Observership advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream u s residency

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am IMG , I have got the opportunity to do observership / shadowing at USF Tampa ( Tampa general hospital ) . Since I am a graduate I can only do observership , please if anyone can tell me getting LOR would that help my application for IM residency as I can only observe I am not sure how much my attending can comment on my clinical skills ( if I get LOR )
I am asking this since it's really expensive to do observership
I just want to knw if it's going to help me for my application for IM residency

Members don't see this ad.

I am IMG , I have got the opportunity to do observership / shadowing at USF Tampa ( Tampa general hospital ) . Since I am a graduate I can only do observership , please if anyone can tell me getting LOR would that help my application for IM residency as I can only observe I am not sure how much my attending can comment on my clinical skills ( if I get LOR )
I am asking this since it's really expensive to do observership
I just want to knw if it's going to help me for my application for IM residency
I would think the importance of an observership is program-dependent. Many programs won't consider an observership at all. Some programs might will consider it better than nothing (if you have no USCE).

I don't know how big of a cost it would be for you, but that depends on how badly you want to go to the US for residency. Some IMGs sacrifice quite a lot more than only money to get to the US for residency, but again that depends on how important this is to you.

Also, I don't know if you'll necessarily get a good LOR (that depends on how you do), but maybe you can meet people who can help you. Sometimes it really helps to meet someone in person. And it does seem like there are a few IMGs at USF Tampa's IM residency so it's not completely unreasonable to try there, at least in my opinion.

Thank you for the advice :)
I would think the importance of an observership is program-dependent. Many programs won't consider an observership at all. Some programs might will consider it better than nothing (if you have no USCE).

I don't know how big of a cost it would be for you, but that depends on how badly you want to go to the US for residency. Some IMGs sacrifice quite a lot more than only money to get to the US for residency, but again that depends on how important this is to you.

Also, I don't know if you'll necessarily get a good LOR (that depends on how you do), but maybe you can meet people who can help you. Sometimes it really helps to meet someone in person. And it does seem like there are a few IMGs at USF Tampa's IM residency so it's not completely unreasonable to try there, at least in my opinion.
pay

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone plz help me regarding getting an observership offer? Can't afford to go through those expensive agencies.. I'm an IMG (malaysian) In dire need of USCE.. plz help!! :(

Can anyone plz help me regarding getting an observership offer? Can't afford to go through those expensive agencies.. I'm an IMG (malaysian) In dire need of USCE.. plz help!! :(
You have to search for observerships by contacting each individual program in the specialty you're interested in and inquiring what you would need to do in order to do an observership with them. Different programs have different criteria for how to apply for an observership with their program. Many programs don't even offer observerships. Again, you have to look up what's necessary for each program, because it's not the same everywhere. All this takes a lot of time and effort. That's probably why these companies exist. However, if you can't afford to use their services, then you have to do it yourself.

What you can start with is seeing which programs these companies place people in (if this information is available online). Then go and ask these programs yourself and see what it takes. Another option is to contact programs that take a lot of IMGs and asking what they require.

You have to search for observerships by contacting each individual program in the specialty you're interested in and inquiring what you would need to do in order to do an observership with them. Different programs have different criteria for how to apply for an observership with their program. Many programs don't even offer observerships. Again, you have to look up what's necessary for each program, because it's not the same everywhere. All this takes a lot of time and effort. That's probably why these companies exist. However, if you can't afford to use their services, then you have to do it yourself.

What you can start with is seeing which programs these companies place people in (if this information is available online). Then go and ask these programs yourself and see what it takes. Another option is to contact programs that take a lot of IMGs and asking what they require.

Thank you

I usually do not write reviews or personal Experiences.

Here is a snapshot of my Resume before I applied the first time.

Step 1,2 CK - 220’s

Step 2 CS - Pass - 1st attempt.

Clerkship at Harvard and New York Presbyterian.

Visa required - J1/H1B

Looked like an average resume to match but I did not. So I was hell bent to get what I wanted so i did research for 2 years at an Ivy league hospital for 2 years but still did not match. Now should I use common sense and give up but no, I wanted it so bad. As i was on leaving my facebook usmle 2015 group, I saw an ad from this company called BrooklynUSCE. Something just felt right and I clicked it and one thing led to another and I ended up there. What happened next changed my life.

I was blessed to be working under Dr. Ratesh Khillan who takes care of every student at a personal level. With him, i was almost like a resident and performed all roles of a doctor. From chemotherapy to medical rounds, I was involved heavily in everything. Looking at my dedication he was so impressed he kept me on for 3 more months at no extra cost. FYI, they also arrange accommodation for medical students so its not a rip off and a hassle free experience.
During these extra 3 months, he sent me to a conference in NYC where i met a PD and next thing I know I get an interview from that place. I was nervous after my interview was over but Dr.Khillan put in a post interview call and I pre matched. You say Angels dont exist but they do.

All these websites out there will charge you extra and do anything to take advantage of your insecurity and weaknesses but there are some real people left out there. Please do not hesitate to contact me for more details. Best of luck.

I usually do not write reviews or personal Experiences.

Here is a snapshot of my Resume before I applied the first time.

Step 1,2 CK - 220’s

Step 2 CS - Pass - 1st attempt.

Clerkship at Harvard and New York Presbyterian.

Visa required - J1/H1B

Looked like an average resume to match but I did not. So I was hell bent to get what I wanted so i did research for 2 years at an Ivy league hospital for 2 years but still did not match. Now should I use common sense and give up but no, I wanted it so bad. As i was on leaving my facebook usmle 2015 group, I saw an ad from this company called BrooklynUSCE. Something just felt right and I clicked it and one thing led to another and I ended up there. What happened next changed my life.

I was blessed to be working under Dr. Ratesh Khillan who takes care of every student at a personal level. With him, i was almost like a resident and performed all roles of a doctor. From chemotherapy to medical rounds, I was involved heavily in everything. Looking at my dedication he was so impressed he kept me on for 3 more months at no extra cost. FYI, they also arrange accommodation for medical students so its not a rip off and a hassle free experience.
During these extra 3 months, he sent me to a conference in NYC where i met a PD and next thing I know I get an interview from that place. I was nervous after my interview was over but Dr.Khillan put in a post interview call and I pre matched. You say Angels dont exist but they do.

All these websites out there will charge you extra and do anything to take advantage of your insecurity and weaknesses but there are some real people left out there. Please do not hesitate to contact me for more details. Best of luck.

Free ads. Please delete.

Hello everyone, I am IMG, an old graduate living in Boston on a dependant temporary visa. Could anybody please suggest any opportunities in and around the Boston area? Like observerships or volunteering??

A lot of IMGs do observership. Sometimes when the physician is comfortable with you, they will allow patient interaction. Even if they are 100% hands off, you can read about patient and have an involved discussion on patient care. It is all about impressing people best way possible. If very happy, whether you touched a patient or not, they can push your application. Some of the IMG residencies know that a lot of foreign grads can only do observership

A lot of IMGs do observership. Sometimes when the physician is comfortable with you, they will allow patient interaction. Even if they are 100% hands off, you can read about patient and have an involved discussion on patient care. It is all about impressing people best way possible. If very happy, whether you touched a patient or not, they can push your application. Some of the IMG residencies know that a lot of foreign grads can only do observership

Hello Robinho, thank you for responding. My question was more about what opportunities I may find in and around. Any particular hospital or doctor who accepts observers?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello Robinho, thank you for responding. My question was more about what opportunities I may find in and around. Any particular hospital or doctor who accepts observers?

sorry I was replying to very first post. Didnt realize it was from 2017. Boston has a lot of training programs. U have to email PD and division heads. Almost every hospital in the area has received an observer before-at least through some contact. But am not aware of formalized observership

sorry I was replying to very first post. Didnt realize it was from 2017. Boston has a lot of training programs. U have to email PD and division heads. Almost every hospital in the area has received an observer before-at least through some contact. But am not aware of formalized observership

That’s good to know. I have been trying for the past few months, called them,emailed, even went to talk in person. But nothing worked til now. Will keep trying though.