OAT done 8/7/07

EyeQ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though my scores aren't as high as some of the people on this forum but I thought it'd be nice to share. This is my second time taking that OAT. The first time I got 320AA/TS. Anyways, here goes.

QR 340
GC 340
BIO 360
OC 370
PHY 320
RC - an embarrassing, disgusting 260! :mad:
TS 360
AA 330

My thoughts:

RC: I can't believe I got a 260! That brought my AA down a lot! I thought the passages weren't that bad. The passages were interesting to read actually. My method was to read each passage carefully and jot down key points. I thought this method worked well but I guess I was wrong big time. On all 3 Achiever tests I was getting 350s so I expected scores between 300-330 but I was not even close :(. It doesn't help that I really had to go pee at the start of the second passage. That's what I get for drinking so much juice in the morning. Someone suggested that you shouldn't drink coffee before the exam so I took that person's suggestion. I'm a coffee drink btw.

BIO: I just did a lot of practice problems from Achiever, Kaplan tests, just whatever I can get my hands on. I type out all the ones that I got wrong and review them whenever I can. The questions weren't tricky, they were straight forward. I had two problems that showed me a picture. I had no idea. I just guessed. I had a strong foundation in biology so that helped a lot.

GC: There weren't that many calculation problems. Know your conjugate acids/bases, periodic trends. I can't remember the rest.

OC: There weren't that many reaction problems. I was hoping to get more of that. Make sure you know your reagents. SN1/SN2/E1/E2.

PHY: I was really happy to get this score. Physics has always been my weakest area. I just don't get physics. On all of my practice exams I was getting 260s and on a good day 270. The real test asks really basic questions. There were a handful of kinematic questions but they weren't too difficult. There were about 2 optic questions. I memorized about 95% of physic formulas. I don't know if that helped or not.

Math: I didn't have time to study much for math but then again even if I had time I wouldn't have scored any higher. I made sure to do all the easy questions first then saved the wordy word problems for later. For the ones I didn't know I just click B, marked, then moved on. There were more computation problems than word problems and those are very doable. Memorize your sine, cos stuff b/c there were about 4 questions on those. I memorized most of the conversations and also memorized the unit circle (there's a pattern so it wasn't that hard to memorize).

I studied for about 2 months off and on. Some days I would study for 5-6 hours, some days 2 hrs, some days zero. Most weekends I get very little done because there is always something to do on the weekends for me. Towards the end I didn't crank up the studying hours or anything. I just took things a little light at the end b/c I was exhausted. Materials I used include Kaplan subject tests, Kaplan small book that includes 2 sample test, Achiever, Princeton MCAT. I also bought Examkrackers verbal reasoning and 1001 Physics questions. It was a waste of money b/c I didn't have time to use them. I did do a couple of problems on those and thought they weren't geared towards OAT.

Right when I finished the QR sections, my heart was racing like no other. My stomach was turning and my body was shaking (partially b/c I was really hungry). I had to cover my eyes b/c I can't stand to see my scores. When I peeped, the first thing I saw was a 260 so I was about to faint. But I'm glad my other scores didn't hover around 260s.

If you have any questions, please ask. Good luck to those of you who are taking the OAT soon. I can finally breathe (well sort of, RC still sticks in my mind like a sore thumb).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey great scores...

I am planning on writing the OAT close to the end of this month....just around the corner...:)

I also am not that great at physics, and am terrified the most about this section on the test...

Thus my question...were the questions for physics more theoretical, or mostly calculation based (and if calculation questions, easy calculation questions or one of those long *** calculation questions that take forever? i.e. projectile)

Thanks.

Hey great scores...

I am planning on writing the OAT close to the end of this month....just around the corner...:)

I also am not that great at physics, and am terrified the most about this section on the test...

Thus my question...were the questions for physics more theoretical, or mostly calculation based (and if calculation questions, easy calculation questions or one of those long *** calculation questions that take forever? i.e. projectile)

Thanks.

If I can get a score of 320 in physics, anybody can! Seriously, I learned nothing in college physics. I basically studied everything from scratch. The questions were really simple plug and chug. Just know how to utilize all of your kinematic formulas. I would say about 30% were calculation based. I don't remember having to use that many scratch paper for the physics section. Some theoretical questions were just way over my head so I just marked B or C then moved on.

Thanks, You have no idea how much better that makes me feel about that section of the test! Congrats on your scores once again! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I just wanted to know if the Bio section contained many questions on classification of organisms?

Hi,

I just wanted to know if the Bio section contained many questions on classification of organisms?

I didn't have any questions on animal biology this time. On my last test I did though.

Even though my scores aren't as high as some of the people on this forum but I thought it'd be nice to share. This is my second time taking that OAT. The first time I got 320AA/TS. Anyways, here goes.

QR 340
GC 340
BIO 360
OC 370
PHY 320
RC - an embarrassing, disgusting 260! :mad:
TS 360
AA 330

congrats! that's such a good improvement....u should definitely be proud of that!.....and don't worry too much about the rc, my lowest score was in that also (280). good luck with the rest of ur apps!

What kind of passages did you guys have on the RC? where there lots of interpretive questions? or more fact finding?

what were you guys scoring on RC when taking practice sessions

thanks

good luck with applications!