OD vs OMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preparing for my interviews and trying to figure out how to put into words on how to explain the difference between an optometrist and opthalmologist? possibly to a 3rd grader?

How did everyone answer this question? Besides the obvious differences. i already have a list of things to say about optometrist but I am having a hard time figuring out how to explain the difference for opthalmologist. Besides performining eye surgeries and prescribing medications, what else can i say? any help will be appreicated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i was never asked this question during any of my 6 interviews but it's always better to be over prepped than under!

This is how i typically explain it to people who ask this question though: An opthomologist is an MD who goes to med school and completes their residencies in opthomology whereas an optometrist is a primary eye care provider. Opthomologists are usually specialized in certain parts of the eye just as retina, neuro, cornea, etc. and optometrists can provide general care for all parts. Opthomologists are also able to perform surgeries that optometrists can refer to them. In some states, optometrists are able to prescribe the same medications as opthomologists so maybe know the rules that apply to the state you're in!!

I hope that helped, those are some of the key differences that I like to mention. Something to also research while you're prepping for interviews are state laws/legislation and scopes of practices. I incorporated that into my interviews and I think it impressed some of the people I was interviewing with. This website helped me a lot What is the Scope of Practice in My State? - OptometryStudents.com . Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
i was never asked this question during any of my 6 interviews but it's always better to be over prepped than under!

This is how i typically explain it to people who ask this question though: An opthomologist is an MD who goes to med school and completes their residencies in opthomology whereas an optometrist is a primary eye care provider. Opthomologists are usually specialized in certain parts of the eye just as retina, neuro, cornea, etc. and optometrists can provide general care for all parts. Opthomologists are also able to perform surgeries that optometrists can refer to them. In some states, optometrists are able to prescribe the same medications as opthomologists so maybe know the rules that apply to the state you're in!!

I hope that helped, those are some of the key differences that I like to mention. Something to also research while you're prepping for interviews are state laws/legislation and scopes of practices. I incorporated that into my interviews and I think it impressed some of the people I was interviewing with. This website helped me a lot What is the Scope of Practice in My State? - OptometryStudents.com . Good luck!

Thank you so much! I had a majority of what you mentioned besides that Opthalmologists specialize in retina, neuro, etc. I just wanted to have solid answers just in case if I was asked.

I was definetly planning on mentioning the state laws/legislations of Kentucky vs my home state during my interview! I hope it will impress them too!