ob-gyn in match 2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to liven up our forum, or maybe I'm just bored after taking my surgery shelf exam yesterday...but I thought it would be fun for people planning on going through the match process in ob-gyn next year to introduce themselves! Or anyone else who reads this forum too.

I'll start! :)

state: VA
why ob-gyn?: because I really like surgery, I love talking about contraception, and I think delivering babies is awesome. Plus, I really like working with female patients.
funniest quote anyone has told you when you tell them you want to do ob-gyn:
peds resident: "So, what specialty are you interested in?"
kem: "ob-gyn"
peds resident: "Have you done the rotation yet?"
kem: "yes"
peds resident, incredulously: "And you still want to do it?"
where in the country you're planning to apply: warm places! VA, FL, CA, TX, AZ, NV, etc.

That's all I can think of for now! Please post! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be in there with you.

I'm 29, married +3.5. Trying to finish a PhD.
I like Ob/Gyn for the same reasons mentioned above--surgery, babies, patients . . . I like the pace too.

I will be applying all over--OR, VA, NY etc.

I'm glad someone got this started - every time I check this forum it's dead!

state: NY
why ob-gyn?: because you get to do everything - primary care, surgery, catching babies. i want to work with teenagers and adolescents. Basically, I just like talking about sex.
the quote that made me decide to do ob/gyn:
my pathology mentor: "your impulsiveness lends you to surgery, but your intellect points you elsewhere." what a better place to combine the two than ob/gyn!
where in the country you're planning to apply: NY, NJ, PA, CT, RI, MA, maybe MD and DE...New England and Mid-Atlantic mostly - don't want to go too far from home

at the same time, it's scary to think that we apply this year! arrgghh!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know...I can't believe by this time next year we will have matched! :) At the same time, I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of stuff we have to do for it!

fuzzyerin, I think we have similar interests...I want to work with teens too. I think I have a secret obsession with talking to them about birth control.

neurogeek, that's so cool you're going to have a phd! What field is it in?

Any more of us out there?

:) kem

Hi, thought I'd join in...

state: NY
why ob-gyn?: Primary care, surgery, and Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility.
One day on my surgery rotation a very pleasant scrub nurse (no really, she was) was making conversation as I was srubbing, "So, what do you think you want to go into?" I braced myself (I'm getting used to bracing as I answer), and answered, "Ob/Gyn". From across the OR the anesthesiologist blurts out, "You must be crazy", "No, you laugh, I'm not kidding you've gotta be insane", "Those guys are miserable". (probably not the funniest, but by far the most memorable. What does an anesthesiologist know anyway :) ).
where in the country you're planning to apply: My husband works for Computer Associates, so we are limiting our search to cities with CA offices; NY, CT, MA, RI, Baltimore, DC (geezz, this list looks familiar :) )

This was a fun way to get things moving around here! Looking forward to sweatin this process with ya'll!
Good night,
Rachel

Nice to meet y'all.

KEM - I'm trying to finish up my PhD in neurophysiology. I've only recently made the decision to enter Ob/Gyn. Fortunately, I am learning that neurophysiology can be useful in just about any medical specialty.

Thanks for startin' this up.

Hey gang,

Its not all that bad. Before deciding whole heartedly on OB, I was heading toward Pathology. Try doing a Surgery Core while telling the attending you are interested in pathology. It just opened up the flood gates of Path jokes.

Good Luck

Hi Everyone, my turn!

state: LA
why ob/gyn: I would have to agree with everyone's statements so far: a nice blend of it all (except male patients): I too would like to work with teens,but I also like working with cancer patients...gyn onc.
funniest or maybe not so funny quote: I told a Med/Peds resident that I wanted to do Ob/gyn and she looked at me with a blank expression and then proceeded to pat on the back while saying, "you still have time to change your mind". You gotta love the support!
where am I applying? Warm places and NYC. LA, CA, AZ, FL, SC, GA, NV etc. Maybe I'll see some of you guys on the interveiw trail!!!

Keep on writing it's good to meet all of you :)

Hi,
I am in there with you guys!
Female
state: MS
why ob-gyn?: Because I love it.
Surgery attending: So, what do you think you want to do with your life?
Me: ob-gyn
Surgery attending: Really?
Me: Oh yes, it's fantastic you get to deliver babies and do surgery and
Surgery attending interupting: (In a VERY condescending tone) Ob-gyn's do NOT do surgery they do operative gynecology.
Moments later in the midst of an emergent nephrectomy on a trauma patient, the distal end of the ureter slipped out of his clamp and he had to fish for it while mumbling "well we obviously know now that God is a gynecologist."
where in the country you're planning to apply:
South East probably FL, MS, GA, and TN.

I'm in toO!
state: TN
why ob-gyn?: its the surgical aspects that caught me, and interest in women's health issues.
"don't you want to be a real doctor? you can do that as a midwife!"
where in the country you're planning to apply: TN, GA, NYC, PA, DC, baltimore,FL.

Good idea global on specifying gender.
I'm a female. And everyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
33 Y.O. MALE

State: FL

Why OB/GYN: Primary care and surgery, the best of both worlds. Besides that, catching babies is an awesome experience (even at 3 am). Where else in medicine can you get a rush like that?

Where am I applying for Residency? OH, IL, GA, TN, PA, MD, VA (the not so warm places)

BTW, cool thread. Keep posting guys.

I'm a female!

Argh, I heard this M1 at my med school is going around telling people that he wants to be an ob-gyn so he "doesn't have to think." I'm not quite sure what to make of that-he'll get a rude awakening during his M3 rotation, that's for sure!

6 more weeks of 3rd year for me! :clap:

kem

Yup, I have scheduled step 2 for August 20th. Some of my classmates have already scheduled dates for the clinical skills part of step 2, but I think I'm in denial....

State: AZ
Why OB/GYN: never did things the easy way
Funniest Quote: From my MSIII Surgery Preceptor "Oh, OB/GYN, great for you...F**K em' !" :p
Where I'm Applying: places where I can kayak, rock climb

How many of you are considering fellowship training beyound residency and in what disciplins?

I, myself, am curious (okay, maybe a little bit more than curious) about REI. Do you think it is wise to base residency choices upon which programs offer REI fellowships, or should I just be concerned with getting into a top-notch residency? Thoughts anyone?

'06

Took Step 2 today...phew!

Now, it's time to write that personal statement on why I want to be an Ob/Gyn! :)

Fuzzyerin - Congrats on finishing step 2! I dont't take it till August. And my wife is due with our 4th child 1 week later! :D

Alphaman06 - I'm considering a fellowship, but am not really set at this point (MS 4 as of this week). I'm most interested in MFM. From what I understand, if you are REALLY determined to do REI, then choosing a residency that has a good REI faculty and fellowship can be beneficial. However, I think, in general, that you should be able to get a fellowship coming from any respectable residency. Of course, I may have no idea what I'm talking about. . .

I'm so jealous, fuzzyerin! August 20th is my big day for Step 2. I still have a month of FP left of 3rd year!! :) And congrats on your upcoming baby, neurogeek!

Right now I'm interested in a fellowship in family planning or pediatric and adolescent gynecology. Like neurogeek said, I think if you go to a residency program well known in REI, it may help, but not doing that shouldn't keep you out of a fellowship if you work hard in residency.

just finished up my 3rd year with surgery....now i have a life again!!! :D thought i'd join in (better late than never)

state: TX
why ob-gyn?: women + babies + continuity + surgery...everything I love about medicine. plus your patient population ages with you - they're having babies while you are, they're going through menopause while you are. fun!
funniest quote anyone has told you when you tell them you want to do ob-gyn: "no you don't, you want to be a REAL surgeon"
where in the country you're planning to apply: TX, or if i can convince my boyfriend to take another state's bar ;) ....IL, NY, GA, CA, FL, SC, AZ

Sex: Male
State: NY
why ob-gyn?: It brings the things I'm most interested in together. Surgery, primary care, and continuity of care.
Not really funny, but an OB attending said, "You want to go into OB?! I thought you were smarter than that!" It's kinda sad actually. Other specialities have their problems, but they usually encourage students to join. This doc clearly didn't get the memo.
where in the country you're planning to apply:
North East: NY, MA, NJ, CT

Im 24 yo,,,im an IMG and also will be participating in this 2005 match for OBGYN!! IM currently studying for step 2, may take it sept 15,,,,
I live in NY and i plan to apply to north - east area,.,,
I live obgy mostly because of its diversity....

See ya soon!!!!

24 y/o Latin Female :)

Home: PR

Why ob-gyn?: Love Girltalk!!! Also love surgery a lot and talking about sex,contraception, marriage, kids and more sexxxxx... delivering babies i think is also kinda cute.

Funniest quote: Actually not a quote..... Here I was having lunch with some fellow students and our 29 y/o blonde bombshell OB/GYN Attending in an exclusive area restaurant (she insisted on inviting us :p sweetttt beat that!!) and i started telling her of how I wanted to become a gynecologist but that all the neg. propaganda was making me doubt it........ she told me with a smile: "well... it is tough, but i've managed to survive". This phrase changed my line of thinking........ this woman was smiling...wearing L.Vuitton Bag and shoes with the perfect hair/makeup and the perfect body embraced in a perfectly fitting suit (also exclusive designer) all this plus a perfect male specimen as bonus companion!!!!! Not to forget that she drives a new 911 Carrera Porshe and that she owns a 1.5M home........ WELL IS SHE MANAGED TO SURVIVE!!! i certainly can do it too................ :laugh:

where in the country you're planning to apply: cold places! i've live all my life where the only known season is summer, HOT SUMMERS, so its time for a change....... lets see snow and the famous american winter :eek:

Just out of curiosity, are any of you hesitant to go into OB/GYN due to the litigious nature of the speciality and the exorbitant malpractice rates?

I'm applying for the 2005 match also

Sex: male...yes and I'm just a regular guy who happens to love delivering babies. Coolest job ever!!!
Why do OBGYN?
Well this was a late change for me...the last rotation of JMS year! I love working with young families. I like being there for the really wonderful times in peoples lives and also being there for the really hard times. I think Csxn is the greatest surgery of all time. Definitely with the best result. I'm probably going to do MFM. It has been very difficult to convince my friends that I'm still sane. I hate discussing my career with people outside my family now. What a shame! Oh well, I love getting up in the morning and my days just fly by. Best job ever!
Funny quote:
Before doing my OB rotation, while I was still undecided...I told my uncle that I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but that "it was going to have to have good hours and low malpractice insurance!" I crack me up.
Where in the country am I applying?
FL, GA, SC, VA, D.C., AL, TN

Age: 25 (query to the above poster, I thought I was young! How are you 23 and applying for residency...?)

State: NY

Why ob-gyn?: LOVE the surgeries and procedures - a surgical field without the attitude of general surg; continuity of care; extremely interesting diversity of cases; OB generally a happy field for families (just came out of a C-section with the happiest family ever, so this may be coloring my present opinion)

Funniest quote:
Anesthesiologist: "Where do you think NYC Girl should do residency?"
My OB/Gyn preceptor: "Derm!"

Where in the country you're planning to apply: NY and MA, where I have family and other ties (yay, social support systems!)

Nice to meet you all - good luck to everyone with this whole process!! :p

magic...

combination of young for grade and ambition I guess

Well, okay. It's official. I feel old. :(

In all seriousness, good luck young lads & ladies! :D

Shhhhsh Global! I'm in hiding! :D

i am crashing this party too! even though i am applying for 2006...i am sure y'all don't mind, right!?!?!?!

Age 33
Sex: male
State: cali native, living and learning in prague, among other cities.
Why Ob/Gyn: love the or, love primary care...i also am really fond of the healthier (relatively speaking) patient population. also, i like the idea of being in a field that emphasizes prevention and health maintenence.
Funniest Quote: well....i haven't really heard one. but, everyone sure thinks it is funny that i like ob/gyn! all the docs i know find it very amusing that people actually want to do this for a living...
Where will I apply: start at the coast (yep, all of them!) and then move inland. go to the best hospital nearest good surf that will have me:)

so, since you all will be matching before me, put in a good word for me when you see my application for 2006!

2005 match

Sex: F
Why do OBGYN? babies, surgery, preventative care, no chronic disease management, no end of life care, patient compliance
Funny quote: From an OB preceptor "You'd be a good at OB/Gyn, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd consider anesthesia or radiology, those guys have the best lifestyle."
Where in the country am I applying? IA, KS, MO, NE, OK, TX

Is there anyone else in this process who is scared to death to start residency applications etc? I'm still living in my vacation world....I'm in complete denial that this needs to start.

But, on a happy note, I got my board scores back today for step 2 and i'm definitely happier than I was after step 1...guess that means I should start working on that application now, huh?

Congrats on your step 2 score! :) I'm hoping I'll be a lot happier when I get my score back - I'm not taking it until August 20 (which probably means I should be studying right now)

I'm really nervous about the process, but I just want to get the whole ERAS part over with and sent in so there I can be done with my part of it and have nothing hanging over my head. I've been working on my personal statement, but it sounds so darn cheesy. Sigh.

We can do it!! :D (weak attempt at motivational speaking)

-kem

Hi everyone!
Female
state:AZ
why ob/gyn: 'cos i love this speciality.. completed obgyn residency in my home country too..
where am I applying? NY,NJ,FL,MI,AZ..

Any idea abt programs which will take in old grad (graduated in 1994 :oops: ),IMG, no visa issues??? Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks!

hey KEM, All the best for your step 2. Hope it goes great!

I'll be in the 2005 match as well.

why ob-gyn?: I started out wanting to do rural family practice with a lot of OB-then I realized that OB is all I cared about. I love working with families, having continuity, and surgery. Oh yeh, I love being the first person a new baby sees.
funniest quote anyone has told you when you tell them you want to do ob-gyn: "what in the hell is wrong with you".

states: KY, TN, OH, IN, VA, NC, SC

Hello,

I have recently graduated and I am preparing to take the April 05 MCAT and I was wondering how could I find someone who would be willing to allow me to shadow them and possibly be my mentor. I am interested in OBGYN and just do not know of any physicians that would be interested or know how I could find an OBGYN that may be interested in having a mentor. I am the first person in my family to want to go to professional school so I do not have any contacts or any advice as to how I can go about finding a mentor or someone who would allow me to shadow them so that I could get some clinical experiences because my degree in biology and minors in chemistry and spanish do not provide enough to get any clinical jobs and I have volunteered at hospitals but mostly I am placed in clerical areas so I just thought this would be my last resort as to getting some information. Thank you for any help that anyone can give me. :)

skb21 said:
Just out of curiosity, are any of you hesitant to go into OB/GYN due to the litigious nature of the speciality and the exorbitant malpractice rates?

This is definitely one of my biggest hesitations!! What do you all think? I mean I am trying to decide between Ob/Gyn and Medicine right now. I would love to do Ob/Gyn b/c it was the one rotation that I really loved during my third year but I am so scared about all the malpractice stuff going on. Every time I talk to someone, they are like, why would you do that to yourself? And I want to end up practicing on the east coast probably where the rates are the highest! Any thoughts?

Hi everyone -

Well KEM, I hope Step 2 went OK. I took it on the 21st and am glad it's over (I hope). On Sunday I delivered my son. 8lbs 4 oz, 22 inches. He and my wife are doing great! :D

confused79 said:
This is definitely one of my biggest hesitations!! What do you all think? I mean I am trying to decide between Ob/Gyn and Medicine right now. I would love to do Ob/Gyn b/c it was the one rotation that I really loved during my third year but I am so scared about all the malpractice stuff going on. Every time I talk to someone, they are like, why would you do that to yourself? And I want to end up practicing on the east coast probably where the rates are the highest! Any thoughts?

Do what you love! Unfortunately, people outside of Obgyn (some inside too) will be very negative when you tell them what you are interested in doing. Learn to ignore them.
Fact remains that you will spend more hours at work than you will doing anything else and if you aren't happy there then you won't be happy. Malpractice insurance rates are horrible, hopefully America will wake up and smell the coffee soon and realize if they don't do something they won't have anyone to deliver their children.

neurogeek said:
On Sunday I delivered my son. 8lbs 4 oz, 22 inches. He and my wife are doing great! :D

Congratulations and Best wishes..

neurogeek,

Congrats!! :) That's awesome!

-kem