OB without gyn, is that possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there people who complete IM or peds residency, or FP, then decide to do ob?

I find myself interested in ob, but not in gyn, so I'm just asking...

Members don't see this ad.

Are there people who complete IM or peds residency, or FP, then decide to do ob?

Are you talking about completeing any of those residencies and then practicing OB without doing an ob/gyn residency or doing a second residency?

Of IM, peds, and family you can only do OB if you have done a residency in family medicine. And as far as I am aware (not an expert on FP residencies) you can only do c-sections if you have completed an OB fellowship after FP residency. That said, at the FP program here, they only need 40 vaginal deliveries. Having done over 5 times that many vaginal deliveries in my first year of OB residency I struggle to understand how an FP would be comfortable handling the complications that can occur after so few deliveries in training.

If terms of doing a second residency in OB/Gyn, you would have to do the gyn training but it is feasible to practice only obstetrics after residency. If you really dislike gyn your residency will be pretty miserable, though because gyn is a very significant portion of the training.

IM and peds residencies do not teach OB, at all.

You can do OB after FP. You do have to be careful to find the right FP program. As the poster above me said, the ACGME only requries 40 deliveries, but many programs (particularly programs that are rural or in the Midwest) will do many, many more than that. They may also teach you to do C-sections, but I would advise you to do an OB fellowship if that interested you.

As an aside, some people do complete an OB/gyn residency, and then go on to do MFM or become laborists, which effectively cuts out the GYN part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: is it possible to do the other way around? Mostly gyn with minimal OB?

Question: is it possible to do the other way around? Mostly gyn with minimal OB?

Most people will stop OB as they near retirement and only do GYN but they also have a large well established patient base. I've never heard of young graduates finding themselves in that situation. You would probably have to start your own practice which is quite an undertaking for GYN only in terms of recruiting patients. I think it would be hard to pay the bills.

Easiest route to do this is as a laborist. No extra training beyond OB/GYN residency is needed. Tons of job opportunities currently. You would probably be required to cover GYN stuff that comes in through the ED. I've never heard of anyone doing it after an FP residency though.

Actually tracking into either OB or Gyn post residency (there are some residencies that have actually started tracking their residents) seems to be the future of OB Gyn in some settings (such as Kaiser in certain areas).

Laborist and MFM appeals to me the most by far. Anyone have a good resource for finding out more about laborists? I've found a few resources but I'm curious about payment models, job outlook, doctor/patient satisfaction etc. Or if anyone here has worked as a laborist and can describe "a day in the life" and maybe pros and cons they've run into with the job?