From what I remember from last year's cycle, there were like 2/16 spots at Denver & Jacksonville, and 8/16 spots at UNLV that were "non-scholarship" meaning "no 7-year contract." Any resident who accepted those spots had to pay a hefty tuition for 2 years, got no stipend, and did not have a 7-year contract to Imagine after graduation. Firm has indicated that this is the route he took, whereas shopaholic has indicated his position had a 7-year contract attached to it. I guess if we are talking about enablers, then shopaholic would fall into that category and he admits this.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3351895#post3351895

Some highlights:

Firm said:
As somebody who signed up for the 7 years of indentured servitude, I am beginning to see what con artists they are.

I could pick my nose all day and make $150K! Where's the incentive? This business is so poorly run, and the doctors who deal with OEC are mostly unhappy. If this is your only way to do ortho, you have to do what you have to do. The positive side of OEC is that you are guaranteed $150K even if all you do is pick your nose. So you can take your $150K, and work in another office and make about $200-250K. Plus they paid for school.

What I think we're saying is that Lazarra is a bad person. He is selfish and greedy. What he was doing was not for the benefit of others, it was only for himself at the expense of others, namely: the rest of the orthodontic community, the public, and the ortho residents in his programs. People like him, when their true nature and character is discovered, should be marked and despised by the professional community as the pariahs that they are.

The ortho residents were desperate but I find no pity for them because their desperation was not a desperation for food, clothing, or shelter. Somehow I believe that as a general dentist you would still be able to scrape together enough money to pay your bills. To not accomplish ones professional goals is discouraging and painful but millions of others suffer from the same discouragement. How many people in the world have languished in their current jobs dreaming of some other career where they can make more money, yet have not achieve it? Being willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish your goals is sometimes not an appropriate course to pursue.

What this board is saying is that if you did not qualify to get into ortho the way everyone else did then you weren’t the most qualified applicant. That is a very simple concept to understand on the face of it, isn’t it? You were willing to due something that is blatantly a form of indentured servitude and allow yourself to be taken advantage of, because of your desperation. This allowed the exploitation and commercialization of a noble profession which you do not seem to a have a problem with because it helped you, however unjustly, though it hurt pretty much everyone else. Because of this you have aroused the bane and ire of your colleagues and your judgment is suspect. After all, why would the professional ortho community want to admit members who lack the ability to make reasonable moral and ethical choices?

All of this sounds like the "you are either with us or you are against us arguement." I'm not sure about Colorado, and Nevada but Jax has dedicated 10 of it's 14 spot to OEC. My point is that OEC is not going away. Their plan is to lay low for awhile then start back up again, possibly next year under a new name. JU has started making alot of money on the ortho clinic. They are about $28 million in debt, so they are on the side of OEC. Beware the dragon will be back!

HOLD THE PHONE! jachyra hit the motherload!!!

firm:
you must rectify these two posts you made below or you are an absolute fraud which was evident after your 60% "research" posted above. are you kidding me. you are a con artist. you lie and say you were not OEC scholarship when in fact you were after trying to make a distinction between the two to make the one seem like it has more credibility! unbelievable. i hate liars and fakes. no wonder why you and others who attended the program will forever be shunned by the profession. this is what OEC and those programs breed! i especially enjoyed how you bashed OEC yourself.

FIRM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3351895#post3351895
As somebody who signed up for the 7 years of indentured servitude, I am beginning to see what con artists they are. They have already changed the contract after we committed to them. When we signed on with them the contract said we weren't financially responsible for the losses incurred in the first couple of years. (I felt this was a great deal, since I could learn ortho on their dime) Then a couple of days before the residency started, and 9 months after I turned down a couple of other ortho schools (contrary to popular belief some of us could get into other ortho programs, we just don't want to live on the other side of the country), they hand me another contract which says that I am now financially liable if the practice doesn't make money. They told me sign it or don't start school next week.
Don't believe that crap about opening two offices for you. They will tell you that they are opening two offices for you and you need 22 starts a month to pull in $5-600K/ year. They told me that, now they are telling me that I have to earn my second office. (probably 4 years into the contract so that I can pay off all the office expenses). So now one office has to have 44 starts. Another thing is they have a ton of "corporate expenses". They send 6 people down to your office to "fix" something and you have to pay for their travel expenses, and their entertainment. They take their sweet time to reimburse you, and now they are sending fake patients into the offices to spy. You will never end up making more than 150K/year, because the cost to open all these new ortho programs is coming directly from your practice. It is considered an expense. If you build a million dollar practice for them (which takes a lot of work), after overhead, and their take, you will make less than $200K. I could pick my nose all day and make $150K! Where's the incentive? This business is so poorly run, and the doctors who deal with OEC are mostly unhappy. If this is your only way to do ortho, you have to do what you have to do. The positive side of OEC is that you are guaranteed $150K even if all you do is pick your nose. So you can take your $150K, and work in another office and make about $200-250K. Plus they paid for school.

FIRM NOW:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=291816&page=3
Again, what's so unethical about taking a non-OEC scholarship at an OEC school. Everybody wants to turn it back into this "Lazzara is taking advantage of you and the profession" crap. What relationship does he have with non-OEC people? I've met Lazzara twice, he had little involvement in my education (other than building a facility), and I don't owe him a dime.
A couple of years ago when I was debating whether to go to an OEC school non-scholarship or just wait it out for another school; I went through all the thoughts of "What will orthodontists think of me, and am I selling out the profession? After speaking to a close friend of the family, it became a clear choice. He said "Orthodontists, programs directors, other residents, and the AAO all want applicants to 'take one for the team' by not applying to OEC-affiliated programs. This could possibly delay your career by years, or you may never get in. Are these same people who are asking you to 'take one for the team' ready to offer you a spot in ortho at another school this year or next year?"

Griffin isn't at an OEC school, she's just saying that some people don't fully understand the decision if they haven't been in that position.

"Since we need lame analogies to make non existent points....how about this one.

You know what -I wanted to be a Professional golfer when I was little too......guess what I can't putt worth **** and I have a wicked slice......now I am an orthodontist. And did I mention I just love golf. Work harder or adapt and pick something else. I did. Thank god some sleeze ball didn't back door my way and a bunch of other hacks onto the PGA tour by having some side deal with the networks and taking a portion of my pay. you would have to watch my hack ass playing instead of Tiger woods and Phil Mickletitts. No one would respect the PGA - golf would have sold out. The PGA would be a joke!"

The problem with this analogy is that golf has a very clear and defined bottom line: your score. If you score lower than others, you win, you go on the tour, etc. Ortho applications are not like that. Your scores matter a lot, and maybe more than they should, but it is impossible to boil applicants down to such a clear bottom line. So we can't say that the best or most deserving applicants get in, and the others should work a little harder. Even then, I don't think the best applicants always get in. Some of those that don't get in are probably better qualified than some of those that got in. The nice thing about golf is that it doesn't matter who your dad is, whose butt you kissed, or whatever - just your score matters.
I guess you could argue that there's some luck involved in either situation, also.

All of this sounds like the "you are either with us or you are against us arguement." I'm not sure about Colorado, and Nevada but Jax has dedicated 10 of it's 14 spot to OEC. My point is that OEC is not going away. Their plan is to lay low for awhile then start back up again, possibly next year under a new name. JU has started making alot of money on the ortho clinic. They are about $28 million in debt, so they are on the side of OEC. Beware the dragon will be back!

UNLV representatives have stated that "UNLV is no longer associated with the OEC." So even though the OEC failed to make its promised/contracted payments ("donations"?) to Jacksonville, failed to provide its "scholarship" residents with promised jobs, and is now suing 5 of their former residents are being sued by the company, they're still "on the side of the OEC"? That's amazing.

wayoutwest -

who is arguing that Griffin is at an OEC school?
i have more respect for griffin than anyone on this board. talk about charater, perseverence and sacrifice. she applied numerous times, was repeatedly rejected, and held out to do it the right way when presented with an easy way. she did it the right way. thats the kind of person i want to professionally associate with. thats the type of orthodontist i would want my kids to go to. no question she is capable of putting other priorities and principles above her own wants and desires. i don't think she supports oec based on some of her previous posts, just knows from experience it is tempting. no one argues it is tempting....it just doesn't make it right. if i am wrong griffen i apologize and don't mean to speak for you.

also, the premise of the golf analogy stated...."Since we need lame analogies to make non existent points....how about this one." it was in response to another lame analogy. it was supposed to be funny, and was, but went over your head. it does hold some truth though. but the conclusions you draw are a little disturbing. obviously there are more deserving applicants than spots. fine understood. and yes luck has something to do with it in some cases. life is not fair like that. but it doesn't mean that the profession has to accomdate everyone that wants to do ortho and further more it doesn't mean it has to do that by lowering its standards ethically at the edge of the sword of a for profit company. having said that....the numbers of those going into oec AS A WHOLE do not come close to comparing to the numbers as AS A WHOLE of those in a traditional program. that isn't even my issue with OEC schools though, even if the numbers were the same or better which they are not, my position would remain the same. i feel like i am rehashing - the numerous reasons i oppose it have been listed over and over. also, saying those that got in got in because of their dad or ass kissing is absurd and reeks of jealousy.

Firm? Firm? Where are you?

So, were you OEC or non-OEC? I would guess that's something that is difficult to forget.

The two models don't co-exist very well, Firm. So, yeah, it does sound like the "either with us or you are against us arguement." Except I would spell argument w/o the extra e. They may have alternatives spellings at OEC schools, but where I go to school we employ only one e in that word. Further, a lot is composed of two words: a and lot--not alot. Good luck w/ further spelling.

I'm embarrassed for you guys. I have to provide both definitions and spellings at an unprecedented rate. There's just so much you and Geeze don't get! Your mom probably wrote your ortho personal statements or OEC didn't care what you said or how you expressed yourself as long as you signed on the line.

Good for Jax. What a pack of fools for sticking w/ OEC--a company that has repeatedly demonstrated that they don't know how to manage themselves. OEC tried the new name thing once before. Ever heard of OCA?

JU can't free itself from OEC or it doesn't want to? Where did the $28M debt come from? Unfulfilled promises from OEC? How do you know about all these #s?

Beware, the dragon will be back? You're a fool for expressing yourself the way you do. Yep. I used a naughty word--fool. Sorry, I couldn't find a more expressive word. All this beware and warning stuff about the return of something you very well know most of us despise. You are a curious creature.

Be honest, are you pleased they're (the OEC dragons) laying low and mounting a comeback? Be truthful and go on the record, Firm.

" Ever heard of OCA? "

Yeah I think so. Was it associated with that Lazarra guy who has had / is having problems with the SEC? Wait is that the same company Lazarra founded and made all his money from. The company he bailed on/asked to leave when things got sticky so he could spawn another unethical beast OEC. Is that the same company that misrepresented its earnings, made unethical payments to its top officers and defrauded investors? Is that the company that was invesitgated and sanctioned by the SEC? Same company that got kicked off the NYSE? Same company that became a penny stock. Yeah it does ring a bell. Connect the dots you *****s out there. Do not let your profession align with this!

Give dirtymolar a break, he may not live, breathe and fume anti-OEC if he just joined the ortho admissions process this summer.

In my opinion, dirtymolar was not adequately attentive with so much of the discussion laid out before him. He even sounded sympathetic toward OEC and their aims. I think that behavior manifests a pathology that can potentially grow into the form of shopaholic one day. I shared my opinions about enablers and selling out. That is what he asked for. If he got his feelings hurt, I regret that.

I guess we don't know who or what Firm really is, do we?

True, Firm's spot in ortho was only created because of the school OEC set up, but if his parents, wife, in-laws, 1-year old nephew and 99-year old grandma all live in Jacksonville, then what's the incentive for him to chance the very unpredictable match to go live & train in Cleveland? EVERYONE is looking out for themselves whether you all admit it or not. If we had a bunch of truly altruistic people in this profession, then there wouldn't be such a big faculty crisis (due to the discrepancy in academic vs. private practice salaries).

Of course, everyone looks out for themselves. However, I repeat it's better to remain on the side of the established system--despite its weaknesses--than join the opposition. You're all intelligent. Don't jeopardize your repuatations/careers w/ a move like this. I know a resident from an OEC school who is so happy to be out from under the stigma of OEC. It was a crushing burden. He was haunted in some way every day by it. He was lucky to be let out. If he and the rest of the OEC buy-out guys are so eager to be out it must not have been that great to be in, right? Others who may go to JU (if it in fact remains OEC-affiliated) may not be so lucky.

Geezer, my old friend. You are correct. My response was unprofessional and included some harsh words such as *****ic and putz. However, when you make comments as you did (the jealousy issue) that were not only incorrect but incoherent, I felt obligated to articulate my emotions to you. The word putz seemed the most effective way to commicate how I felt about your remarks. Was it unprofessional? Yes, it was. But I just couldn't get the job done better any other way.

What's the rent on that glass house? :)

"Since we need lame analogies to make non existent points....how about this one.

You know what -I wanted to be a Professional golfer when I was little too......guess what I can't putt worth **** and I have a wicked slice......now I am an orthodontist. And did I mention I just love golf. Work harder or adapt and pick something else. I did. Thank god some sleeze ball didn't back door my way and a bunch of other hacks onto the PGA tour by having some side deal with the networks and taking a portion of my pay. you would have to watch my hack ass playing instead of Tiger woods and Phil Mickletitts. No one would respect the PGA - golf would have sold out. The PGA would be a joke!"

The problem with this analogy is that golf has a very clear and defined bottom line: your score. If you score lower than others, you win, you go on the tour, etc. Ortho applications are not like that. Your scores matter a lot, and maybe more than they should, but it is impossible to boil applicants down to such a clear bottom line. So we can't say that the best or most deserving applicants get in, and the others should work a little harder. Even then, I don't think the best applicants always get in. Some of those that don't get in are probably better qualified than some of those that got in. The nice thing about golf is that it doesn't matter who your dad is, whose butt you kissed, or whatever - just your score matters.
I guess you could argue that there's some luck involved in either situation, also.

i'm just as bitter as the next person regarding the application process. i'm one of those people that opened up their email last yr. and didn't match. ya, i also wish there were enough spots and there is luck involved. when jax, unlv, col sent out the massive post-match emails last yr. you better believe i was desperate and tempted. but as i've written on here (read my other posts), i didn't want to associate with them for several reasons. even from a purely selfish standpoint, i was concerned about the training - after being told from current residents about some of the problems regarding large amounts of classes being cancelled, dysfunctional clinic, and other problems that can't be chalked up to be growing pains.
now from a global perspective i simply couldn't bring myself to associate with oec (even as a non-oec). for obvious reasons indentured servitude, walmart dentistry, etc etc the list goes on. don't want anything to do with jax/unlv/col and what they stand for. shoot if they were/are succesful, think about the ramifications not only to ortho, but dental as a whole and other fields as well. i want no part of that.
believe me, i visited, researched and talked to a few people in these programs. i think i speak for the majority of my colleagues who looked into it. hey you just suck it up and apply again. i improved my application, and got double the interviews (8) than i did last yr. wayout west i wish you the best of luck, i remember you from last yr hope you match you have good stats and deserve it.

Firm, i've read some of your old posts and no i'm not gonna kick you while you're down. i think as someone "on the inside" who's been through the extremely shady practices of oec you would be able to expose them like you did in your previous posts (can't believe they changed your contract in the middle???!!) wow. that not only reflects poorly on oec, but the schools as well. you were doing a service to potential applicants who may have been confused about these programs. i think the dental community (and universities as well) have a lot to learn from this experience. instead you've changed your tone and you're taking this way too personally (which is funny because this is an anonymous chat forum:) and you're constantly changing the discussion from oec problems to your stats.

Good to see you're on-line, Firm. So, were you OEC or non-OEC?

Yep. I make mistakes in spelling like everyone else. However, I just bet it's less common than w/ you. To leave out a chunk of a word--as I did in communicate--is more likely to be caused by oversight than a lack of understanding of its true spelling. Most reasonable people would agree w/ this. You guys make the hallmark mistakes (in spelling and logic) of novices. Worse yet, you sound like novices who don't care.

vorosirag- I actually did catch the misspelling of argument, and tried to edit it, but apparently it didn't go through. Now that I know you is checking my speeling and grammer :D I won't bother to use the spell check.

I applied to JU Non-OEC, was accepted Non-OEC, before school started I contemplated signing with them to pay for my education. OEC works by giving you three contracts, and all three have to be signed in order to be bound by the them. I signed the Education Agreement before school started, but we could never come to terms on the Practice Agreement or the Business Agreement. They use a bait and switch with these contracts which is unethical, and possibly illegal. What they promised to me was that I would get 40% or $150,000 if I worked at an office (in a location that I was going to anyway). I would be able to work outside, and I didn't have to work a specific amount of hours. To me this is a no-brainer. They wanted to pay for school, and pay me to work in their office (which I knew was going to fail), all while starting my own office on the other side of town. However, the deal kept changing, and ultimately I turned them down.

I'm not taking this personally. Frankly, I really don't care what some of you think of me. I've never been that kind of person. What I take offense to is people saying that those who took OEC scholarships are immoral or unethical.
People are making unfair judgements about people that they don't know. My point is that I know them, some of them are immoral and unethical, some of them are not. The percentage of immoral and unethical OEC residents is no higher or lower than non-OEC residents, dental students, classmates from undergrad or high school. You have immoral and unethical people all throughout life, and OEC affiliation has no correlation to this.

Also, I believe that we are debating mulitple topics, and those who are against OEC are not making distinctions between all parties that are involved in this. So who are the players? There is Lazzara and the company (OEC), the schools that OEC affiliated with (what I mean here is the actually school, not the ortho program, you could be an undergrad at Univ of Colorado and not know about OEC), The Program directors, The faculty, the non-OEC residents and the OEC-residents. Sometimes when people say "the school is bad for affiliating with OEC" that is a decision by the institution and not necessarily the program director or faculty. Let's use JU as an example. JU is in debt for $28 million (non-OEC related), it sees the ortho program as a way to make money and get out of debt. I think the ortho program might be clearing $2 million a year. Probably out of desperation they signed with Lazzara, and it proabably didn't hurt that he was on the Board of Trustees. The program director just wants to teach orthodontics, and be given enough funds to do so. At JU for example, the program director has had the title at three different schools. For him it's an opportunity to teach ortho, and move out of the northeast. He has a track record of accepting residents who are "sub-par" from the other residency he's led, sometimes this is at a disadvantage to JU. He likes classes to have some top 10's, some bottom 10's, clinical experience, age, ethnic diversity, and generally diverse life experiences. Often, to the dismay of other residents he accepts these "sub-par" students. I just want to dispell the rumor that the only people these programs can get are "sub-par" applicants. Personally, I kind of liked having a mix of people in my residency program. I would have gone nuts if I was stuck with all top 3's all day long. They are great at memorizing info, but to take a quote from the Waterboy, sometimes they don't have "what dey call da social skills". :barf: I do wish that he would take more top-tier applicants, just to improve the perception of the program.
I'm not going to argue that the OEC-residents are statistically below what you find at most ortho programs. However, I can't fault them for taking advantage of a a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. Frankly, if they had not accepted OEC positions, then someone else would have. I think that you actually owe these students a debt of gratitude. They were the ones who were instrumental in bringing down OEC. OEC only works if doctors are willing to work for it. OEC went under because the doctors intentionally dragged @ss when they were in practice, and in colorado a whole class revolted against OEC. It's good to have friends on the inside. :smuggrin: Lazzara is even suing residents for collusion (Vorosirag-spell check that for me).
Next player is the non-OEC resident. Most of these people including me laid low in the program. We owe a $hit load of money, and know that our ethics, and skills will be questioned. However, none of us had difficulty finding a good-paying job out of school. I think we'll be alright.
Lastly, the faculty, they just want to teach. I place them in the group with the program director. Either they are retired and want to share somethings that they have learned, they want to retire in florida without taking the state board, or they are foreigners who want to work in the US. Either way, I am thankful for their presence.

I think we are all anti-OEC, but I wanted to make some distinctions about everyone involved in this thing. JU doesn't have a choice about designating spots to Lazzara. They signed a contract (I think for ten years) to give Lazzara 10 out of 14 spots. Even though Lazzara backed out of his deals with UNLV and Colorado, the JU building and program was far enough ahead that Lazzara was able to fulfill his commitment. The program director wants Lazzara out, the school wants Lazzara out, and you know the residents want Lazzara out, but there is a contract. So like I said, Lazzara will disappear this year, and probably reappear with a new name next year. The problem is no matter when he comes back, he will be able to find people to accept his deal. The key is to keep putting people on the inside and keep shutting him down until he is broke or gives up.
I think what pisses antidentite, and vorosirag off the most is that more residents means more competition. There are so few orthodontist out there that you really don't have to have a personality or skill to make a lot of money. With these three programs there will be more coming out, but it's not going to come close to flooding the market. The median age for an orthodontist is 55 years old (JCO december 2005, or jan 2006). There were a lot more coming out of school in the 80's than today, when programs had larger class sizes. I wouldn't worry about the competition even in states like Florida where there are 3 programs. Most of the JU crowd isn't licensed in FL, and since Jacksonville is all they know about FL, none of them wishes to stay.

Ok long post, so let's summarize:
1.) Lazzara will be back, so watch out
2.) Don't have anything to do with him
3.) There is a distinction between the company OEC, school, program director, faculty, OEC-residents, and non OEC-residents
4.) JU signed the deal with the devil, and can't get out.
5.) Being moral or immoral has nothing to do with your affiliation with OEC
6.) The OEC people are responsibly for bring down OEC
7.) The number of new programs is not going to flood the market

So my advice is to apply to as many programs as posible. (OEC-affiliated and non-OEC affiliated) Take as many interviews as you can. Go to whatever school you can get into. Stay away from any deals with Lazzara. Learn as much ortho as you can. Treat people the way you would want to be treated. If you ever get the opportunity to shake Lazzara's hand, count your fingers afterward to make sure you still have 5.

Ok let's leave Dirtymolar out of the personal attacks here. Don't worry about my feelings...i've deployed with the marines several times while issued a 9mm in volatile environments so please, i do believe my skin is a tad bit thicker and resilient than most.

Yes, i didn't read the archives. It was so fraught with trite personal attacks that I decided my time would be better spent if someone was to summarize their educated personal opinions for me while I see my patients :D .

Thank you for your responses (I do enjoy vorosvirag's LA Law inspired style of debate!) I do not sympathize with OEC and I now understand the ramifications to the profession but was just worried about the fallout...(ie professional segragation). Again, on the outside looking in!

Ok long post, so let's summarize:
1.) Lazzara will be back, so watch out
2.) Don't have anything to do with him
3.) There is a distinction between the company OEC, school, program director, faculty, OEC-residents, and non OEC-residents
4.) JU signed the deal with the devil, and can't get out.
5.) Being moral or immoral has nothing to do with your affiliation with OEC
6.) The OEC people are responsibly for bring down OEC
7.) The number of new programs is not going to flood the market

So my advice is to apply to as many programs as posible. (OEC-affiliated and non-OEC affiliated) Take as many interviews as you can. Go to whatever school you can get into. Stay away from any deals with Lazzara. Learn as much ortho as you can. Treat people the way you would want to be treated. If you ever get the opportunity to shake Lazzara's hand, count your fingers afterward to make sure you still have 5.

I refuse to read posts that long, but appreciate the summary. From reading your summary, we agree on nearly all of your seven points. I think we can get along fine.

However, I don't understand how you can despise Lazarra without condemning his plan. The OEC students are all nice guys. Yet, how can they stay 100% free of the pollutants so well attached to Lazarra? After all, they're the foot soldiers carrying out his mission.

In other words, if you're willing to admit JU has signed a deal with the devil, why can't you apply the same line of logic that those students who associate w/ the Lazarra organization (OEC) also signed a deal w/ the devil (if only for 7 years)?

I think the fact the JU program director wants to bail and get a position at another school speaks volumes of where he thinks JU ortho is going.

I think the fact the JU program director wants to bail and get a position at another school speaks volumes of where he thinks JU ortho is going.

Interesting. He must have had a terribly difficult job the last few years. I wonder what it's like to be a program director at an OEC school. I would guess it's challenging to converse w/ many of your academic colleagues (and even more challenging w/ most private practice folks) in a natural way.

I've heard UNLV is no longer OEC-affiliated at all. How about CU? Still tied to OEC?

I never said the JU program director is leaving JU. He left another school for JU. I don't like Lazzara, I'm not a fan of his plan, but I do like the residents. I separate Lazzara, and the plan from the people involved in the plan (as long as those people didn't create the plan).

who is arguing that Griffin is at an OEC school? S files said something about it, sorry, I responded to two different things there.

wayoutwest - well

also, the premise of the golf analogy stated...."Since we need lame analogies to make non existent points....how about this one." it was in response to another lame analogy. it was supposed to be funny, and was, but went over your head. Didn't think it was funny. Feel free relish in your clever analogy though. it does hold some truth though. but the conclusions you draw are a little disturbing. obviously there are more deserving applicants than spots. fine understood. and yes luck has something to do with it in some cases. life is not fair like that. but it doesn't mean that the profession has to accomdate everyone that wants to do ortho I don't mean to say that it should. I am just frustrated I guess that there is not a better way to "measure" applicants. The system is imperfect, but it may be the best possible way to do it. and further more it doesn't mean it has to do that by lowering its standards ethically at the edge of the sword of a for profit company. I am not trying to argue one way or the other on the OEC thing. having said that....the numbers of those going into oec AS A WHOLE do not come close to comparing to the numbers as AS A WHOLE of those in a traditional program. Agreed that isn't even my issue with OEC schools though, even if the numbers were the same or better which they are not, my position would remain the same. i feel like i am rehashing - the numerous reasons i oppose it have been listed over and over. also, saying those that got in got in because of their dad or ass kissing is absurd and reeks of jealousy. I think it is well established that having that little extra boost in some way makes it easier to get in. And yes, I am jealous, having applied last year and not been accepted. I can admit that.

i'm just as bitter as the next person regarding the application process. i'm one of those people that opened up their email last yr. and didn't match. ya, i also wish there were enough spots and there is luck involved. when jax, unlv, col sent out the massive post-match emails last yr. you better believe i was desperate and tempted. but as i've written on here (read my other posts), i didn't want to associate with them for several reasons. even from a purely selfish standpoint, i was concerned about the training - after being told from current residents about some of the problems regarding large amounts of classes being cancelled, dysfunctional clinic, and other problems that can't be chalked up to be growing pains.
now from a global perspective i simply couldn't bring myself to associate with oec (even as a non-oec). for obvious reasons indentured servitude, walmart dentistry, etc etc the list goes on. don't want anything to do with jax/unlv/col and what they stand for. shoot if they were/are succesful, think about the ramifications not only to ortho, but dental as a whole and other fields as well. i want no part of that.
believe me, i visited, researched and talked to a few people in these programs. i think i speak for the majority of my colleagues who looked into it. hey you just suck it up and apply again. i improved my application, and got double the interviews (8) than i did last yr. wayout west i wish you the best of luck, i remember you from last yr hope you match you have good stats and deserve it.

Thanks S files. Good luck to you to. I've got 3 this year, so it's looking up a bit. I almost got sucked in to the OEC too, but I am glad not to be part of it now.

I saw JU's orthodontic website today. The tuition was $75,000!

That's insane. Is that for non-OEC spots?

I thought Firm said they were going to remain OEC-affiliated. In that case, they usually provide "scholarships" (about $40K) to the students who sign on the OEC line.

Firm? Firm? Where are you?

So, were you OEC or non-OEC? I would guess that's something that is difficult to forget.

The two models don't co-exist very well, Firm. So, yeah, it does sound like the "either with us or you are against us arguement." Except I would spell argument w/o the extra e. They may have alternatives spellings at OEC schools, but where I go to school we employ only one e in that word. Further, a lot is composed of two words: a and lot--not alot. Good luck w/ further spelling.

I'm embarrassed for you guys. I have to provide both definitions and spellings at an unprecedented rate. There's just so much you and Geeze don't get! Your mom probably wrote your ortho personal statements or OEC didn't care what you said or how you expressed yourself as long as you signed on the line.

Good for Jax. What a pack of fools for sticking w/ OEC--a company that has repeatedly demonstrated that they don't know how to manage themselves. OEC tried the new name thing once before. Ever heard of OCA?

JU can't free itself from OEC or it doesn't want to? Where did the $28M debt come from? Unfulfilled promises from OEC? How do you know about all these #s?

Beware, the dragon will be back? You're a fool for expressing yourself the way you do. Yep. I used a naughty word--fool. Sorry, I couldn't find a more expressive word. Do you want many true colleagues in orthodontics w/ that behavior? All this beware and warning stuff about the return of something you very well know most of us despise. You are a curious creature.

Be honest, are you pleased they're (the OEC dragons) laying low and mounting a comeback? Be truthful and go on the record, Firm.

Lighten up on the spelling and grammar man!

Good to see you're on-line, Firm. So, were you OEC or non-OEC?

Yep. I make mistakes in spelling like everyone else. However, I just bet it's less common than w/ you. To leave out a chunk of a word--as I did in communicate--is more likely to be caused by oversight than a lack of understanding of its true spelling. Most reasonable people would agree w/ this. You guys make the hallmark mistakes (in spelling and logic) of novices. Worse yet, you sound like novices who don't care.

This isn't some kind of contest, my goodness. Do you want us to say you're smarter than them? Will that make you happy?

Thanks S files. Good luck to you to. I've got 3 this year, so it's looking up a bit. I almost got sucked in to the OEC too, but I am glad not to be part of it now.

Keep your chin up, wayoutwest. You've chosen wisely. It's not easy to make decisions like you have. But, in the long (sometimes very long) run you'll be grateful. PM me if I can be of any help.