OD vs OMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaeAnn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking through these forums for a bit now and at the moment I am a pre-optometry student. Lately though, I have been looking into an OMD. I was just wondering if I could get some input on why people are choosing OD’s over an OMD and how different the requirements are between the two. Any opinions would be wonderful (though I am hoping not to start a fight which seems to be what happens around here. ;)). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I second that. The reason why I chose to go into optometry rather than be an OMD is because it was extremely important for me to have manageable hours and be able to have an extensive life outside of work. I try not to let the public perception thing bother me, although I'm already getting that question from people I meet: "Why don't you want to be an eye SURGEON?" Grrr... :smuggrin: I just have really never had any interest in performing surgery.

Oh, by the way, I am battling senioritis too, ICanSeeAnOD. lol It's getting pretty severe. :rolleyes:

not to mention, the insurances for malpractice is expensive.