Ob after Family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ActionFigure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of getting into an OB/gyn residency after completing a family medicine residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why the switch?

because i didn't match into OB this year. i matched in Family, and i'm hoping to try again in 3 years.

I would try again this coming year, but i've read too many horror stories on here about people attempting to switch residencies and they end up with no job and blacklisted in medicine.

There are FM fellowships that you can do for more obstetrical training, C-sections etc. I assume there are also ones for more training in family planning. I don't know what your goals are with ob/gyn but the FM fellowships might work for you.

I know about the OB fellowships offered through Family Medicine, but I'm more interested in MFM or urogyn. And the only way to receive that training is through Ob/gyn.

What are the chances of getting into an OB/gyn residency after completing a family medicine residency?

Why not switch out after intern year?

You also have to ask yourself if you love it enough. 3 years of family medicine + 4 years of OB (maybe 3 if they count your FM experience) + 3 years of MFM = 11 years of residency/fellowship training.

Why not switch out after intern year?

You also have to ask yourself if you love it enough. 3 years of family medicine + 4 years of OB (maybe 3 if they count your FM experience) + 3 years of MFM = 11 years of residency/fellowship training.

Mainly cause I don't want to piss off my PD. Also I know it will be at least another 10 years of training, but I'm hoping a family residency and any accomplishments that I complete under it (publications, papers, etc.) will look appealing to PDs in OB/gyn.

Honestly I won't know how I feel once I start residency, and maybe I'll change my mind about OB/gyn and think it's not worth the extra 7 years. But right now that's my dream profession.

The residency match was brutal this year. A lot of American MD's went unmatched, and no doubt even more American IMG's.

3-4 years from now, I don't see PD's taking a chance on someone whose an attending that's already completed a residency. These folks are at high risk for bailing to pursue more lucrative opportunities elsewhere, especially once they realize that their dream field is just another job.

I think also, they're going to feel a moral obligation not to give a spot to someone whose already completed their training, when there's an increasing number of desperate and indebted folks out there with useless MD's that they can't use without post-graduate training.

The residency match was brutal this year. A lot of American MD's went unmatched, and no doubt even more American IMG's.

3-4 years from now, I don't see PD's taking a chance on someone whose an attending that's already completed a residency. These folks are at high risk for bailing to pursue more lucrative opportunities elsewhere, especially once they realize that their dream field is just another job.

I think also, they're going to feel a moral obligation not to give a spot to someone whose already completed their training, when there's an increasing number of desperate and indebted folks out there with useless MD's that they can't use without post-graduate training.

I totally agree with this. Medicare pays a big chunk of a residents salary, and as such, they expect that a Dr. with a paid for family medicine residency, should be a family medicine doctor. OBGYN is getting more competitive, and that may come into play...

Last edited:
so not to be blunt/rude but those in similar situation (matched FM, wanted OBGYN) are pretty much stuck?

What about all the physicians that are double-board certified in both family and OB.

And why would someone who already went through a family medicine residency, apply for an OB/GYN residency and then bail. That person obviously wants to do OB/GYN, otherwise they would not be applying. That would be a waste of everyone's time.

I'm still going to try.

What about all the physicians that are double-board certified in both family and OB.

And why would someone who already went through a family medicine residency, apply for an OB/GYN residency and then bail. That person obviously wants to do OB/GYN, otherwise they would not be applying. That would be a waste of everyone's time.

I'm still going to try.

Being a resident for another 4 years when all your friends from residency are making 6 figures, paying off loans, buying new cars, buying houses, etc., is a lot more soul sucking than you realize. If I were doing a second residency, watching my fellow residents taking nice vacations and actually having weekends off, I'd consider quitting every week, too.

That being said, the lack of funding is going to be a much bigger issue.

so not to be blunt/rude but those in similar situation (matched FM, wanted OBGYN) are pretty much stuck?

There is nothing that says that since you matched in FM, you must stick it out all 3 years. In fact, especially if you have no intention of actually practicing FM, then I would advise you to jump ship. You may be afraid of pissing off your PD, but your PD would prefer anyone who actually wants to do Family Med as a career. FM may not be competitive, but your PD can find someone to fill your spot, without much difficulty. Keep in mind that there are a lot of people trying to make the jump in the other direction - OB has a very high drop out rate, just in general, and during my residency, we interviewed 3-4 people who were trying to switch out of OB. We also interviewed people trying to switch out of surgery, ortho, anesthesia, and radiology.

Have an open conversation with your PD about your doubts, at some point. Keep an eye on the ACOG clearinghouse - positions open up all the time. And keep an open mind....I had initially wanted to do OB, ended up in family. I went through my OB rotations as an intern, and, surprisingly, disliked them. It wasn't as good a fit for me as I thought it was, and FM was an excellent fit. So keep an open mind and see what unfolds, but don't force yourself to endure an extra residency when you don't really want it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all your input smq123. I have nothing against FM, I do like it, but it just comes second to OBGYN. When I was applying I was completely ok with matching to FM but when I matched FM it was not so much disappointment matching FM but more so not getting OBGYN. I probably in the same boat as the OP and will end up thinking about double boarding. My main concern is if I apply again for the 2014 match and it does not end well for me I will be jobless in a time where the match is getting harder and harder especially for USIMGs.

Thank you for all your input smq123. I have nothing against FM, I do like it, but it just comes second to OBGYN. When I was applying I was completely ok with matching to FM but when I matched FM it was not so much disappointment matching FM but more so not getting OBGYN. I probably in the same boat as the OP and will end up thinking about double boarding. My main concern is if I apply again for the 2014 match and it does not end well for me I will be jobless in a time where the match is getting harder and harder especially for USIMGs.

I guess I don't understand the benefit of double boarding, especially if you don't plan on practicing both.

And I'm not suggesting that you re-apply for the match, but try to switch programs and specialties. It's been done before.

Yeah, what about them? I don't think you understand how dramatically and quickly things change in medicine.

And why would someone who already went through a family medicine residency, apply for an OB/GYN residency and then bail.

Listen bro (or sis), you need to see things as they are, not as how you want them to be. I've been around long enough that I've heard of several anecdotes of attendings who wanted a career change going into another residency, and then bailing shortly thereafter. That is fact. And the PD's know this. They never put people like that the top of their match lists. They took them because they had to. The difference is, that they're not in the same position of desperation to fill their slots with any warm body as they were some years ago.

I'm still going to try.

That is your right, of course.

That being said, the lack of funding is going to be a much bigger issue.

Actually, lack of funding won't be an issue. I think once you complete a residency, the clock on your residency funding from the ACGME effectively resets. But the main issue is the risk from the PD's point of view, and the fact that he'll be unlikely to take it, in the current climate of too many desperate (and often well qualified) MD's and not enough residency slots. I think it's going to be a risk for the PD's to take an attending, and also a taboo.

Actually, lack of funding won't be an issue. I think once you complete a residency, the clock on your residency funding from the ACGME effectively reset.

This is incorrect. The funding clock does not reset just because you've re-entered the match. Once you complete one residency, that's it.

For people who do complete a second residency, or for people who switch from a shorter residency to a longer one, they're not totally unfunded, but the hospital is only getting 50% funding for them. For some programs this is a real problem.

This is incorrect. The funding clock does not reset just because you've re-entered the match. Once you complete one residency, that's it.

For people who do complete a second residency, or for people who switch from a shorter residency to a longer one, they're not totally unfunded, but the hospital is only getting 50% funding for them. For some programs this is a real problem.

So if funding is an issue, is it possible to work out a deal with the PD where a resident that completed a previous residency is only paid half of the stipend?

So if funding is an issue, is it possible to work out a deal with the PD where a resident that completed a previous residency is only paid half of the stipend?

If it's an ACGME residency, probably not. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5904296&postcount=14

If it's a DO residency, maybe. I have to say though, that would be a pretty drastic move, and a potentially untenable one. Furthermore, any residency that is willing to let you make such a crappy deal is a program that is likely of such poor quality and caliber that you would have severe difficulty getting an MFM fellowship from it.

It is certainly possible to do an OB/GYN residency after completing a FM residency. I completed an FM residency and realized that OB/GYN was what I really wanted to do. I am currently a 2nd year resident in OB/GYN.

I felt that I was a very strong candidate when applying in OB/GYN and for the most part programs looked at my background in FM as an asset, not as a liability. And I got interviews at many strong academic programs. My experience has helped me tremendously in OB/GYN. It has not been an easy road...7 years is a long time to be a resident and of course there are moments when it seems like it would nice to take an easier path, BUT I would not be in OB/GYN if I wasn't totally committed, and I love my job.

If this is truly what you want to do, it is possible. The best thing you can do is do well in your program and get as much out of it as possible to set yourself up for the future...whatever that may hold.

It is true that there are some issues with funding, but its not as bleak as others have suggested in previous posts. Most university (academic) programs are able to take on residents with previous residency training....you can contact the individual programs' GME offices for more info.

LARC

I was actually on the verge of giving up on this idea because of how dismal everyone made it seem, but your post brought it back to life. What are some things that made you a strong candidate when you applied to OB/gyn?
and what are some things you did to set yourself up in your FM residency to prepare you for your OB/gyn residency?

If it is what you want, then you should go for it. Dont listen to people on a forum, just take away that it might be harder.

LARC

I was actually on the verge of giving up on this idea because of how dismal everyone made it seem, but your post brought it back to life. What are some things that made you a strong candidate when you applied to OB/gyn?
and what are some things you did to set yourself up in your FM residency to prepare you for your OB/gyn residency?

One of our ob/gyn resident just completed his FM residency. So I think it is possible. Guess good letters of recommendations and good board scores help.

I am finishing my intern year in FP but I have realized this is not the right specialty for me. I want to switch to OBGYN or finish FP and then reapply. Pretty Much the same situation as other people on this board. Thank you for this post and your answers. The difficult decision NW is ever to apply for next year or finish. I'm also scared to talk to my PD. I'll try talking to the advisors and to see how it goes. Thanks again.

If you want to get out of Family Medicine do it now as an intern. Why put yourself through another two years of a specialty you are no longer interested in. smq was correct when he/she said that they will find another body. All Program Directors know that there is always the possibility that someone may leave. No one likes it but you deal with it. If you are a strong enough candidate, an OB program won't mind only getting funding for three years vs four.

There's also a chance you might not match in OB and then you'll be residencyless for the coming year