OD school without the OAT but with MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jluv

Reaction score
Did anyone get into optometry school by substituting the MCAT or another test for the OAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get into optometry school by substituting the MCAT or another test for the OAT?
Is the MCAT harder than the OAT? I'm scheduled to take the OAT in a few months so I would love to avoid this if possible

Every school looks at when you took the GREs or MCATs. If they’re older than 2 years, you won’t be able to apply until you retake either of them, or take the OATs. So if your scores expired (older than 2 years), it’s worth taking the OATs.

and most of the programs I’ve spoken to regarding my “substitute” scores told me that submitting the GREs and MCATs actually puts applicants at a disadvantage, because it makes you seem as if you are “a med school reject” and optometry was your back-up, especially if you decide to apply this late in the cycle, with these test scores (makes you seem like you’re jumping ship because you ran out of options). So I highly recommend taking the OATs. If you did okay on the MCATs, you should do okay on the OATs.

I also recommend applying next cycle.

Also, which exam to take depends on the rigor of the undergraduate institution. If you went to community college, you need to show high scores on the OATs (GRE scores won’t be accepted bc the undergrad institution is “easier”). If you went to a competitive 4-year, and had a competitive major, you can show medium range scores on the OATs. Where did you go for undergrad and what was your major?

University of Wisconsin, Psychology Major.
4.0 GPA overall and sciences. I only need one more class microbiology.

I took the DAT and got two interviews to optometry school

Reactions: 1 user