General Admissions & OTCAS Observation Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laurennnnnot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about people who have multiple observation hours how they record them. Are we supposed to get each individual hour signed off or could we just write 40 hours and have the OT sign off on it? If i do over hundreds of hours i was wondering if I need each hour signed off specifically.
Also do you put those hours on your resume or just attach the hours?

Members don't see this ad.

It completely depends on what your program wants and how they want it verified. Each program differs so it's crucial to read each schools observation hour requirements carefully. Some of the schools I applied for had THEIR OWN observation worksheet form for you and the OT to fill out and they wouldn't accept other forms of verification. Other schools are fine with whatever the facility uses to verify the hours. If it needs to be signed every hour is really up to the school/facility. As for putting it on the resume...if you mean the OTCAS there is a section on the OTCAS where you can upload your verification hours. You will need to scan them. But if you are sending it through the school I would assume you would attach it in your application packet.

I was wondering about people who have multiple observation hours how they record them. Are we supposed to get each individual hour signed off or could we just write 40 hours and have the OT sign off on it? If i do over hundreds of hours i was wondering if I need each hour signed off specifically.
Also do you put those hours on your resume or just attach the hours?

Some schools have their own form for observation hours, but many do not. I made my own form for each site. I used Microsoft word and created a table with columns that included the date, time in and time out, and total hours for the day. At the bottom I had the total hours and a place for the therapist to sign and date. And at the top, I put name of facility, address, type of setting, therapist name and contact info (phone or e-mail). There is a place on OTCAS for you to upload these documents. Hope this helps!