ob/gyn competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay1363

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any feedback about how competitive ob/gyn residencies are looking at their schools? It seems to be pretty non-competitive but I was wondering about other people's perceptions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe I heard last match (2003), 5-7% of spots went vacant. It was quite news here because they were talking about it in conjunction with doctors dropping OB and strictly GYN, what is this for the future if we don't have reforms and blah blah blah ;)

-Liz

Hi. I just decided to apply for Ob/Gyn residencies and have been searching on FREIDA. Most programs seem to have less than 10 spots, is there any way of figuring out which are the more competitive programs? I am sure there is a resource out there, I just don't know about it yet. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ob/Gyn is NOT competitive. Programs that have never had FMG's are now filling up with them. Of course, there are always certain programs that will remain very hard to get into, but you can pretty much write your ticket in this field. Oh, and if you are a guy-you can go wherever you want.

Yeah, that's the rumor I heard as well. I was just curious how everyone knows this stuff though.

Is "competitiveness" based on the number of IMGs in the program (or lack thereof)?

Is there some way to figure out which programs didn't fill last year?

Thanks for the info, though. Much appreciated.

treesap -

Go to www.scutwork.com and look on the left side of the page - there are links to unfilled programs for the past few years as well as other interesting match stats.

Most/all of my male classmates response when asked about interest in specialty responds with, "Right now I'm opened to everything except Ob/gyn." Seriously, how can this specialty be competitive considering that almost all male med students would never consider ob/gyn? They make up ~50% of med students. I might be wrong, but do male med students actually apply for ob/gyn residency these days? If not, how does it stay competitive?

I believe most males dont want to do ob/gyn anymore because only 40 yrs ago almost all doctors are males. Now, ~50% of doctors are females, and with most patient's having the preference to have a female gyn doc, male docs have no place in ob/gyn anymore (maybe in obstetrics, but not gyn).

cbc,
you're a *****. I think that's all I need to say.

Thank you Doglover. That was exactly what I was looking for! I had a feeling there was a resource somewhere that I didn't know about. It is a bit unwieldy, but it will do!

Cheers!

And you are a hermaphrodite. If you ever bothered to care, you'd notice I was not making generalizations but was asking questions based on personal observations.

minime said:
cbc,
you're a *****. I think that's all I need to say.

(Getting into this thread a little late)

It definitely didn't feel competetive this year. In Maryland for instance I found out on my interview that there were only a couple of students from UMD and Hopkins entering the specialty.

Right now if you have good scores, then getting into a solid program should not be difficult. Being a male helped alot as well... it was interesting to be the only male out of several females on every interview date.

Good Luck to all of you with the match (in whatever specialty you choose)

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that female Ob/Gyn's are preferred over males? Maybe this is just a reflection of their own preference and not of women in general. The only studies I have seen in journals show that MOST women have no gender preference in choosing an OB/GYN. However, these studies did support that females preferred female nurses. Just felt like getting some facts out there.