IMG - Failed Step 2 CS before- How PDs would look at it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faizankhan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I am an IMG who failed Step 2 CS before and now will be applying for Internal Medicine Residency this year. I want to know if PD will have this information available that I have failed CS before as this test has been eliminated now. Is it going to be used as one of the filtering criteria for the applications? Since it has been removed, will it still be seen as something of a red flag for the applicant? How would a PD would react to it if the IMG is ticking all the other boxes like Score above 245 on both step 1 and CK. 6 months of hands-on US Clinical Experience in an inpatient setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it going to be used as one of the filtering criteria for the applications?

Well I would hope so. Step 2 CS is the only test we take in our careers, where we're actually judged on our ability to communicate with a human being and convey important ideas/instructions. I'd favor the physician who does better on CS than on CK.

But of course, I'm in the minority with respect to that opinion. We love those who can meaninglessly memorize and regurgitate facts on multiple guess tests. So if you're >240+ on you steps, you'll probably be just fine.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Well I would hope so. Step 2 CS is the only test we take in our careers, where we're actually judged on our ability to communicate with a human being and convey important ideas/instructions. I'd favor the physician who does better on CS than on CK.

But of course, I'm in the minority with respect to that opinion. We love those who can meaninglessly memorize and regurgitate facts on multiple guess tests. So if you're >240+ on you steps, you'll probably be just fine.
Agree with you in theory but in practice CS was a minimum wage job for an out of work "professional" actor/actress where you were more or less at their mercy behind a grading rubric that is invisible and you never got to know how you were scored. I remember at some point seeing an online post where people were "reviewing" the job of being the standardized patient and they specifically mentioned how one challenge of the job was that it could be hard to remember whether the students did certain things and score them accurately. I've known people who failed it and honestly did not feel like it correlated to anyone who I thought would not be a good MD.

OP it may not reflect well because originally it was a "can you speak English" test, not saying that is right or wrong but that is really how the test started out. People seeing that you failed it might wonder about your English communication skills and filter you out I guess, who knows. On the other hand once you DO make it to the interviews if you do communicate well with interviewers I doubt anyone will care.

Good riddance to that test.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is a red flag and will hurt you because its supposed to be the only objective data to evaluate communication

Hopefully your application has other strengths including attestation from those who work with you affirming that step 2CS doesnt reflect who you are

I probably wouldn't rank that person because I'd be concerned about their communication skills. The test is passed by 99% of people

Yes they can see the results on your USMLE transcript and it is red flag. Explain why you failed on your PS. Good luck!