OAT achiever vs. actual

lilharm15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how well OAT achiever scores correlate with the actual test.

I was hoping people could post here their OAT achiever scores vs. their real scores.

Or, if you took any other practice tests, name them and then provide your real score.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my tests reset before taking the 3rd set of tests from OAT Achiever and herewith:

AA 320 ---------> 360
Physics 300 -----> 350
QR 320 ---------> 350
RC 350 ---------> 340
Biology 310 -----> 360
GChem 320 -----> 380
OChem 330 -----> 380
TS 320 ---------> 370

The entire tests from OAT Achiever are generally a lot harder than the real things except for RC. It has truly served me good by pointing out to me where I need to work harder on. I would suggest going through every question and its solution from this guide including those you got them right. Doing this will help boost your understanding for certain concepts to quite an extent …

I'm a bit new at this, what is an OAT Achiever? A program or book?

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I bought the OAT achiever a few months ago and have found it very helpful in my studies. Where are these solutions and guide you talk about? After I finish a section of test, I can see what I put down, and what the correct response is, but where can I find further explanation? Thanks for your help

pippistrellodaq said:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I bought the OAT achiever a few months ago and have found it very helpful in my studies. Where are these solutions and guide you talk about? After I finish a section of test, I can see what I put down, and what the correct response is, but where can I find further explanation? Thanks for your help

Those that you're seeing are from the score reports. To look at the explanation, just start the same test you have ended and you're going to see a "Show Solution" button appearing at the right hand bottom corner on each page. Click on it and that's where the solution.

You should probably get your detail report printed out where you may tally your responses to the explanations. That way it will also bring to your attention what particular topic or subtopic you need to work further on ...

Yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine who will be taking the MCAT. She told me about a kaplan couse (around $1000) that gaurantees the score that you want to achieve. If you do not achieve this score, then you will be refunded the money.

I went to the website and see no traces of this. Does anyone know what I'm talking about,.. and is it even worth the money?

That doesn't make sense. If that's their claim, then by logic, wouldn't everyone say they'd want to get a perfect score?

Your friend probably heard wrong, or you misinterpreted her explanation.

a1bui said:
That doesn't make sense. If that's their claim, then by logic, wouldn't everyone say they'd want to get a perfect score?

Your friend probably heard wrong, or you misinterpreted her explanation.

I asked her the same exact question. I think she said that it had to be "reasonable". But who wouldn't want to say that a perfect score is reasonable.. there are those that strive for that score! I have no idea.. i just wanted to know if anyone else had done any research on it and heard something similar to it.

this is weird, i thought i replied to this question but i guess not...anyways, i'm currently taking the kaplan course, and the kaplan guarantee is not for the score you WANT but it's a relation to your baseline score which you get when you take the diagnostic exam on the first day. they guarantee you a higher score on the actual OAT/MCAT/DAT/etc than that. of course that'll happen though, cuz their diags are pretty darn hard!! i took them 4 times already (kaplan has a lot of free exams at my school...and they always use the same test, the diagnostic test, so i've seen it so many times). the 4th time i got a 400 cuz i remembered many of the answers, but i think the first time i got a 320 or something. there's catches to the guarantee too...but they're pretty easy - you just have to go to every class and do all the homework (which is a lot of homework, but it's do-able, plus you'd better do it if you're paying $1000 for this stuff =P).

http://www.kaptest.com/hsg/

Kaplan is committed to your success. We stand behind our programs and your results with the Kaplan Higher Score Guarantee.**

If you feel you're not ready to take the exam, you can study with us again for free for the next test date or for 3 more months for computer-based tests.

No matter how many points you improve, if you're not satisfied with your overall score, you can study with us again for free for the next test date or for 3 more months for computer-based tests.

And if for any reason you don't raise your overall score, you can study with us again for free or get your money back.

All we ask is that you meet our basic study requirements: Attend class, do your homework, and take all the required practice exams. It's that simple.

**You must be enrolled in a Kaplan full classroom, tutoring, or online course that began on or after August 11, 2003 and attend all required classes or make-up sessions, complete all required tests, and complete all of your required homework as outlined on your student homepage. If you feel that you are not ready to take the exam or are not satisfied with your score on the actual exam, you may repeat the full course for free for classroom and online students, and complete the full classroom course for free plus purchase additional tutoring hours at $35/hour for tutoring students. Your free repeat course must prepare you for a test date within the next 3 months, or the next available test date. If your total score is not higher on the actual exam than your earlier, official test score or your Kaplan diagnostic (if you did not take the actual test before), you may repeat the full program for free or get a full refund. To invoke the Higher Score Guarantee, you must notify Kaplan within 90 days after the date your course access ends. To be eligible for the refund, you must present a copy of your official score report, your diagnostic score results, and your course materials at the time you invoke the guarantee. The Higher Score Guarantee only applies to Kaplan courses taken and completed within the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, and France.

jc812 said:
Yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine who will be taking the MCAT. She told me about a kaplan couse (around $1000) that gaurantees the score that you want to achieve. If you do not achieve this score, then you will be refunded the money.

I went to the website and see no traces of this. Does anyone know what I'm talking about,.. and is it even worth the money?

i think the condition is when you sign up for the course, they make you take a diagnostic test in the beginning. whatever you get on that test will be your pre determining score to beat. after you take the real OAT and if you score below the diagnostic exam, they will let you retake the course. I dont know about whole money refund thing. My friend went through that process. I think the Kaplan course is kinda of useless because they don't teach you. they just show techniques on how to take the exam. my friend and i got the same score (310) where i just studied on my own and he took the course.

if you think the course might help your study habits then i would recommend it but i believe you can study on your own with supplemental materials and you'll be fine.

the good thing about kaplan, from what i hear, is that they let you retake the course until you feel prepared and this is regardless if you have taken the actual oat or not. my friends who took kaplan for the SATs, LSATs and OATs have all told me that they took the course twice before taking the actual test for the first time

the instructors may discourage retaking the course by saying that you're ready for it and whatnot but you can still do it. it'll probably make you feel more comfortable with the test even if you are fully prepared.

lilharm15 said:

I was hoping people could post here their OAT achiever scores vs. their real scores.

Or, if you took any other practice tests, name them and then provide your real score.

is oat achiever a program which is downloaded on to your computer? or is it something mailed to u?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can download it. Check out http://www.3tquest.com/
Be absolutely sure that you don't install it after downloading it if you still run Windows 98, it has a file with the same name as an essential Windows file and will screw up both programs. I would recommend TopScore, however, if you are interested in practice exams. . . (Only from experience.) Best of luck

I'm not really sure what OAT achiever scores are, and I didn't take the Kaplan OAT course either. I did take the practice tests from the Kaplan OAT review tests book that someone had gotten from the course tho, and ultimately did better on my actual OAT test. I didn't find it much easier, although I thought the math was actually harder. I don't remember my scores exactly, but on the sample test from opted.org site I got mostly 350's and on the actual I got

QR: 330
RC: 360
Biology: 360
GChem: 360
Ochem: 390
Physics: 360
TS: 380
AA: 360

When I took the Kaplan practice tests I did lower too; my scores ranged between 300-350. However, I didn't feel that the actual test was easier.

The following are my July OAT scores:

Maths 380
Reading 360
Bio 380
Gen Chem 370
Org chem 390
Phys 400
TS 390
AA 380

My OAT Achiever mock results range from 330 to 360 and can safely conclude that the actual test is easier than this guide in generality. While practice questions serve to reveal my weaknesses, I have to acknowledge that the most complete info comes from my old college textbooks still. OAT can be very doable if you put in the hard work and commitment to it. I hope the rest of you may some what ace this standardized exam too. :luck:

Mine on June 28 2006 :

Biology : 370
Gen. Chem : 390
Org. Chem : 380
Reading : 350
Physics : 380
Quantitatve : 370
Total Science : 380
Academic Average : 370

Can't really recall my exact OAT Achiever scores, but believe they are generally 20 - 60 below my actual results. Like everybody else says, the best part of OAT Achiever is the challenging problems together with the detailed explanations they provide. These really made me work doubly hard and often made me explore into other related subjects, leading me to really gaining adequate knowledge on topics I used to be complacent with. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Those that you're seeing are from the score reports. To look at the explanation, just start the same test you have ended and you're going to see a "Show Solution" button appearing at the right hand bottom corner on each page. Click on it and that's where the solution.

You should probably get your detail report printed out where you may tally your responses to the explanations. That way it will also bring to your attention what particular topic or subtopic you need to work further on ...

Those solutions are truly helpful though. They tend to lead you from one concept to another if you allow yourself brain storming on questions you missed.

did anyone take the kaplan OAT full-lenth exams?

i wanted to see how those compare to the real OAT...

THANKS...any comments would be great!

Hi,
Does anyone still have the Liberation Key to the OAT Achiever? Thanks

did anyone take the kaplan OAT full-lenth exams?

i wanted to see how those compare to the real OAT...

THANKS...any comments would be great!

This topic has been on the forums for quite a few times now. But my personal take on your question is as follows:

My kaplan full-lengths scores are mostly in the range of 330-360 AA. My actual OAT scores were somewhat higher than that. However, I wouldn't say that the actual OAT is "easier" than the kaplan full-lengths since I actually thought the test I took last weekend was just as hard as the kaplan tests (for the Natural Sciences section at least). Good luck studying!

My OAT scores ( 360 - 390 ) are generally 30-90 points higher than achiever's. This guide truly made me work super harder, and I believe this is one important factor to getting great results on the actual big day. My school advisor, who later came to know about OAT Achiever, also highly advocates its usefulness in helping prepare candidates for the real exam in terms of both the amount of materials tested and the formats of the tests. Try it out, guys, if you've not already done so. It's an excellent program that works!

It's good to learn that OAT Achiever has helped you guys achieve wonderful scores for the OAT. I would think that the achiever is indispensable, considering this the only computerized program with detailed explanations, and challenging problems geared with the right contents to work on.

Does anyone know how I can reset the OAT achiever program so that it clears my scores & I can take it again?

Hey guys! The Achiever is truly an awesome program with great explanations. It has pretty much boosted my sciences on the 2nd attempted OAT. My advice is ... go get it if you've not taken your OAT yet. ;)

I agree. Achiever tests are way harder than the actual, but it challenges you. I was seriously bombing the achiever tests, and scored a 350 TS and 330 AA yesterday on the real test, which is somewhere between 40-60 points higher than the achiever. Its a great program, wish I had more time to use it.

I agree. Achiever tests are way harder than the actual, but it challenges you. I was seriously bombing the achiever tests, and scored a 350 TS and 330 AA yesterday on the real test, which is somewhere between 40-60 points higher than the achiever. Its a great program, wish I had more time to use it.

Great job, tenacious, and congrats on your OAT scores. Look up to the standards of achiever's questions and treat them like the real exams. You'll be amazed with your final performance on the big day.:thumbup:

Hi Everyone,

Are there only 3 practice exams on the OAT Achiever? I am assuming all of you did all of the questions and went through every answer - including the ones you got wrong AND the ones you got correct? Hopefully I will have the same luck that you all had with Achiever!

Thanks,
rani82

Hi Everyone,

Are there only 3 practice exams on the OAT Achiever? I am assuming all of you did all of the questions and went through every answer - including the ones you got wrong AND the ones you got correct? Hopefully I will have the same luck that you all had with Achiever!

Thanks,
rani82

3 full-length sample exams that're divided into 12 individual ones plus a DEMO. Do them as you said here and make full use of the detailed explanations. I'm sure you'll reap great results for your OAT too!:)

Hey everyone, i have some questions please help!

is math section in the achiever harder than kaplan's/ actual OAT? ESPECIALLY all the trig functions (in achiever) that they seem to want you to know. Can someone please tell me how much trig you really need to know for the real test? and how much more/ less difficult it is? I just found out yesterday that there is no calculators allowed and it freaked me out a little haha.

Also, it seems like the Ochem section (of achiever) covers eveeeerything (say, aldol condensation which is covered in the beginning of the 3rd quarter at my school). So what i want to know is if the range of material covered in achiever is representive of the actual test.

one more! the physics section in achiever seems to want you to know lots of equations, and is comprised of mostly calculation problems, while the kaplan practice exams are more critical thinking types. what's the real test like?

that's all thank you!

is math section in the achiever harder than kaplan's/ actual OAT? ESPECIALLY all the trig functions (in achiever) that they seem to want you to know. Can someone please tell me how much trig you really need to know for the real test? and how much more/ less difficult it is? I just found out yesterday that there is no calculators allowed and it freaked me out a little haha.

I think they're pretty on par with each other. Flip to the inner font or inner back of any pre-college textbook that covers trigonometry, the list of identities there found is usually what you'll need to know.

Also, it seems like the Ochem section (of achiever) covers eveeeerything (say, aldol condensation which is covered in the beginning of the 3rd quarter at my school). So what i want to know is if the range of material covered in achiever is representive of the actual test.

It wouldn't hurt to widen your scope of coverage on this section, but most problems that appeared on my OAT come from my first semester of OChem coursework.

one more! the physics section in achiever seems to want you to know lots of equations, and is comprised of mostly calculation problems, while the kaplan practice exams are more critical thinking types. what's the real test like?

The real things will be a combination of both. But the good news is that they tend to be easier and more straight forward.

I took the test recently and the OAT achiever was very helpful. The math was pretty much the same. I also used Topscore and that was okay compared to the Achiever. The OAT achiever has more calculation problems like on physics and chem but i think it better prepares you for the test. The actual test has more theory questions.

And don't get me started on the reading comp on the actual OAT. That section has to go. I don't know if it was just me but the questions they asked had more than one right answer. I don't have enough time to go through the reading to find which one is more correct than the other. Or those, which sentence is true...both, none, the first one but not the second, or the second but not the first. UGH!

Anyway, the OAT achiever was great. I would say that it is great for practice tests!

P.S. you do need to know trig. for the math section and i only took org 1 and that was just enough for me.

awesome seems like you did pretty well! i was going to take mine today (would've ended by now) but i postponed it until tuesday haha.

anyway good luck with school apps!

Just got achiever this week and am hoping it'll work good for me like you guys said here. Will keep the SDNers posted when I'm finally done with the OAT. ;)

Hey DiamondShamrock,

When are you planning on taking the OAT?

Good luck!

Hey Diamond Shamrock,

Good luck - mine is scheduled for the 22nd and at this point I just want to get it over with!!

I'm not really sure what OAT achiever scores are, and I didn't take the Kaplan OAT course either. I did take the practice tests from the Kaplan OAT review tests book that someone had gotten from the course tho, and ultimately did better on my actual OAT test. I didn't find it much easier, although I thought the math was actually harder. I don't remember my scores exactly, but on the sample test from opted.org site I got mostly 350's and on the actual I got

QR: 330
RC: 360
Biology: 360
GChem: 360
Ochem: 390
Physics: 360
TS: 380
AA: 360

When I took the Kaplan practice tests I did lower too; my scores ranged between 300-350. However, I didn't feel that the actual test was easier.

Alright so I can't get any kaplan oat classes in quebec over here so how did yu get your tests? do you still have them- could you sell them to me by any chance? thanks a lot! I will be in toronto in the summer in may probably

Hey folks. Took mine yesterday finally, and the $10 rescheduling fee is a little nuisance though. Here's what I got:

QR : 350 (Pretty comparable to achiever, but seems easier to me)
RC : 330 (Harder than achiever; quite a number of indirect Q's from each passage)
Bio : 360 (Pretty direct compared to achiever, only one Q appeared in Roman numeral style)
GC : 380 (Less calculations compared to achiever, and the maths involved is pretty simple)
OC : 380 (Easier than achiever; about 60% of Q's dealt with my first semester of Organic Chem class notes)
Physics : 360 (Couldn't ask for more since I used to be weak on it. Achiever greatly helped me better understand many fundamental concepts from its solutions)
TS : 370
AA : 360

Hope to make it still for this year with these late scores.

Hey folks. Took mine yesterday finally, and the $10 rescheduling fee is a little nuisance though. Here's what I got:

QR : 350 (Pretty comparable to achiever, but seems easier to me)
RC : 330 (Harder than achiever; quite a number of indirect Q's from each passage)
Bio : 360 (Pretty direct compared to achiever, only one Q appeared in Roman numeral style)
GC : 380 (Less calculations compared to achiever, and the maths involved is pretty simple)
OC : 380 (Easier than achiever; about 60% of Q's dealt with my first semester of Organic Chem class notes)
Physics : 360 (Couldn't ask for more since I used to be weak on it. Achiever greatly helped me better understand many fundamental concepts from its solutions)
TS : 370
AA : 360

Hope to make it still for this year with these late scores.

Fantastic scores, Sham. I bet you must have been accepted by ADCOM and get ready for O-school, huh! :hardy:

Alright so I can't get any kaplan oat classes in quebec over here so how did yu get your tests? do you still have them- could you sell them to me by any chance? thanks a lot! I will be in toronto in the summer in may probably

There is an online version of the Kaplan OAT classes. You could check into that.

Why don't you buy the damn thing yourself? Quit trying to leech off of others.

When I bought achiever, I had to turn in my product code number (I think that's what it's called) so the software could be activated with a specific code. Even if you have another pass, I don't know if it will work. Anyways, you don't have to be so mean about it. What if he can't afford it

When I bought achiever, I had to turn in my product code number (I think that's what it's called) so the software could be activated with a specific code. Even if you have another pass, I don't know if it will work. Anyways, you don't have to be so mean about it. What if he can't afford it

Please, don't even start lecturing me. If someone is serious about pursuing a career such as optometry a person can pick up an extra shift at minimum wage and have enough to buy it. There's a thing called honesty and getting a code from another (whether it works or not, that's irrelevant) doesn't fall into that category. Don't be so mean? Please, what I wrote is not mean its merely the truth. Go back to your fantasy world if you think I'm being mean by saying that.

Get it folks. It's worth the $50 on this software. And oh... I forgot to mention that if you come across any question you don't understand from Achiever after going through the solution and doing your own research, you can actually contact Raymond, the creator of these awesome tests. :thumbup: