OAT Scores 8/3/07

BYUIDoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the OAT today. I set a goal for 350, and I got it! I'm way happy with my performance. Reading Comprehension was quite a bit lower than I expected, but I can't complain about my overall score.

QR 380
RC 300
Bio 360
GC 340
OC 360
PH 360
TS 370
AA 350

I've been studying about 20 hours a week for the past three months. Total I think I studied about 300 hours for it, and in the end it was worth every minute!

The materials I used were:

AudioLearn: I recommend this for a very basic overview of the material. I actually transcribed the entire 5 hours because I didn't want to miss anything! I used the notebook as a way to take notes with every other resource I used.

Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT Review: This was a great resource and I highly recommend it, especially if you can get the older version for sooo cheap.

OAT Destroyer: I only went over this once and honestly don't think it as great of a resource as everyone says...especially for $160. It seemed to shoot FAR beyond the scope of the test and was 100 times more difficult than the real thing!

TopScore Pro: This was definitely good to get a feel for how long the test was. I really wish it had full answer explanations.

Kaplan OAT: These practice tests were also a good resource, and for the price I would definately recommend it!

Official OAT practice test from www.opted.org: This is an excellent predictor of the real test. Especially for physics. I got the exact same score on this practice test as the real thing.

I know alot of people post an analysis of each subject with their test results, but I thought recommendations on material was just as important. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Good luck!

P.S. All my material is for sale so if you're interested PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats BYUIdoc! I'm glad your hard work has paid off=). Your scores are great! hopefully I can get scores as good as yours when I take it.. So far I like the destroyer for the physics, but haven't worked on the other subjects with destroyer yet. Which resource(s) helped you out the most on physics? I'm most worried about this subject!

congrats BYUIdoc! I'm glad your hard work has paid off=). Your scores are great! hopefully I can get scores as good as yours when I take it.. So far I like the destroyer for the physics, but haven't worked on the other subjects with destroyer yet. Which resource(s) helped you out the most on physics? I'm most worried about this subject!

In my opinion, the best resource for physics is the official practice test. I think it will really boost your confidence when you take it. I was pretty nervous about physics too, but then I took the practice test and got a 360 (the same score on my real test).

Just to give you an idea of how I was doing on my other practice tests in physics: TopScore I was getting 320s and Kaplan I got a 310 and a 270!

I think Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT review is another great resource. I liked it way better than the destroyer. I must be wierd though, because everyone loves the destroyer, and I've heard a lot of negative about Kaplan (especially for physics). But, it helped me out a lot.

great scores! congrats!

just wondering how your topscore marks (for each test 1,2,3) compared to the real thing? especially the RC section, was the one you did just extremely hard? or were you getting around those scores on the practice exams?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey great scores...

I just had a question. I see that you had a pretty comprehensive studying strategy, with all the resources that you were using. But I just had a quick question, is there any particular reason that you did not choose OAT achiever as a studying tool, or did you figure that you already had enough resources?

Thanks.

great scores! congrats!

just wondering how your topscore marks (for each test 1,2,3) compared to the real thing? especially the RC section, was the one you did just extremely hard? or were you getting around those scores on the practice exams?

thanks!

My TopScore tests were:

Test 1: 320AA RC 31/40
Test 2: 330AA RC 35/40
Test 3: 310AA RC 32/40

According to TopScore, I was scoring about 290, 320, and 300 with only missing that amount of questions. I thought that was wrong, because according to what is on opted.org, I thought it should have been more around 350 - 380. So, I'm not really sure what to think. All I know is that TopScore seemed quite a bit easier for RC. The passage length seemed about the same, but the questions on the real thing were not what I was expecting. It seemed like almost all of them you had to make inferences rather than just find word for word the answer.

Hope that helps.

Hey great scores...

I just had a question. I see that you had a pretty comprehensive studying strategy, with all the resources that you were using. But I just had a quick question, is there any particular reason that you did not choose OAT achiever as a studying tool, or did you figure that you already had enough resources?

Thanks.

There are a few reasons why I didn't choose achiever. First, I found TopScore before I ever even heard of achiever. Second, I'm not a fan of resources that have practice questions that are WAY harder than what are on the real thing. I think that's why I didn't like OAT Destroyer. Third, you're right, I just felt I had plenty of resources and plenty of practice tests so I didn't think I needed to have another.

I definately think TopScore should give full explanations on all the questions though. That's the one thing I didn't like about that product.

I just took the OAT today. I set a goal for 350, and I got it! I'm way happy with my performance. Reading Comprehension was quite a bit lower than I expected, but I can't complain about my overall score.

QR 380
RC 300
Bio 360
GC 340
OC 360
PH 360
TS 370
AA 350

Fantastic scores! Your hard work DEFINITELY paid off!

:clap::clap:

The Academic Average is an average of all your scores rounded to the nearest 10. The Total Science score is correlated with how many questions you get right out of all the sciences, and is not an average.

I agree, it's interesting that I got a 370 TS when not a single one of my science scores was that high. To get an idea of how many questions correlate to which scores, you can look it up at www.opted.org. It's at the end of the practice test.

QR 380
RC 300
Bio 360
GC 340
OC 360
PH 360
TS 370
AA 350

I've been studying about 20 hours a week for the past three months. Total I think I studied about 300 hours for it, and in the end it was worth every minute!

The materials I used were:

AudioLearn: I recommend this for a very basic overview of the material. I actually transcribed the entire 5 hours because I didn't want to miss anything! I used the notebook as a way to take notes with every other resource I used.

Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT Review: This was a great resource and I highly recommend it, especially if you can get the older version for sooo cheap.

OAT Destroyer: I only went over this once and honestly don't think it as great of a resource as everyone says...especially for $160. It seemed to shoot FAR beyond the scope of the test and was 100 times more difficult than the real thing!

TopScore Pro: This was definitely good to get a feel for how long the test was. I really wish it had full answer explanations.

Kaplan OAT: These practice tests were also a good resource, and for the price I would definately recommend it!

Official OAT practice test from www.opted.org: This is an excellent predictor of the real test. Especially for physics. I got the exact same score on this practice test as the real thing.

I know alot of people post an analysis of each subject with their test results, but I thought recommendations on material was just as important. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Good luck!

P.S. All my material is for sale so if you're interested PM me.

Wow Great Scores, Congrats! I was just wondering, did you study by yourself or with a group of people? Do you think it would be helpful to study with a bunch of people, to help you stay focused? thanks.

I studied alone and I preferred it that way. It really depends on your study style. I get too side tracked with other people studying with me. Also, while studying alone I was able to work on the things that I wanted to instead of studying what the group wanted to study. Anyways, it really comes down to your study style.

I agree with ogilily. I had plans to study with a group, but after about a week of it I decided to study on my own. It was far less productive for me. It may have been nice to get together once a week for a few hours and help each other, but other than that, I think studying on your own is the way to go.

hey congrats on your scores! :D

I too am planning on using the Kaplan MCAT review books as well as the Kaplan OAT book with 2 practice exams. However, my set of Kaplan MCAT for some reason does not have a Math/ Q Reasoning section to study from. Do you recommend any specific study book for the Q Reasoning section?

Also, did you feel as though the MCAT review books were TOO in depth or were they lacking in some parts?

where does one find the "audiolearn" study material?

I know that Examkrackers has the MCAT Audio Osmosis... not sure if that is what others were referring to. Google Examkrackers and then check out their MCAT Online Store. You should be able to find them there. Don't forget to look at the SDN Classifieds Forum too.

sorry, but i can not find it. like you said i clicked on OAT optometry admission test, and it went to another page. i can not find a option "practice test" on that page. is it free or what?

sorry, but i can not find it. like you said i clicked on OAT optometry admission test, and it went to another page. i can not find a option "practice test" on that page. is it free or what?

Click on the link I gave you. In the gray box on the right hand side - right above the red writing that says "You will need a valid MasterCard or VISA credit card to pay for application or score report requests." It is two links above that says Test Preparation Materials and Sample Test.

Click on sample test - it is a PDF file and will pop right up. You need Adobe.